Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just noticed that a vast amaount of the BBC's TV presenters are Durham graduates:

Jeremy Vine

Rachel Schofield

Gabby Logan

Geogre Alagiah

Chris Hollins

Matthew Amroliwala

Tim Wilcox

Kate Silverton

Why so many from Durham Uni????? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Where else would they get so many smarmy slime-balls? :ninja:

Anyway, I looked at Chris Hollins on Wikipedia, to try and see who he is, and it says that he went to Oxford...

(Original post by Fungrus)
    If you don't believe me just check how many of China's national news program are Durham graduates.
    My point confirmed. Who'd have enough slime to want to pour propaganda into the ears of the Chinese?

ReputationRep:
    Because at matriculation they reveal to you that Durham is the headquarters of a secret illuminati that controls the world through the media, and that we as new members must be willing to do our bit in the noble pursuit of controlling the world.

If you don't believe me just check how many of China's national news program are Durham graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)

Anyway, I looked at Chris Hollins on Wikipedia, to try and see who he is, and it says that he went to Oxford...

He's the sports presenter on BBC Breakfast. He attended BOTH Durham AND Oxford. Wow, he's a clever guy!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie K)
    I've just noticed that a vast amaount of the BBC's TV presenters are Durham graduates:

Jeremy Vine

Rachel Schofield

Gabby Logan

Geogre Alagiah

Chris Hollins

Matthew Amroliwala

Tim Wilcox

Kate Silverton

Why so many from Durham Uni????? :confused:
    Gabby Logan's still ITV isn't she?

I think the media, alongside the military, legal and civil service has always been a traditional area of Durham's. Basically, "in favour with the establishment".

Exactly why? Because it's a strong university so is always going to produce graduates who reach the top of their profession. But I don't think it's more represented than Oxbridge or universities of a similar standard to Durham like London and the Scottish Ancients.

ReputationRep:
    He's the sports presenter on BBC Breakfast. He attended BOTH Durham AND Oxford. Wow, he's a clever guy!!!
    And now he's reading out the football results. His parents must be proud. :ninja:

Ah, ignore me: I'm a cynic. :banana:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Where else would they get so many smarmy slime-balls? :ninja:
    :nope:

Can we keep things sensible? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Gabby Logan's still ITV isn't she?

Where have you been? :confused: Gabby Logan left ITV YEARS AGO!!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...20/logan.shtml

She's been presenting on the BBC for a while now!!

ReputationRep:
    Where have you been? :confused:
    Obviously not here.

I wasn't sure, maybe heard something about it, don't really care to be honest. Not worth getting so angry about.

I also forgot sports stars and athletes because of their strength in sport, which is where Gabby Logan comes in. I swear 80% of Durham graduates are senior officers in the armed forces (Generals and Vice-Admirals), senior journalists, lawyers, athletes and civil servants/diplomats.

Oh, and teachers.

Anyway, why are you so interested, do you want to work as a journalist once you've graduated from Durham? Think it'll give you a helping hand? It won't.

ReputationRep:
    The Head of the army and the England cricket captain are Durham alumni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roubiliac)
    The Head of the army and the England cricket captain are Durham alumni.
    Yes although he's actually retiring now and two Vice Admirals and one Rear Admiral I may be wrong there (but it does include the Queen's son in low and highest ranking ethnic minority officer).

Durham grads did their bit for the empire and old blighty's glory at the height of colonialism in both the military and civil service. But it means sod all. There may be a high number of grads who still go into these areas and it is quite a popular destination, they are very middle class and traditional roles (and Durham's a middle class university) but it means sod all really. I'm sure these people made it on merit and not university name.

ReputationRep:
    In the current climate I'd rather have a degree from Durham than one of those universities that 'used to be a swimming baths' as Frankie Boyle puts it.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC just makes clones of one another. Kate Silverton = that Kaplinsky bloke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roubiliac)
    In the current climate I'd rather have a degree from Durham than one of those universities that 'used to be a swimming baths' as Frankie Boyle puts it.
    I'd rather have a degree in town planning from Brookes than a degree in Sociology or even economics from Durham. Or a host of degrees that the post-1992s offer. Town planning is an ageing profession, with many professionals due to retire or change careers/emigrate in the coming years (and the current economics climate will add to this problem). There's a great shortage of planners and other professionals now, it'll be even worse in a few years time. Where will an economics degree get me, IB?

But hey ho. People can be ignorant and close minded if they want but the prospects that many degrees have, whether from pre or post 92 unis, can't be denied.

You do realise it's a joke and he isn't really making a comment about their academic standards or value? They never were swimming baths/crap. They were recognised institutes of education, with often excellent standards and where students studied for degrees. Many of them with a greater history than Durham or any of our non-ancient universities.

ReputationRep:
    I think Durham might be good for a person's accent, too. As there's less locals than southerners, you're not around a certain accent, so you won't get a really southern accent that sounds posh "up north", and you might lose some of your southern accent if you're from there originally. You don't find many presenters with a really strong accent (and you're not going to get into national news if your voice makes you sound like a toff or a Geordie).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsDave)
    I think Durham might be good for a person's accent, too. As there's less locals than southerners, you're not around a certain accent, so you won't get a really southern accent that sounds posh "up north", and you might lose some of your southern accent if you're from there originally. You don't find many presenters with a really strong accent (and you're not going to get into national news if your voice makes you sound like a toff or a Geordie).

Technically Geordies come from Newcastle not Durham but I get your point. To be a true Geordie one has to have been born within a stone's throw of Scotswood Bridge which crosses the Tyne in Newcastle, but generally speaking it's a Newcastle thing.

ReputationRep:
    You don't find many presenters with a really strong accent (and you're not going to get into national news if your voice makes you sound like a toff or a Geordie).
    as a geordie myself at durham university, i resent this attitude completely!

ReputationRep:
    BBC is sooo corrupt!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Technically Geordies come from Newcastle not Durham but I get your point. To be a true Geordie one has to have been born within a stone's throw of Scotswood Bridge which crosses the Tyne in Newcastle, but generally speaking it's a Newcastle thing.
    (Original post by petiso)
    as a geordie myself at durham university, i resent this attitude completely!
    I'll be a Geordie at Durham University myself pretty soon. :p:

If you look at the presenters on BBC national news, you'll find that they all have somewhat generic accents - You never hear strong local accents. I think that Mike Neville did make it to national news, but his accent was never really strong.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be a Geordie at Durham University myself pretty soon. :p:

If you look at the presenters on BBC national news, you'll find that they all have somewhat generic accents - You never hear strong local accents. I think that Mike Neville did make it to national news, but his accent was never really strong.
    I'm originally from Co. Durham but spent a lot of years growing up in Northumberland, I don't have a regional dialect and neither do most of my family, most of the people i met at uni thought i was from the south and when i told them where i was from they seemed confused that i didn't sound like i was from 'up north'. As if only 'posh' sounding people can only come from the south.

My Grandfather used to teach Mike Neville

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.