Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My torso is made of marshmallow watch

ReputationRep:
    I started running about 6 weeks ago and go 4ish times a week, and I can feel it making a difference to my arms and legs, but I don't feel as if it's doing anything for my stomach or back.
    If I'm only working out my arms and legs, will I lose fat in those areas but stay flabby in the middle? Or, (assuming I burn more calories than I consume) will I lose flab in all areas but be weak and untoned in the areas I didn't work out?
    If don't want to end up with toned arms and legs and a flabby weak torso, should I be doing other exercises to hit my middle?

ReputationRep:
    The title is very misleading, I'm disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen angel9)
    The title is very misleading, I'm disappointed.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise keeping away from the camp fire.

ReputationRep:
    Om nom nom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    I started running about 6 weeks ago and go 4ish times a week, and I can feel it making a difference to my arms and legs, but I don't feel as if it's doing anything for my stomach or back.
    If I'm only working out my arms and legs, will I lose fat in those areas but stay flabby in the middle? Or, (assuming I burn more calories than I consume) will I lose flab in all areas but be weak and untoned in the areas I didn't work out?
    If don't want to end up with toned arms and legs and a flabby weak torso, should I be doing other exercises to hit my middle?
    Huh.

How are you jogging? In what way?

You should have a steady pace that's easy on the legs which can be kept to for around 30 minutes... it's a cardiovascular workout you're looking for of course, and this is what jogging is. Make sure not to sprint.

I advise you to swim. :yes: It's works the whole body and is arguably the best way to tone your muscles.

ReputationRep:
    You can't tone marshmallow; its marshmallow!

Geesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Vicky~)
    Huh.

How are you jogging? In what way?

You should have a steady pace that's easy on the legs which can be kept to for around 30 minutes... it's a cardiovascular workout you're looking for of course, and this is what jogging is. Make sure not to sprint.

I advise you to swim. :yes: It's works the whole body and is arguably the best way to tone your muscles.
    I generally jog at a steady pace but I occasionaly burst in to a sprint for a bit, is it really bad to sprint? But what about HIIT?

I would like to swim but unfortunately I can't, because I can't swim :o:

ReputationRep:
    Where are your weights? you'll lose fat... but whats to say losin that fats gunna show of any muscle if your not weight training. If you just want a basic 'toned' shape then weights are an easy thing to do.

From the sounds of it you want a six pack i would recommend reading this

http://www.lonkilgore.com/usawrdc/Ab..._Intensity.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Put yourself between two graham crackers and a piece of chocolate and call yourself a smore?

But facetiousness aside, you're on the right track doing predominantly cardio work, but if running isn't seeming to tone your stomach or back quite as well, I suggest you look into some alternate forms of cardio- such as taking a step or yoga class. Step classes are brilliant for all over cardio but targets places like your abs, and a yoga class will help core strength and general tone - other than that, keep doing what you're doing :yep: It may just take longer to work everywhere

ReputationRep:
    mmmmm marshmellow

ReputationRep:
    I generally jog at a steady pace but I occasionaly burst in to a sprint for a bit, is it really bad to sprint? But what about HIIT?

I would like to swim but unfortunately I can't, because I can't swim :o:
    I don't bother with HIIT. I like to jog at a steady pace all throughout. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the advice you were given about not sprinting, what you are doing is better, since it appears to be a less strict version of HIIT. HIIT is your best choice for running something like 45 seconds jogging, 15 seconds all-out sprinting, repeat for 10 minutes, and build it up to about 15 minutes and/or increase ratio of sprinting to jogging, it doesn't take as much time as 30 minutes of steadying jogging but you'll be pushing your body far harder so will be burning more calories over a 24hr timeframe.

ReputationRep:
    You should have a steady pace that's easy on the legs which can be kept to for around 30 minutes...
    ...if you want to do the least effective work out possible. :rolleyes:

You are not noticing any positive changes in your torso mostly because your body composition is such that you don't lose weight in these areas. There isn't anything you can do to affect where you lose fat, but getting a good weight routine will really (really) help to improve your overall body shape and give you a toned look everywhere.

The greatest thing about using weights is that things like rows and compound exercises like squats and deadlifts will really help to strengthen your core muscles (i.e. your stomach and back), which can even make a huge difference to your running, posture and athleticism.

ReputationRep:
    To further support the above post.

READ

ReputationRep:
    First of all, damn you!! I know want some marshmallow :'(

Secondly, what was I gonna say.....

Oh ye, by doing cardio - even though you'll feel like your working out your legs, your not. In answer to your question, yes all the fat will be used up eventually but as others have suggested, you may want to do some simple resistance training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    ...if you want to do the least effective work out possible. :rolleyes:
    Of course you have to push yourself while jogging. I meant not pushing yourself to your limit and only being able to jog for 10 minutes max. :rolleyes:

I always jog at a steady pace that's easy on my legs. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Of course you have to push yourself while jogging. I meant not pushing yourself to your limit and only being able to jog for 10 minutes max. :rolleyes:

I always jog at a steady pace that's easy on my legs. :yes:
    Good for you. I will bet a million that your body is in no way as good as mine. And that you have no idea what you're talking about. 10 minutes of HIIT is so much more effective than your 'jogging'.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you. I will bet a million that your body is in no way as good as mine. And that you have no idea what you're talking about. 10 minutes of HIIT is so much more effective than your 'jogging'.
    Pics would proove this discussion :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to be a ***** like you and start comparing bodies, but mine is pretty good at the moment which is thanks to my exercise routines. :rolleyes:

:giggle: If you can keep up at my jogging pace in my usual 1 hour jog then you're quite amazing. :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.