Turn on thread page Beta

friend neglecting guinea pigs watch

ReputationRep:
    my friend has four small guinea pigs and i really don't think he's looking after them properly.

when i last looked in the hutch their food bowl just had mouldy bread and empty pea pods in there. he rarely cleans it either because he's just lazy.

he also leaves them out in his garden at night but there's a cat next door that frequently comes into his garden and looks like it wants to get the guineas! he says the guinea pigs would "gang up on" the cat or he would hear them squeaking and rescue them, he's mad.

we've tried telling him to clean it and stuff but he just says "i'll do it later".

what should i do? i feel like calling the rspca.

ReputationRep:
    call the rspca

ReputationRep:
    yes, either go round and do it yourself (feed/look after the guinea pigs) or anonymously call the rspca (so that your friend won't know it's you)

ReputationRep:
    I would call the RSPCA, that sounds serious and it really does sound like he's neglecting them because he just can't be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aathron)
    my friend has four small guinea pigs and i really don't think he's looking after them properly.

when i last looked in the hutch their food bowl just had mouldy bread and empty pea pods in there. he rarely cleans it either because he's just lazy.

he also leaves them out in his garden at night but there's a cat next door that frequently comes into his garden and looks like it wants to get the guineas! he says the guinea pigs would "gang up on" the cat or he would hear them squeaking and rescue them, he's mad.

we've tried telling him to clean it and stuff but he just says "i'll do it later".

what should i do? i feel like calling the rspca.
    The guinea pigs must be suffering at the moment and could end up dying if they are not cared for properly. I would try and have another talk with him. If he still does not listen they I would go ahead and call the RSPCA. You could suggest selling or to give away the guinea pigs to someone who actually has the time to care for them properly.
    Hope you sort it out and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    If he's not providing adequate housing i.e. not cleaning them out, and not providing them with enough fresh food go ahead and call up the RSPCA. Alternatively there may be an independent rescue shelter near you (google for one) who may be able to advise you further on what to do, they might even be willing to phone your friend and discuss the matter with them directly which might give them a kick up the arse.

Personally i'd be more direct with them and tell them that cleaning them out later isn't good enough, get your act together or i'll make phone calls/take them myself. Worrying about straining a friendship would be lower on my list of priorities if said friend was neglecting their animals, as no doubt your other friends would see your point and back you up.

ReputationRep:
    well us and his dad have told him to do it and we've given him plenty of chances now. i asked him today if he had cleaned it out and he said "weuhhhlll..sort of..." so i'm guessing that means no. we told him again he has to take out all the old stuff and replace it with new. he said he didn't have the right tools for the job or something(!) so we explained how to do it.
    i don't even know why he wants the guinea pigs, he hasn't named them or anything.
    okay, gonna go round and check how they are and if it's still bad then we'll call the rscpa.
    thanks guys, good to know i'm not overreacting

ReputationRep:
    if they're really in that bad of a state I say call the RSPCA.
    and personally i'd warn the guy, say to him he either starts looking after them, finds a new home or you'll be phoning the rspca which may lead to a ban on him keeping pets for a while. partly because it would save the rspca's time and money and partly because I'd want him to know that it was me. none of this anonymous crap.

edit: oooh this was 5 days ago :p:
    what happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aathron)
    well us and his dad have told him to do it and we've given him plenty of chances now. i asked him today if he had cleaned it out and he said "weuhhhlll..sort of..." so i'm guessing that means no. we told him again he has to take out all the old stuff and replace it with new. he said he didn't have the right tools for the job or something(!) so we explained how to do it.
    i don't even know why he wants the guinea pigs, he hasn't named them or anything.
    okay, gonna go round and check how they are and if it's still bad then we'll call the rscpa.
    thanks guys, good to know i'm not overreacting
    whats happened about the guinea pigs??

and why can't his dad just take them from him?

ReputationRep:
    RSPCA defo

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.