Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

the toughest oxbridge subjects to get into Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hairdressing

ReputationRep:
    i only posted this thread just to see what people thought, and so that they could give their own experiences of admissions into these subjects.
    Law is the most popular subject english is about 4th or 5th.
    The physics multiple choice questions are fairly easy, and you could probably do quite well from just doing gcse level, but the maths is pretty difficult imo.
    If you want me to narrow it down to the top three i would say economics, medicine, maths
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by willh97)
    i only posted this thread just to see what people thought, and so that they could give their own experiences of admissions into these subjects.
    Law is the most popular subject english is about 4th or 5th.
    The physics multiple choice questions are fairly easy, and you could probably do quite well from just doing gcse level, but the maths is pretty difficult imo.
    If you want me to narrow it down to the top three i would say economics, medicine, maths
    Why do you care?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    You realise nobody gives a toss about your opinion? (especially if 97 is the year of your birth)

ReputationRep:
    Come to the conclusion that OP is looking for the easiest way into oxbridge by comparing competition in subject admissions. Have Fun.

ReputationRep:
    Economics has one of the lowest admissions % and applicants have very high academic credentials.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine, Economics, Law, Maths (at Cambridge) in no particular order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Why do you care?
    +1

OP, wait till ur balls drop before having a look at the entrance tests and worrying about oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    +1

OP, wait till ur balls drop before having a look at the entrance tests and worrying about oxbridge.
    If you don't care, why are you posting here?

No one forced you to look at this thread, it's not hurting you, so go celebrate the fact you have finished puberty elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoo...8/09/post.html for the official stats.

ReputationRep:
    The maths percentages for admissions aren't too bad, around 25% (23% IIRC). However I'm still going to cross my fingers and pray to multiple gods.

ReputationRep:
    The HAT looks quite straight forward tbh.

ReputationRep:
    i am only 16 and have only just done my gcses feel free to criticise my opinions
    Medicine- this is a really hard subject to get into you have to be exceptionally clever in my opinion, you cant just be a science nerd you alsoe need to have social skills i would you need 9-10 a*s at gcse and 4 a's at a level

Law- the most popular degree in the country so it is going to be highly competitive same conditions again 9 - 10 a*'s at gcse and four a's at a level

PPE- oxfords most popular degree so highly competitive against very clever people same results as the other two

Economics (e and m)- you should probably do further maths to stand out as oxford only have a 10% success rate

Mathematics- i think you would need excellent problem solving skills and to be highly numerate make sure you do further maths

Physics- having looked at the oxford test for this you need to be really good at maths to do well so do further maths

History at oxford- maybe it is just my age but the hat test looks bloody hard

as i said earlier give me your views
    You don't "need" 10A*s and 4As at all, sure they will help but your results can be significantly worse than this and you might still get in if you do well in the other aspects of the application. The only academic results I would say you almost certainly "need" would be the three As at A level which the vast majority of people are offered, especially in Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    chemistry, geography applicant and a female engineering applicant. oxbridge will almost beg you to come!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Jack of all trades, master of your mum (possibly your dad too).

On that note, I haven't seen you post on here for a long time. How was your first year?
    Oh you PPEists, your joking is a symbol of the fact that you're doing a joke degree :ahee:

First year was great thanks! (apart from the work and shizz... but hey, who goes to Oxford to work? - no one!)

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and Biology are probably the easiest courses to get into at oxford. Both courses have about a 40% success rate :woo: , which is much higher than some other top universities, such as UCL or imperial, which offer Chemistry.

Also, there's no additional admissions test. Just the UCAS applications and the interview of course.

But, I wouldn't let admission statistics influence your decision of courses too much.

ReputationRep:

Law- the most popular degree in the country so it is going to be highly competitive same conditions again 9 - 10 a*'s at gcse and four a's at a level
    I got interviewed with 3 A*'s ¬_¬ only reason I didn't get in was because of a car crash interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
    Oh you PPEists, your joking is a symbol of the fact that you're doing a joke degree :ahee:

First year was great thanks! (apart from the work and shizz... but hey, who goes to Oxford to work? - no one!)
    Oh you Physics and philosophy students your erm... smelling of poo is a symbol of... erm general crapness I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    +1

very mature
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    applying for a subject you know nothing about will make it the hardest course to get into in oxbridge (unless you are Derren Brown).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.