Turn on thread page Beta

Would this be considered cheating? watch

I'm in the early stages of what may become a relationship-hanging out, chatting online, etc. We've both admitted we like each other. There hasn't been talk of a long-term thing; we're just seeing how it's going.

Last night I had a one night stand with another guy. Would this be considered cheating, even though I'm not in an 'official' relationship? Please keep anon or delete.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, no. However he might see it totally differently. If he did the same, how would you feel?

True you're not officially in a proper relationship yet but it was sort of headed that way, so I wouldn't imagine he'd be too pleased to hear about your recent ''activities.''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    In my opinion, no. However he might see it totally differently. If he did the same, how would you feel?

True you're not officially in a proper relationship yet but it was sort of headed that way, so I wouldn't imagine he'd be too pleased to hear about your recent ''activities.''
    :ditto:

If I was the guy, I'd question your feelings towards me; and in all likelihood, unless there was really good explanation, I would hold off a relationship - at least for now.

ReputationRep:
    It's not exclusive or anything so technically no, however, if you both have feelings for each other then I think it's pretty harsh.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Last night I had a one night stand with another guy. Would this be considered cheating, even though I'm not in an 'official' relationship?
    Why are you pissing about with semantics? It's not up to us to tell you what this guy should consider cheating, and in the end it's his opinion that counts. In fact, he might not consider it cheating, but might not want to go out with you because of it. Or he might not care.

A pretty fair rule of thumb is: if you don't want it doing to you, don't do it to someone else. But in the end it's his opinion that counts.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to say that people have different levels or degrees of considering what is cheating and what is not! However, I think that the fact you are questioning your night-stand as cheating or not shows that you feel guilty, which means you, yourself unconsciencely believe that it is cheating! Therefore if it is the case ::: so yes!

ReputationRep:
    I all fairness... why did you do it?

If I was really into a guy I couldn't just go out and sleep with someone else.

No it's not cheating because there's not a relationship to be cheated on, that doesn't mean he can't be pissed at you and decice that getting with you is a bad idea.

Stop trying to label the label situation and find out how he feels about it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call it cheating, but I wouldn't do it if I were in the situation as you, and I wouldn't want the other person doing it either.

If you have a connection with someone and you're on the relationship track, why would you go off and have a one night stand?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call it cheating but similarly I wouldn't have a high opinion of you if I were him.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't consider it cheating, but id perhaps not tell him

Thanks for the replies. I feel VERY guilty, especially as I really like this guy, and right now I feel like I can't live with myself over what I did.

I didn't go out intentionally looking for a one night stand. I just got extremely drunk to the point where I didn't know what I was doing. I just don't know if I should say anything or not.

ReputationRep:
    Drunk is never an excuse. Especially to sleep with someone. Tell him. I'd like to think you couldn't live with the guilt if you didn't tell him, but not everyone is that good
    His feelings towards you may change, and you can't help that, but he may appreciate the honesty.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that 'seeing someone' implied some sort of exclusivity. That's how I always saw it, if I was seeing a guy I would hold back, if I kissed someone it would kind of suggest I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with him as I can't stay faithful to him when just seeing him. For me personally, I'd break it off and move on. Maybe you don't like the guy as much as you think you do?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt class this a cheating, but I wouldn't say it's ok either, you obviously feel bad about it otherwise u wudnt ask, i think you feel bad enough and you dont want to risk losing someone you like just from a mistake,

your not a cheat though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wouldn't say you were a cheater but it wasn't very nice what you did. Either admit it or forget about it but it's done now so no point stressing over it.

ReputationRep:
    nah.. thats not cheating, but it wont do you any good in the eyes of the guy who your properly interested in =(

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.