Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are some entertaining things to do in London that are free or cheap? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm now going there next week with a friend but minus food and travel expenses I'll only have about £20 to my name.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Museums? What are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Visit the parks?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm interested in most things. Specifically history, science, the theatre, tourist attractions...

ReputationRep:
    Trolling?

ReputationRep:
    The British Museum and/or Natural History Museum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    I'm now going there next week with a friend but minus food and travel expenses I'll only have about £20 to my name.
    Try Tate gallery, take a stroll through Hyde park, check out Covent Garden and you can also go window shopping all the time

ReputationRep:
    Check out: http://www.timeout.com/london/
    There's usually plenty of interesting and/or free things things listed there.

ReputationRep:
    natural history, science, v&a, british museums
    Standing ticket at the globe is only £5
    have a stroll around/picnic in the parks
    Walk around central london on one of the walk guide things you get from the internet
    Go to see the street artists in covent garden
    go to camden and stare at the freaks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you all!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sorry to intrude on your thread, but I'm planning on going to London ina couple of weeks and have found the national rail website very confusing, so my question is how did you find the best deal (assuming you are going by train)? Are you getting an Oyster card?

Also, if you go to the box office at 10 am you may be able to get cheap tickets for the theatre, as most keep around 30 tickets spare on the day.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by harriepoppy)
    Sorry to intrude on your thread, but I'm planning on going to London ina couple of weeks and have found the national rail website very confusing, so my question is how did you find the best deal (assuming you are going by train)? Are you getting an Oyster card?

Also, if you go to the box office at 10 am you may be able to get cheap tickets for the theatre, as most keep around 30 tickets spare on the day.
    Well, I'm only going from Reading to London, which is a £15 single. I'm not using an Oyster Card nor do I have a 16-24 Railcard.

Try the bus, it'll take quite a bit longer but will be much cheaper

ReputationRep:
    National Photographer's/Portrait Gallery
    Sit in Leicester Square during the day, Trafalgar Square at night. You can sneak into Kensington Gardens (next to Hyde Park) at night by using the gate at Lancaster Gate. It opens, despite being 'locked'.
    Kensington Gardens is nice during the day, and has loads of squirrels which come right up to you if you offer a little bit of food.
    Walk around Portobello and Notting Hill.
    Start at the London Eye and walk along the Thames (South Bank, preferably) to the Tate Modern.
    Here's a list of free museums: http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/free-london-museums.aspx
    You can go to St Paul's, Westminster Abbey and visit Buckingham Palace (but not go in).

I think what's best is to get a travelcard and take some buses around London. You can see all the sights of London.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So much rep deserves to be given out in this thread! I wish I could give it out more frequently.

ReputationRep:
    Go for a walk! Walking is the best thing you can do in London. Whether that be just strolling through the centre, through one of the amazing parks on a nice day olr maybe a romantic walk along the embankment.. yeh go walking!

Other than that...museums etc. are free.

ReputationRep:
    Watch people jump of bridges.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    Well, I'm only going from Reading to London, which is a £15 single. I'm not using an Oyster Card nor do I have a 16-24 Railcard.

Try the bus, it'll take quite a bit longer but will be much cheaper
    Thanks, bus it is :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Covent Garden market.

ReputationRep:
    The Proms only costs 5 quid for a stalls or gallery ticket, and it makes you feel terribly cultured when you go!

www.bbc.co.uk/proms

ReputationRep:
    london's a dump. you'll probably get stabbed by a gang of black yooooofffs before you manage to have any fun

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.