This discussion is closed.
Brian Sloan
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi everyone

I'm intending to apply for an MEng course in Computer Science at Queen's University. I then hope to
do a DPhil at Oxford or a PhD at Cambridge.

The course itself lasts four years, but contains an option of a year's placement between the third
and fourth year. The DPhil or PhD will take at least three years. Therefore, if I opt for the year's
placement, I'll have spent a total of eight years at university (I know that I'll technically be
employed for one of those, but I won't really have left).

I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off not opting for placement, since it will add a year to
the time until I can realistically expect to find a house etc. I'm not entirely convinced that I
will be able to find placement that is relevant to the more scientific aspects of Computer Science
that I'll be wanting to work in after I (hopefully!) finish my DPhil.

What do others think?

Thanks in advance

--
Brian Sloan [email protected] http://www.sloan29.freeserve.co.uk - Free downloadable
JavaScripts

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.372 / Virus Database: 207 - Release Date: 20/06/02
Pete Bartlett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Brian Sloan" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Hi everyone[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm intending to apply for an MEng course in Computer Science at Queen's University. I then hope[/q1]
[q1]> to do a DPhil at Oxford or a PhD at Cambridge.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The course itself lasts four years, but contains an option of a year's placement between the third[/q1]
[q1]> and fourth year. The DPhil or PhD will take[/q1]
at
[q1]> least three years. Therefore, if I opt for the year's placement, I'll[/q1]
have
[q1]> spent a total of eight years at university (I know that I'll technically[/q1]
be
[q1]> employed for one of those, but I won't really have left).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off not opting for placement, since it will add a year[/q1]
[q1]> to the time until I can realistically expect to find a house etc. I'm not entirely convinced that[/q1]
[q1]> I will be able to find placement that is relevant to the more scientific aspects of Computer[/q1]
[q1]> Science that I'll be wanting to work in after I (hopefully!) finish my DPhil.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What do others think?[/q1]

FWIW, I would recommend delaying the decision until you are actually at Uni if you can (check with
the Uni, UCAS codes may imply that you have to decide now, but that may well not be true) Then you'd
be much better placed to judge the benefits or otherwise of the Year in Industry. Ditto for saying I
want to do a PhD.... by the time you reach 3rd year Uni you may have completely changed your
mind.... particularly about selecting a particular institution. I am sure you can't know what you
want to specialize in yet... thus you don't wear the good potential supervisors are... thus you
don't know where to do your PhD yet.

Hth

Pete
Jason Brown
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> I'm intending to apply for an MEng course in Computer Science at Queen's University. I then hope[/q1]
[q1]> to do a DPhil at Oxford or a PhD at Cambridge.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Have you ever thought of doing your studies in North America... especially for Computer Science -
North America is better.

I got an Imperial College degree and am a security guard in Toronto...

I feel that UK courses are bit lagging!

my 2c

best of luck..
Matthew Huntbac
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Jason Brown ([email protected]) wrote:
[q2]> > I'm intending to apply for an MEng course in Computer Science at Queen's University. I then hope[/q2]
[q2]> > to do a DPhil at Oxford or a PhD at Cambridge.[/q2]

[q1]> Have you ever thought of doing your studies in North America... especially for Computer Science -[/q1]
[q1]> North America is better.[/q1]

[q1]> I got an Imperial College degree and am a security guard in Toronto...[/q1]

[q1]> I feel that UK courses are bit lagging![/q1]

In what way? I keep a page of links to progamming courses:

http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~mmh/jlinks.html

and I don't notice the courses in UK universities there being radically different from the courses
in the North American universities there.

I don't notice the students on the degree programme I teach on (Computer Science at Queen Mary,
University of London) having any difficulty finding jobs.

I am sure there are pleny of factors you haven't mentioned that account for your situation.

Matthew Huntbach
Matt Johnson
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In message <[email protected]> , Matthew Huntbach <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>I don't notice the courses in UK universities there being radically different from the courses in[/q1]
[q1]>the North American universities there.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I don't notice the students on the degree programme I teach on (Computer Science at Queen Mary,[/q1]
[q1]>University of London) having any difficulty finding jobs.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I am sure there are pleny of factors you haven't mentioned that account for your situation.[/q1]

Almost guaranteed.

The fact that there are quite a fair few lecturers and professors who often seek posts on the
other side of the Atlantic surely debunks the "theory" that the teaching is worse on one side than
the other.
--
Matt Johnson <mailto:[email protected]
Jhp
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
It's far, far too early to be thinking about PhDs. You may not even do well enough to go on and if
you do you may not want to. If you're doing engineering, imho you'd be a fool not to do a placement
year because it gives you valuable practical experience. Don't rush your fences. John
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (292)
34.19%
No (562)
65.81%

Watched Threads