Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex345)
    Nope, this is totally new to me, I've never once considered anything such as this before. I've never been depressed before, however I definately have issues in my past that may be related to this and the feelings of guilt: my parent's divorce, for a start, combined with other not so pleasant things growing up. There are many things I feel negative about the moment that I didn't give a second thought to before - University, what I want to do with my future, money worries, exams etc. Two months ago I wouldn't let any of this get to me - now I get into a muddle over the smallest problem. I'm totally lacking in self confidence, I'm not sleeping well and I flitter between overeating or not eating at all. I also find it very hard to concentrate on anything for anymore than 10 minutes or so.

I would say that yes, I do feel depressed a significant amount of time. It's not severe to the extent of thoughts of self harming, but just things that I used to enjoy hold little appeal now: in essence, I'm just not 'me'.

It's not just bad thoughts about my relationship, its affecting all aspects of my life. I've only had such thoughts since noticing signs of depression; before they've never occured.
    sounds like it could be some kind of anxiety disorder, I'd definitely get yourself to your gp asap. make sure you tell him/her all the details (from what you said before it sounded like relationship problems rather than something being wrong with you) and don't be afraid to say you'd rather have counselling than meds- because they'll almost certainly suggest those first.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    Wait till u get to uni hun - it gets a whole lot worse! In fact I advise you going to it because school made you explode - uni made me explode so i'd hate to think how you would react to it! (not meant to be offensive here)

I hate uni - cant wait till june - the perpetual nightmare will be over!

Also are you going to a state comprehensive? I went to a state comprehensive school in London - it was great. State compers ftw:cool:
    i justt feel like im wasting my life my youth my teenage years being depressed (out of my control) and not living and so what is the point in being alive if you're not actually living. i go to a normal state school? i just hate everything atm and i feel like ive been such a waste in this life, i had the chances and now theres no light for a life as ive ruined things before that life could even ever begin.
    uni-i wont be going straight away, duh. not ready too depressed and mentally ****** and just want to sleep and never wake up tbh. wow that soiunds PERFECT

ReputationRep:
    Wait till u get to uni hun - it gets a whole lot worse! In fact I advise you going to it because school made you explode - uni made me explode so i'd hate to think how you would react to it! (not meant to be offensive here)
    I dunno, uni can be ok it just depends on so many things. Like my first uni was ok for me and it wasn't due to lack of friends that I left (not going to go into why) although my next 2 were/are **** so it just depends. And if malsy isn't having a great time at 6th form perhaps uni is what she needs, a change of atmosphere, new friends, new experiences, it can really help some people. Not trying to diminish your experiences blue_shift, just saying what can happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I dunno, uni can be ok it just depends on so many things. Like my first uni was ok for me and it wasn't due to lack of friends that I left (not going to go into why) although my next 2 were/are **** so it just depends. And if malsy isn't having a great time at 6th form perhaps uni is what she needs, a change of atmosphere, new friends, new experiences, it can really help some people. Not trying to diminish your experiences blue_shift, just saying what can happen.
    i've been to oxford, warwick, now at ucl - 3/3 uni's has been ****. Infact I think i am not meant for uni. I hate uni and the people in uni - bunch of stuck up toffs.

Malsy, get a job for 6 months or so in a cafe or something and then go travelling. It will hopefully give added meaning to your life. Travelling adds new perspective to your life and thus I hope that I will benefit from it this june

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Sleeping is brilliant. but tragic at the smae time when it's the only thing you have to do to avoid self-destructuion

i'm in year 13 --a school not college but yeah

i just want to die blue shift i cant take everyday life anymore.
    :hugs: hurrah for sleeping, I'm just annoyed at the lack of sleep I got last night, even though I was stupidly exhausted. Yeah 13 was a tough time for me too ( I think when things really started to head south for me.) How are the A Levels coming along? Try not to bite off more than you can chew but try and keep motivated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    :hugs: hurrah for sleeping, I'm just annoyed at the lack of sleep I got last night, even though I was stupidly exhausted. Yeah 13 was a tough time for me too ( I think when things really started to head south for me.) How are the A Levels coming along? Try not to bite off more than you can chew but try and keep motivated
    That's interesting. Year 12/13 were the best academic years of my life! I took on no pressure and had no pressure to do well and even during exam season i wasn't stressed in year 12 or 13. I got E's and U's all year (year 12 and 13) in the mocks and i didn't care and I somehow ended up with 4A's. Shame the same attitude doesn't work in uni

ReputationRep:
    i slept an hour-mum woke me up but im glad about that otherwise i wouldnt be awake now. i slept at 8 am today til 12 ish which was weird

a levels are coming along extremely slowly.i cant wait to finish them
    i just hate everything atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    a levels are coming along extremely slowly.i cant wait to finish them
    i just hate everything atm
    good luck. If you need any help with maths, physics or geography, giv me a shout

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting. Year 12/13 were the best academic years of my life! I took on no pressure and had no pressure to do well and even during exam season i wasn't stressed in year 12 or 13. I got E's and U's all year (year 12 and 13) in the mocks and i didn't care and I somehow ended up with 4A's. Shame the same attitude doesn't work in uni
    Wow 4 A's !
    I think it was more the environment for me than anything else that got me down and one of my teachers wound me up to the point of me nearly having a nervous breakdown. I was so glad to get away from that place.

Malsy this year will fly by, A Levels will be over before you know it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Wow 4 A's !
    I think it was more the environment for me than anything else that got me down and one of my teachers wound me up to the point of me nearly having a nervous breakdown. I was so glad to get away from that place.

Malsy this year will fly by, A Levels will be over before you know it!
    Hi Rach,

I think the environment is deffo a big thing. I loved the environment and surroundings at highschool so was at ease and excelled, but I hate(d) the uni environment and as a result am not achieving to my full potential. In fact I don't think I can ever achieve to my full potential because i don't like the way that uni works. It's dumb - lectures - try to scribble down notes and just get confused - you don't really get taught anything at uni.

ReputationRep:
    yes and i can't wait-something kind of to look forward to but sufferiong along the way and not knowing what il be doing after. if i had it my way id do nothing after - sleep all day etc but parents won't really allow that:erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    yes and i can't wait-something kind of to look forward to but sufferiong along the way and not knowing what il be doing after. if i had it my way id do nothing after - sleep all day etc but parents won't really allow that:erm:
    my dad kicked me out of bed once sometime in autumn 2006, at 12pm . I will never forget how angrily he did that *shudders*. No one has the right to interrupt ones sleep :mad:

Once again, TRAVEL!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rach,

I think the environment is deffo a big thing. I loved the environment and surroundings at highschool so was at ease and excelled, but I hate(d) the uni environment and as a result am not achieving to my full potential. In fact I don't think I can ever achieve to my full potential because i don't like the way that uni works. It's dumb - lectures - try to scribble down notes and just get confused - you don't really get taught anything at uni.
    Yeah I hate that aspect of Uni to, the whole "you are adults now so are responsible for your own learning" excuse. I thought studies show that it is harder to learn/remember things as you get older? Just because we are "adults" it doesn't mean we don't need help.

Anyway how are you ( I did recieve that PM by the way, I sent you a response just to let you know it was working).
    Have your lectures started again yet? I've moved back now and am feeling really alone, I actually miss my family, having people around me. Hopefully things will improve when all my flat mates are back, just so that it isn't so quiet and so that I can hear other voices to block out the ones in my head :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone else gets this; I was just in the kitchen waiting for dinner to cook and I tried to read some magazine on the table but all the words were moving and it was strange as ****. Also absolutely impossible to read no matter how hard I tried. Computer words don't move but I'm having to really concentrate to follow them, which is giving me a headache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Just wondering if anyone else gets this; I was just in the kitchen waiting for dinner to cook and I tried to read some magazine on the table but all the words were moving and it was strange as ****. Also absolutely impossible to read no matter how hard I tried. Computer words don't move but I'm having to really concentrate to follow them, which is giving me a headache.
    i don't get those exact symtoms but i find it neigh impossible to read on an empty stomach! Once i was so hungry i read a word then became hyper and looked around and made weird sounds and tried to read another word and more songs/sounds, before it became obvious i was going to get nothing done so i stopped and ate. :eek:

my suggestion - don't read anything until after you've eaten! Speaking of which....i am badly craving food!

ReputationRep:
    i don't get those exact symtoms but i find it neigh impossible to read on an empty stomach! Once i was so hungry i read a word then became hyper and looked around and made weird sounds and tried to read another word and more songs/sounds, before it became obvious i was going to get nothing done so i stopped and ate. :eek:

my suggestion - don't read anything until after you've eaten! Speaking of which....i am badly craving food!
    Ok thanks for the reply. You might be right, although I didn't really feel that hungry, I was only making food because a) it went "off" yesterday so I should eat it and b) it was dinner time. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    Can't say that I've experienced that Sabertooth , like blue said, it could be the hunger or maybe you're tired?

ReputationRep:
    Wait till u get to uni hun - it gets a whole lot worse! In fact I advise you against going to it because school made you explode - uni made me explode so i'd hate to think how you would react to it! (not meant to be offensive here)

I hate uni - cant wait till june - the perpetual nightmare will be over!

Also are you going to a state comprehensive? I went to a state comprehensive school in London - it was great. State compers ftw:cool:
    I agree, im so desperately unhappy and bored. At school I thought all my unhappiness was from school and that I'd be elated when I left, but it hasn't been like that. If most people's futures are a tunnel I feel like mine has caved in in front of me, and that I can't think of anything that will keep me going. Im seriously behind and with my first exam tomorrow I really doubt if I will pass cause I was just never in. I hate how oppressive my parents are to me, and how I'd be killed if they found out I'm failing again.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else binge on crap like crisps etc every day and drink just to take your mind off it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Does anyone else binge on crap like crisps etc every day and drink just to take your mind off it?
    i was just wondering.....are you a toff? :eek:

On another note, sorry to hear you are having problems with uni - i hate it too. I failed my first year (of maths), kinda, dropped out of engineering:eek: and tried 2 more courses - pm me if you want the shocking truth :rolleyes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.