Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right so I am going back to college in September at the age of 20, my best mate is going to be with me on the course so that's good as I won't feel like the only 'older' person there.

I don't know why but I feel a tad uncomfortable that I will be with a lot of people 16 years old and be seen as that 'older' guy maybe? Am I just being incredibly dumb by thinking this?

Also when it comes to girls a lot will be 16-17 so I am worried if something develops with one would that be odd if there was an age gap of that size?

Reason I'm back at college now is that I had acne the last few years (which has finally gone) and that alone killed my social life which I am trying to rebuild, it was also the reason I took so much time off/quit courses since I couldn't handle being around so many people at college.

I am probably being retarded, 20 is nothing I suppose. Especially as I don't look it at all, many are shocked when I reveal my age. ;\

ReputationRep:
    there'll also be some 18 yo's too.
    i doubt thats a really big age gap tbh as long as she's mature:rolleyes:
    Plus you have your mate so as you said thats good and you two can do your own things at times which will be good to get away and be round people your own age now and then.
    honestly though as you said 20 is nothing-some 20 yo's dont even look 20 !
    i doubt anyone would treat you differently and it's a college not a sixth form so surely youre likely to be around more people of differing ages?

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha I should have mentioned I don't intend on chasing younger girls, but you never know who you will get along with.

Yeah I don't look it, but people will find out when the class start adding people on Facebook which tends to happen, I just don't like the idea of there being any odd stigma to being slightly older. I sound dumb.

(Original post by Malsy)
    there'll also be some 18 yo's too.
    i doubt thats a really big age gap tbh as long as she's mature:rolleyes:
    Plus you have your mate so as you said thats good and you two can do your own things at times which will be good to get away and be round people your own age now and then.
    honestly though as you said 20 is nothing-some 20 yo's dont even look 20 !
    i doubt anyone would treat you differently and it's a college not a sixth form so surely youre likely to be around more people of differing ages?
    Yeah that is true, kinda forgot about sixth forms being the ones with younger students in general.
    Glad I have my mate though known him for ages and get on like a house on fire, really hate getting lumbered into a new class on my own but trying to get back into the social swing so have to put more effort in this year.

Should be good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it'll be a big problem.

I was the opposite to you, I was 18 when I started my college course and was the youngest there; the majority were mid 20s. Apart from a few blank looks from me when they mentioned TV shows which were before my time and the tutor insisting on calling me 'the baby' sometimes it was fine.

ReputationRep:
    lol! Well age gap is definitely smaller in this situation then. :P

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean sixth form college. Well, most foreign students (me being an exception) are usually two or three years older. I had a couple of 20 year olds in U6th... Don't worry, the 16/17 year olds will try to avoid a relationship with a 20 year old.

ReputationRep:
    if you're a twenty year old starting your first year in uni, then most of your peers will be 18 or 19. So that wont be too much of a diff.

ReputationRep:
    I would doubt that, I knew quite a few girls dating people a few years older than them. I was only worried about any bad stigma but after reading what I wrote I found I was being pretty dumb by even thinking that.

It's just standard college by the way

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.