Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    Yeah I do have MSN.
    I wanted to tell my parents about my depression. I told my parents that in the last few weeks I have not been feeling myself and have been more sad than usual however my mum started shouting and called me selfish and said that I was lying and was only saying it for attention. I started to break down in tears and ran upstairs and no one even followed me up to ask how I was feeling. No I realised I am on my own and when I go back to uni Im gonna get loads of sleeping pills and alcohol and attempt to kill myself. Maybe if I do that they would take me more seriously
    Sorry to hear that. I think maybe its your familys way of dealing with it, maybe they are in denial because they feel that they have failed you and are scared for you. Just let them know that you need their support and patience and not to feel like its all your fault because it isn't. I've only really told my mum about it too, she took it better than expected but again she seems to think I'm being selfish ( which I agree with because everything is great in my life right now) and that I will chase all my friends away ( not what I needed to hear but its the truth, it happened to me at college, I felt so isolated and angry). Tried talking to my sister but she said she hates talking about serious stuff and because she is younger I don't think she understands and I don't really talk to my dad about things like emotions.

I'm dreading going back to Uni too just because its so lonely there when I'm in halls in my room. Mum says I should try and talk to my other flat mates more but I just feel like I'm intruding. They are nice people but they are all on the same course and so hang out with each other more and I just don't always feel like I belong there with them. We don't really have much in common and I just feel so boring and insignificant around them...I have this "sorry I exist" attitude. I only ever seem to be fun around them when I'm drunk which is a bit of an insult, one time they saw me at the pub having a good time with my friends and they automatically assumed I was drunk because I was laughing...just because I don't feel comfortable around them it doesn't mean that I act that way all the time. At least I feel better around the people on my course.

(Ahhh sorry for the rant)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Sorry to hear that. I think maybe its your familys way of dealing with it, maybe they are in denial because they feel that they have failed you and are scared for you. Just let them know that you need their support and patience and not to feel like its all your fault because it isn't. I've only really told my mum about it too, she took it better than expected but again she seems to think I'm being selfish ( which I agree with because everything is great in my life right now) and that I will chase all my friends away ( not what I needed to hear but its the truth, it happened to me at college, I felt so isolated and angry). Tried talking to my sister but she said she hates talking about serious stuff and because she is younger I don't think she understands and I don't really talk to my dad about things like emotions.

I'm dreading going back to Uni too just because its so lonely there when I'm in halls in my room. Mum says I should try and talk to my other flat mates more but I just feel like I'm intruding. They are nice people but they are all on the same course and so hang out with each other more and I just don't always feel like I belong there with them. We don't really have much in common and I just feel so boring and insignificant around them...I have this "sorry I exist" attitude. I only ever seem to be fun around them when I'm drunk which is a bit of an insult, one time they saw me at the pub having a good time with my friends and they automatically assumed I was drunk because I was laughing...just because I don't feel comfortable around them it doesn't mean that I act that way all the time. At least I feel better around the people on my course.

(Ahhh sorry for the rant)
    Tha'ts why I hate depression it makes me unappreciative of life and end up driving people away. Now since midnight my parents have not spoken to me and just in my room by myself. I'm even scared to go down and even eat as Im sure my parents hate me. I think I am just gonna stay in my room until I go back to uni. At least that way I am not being a nuisance.

Don't apologise for ranting this is what this thread is for. Plus if no one rants I wont rant either lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    Tha'ts why I hate depression it makes me unappreciative of life and end up driving people away. Now since midnight my parents have not spoken to me and just in my room by myself. I'm even scared to go down and even eat as Im sure my parents hate me. I think I am just gonna stay in my room until I go back to uni. At least that way I am not being a nuisance.

Don't apologise for ranting this is what this thread is for. Plus if no one rants I wont rant either lol
    Lol yay for ranting.
    I don't think you should avoid your parents to be honest, they still love you at the end of the day and the longer you avoid them the harder it will be to talk to them.
    I had an argument with my mum and went upstairs to sulk and felt really bad. Thinking about all the stuff she has had to deal with, loss of a child, problems at work, she seems to spend so much time on us, she never has a moment to her self and I just felt sick with guilt so I went down stairs and apologised to her. She is my inspiration for trying to overcome depression/anxiety because she has been through hell on her own with little support and yet she is still here and she's so strong, I wish I had her strength.

I think your parents are just giving you space to calm down ( mum does that a lot to me), just think through what you want to say to them in a way that they will understand and not feel like you are attacking them. Let them know how tough Uni has been for you and that you are glad that you have them around. Parents are like little kiddies sometimes, they like to feel appreciated and to be praised :laugh:, helps them to think they are doing a good job of bringing you up.

I feel depressed today. And very tired. I didn't a drink a lot last night (just one glass of champagne) to avoid the inevitable New Year's Day hangover/lowness, but I feel bad anyway. I can feel it in my stomach; something I haven't experienced for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    I feel depressed today. And very tired. I didn't a drink a lot last night (just one glass of champagne) to avoid the inevitable New Year's Day hangover/lowness, but I feel bad anyway. I can feel it in my stomach; something I haven't experienced for a while.
    :hugs: I hope you feel better soon.

How is everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    :hugs: I hope you feel better soon.

How is everyone else?
    bored as ****

ReputationRep:
    man things are bad
    im fed up, i woke up at 4pm today when i have exams in a few weeks. failure is inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    man things are bad
    im fed up, i woke up at 4pm today when i have exams in a few weeks. failure is inevitable.
    best of luck malsy :console:

(Original post by Vandroid)
    Hi everyone.
    hi mate

ReputationRep:
    Please don't give up. I hate talking about the future too or even thinking about it, there seems to be so much emphasis on it now I'm no longer at college. Just take each day as it comes :hugs: lets make this year a good one.
    Thanks. Don't know how you manage to be so nice to everyone all the time. Hope you have a good year.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    Lol yay for ranting.
    I don't think you should avoid your parents to be honest, they still love you at the end of the day and the longer you avoid them the harder it will be to talk to them.
    I had an argument with my mum and went upstairs to sulk and felt really bad. Thinking about all the stuff she has had to deal with, loss of a child, problems at work, she seems to spend so much time on us, she never has a moment to her self and I just felt sick with guilt so I went down stairs and apologised to her. She is my inspiration for trying to overcome depression/anxiety because she has been through hell on her own with little support and yet she is still here and she's so strong, I wish I had her strength.

I think your parents are just giving you space to calm down ( mum does that a lot to me), just think through what you want to say to them in a way that they will understand and not feel like you are attacking them. Let them know how tough Uni has been for you and that you are glad that you have them around. Parents are like little kiddies sometimes, they like to feel appreciated and to be praised :laugh:, helps them to think they are doing a good job of bringing you up.
    I think I may slowly try and start talking to them again. Just that my mum does not believe that depression exist due to being a christian. I was hoping that by staying away they will notice something is wrong and then i could tell them. But i guess they will never understand and even if i start talking to my parents again i dont think i will ever tell them about it.

Anyway enough about my problems. How has the start to a new year been for you so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Aw whats up?

ReputationRep:
    im just finding it hard atm, im not in a very good state tbh and ihjst cant cope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    im just finding it hard atm, im not in a very good state tbh and ihjst cant cope
    I know how you feel sometimes i wonder how i manage to live so far.

Is there anything in particular that is currently making you feel this way?

ReputationRep:
    i dont hknow why im living tbh im exactly the same why am i carrying on when things are so bad?
    thanks for your concerns chrisateen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    i dont hknow why im living tbh im exactly the same why am i carrying on when things are so bad?
    thanks for your concerns chrisateen
    Maybe because we have to exist even though life is to painful for us to live. I always wished that I had the courage to kill myself but I'm still here. Part of being a human being is surviving and you are a survivor and should take pride in living for this long despite how bad you feel :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    malsy i hate you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    malsy i hate you.
    why exactly? you negd me. if it helps i'll pos rep you in a month. sorry, nothing personal.

you ok, up so early?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.