http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-police-advice

The *******s :mad:

ReputationRep:
    This is the sort of BS that Alex Jones et al were telling us years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by René Artois)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-police-advice

The *******s :mad:
    Well, it IS the guardian, so left wing Dribble..

But i must admit that this police state thing has gone waaaaaaayy to far...

Its also ironic that a supposed left wing goverment is acting like a right wing sub facist party..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    well the court of human rights has no real power here. It gives a judgment, but there is no reason for us to implement their decision. This is one of those illiberal things that the Conservatives would more traditionally do, but now is a very new labour kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    Well, it IS the guardian, so left wing Dribble..

But i must admit that this police state thing has gone waaaaaaayy to far...

Its also ironic that a supposed left wing goverment is acting like a right wing sub facist party..
    I agree I can't see it changing either in the near future. Not enough people seem to be aware of it *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    OH MY ****ING GOD NO!!1112! just think of what they can do with our DNA!!!1one12

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should have a biometric ID card and should be DNA fingerprinted at birth and the records kept in perpetuity.

If you've got nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to worry about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Everyone should have a biometric ID card and should be DNA fingerprinted at birth and the records kept in perpetuity.

If you've got nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to worry about...
    What a ****** stupid thing to say? If a person with aspergers syndrome can hack into the US computers, what to say a terrorist can't hack into the database in the UK. A person can easily hack into and change stuff such as the dna on the database.

Why do we need to an id card? When we have passports, bills etc...to prove who that person genuinely is...In order to obtain an id card you need identification, so the id is frankly pointless...

Even the head of MI5 intelligence services, police forces etc... say we do not an id card, or have keep the dna on the database. It is going against privacy rights of individuals living in the UK. They even said we don't need these measures...

The real threat in the UK is from Gordon Brown and the labour party.

I have nothing to hide, but I certainly am against this Politcally correct Big Brother Orwellian dictatorship in this country.

ReputationRep:
    No system is perfect, but not having a system at all is far worse than having one that doesn't work properly...

As to hacking and abuse. Well that is the risk you take all the time with your financial dealings and so on, and currently it is simplicity itself for someone to steal your identity. At least with a centralised DNA and id database (obviously not linked to the internet in any way shape or form, so as to obviate the risk of external hacking pretty much altogether, never mind of course reducing the risk of DOS attacks to zero), there should be a reference system in place where you can emphatically prove who you are, therefore making it that much harder for criminals to hijack people's identities.

And of course if something does go wrong, then you have someone to call to account. Currently if you are the victim of identity theft, or even just plan CC fraud, the burden of proof tends to fall upon you to prove that you weren't in fact in Belgium to be able to buy that £1000 sat nav system, etc...

ReputationRep:
    The constant addition of names for innocent every day people has nothing to do with human rights, nor is it a breach of it. It's just daft and probably quite unjust unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's a bit crap :P I mean just who do the government think they are, Tescos?

ReputationRep:
    what a load of nonsense. government is just getting to big for my liking.

This gives the government a lot of power. It sounds crazy, but potentially we could be framed by the government with this information for all sorts of things. it may seem an impossible idea but who klnows what is round the corner years after our lifetimes? that's why big government is bad....usre a dna database may have some benefit but the reason to not have one is cos that is a safeguard against big, arbitrary and totalitarian government.

And, as somebody who has no criminal history to hide i can confideently say that it is not just people with something to hide who worry about the database. unless you have a remarkable faith in the government's intentions....not just at present but for the remainder of this countries existence (after all, it will almost certainly become a permanent thing) then you will naturally be worried....whether you have som ething to hide or not being irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if they have my dna :dontknow:

It's not like I plan on committing any crimes, it just doesn't bother me. I think it's quite helpful and would help to catch criminals more quickly, obviously if they are on the database.

The only qualm I would have is the cost/time required to generate such a system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    I don't care if they have my dna :dontknow:

It's not like I plan on committing any crimes, it just doesn't bother me. I think it's quite helpful and would help to catch criminals more quickly, obviously if they are on the database.

The only qualm I would have is the cost/time required to generate such a system.
    Personally, i think this just places to much faith in the intentions of government. What happens if an unscrupulous lot get to power? WOuld you trust them with such a skeleton key?

The main problem is the structure of government in the uk...we have no codified constitution and with the large majorities which are common these days in the commons the government has become almost presidential...which without any constitutional constraints is pretty dangerous

although tbh...i'd never support it anyway. i'm a classical liberal (not one of the bs modern ''liberals'' :rolleyes: who have made an absolute mockery of the term) so i think government needs to be a lot smaller than it currently is. but, even if you do support the dna databse, i don't see how you can not be worried about it without the existence of a codified constitution....the human rights act doesnt count btw cos the government just ignores it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAPAdawg)
    Personally, i think this just places to much faith in the intentions of government. What happens if an unscrupulous lot get to power? WOuld you trust them with such a skeleton key?
    We already have one of them, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if an unscrupulous lot get to power? WOuld you trust them with such a skeleton key?
    Paint a picture for me, what horrors will this unlock? Will they produce a clone of me, brainwash me and then replace me with the clone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentNutter)
    We already have one of them, thanks.
    exactly my point, and given the infinity that is the future who knows what else. it only takes one dictator to come along and the database will be a useful tool for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Paint a picture for me, what horrors will this unlock? Will they produce a clone of me, brainwash me and then replace me with the clone?
    my point is you don't know. remember, the future is vast and history tells you how remarkably common the elctorate find themselves living under a dictatorship. the dna databse ios just one example of the kind of surveillence state which would be just one more barrier in the way of deposing such a person

i'm sure if you told people that 6 million jews would be killed by an elected politician prior to the last century you'd have been laughed at....remarkable things can happen when power gets into the wrong hands...which is why the state needs to be as small as it can possibly be. that'd a classical liberal view and not an unreasonable one i dont think

ReputationRep:
    my point is you don't know. remember, the future is vast and history tells you how remarkably common the elctorate find themselves living under a dictatorship. the dna databse ios just one example of the kind of surveillence state which would be just one more barrier in the way of deposing such a person

i'm sure if you told people that 6 million jews would be killed by an elected politician prior to the last century you'd have been laughed at....remarkable things can happen when power gets into the wrong hands...which is why the state needs to be as small as it can possibly be. that'd a classical liberal view and not an unreasonable one i dont think
    The future is vast, my life isn't. But anyway, you basically can't think of anything bad that could happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    The future is vast, my life isn't. But anyway, you basically can't think of anything bad that could happen.
    you gave some examples yourself. it is a skeleton key in a court of law....the idea of any single entity, government or n ot, having total control over it should terrify any normal person. framing people who disagree with the govt, using it to stitch up the opposition or just your everyday citizen......all these things are basically just modern/futuristic forms of the way that dictators have and still do operate. just look at hitler, mussloinim or saddam. british people are too complacent about their govt imo. govt should be kept small anyway, but that's just my opinion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.