Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, sorry for not being here for a while. How is everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    first time i've seen you smile:p: , Good to see a smile from a depressed person - you made my day! :hugs:
    How is everybody today? I'm just about to leave for a spanish class! .

Oh guess what guys? I finally decided i'm not doing a masters - doing a 3 year course and going travelling. I filled out and submitted my "change of course" form yesterday and i changed from a 4 year to 3 year program, so I graduate this summer!!!! *huge sigh of relief!*
    Sounds great! Nice to see that you are doing something you want to do :yep: , should be exciting graduating this Summer! Are you planning on visiting anywhere in particular or just going wherever the wind takes you?

I'm not too bad thanks. Had a bit of a stresssful afternoon but I'm not going to let it ruin my day. I'm having a bit of second thoughts in terms of who I'm sharing a house with in the next academic year but its a bit too late to pull out now as we've agreed to sign the contract, just wish I'd been honest from the off but nevermind, it could be good, I'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Sounds great! Nice to see that you are doing something you want to do :yep: , should be exciting graduating this Summer! Are you planning on visiting anywhere in particular or just going wherever the wind takes you?

I'm not too bad thanks. Had a bit of a stresssful afternoon but I'm not going to let it ruin my day. I'm having a bit of second thoughts in terms of who I'm sharing a house with in the next academic year but its a bit too late to pull out now as we've agreed to sign the contract, just wish I'd been honest from the off but nevermind, it could be good, I'll just have to wait and see.
    the wind!!!!. i want to be a free spirit or something! I hope i win the lottery or something, haha! Need some dosh:P

ReputationRep:
    :rant: I cant stick much more of my mums nosiness and nagging and stifling me.
    And I want a car.

ReputationRep:
    the wind!!!!. i want to be a free spirit or something! I hope i win the lottery or something, haha! Need some dosh:P
    Lol yeah! Even though I had a couple of weeks work I still find that the money is disappearing.
    I'd love to be a leaf and just float anywhere the wind takes me :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    :rant: I cant stick much more of my mums nosiness and nagging and stifling me.
    And I want a car.
    my mum wont let me get insured on the family car! So i spent £750 on driving lessons + Pass plus course and now i have no car to drive in!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Lol yeah! Even though I had a couple of weeks work I still find that the money is disappearing.
    I'd love to be a leaf and just float anywhere the wind takes me :laugh:
    I spend £10 a week buying food from nandos and other shops. I wonder whether I should stop doing this and spend £5 on the lottery just for that bit of hope! Or even £1, lol!

ReputationRep:
    my mum wont let me get insured on the family car! So i spent £750 on driving lessons + Pass plus course and now i have no car to drive in!!!
    Oh dear, so sly. I don't know how much ******* public transport I can actually take. I'll never understand people who don't mind it.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling so so ****. I've been crying on and off all day, was late to my class because I couldn't stop crying. I just can't do this. Like over Christmas I was actually feeling pretty ok, I mean there was off days and **** but mostly ok, my psychiatrist was well surprised when I got back and told her how stuff was pretty good. Now it's all crumbling down again. I've been thinking of suicide so much the past few days and there hasn't been one night in nearly a week when I haven't cried myself to sleep. I feel pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Feeling so so ****. I've been crying on and off all day, was late to my class because I couldn't stop crying. I just can't do this. Like over Christmas I was actually feeling pretty ok, I mean there was off days and **** but mostly ok, my psychiatrist was well surprised when I got back and told her how stuff was pretty good. Now it's all crumbling down again. I've been thinking of suicide so much the past few days and there hasn't been one night in nearly a week when I haven't cried myself to sleep. I feel pathetic.
    :hugs: I started counting how many days I didn't cry - got to about four days in three months before I decided it was just too depressing. At least you were ok for a while - shows that this doesn't have to last forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Oh dear, so sly. I don't know how much ******* public transport I can actually take. I'll never understand people who don't mind it.
    i dont mind it :rolleyes: In fact its preferable to driving in london as youd just get stuck in traffic driving!

ReputationRep:
    Help. Is anyone there that I know?

ReputationRep:
    All my housemates are back now. I've already started avoiding them. It's alright when I'm just talking to one of them but when there's two of them I just seem to fade out of the conversation. Half the time when I speak they don't even hear me. So then I start thinking maybe it's best to avoid speaking to them altogether and just end up hiding in my room...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've not posted in here before. I hardly ever come on TSR these days in fact. But I need to talk to some students who know what depression is like; advice from people who've never experienced it isn't quite the same.

After feeling consistently pretty down and weird in the head since august, I've now fallen into proper depression. I 'fell into the hole', as I describe it, a week before christmas. I've seen a doctor twice: I'm starting CBT soon and have been offered medication. I haven't taken them up on that because I wanted to give it a while to see if it would start to improve. Right now, I don't feel like thats going to be happening anytime soon.

Worst thing is im in my third year of uni. They've given me an extension on an essay and ive filled in a mitigating circumstances form. But that doesn't even help. I just can't do it. I don't know if anyone else here has experienced third year, but the work load is huge. Even if I do manage to get the essay done, which feels impossible, right after that its just going to be dissertation and seminar work and more essays and writing the diss, and then exams....I literally don't know how I'm going to do it. Especially the dissertation. How the hell am i ever going to write 12,000 words??? I can't even focus enough to take notes. And I'd barely done any work for it last semester because I was relying on the xmas holidays...

I don't feel capable of doing this. But dropping out seems such a shame when 1) before this **** took over me I was doing really well, I even had a slim chance of getting a first; 2) I've put in 2.5 years of work and would have £20,000 debt for nothing; 3) it could mess up my future. But I don't think deferring is an option: the idea of having another years worth of debt is horrible, plus I wouldn't know anyone at uni (I already feel lonely enough with the friends that I do have up here, so that would be horrible).

And yet I literally cannot see how I'm going to get the work done that is required! Even doing the basic minimum seems impossible. Even that would be so much. Its such an undertaking when all I feel capable of doing is watching tv shows. Then there's the social pressure of living up here. All I want to do is move back to my parents where I feel safe and loved and looked after and there is no pressure to act happy and like a normal human in front of people I just can't connect with.

I guess I just need to start on the medication (although its sad to accept im at that point). Do you think it will help? It takes 4 weeks to even have an effect...What do I do for those 4 weeks? I'm meant to have 3,000 words done in two weeks.

I just.....wanted to get that out, I feel so hopeless and pathetic, I don't know what to do. I'd really appreciate some practical advice, especially from people who've struggled with academic work because of depression. What was your solution?

Why did this have to happen now?! So near the end! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fake plastic love)
    Hi, I've not posted in here before. I hardly ever come on TSR these days in fact. But I need to talk to some students who know what depression is like; advice from people who've never experienced it isn't quite the same.

After feeling consistently pretty down and weird in the head since august, I've now fallen into proper depression. I 'fell into the hole', as I describe it, a week before christmas. I've seen a doctor twice: I'm starting CBT soon and have been offered medication. I haven't taken them up on that because I wanted to give it a while to see if it would start to improve. Right now, I don't feel like thats going to be happening anytime soon.

Worst thing is im in my third year of uni. They've given me an extension on an essay and ive filled in a mitigating circumstances form. But that doesn't even help. I just can't do it. I don't know if anyone else here has experienced third year, but the work load is huge. Even if I do manage to get the essay done, which feels impossible, right after that its just going to be dissertation and seminar work and more essays and writing the diss, and then exams....I literally don't know how I'm going to do it. Especially the dissertation. How the hell am i ever going to write 12,000 words??? I can't even focus enough to take notes. And I'd barely done any work for it last semester because I was relying on the xmas holidays...

I don't feel capable of doing this. But dropping out seems such a shame when 1) before this **** took over me I was doing really well, I even had a slim chance of getting a first; 2) I've put in 2.5 years of work and would have £20,000 debt for nothing; 3) it could mess up my future. But I don't think deferring is an option: the idea of having another years worth of debt is horrible, plus I wouldn't know anyone at uni (I already feel lonely enough with the friends that I do have up here, so that would be horrible).

And yet I literally cannot see how I'm going to get the work done that is required! Even doing the basic minimum seems impossible. Even that would be so much. Its such an undertaking when all I feel capable of doing is watching tv shows. Then there's the social pressure of living up here. All I want to do is move back to my parents where I feel safe and loved and looked after and there is no pressure to act happy and like a normal human in front of people I just can't connect with.

I guess I just need to start on the medication (although its sad to accept im at that point). Do you think it will help? It takes 4 weeks to even have an effect...What do I do for those 4 weeks? I'm meant to have 3,000 words done in two weeks.

I just.....wanted to get that out, I feel so hopeless and pathetic, I don't know what to do. I'd really appreciate some practical advice, especially from people who've struggled with academic work because of depression. What was your solution?

Hey there

I'm only in second year but I can sympathise with you; I had extensions on 3 essays right before christmas and I'm so behind on all lecture and seminar readings I really have no idea how I'm going to catch up before exams as well as getting a 5000 word essay done. It's awful.

Tbh yeah I'd give the medication a go if I was you (even though effects can be pretty horrible from it sometimes) because the only other thing I can think of would be for you to take a year out, get your head together and return at the same point. Universities are usually pretty understanding about that, and if you were to take a year out now it's possible they'd let you start term 2 next year just as if you were doing it this year - hence no more debt (although probably accommodation debt.....). But you said you don't want to do that so yeah give the medication a try because CBT takes ages and I can see you really don't have that kind of time available to you. :hugs:

I dunno, hope this helped in some way. :o:

ReputationRep:

Well my solution was to drop out, supposed to go back next year, although I'm not too sure of the likelihood of that happening. I started on antidepressants in September, was hoping that with them I'd be able to get through final year, but turned out I got worse rather than better.

I'd say stick with uni as long as you can, because if you drop out and have nothing to do every day it can leave you feeling worse. Keep your uni informed as much as possible about what's going on so they'll keep giving you extensions etc. when you need them.

If it does get to the stage where you need to drop out, you could see if they'd let you come back and only repeat this semester. And you should be able to get your tuition fees back for the rest of the semester starting from when you left.

Hope things get better for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)
    Help. Is anyone there that I know?
    :jumphug: What's up?

ReputationRep:
    Why is my life so painful? like literally i just want to die. i dont want to go through this everyday anymore.
    :sigh: :'(

ReputationRep:

how i battled it was firstly by counselling. It kept me mentally stable enough to do work 'naturally' if that makes sense? But that was okay for 2 years but my counsellor retired and i have no one to keep me in check/order so i've gone into free fall!!!!! My new attitude to uni and academic work is "**** it", it doesn't matter - my health and mental and physical well being is far more important than anything academic!. So basically i do no work at uni/bare minimum, i chat loads on msn, and type loads here and do a lot of exercise to keep my mind away from academic woes and i also play my nintendo ds lite which i bought over xmas because i had no friends to play with

i hope some of that is helpful All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Another day wasted. The ****'s the point?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.