Turn on thread page Beta

the toughest oxbridge subjects to get into watch

ReputationRep:
    i am only 16 and have only just done my gcses feel free to criticise my opinions
    Medicine- this is a really hard subject to get into you have to be exceptionally clever in my opinion, you cant just be a science nerd you alsoe need to have social skills i would you need 9-10 a*s at gcse and 4 a's at a level

Law- the most popular degree in the country so it is going to be highly competitive same conditions again 9 - 10 a*'s at gcse and four a's at a level

PPE- oxfords most popular degree so highly competitive against very clever people same results as the other two

Economics (e and m)- you should probably do further maths to stand out as oxford only have a 10% success rate

Mathematics- i think you would need excellent problem solving skills and to be highly numerate make sure you do further maths

Physics- having looked at the oxford test for this you need to be really good at maths to do well so do further maths

History at oxford- maybe it is just my age but the hat test looks bloody hard

as i said earlier give me your views

ReputationRep:
    EDIT- i meant to say i guess you would need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willh97)
    i am only 16 and have only just done my gcses feel free to criticise my opinions
    Medicine- this is a really hard subject to get into you have to be exceptionally clever in my opinion, you cant just be a science nerd you alsoe need to have social skills i would you need 9-10 a*s at gcse and 4 a's at a level

Law- the most popular degree in the country so it is going to be highly competitive same conditions again 9 - 10 a*'s at gcse and four a's at a level

PPE- oxfords most popular degree so highly competitive against very clever people same results as the other two

Economics (e and m)- you should probably do further maths to stand out as oxford only have a 10% success rate

Mathematics- i think you would need excellent problem solving skills and to be highly numerate make sure you do further maths

Physics- having looked at the oxford test for this you need to be really good at maths to do well so do further maths

Why not look at the application stats?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care?

ReputationRep:
    ... Physics- having looked at the oxford test for this you need to be really good at maths to do well so do further maths ...
    It's not that hard. I could answer 80% before I'd even finished my GCSEs, you just need to have some talent. :p: The hard part is perhaps more the interview from what I've read.

ReputationRep:
    Original opinions right here.

ReputationRep:
    For law especially, you don't need amazing gcse's (i.e. cambridge said my gcse's were fine as long as i was predicted 3 A's - A*AAABBBBBC) but most of the time you do need great a-levels - AAA+

ReputationRep:
    You need to fixate less on gcse's, there isn't any set number of grades that you require for any course (though obviously doing well wont do you any harm).

PPE? really? They let anyone in. Jack of all trades, master of absolutely sod all.

Also, the PAT for physics isn't really that hard (or at least it shouldn't be if you deserve a place!) and all you need on it is about 40% to get an interview, so with the multiple choice bit at the start a chimp could pass it.

Also, it's a lot easier to get into one university over the other for certain subjects - like the natural sciences course at Cambridge is much harder to get into than any of the single sciences at Oxford (this is purely my opinion though). Also, Cambridge has the STEP exam for maths, making it an absolute biatch to get into, whereas Oxford's admissions test for maths is comparatively ridiculously easy and theoretically possible to pass even at gcse level (granted by a very bright student).

Also, why do you care? I don't see the relevance of this unless you are one of those people with that abhorrent attitude of: 'I want to go to oxbridge above all else, and I don't care which one I go to or which subject I study so long as I get to go there, so I'll just go with the easiest one to get into.'

ReputationRep:
    Can you get into Oxford without knowing something as basic as using proper punctuation?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, History is the easiest subject to go for if you want to get in to Oxbridge...
    That's according to my English teacher, anyway.

As said above, it isn't a great idea to just fixate on wanting to go to Oxbridge. Some people would take any course, just to get in, I don't 'get' it :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    why, english of course! I like to think that english is the hardest thing to get in for everywhere.

my friend who does chemistry told me chemistry is the easiest course to get on :mmm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Oh, come on, surely you can narrow down your shortlist of potential subjects a bit more than that? I'm finding it hard to believe that someone could be considering eight subjects which differ so much from each other equally seriously... As it is, compiling a list like that is just a waste of time. Please do yourself a favour by picking one or two subjects you're actually interested in and then worrying about competitiveness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itszednotzee)
    For law especially, you don't need amazing gcse's (i.e. cambridge said my gcse's were fine as long as i was predicted 3 A's - A*AAABBBBBC) but most of the time you do need great a-levels - AAA+
    Which college was that? Trinity told me that the main reason I didn't get an offer was my GCSEs (which were similar to yours).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunty91)
    Which college was that? Trinity told me that the main reason I didn't get an offer was my GCSEs (which were similar to yours).
    I'm not sure (I thought it was a general Cambridge admissions e-mail, not a college-specific one though hmmm...).
    The e-mail account I used to e-mail them is inactive now (as it was for my old school) so I can't check - sorry!

ReputationRep:
    sorry for offtopic but i thought English Literature was the most popular degree?

ReputationRep:
    I hope you don't need 10 A*s I think I'll only have 8 (possibly 9) GCSEs in total.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think it is by numbers because maths isnt the most popular of subjects.

But a standard offer of AAA,1,1 - thats just solid. Anybody who should be able to get to cambridge should find the 3 As no problem. But 1,1 in STEP II/III is a big ask. Can you imagine any of subjects having step (i know there used to be why did they stop? ) or more difficult AEAs?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is E&M at Oxford, well, in terms of percentage success rate

ReputationRep:
    Well Mr OP I don't see why you would want to post this thread. You've written a load of trite little things about a strangely wide range of Oxford subjects. The thing is it doesn't make you look at all clever because it's instantly clear from it that you don't have a clue what you're talking about, despite all the information being very widely available. Did you want to be patted on the back for your cleverness in 'figuring out' Oxford admissions?

(Original post by audrey hepburn)
    PPE? really? They let anyone in. Jack of all trades, master of absolutely sod all.
    Jack of all trades, master of your mum (possibly your dad too).

On that note, I haven't seen you post on here for a long time. How was your first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunty91)
    Definately wasn't Churchill, I went on their site a few weeks back, they came across almost rude, basically saying don't bother applying if you don't have 9A*'s, in certain cases, 7A*'s will be considered.

I was under the impression A*'s didn't make that much difference up untill year 11, so I had already taken 9 Gcse's :mad:

At OP: You really don't need that many A*'s, I think plenty of people struggle when it comes to interview technique, and how they come across generally, and it is Oxbridge, it will generally be harder to get into... but Medicine wise it should be on par with all other Med Schools, so who's to say Oxbridge is better?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.