I'm female and I can only say it to my mum
    12.78%
    I'm male and I can only say it to my dad
    0%
    I'm female and I can only say it to my dad
    0.75%
    Other / Don't see my parents, etc.
    0.75%

I find it so lovely that so many of you on here are able to tell your parents you love them.

Unfortunately I'm part of the group that finds it almost physically impossible; my family are not very affectionate and never have been. My dad gets quite upset about this sometimes and says he wishes he'd done things differently when my sisters and I were younger so we would be more affectionate. It's not really his fault though, I think people are born either affectionate or not.

The only time my dad told me he loved me was a few years ago when my sister started going out with a guy who used to sexually harrass me at school and we had a bit of a heart to heart. I was still unable to say it back though I just really wish I could - I love my dad so much, and would be devastated if anything happened to him and i had never told him (although I'm sure he knows that I do).

My mum, on the other hand - a whole different story. Cannot stand the woman.

ReputationRep:
    haha im the only female in the poll that can only say it to their dad... lol! i have a really good realtionship with my dad and we get on really well so i dont see why i wouldnt tell him how much he means to me however dont have a very good relationship with my mum at all and its all rather awquard and annoying..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

My mum, on the other hand - a whole different story. Cannot stand the woman.
    I know the feeling!

ReputationRep:
    My parents are sick of hearing it lol
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm fine with saying it and do so frequently

My husband, on the other hand, really struggles to say it to his mum, and vice versa. They almost never say it, even though they do love each other.

I don't love my parents.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not at all. Barely hug anyone either, particularly not my dad. Gonna make for an awkward goodbye when I disappear for Germany to a year!

ReputationRep:
    I say it to my mum quite often and give her hugs. My Dad is off the scene and doesn't deserve the time of day.

ReputationRep:
    I used to say it to both my parents all the time when I was younger. Don't say it much anymore; not because I don't or because I find it uncomfortable, but because I know that they already know it. "Love" is just a word. It's the things you do to express it that really matter. Hugs are the best.

ReputationRep:
    I say it like every day! Sortof whenever I go to bed/say goodbye to them. I probably say it more to my mum though.

ReputationRep:
    No, I was taught to refrain from barefaced lying.

ReputationRep:
    I would say it to them if they said it to me

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all the time

ReputationRep:
    I've never said to anyone in my entire life that I love them, and to my memory no one has said it to me. I didn't realize people said this ****, just thought it was only said in soppy American movies. In my experience it's relatively obvious when/if someone loves you.

ReputationRep:
    I only say it to my mum, then I hug her. x]

This thread is depressing... Especially those saying they don't love their parents. They can't be that bad, can they? Appreciate them while they're still around, I say. Unless they're outright abusive, I can't see any realistic reason not to love your parents.

I'm a guy, and I have no trouble saying it. I'm very close with both my parents; we have a sort of banterous relationship, where we're more like good friends than parent and child. I guess that must be rare.

ReputationRep:
    I feel uncomfortable saying it because I've never said it. The phrase was never used in the household, it would feel awkward to start using it now

ReputationRep:
    It's only a few saying they don't love their parents compared to the amounts saying they do love them but find it hard to express.

ReputationRep:
    say it to my mum everyday. I am really really close to her.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.