0.75%
    Other / Don't see my parents, etc.
    0.75%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy1992)
    Yep. I always say it before I go to bed
    Same :yes:

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm an emotional cripple and have a crap relationship with my parents. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    can't say it. just feels unnatural because it's not been the norm from a young age. But, I obviously do.

ReputationRep:
    All the time:indiff:, especially to my dad which seems is the opposite of everyone here.

ReputationRep:
    I can't either, used to be able to when i was younger though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever said it. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    no i dont say it, sometimes i reply you to or i just keep quite.

ReputationRep:
    I don't say it because I don't love them. Anyway they've never said it to me in my whole life, maybe that's why I don't love them :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Can't say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy1992)
    Yep. I always say it before I go to bed
    Exactly the same 'Night love you!' every night :P x

I can and do say it to one.

ReputationRep:
    To my mum, yes. To my dad, no.

Mainly because my mum's always looked out for me and is very sentimental about family, but my dad's not much of a family man. I think my dad sees me as an annoying younger tennant who will be moving out soon than a son, he's not one for conversation although when I was at uni he'd phoned once a month for the most awkward conversation ever.

I think saying I love you becomes a lot easier after I moved out the house. Knowing I may not see my mum for another 3 or 4 months means I love you becomes a lot more important. I guess it's down to the old "What if they die tomorrow" cliche, but it's nice.

ReputationRep:
    yeah im a 'you too' kinda guy.. i dont actually say ' i love you'

ReputationRep:
    No, I can't say it, we don't do expression or emotions in our household!
    I can remember my mom saying it to me once and she probably said it a bit when I was little.
    'tis a bit sad really
    My friend says it to her family at the end of every phone call and I sometimes get a tad jealous at how often hr parents tell her!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, daily, be it when im coming off the phone to one of them, or saying goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I don't think I ever have, I don't feel comfortable doing it. It's probably just because I haven't grown up with them saying it to me. The only time I remember them ever saying it to me is when I was really ill.

ReputationRep:
    I say it my parents all the time. I guess usually guys find it a lot more difficult to say then girls. I say it to all the people that I love. My 3 best friends, my sis and bro and mum and dad. Sometimes my gran and grandad - but rarely as I'm not that close to them.

ReputationRep:
    no i never have..they know it..i don't need to confirm it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleStudent)
    I'm interested in knowing how many people are comfortable saying "I love you" to your parents.

I find it hard to say it back, and although I know that I do inside I can't bring myself to say it. This may sound strange. I've heard these words on phone calls, etc, and would respond with something like "you to", or simply "bye".

Is there a simple general answer as to why some people struggle to express feelings of love openly towards their parents? It must have something to do with childhood and growing up. I'd love to hear what other people think about this whole issue.

Thanks
    I find it hard to say anything like "I love you" to my step dad, I just get embarrassed and feel that its all too soppy, although I do care. With my mother on the other hand I can quite happily say it when the mood takes me. I'm not sure why some people fine it difficult. Perhaps expressing their feelings in general is difficult for them or perhaps they don't trust their parents because saying "I love you" is a big deal, it's really putting your heart on the line if you mean it.

On the other hand if parents never really say it their kin then it could be how someone is raised. I know my mum used to push me away if I hugged her too much as a child, consequently I have a real issue with touching people. I don't like hugging friends etc. It takes a lot for me to be comfortable enough with someone to actually touch them a lot and it makes me uncomfortable if too much contact is made with a stranger.

ReputationRep:
    Now I think about it, I can't say it to my friends. They'll end an email or text or even as they're saying bye with "love you" and I just don't like saying it back. If I do say it, it's because I feel like i should, in return, but I'm sure it comes out sounding insincere. I do love them of course I just don't enjoy saying it to them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.