Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have stopped feeling hunger again... eaten basically **** all today but feel nothing. Hmm. Maybe new drugs will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryj0)
    hey,

ive had sleeping issues for the last year or so (really started when i stopped seeing my dad) and have since seen a lot of the symptoms of depression in myself. recently my doctor was prescribing me sleeping meds for the third time and mentioned maybe i should look in to it (since my issues are both getting to sleep and sustaining it - insomnia). i dont really remember when i started feeling this isolated or different, but i do know that it becomes worse at different points (when my mum got divorced for the second time; when i fell out with my dad, etc). my question is should i talk to my doctor about this and should i look to get some form of Prozac? Is anyone here on antidepressants and could tell me wat it is like?

I am not that open to therapists as i had bad exps with them when i was younger (for ADD)
    Definitely talk to your doctor if you think you might be depressed, it's the sort of thing you want to get treated for as quickly as possible, before it gets any worse.

I'm on antidepressants, can't say they've been any good for me so far, but I know they have helped other people. The side-effects can sometimes be a pain in the arse though, and they can really **** with your concentration.

I haven't tried therapy, but I've heard a lot depends on luck whether you get on with your therapist or not, so I wouldn't discount that altogether.

I sympathise with the insomnia, I get it on and off.

ReputationRep:
    Everytime I look in the mirror at myself I feel sick. I look disgusting and just checked my BMI which is now into the "overweight" range. :mad: I ******* hate these ******* "meds". I eat 2 weetabix for breakfast and generally meat and veg for dinner, that's it. No snacking except maybe an apple or banana. Even drinking pepsi max so it's got no calories. I'm going to try conquer my fear and hit the gym tonight, really not looking forward to that. None of my jeans fit and everytime my mum sees me she has to make some stupid dig about how she's nice and thin now and I'm just putting more and more weight on. I really feel disgusted with myself. I keep going to sports practise but it keeps getting cancelled because of some stupid university event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Everytime I look in the mirror at myself I feel sick. I look disgusting and just checked my BMI which is now into the "overweight" range. :mad: I ******* hate these ******* "meds". I eat 2 weetabix for breakfast and generally meat and veg for dinner, that's it. No snacking except maybe an apple or banana. Even drinking pepsi max so it's got no calories. I'm going to try conquer my fear and hit the gym tonight, really not looking forward to that. None of my jeans fit and everytime my mum sees me she has to make some stupid dig about how she's nice and thin now and I'm just putting more and more weight on. I really feel disgusted with myself. I keep going to sports practise but it keeps getting cancelled because of some stupid university event.
    Stop being so harsh on yourself. BMI doesn't really work if you do lots of sports anyway, cos you've got more muscle. And if the drugs have made you put on weight that only means there's no way you can rationally blame yourself.

Go to the gym, it'll make you feel better. And maybe see if there's any more sports you can sign up for, then even if one gets cancelled you can still go to the other.

And tell your mum from me she can shut the **** up :p:

ReputationRep:
    what a ******* crap day :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    what a ******* crap day :mad:
    ?

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Stop being so harsh on yourself. BMI doesn't really work if you do lots of sports anyway, cos you've got more muscle. And if the drugs have made you put on weight that only means there's no way you can rationally blame yourself.

Go to the gym, it'll make you feel better. And maybe see if there's any more sports you can sign up for, then even if one gets cancelled you can still go to the other.

And tell your mum from me she can shut the **** up :p:
    Maybe, I don't know. I feel like I should have noticed and should have gone to the gym earlier and eaten much less, and definitely drunk less. Might look into the sports, but refreshers week was last week (and no one told me until monday...) and I just get the same anxiety problems when I start something new.

Only problem with going to the gym is I need to wear a tshirt and my arm is a right mess, kind of went a bit crazy last term and there's a number of very deep scars to contend with all still very very red. Part of me just thinks **** it, I don't care what anyone thinks but I don't particularly want anyone to say anything and I have enough problems as it is walking into a full gym without them all knowing what a freak I am too.

I'm sorry for rambling on. You alright superwolf?

blue_shift, sup?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, I don't know. I feel like I should have noticed and should have gone to the gym earlier and eaten much less, and definitely drunk less. Might look into the sports, but refreshers week was last week (and no one told me until monday...) and I just get the same anxiety problems when I start something new.

Only problem with going to the gym is I need to wear a tshirt and my arm is a right mess, kind of went a bit crazy last term and there's a number of very deep scars to contend with all still very very red. Part of me just thinks **** it, I don't care what anyone thinks but I don't particularly want anyone to say anything and I have enough problems as it is walking into a full gym without them all knowing what a freak I am too.

I'm sorry for rambling on. You alright superwolf?

blue_shift, sup?
    I'm ok, not really looking forward to starting my new drugs... (still on mirtazapine til tomorrow). Just realised today I keep forgetting to eat again - had pretty much no proper food at all yesterday. Oops.

I also have to do an annoying amount of leaving the house this week, due to multiple trips to the doctor's, picking up prescriptions etc.

Is there an actual law which says you have to wear a t-shirt at the gym? Couldn't you just wear a long sleeved top? Or maybe work out a time when it'll be less busy, and go then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ok, not really looking forward to starting my new drugs... (still on mirtazapine til tomorrow). Just realised today I keep forgetting to eat again - had pretty much no proper food at all yesterday. Oops.

I also have to do an annoying amount of leaving the house this week, due to multiple trips to the doctor's, picking up prescriptions etc.

Is there an actual law which says you have to wear a t-shirt at the gym? Couldn't you just wear a long sleeved top? Or maybe work out a time when it'll be less busy, and go then.
    I did it! ok it was only 35minutes (10minutes rowing, 25cycling) but I thought start small and work up (plus my shins are killing omg). It was totally packed though - I thought going late (it closes at 9.15 or so) would mean it's not too full, I was wrong

You should set an alarm so when it goes off you go to the kitchen and eat something, anything, if you have like a routine it makes it easier....maybe... though I reckon when you start the new ones you'll be hungry, in that class of drugs I have put on so much weight with 3 out of 5. They're pretty notorious for it.

ReputationRep:
    I did it! ok it was only 35minutes (10minutes rowing, 25cycling) but I thought start small and work up (plus my shins are killing omg). It was totally packed though - I thought going late (it closes at 9.15 or so) would mean it's not too full, I was wrong

You should set an alarm so when it goes off you go to the kitchen and eat something, anything, if you have like a routine it makes it easier....maybe... though I reckon when you start the new ones you'll be hungry, in that class of drugs I have put on so much weight with 3 out of 5. They're pretty notorious for it.
    Well done. As a reward, you get a picture of a kitten.

http://www.innocentenglish.com/cute-...e-kitten-5.jpg

I hope you enjoyed your reward.

I am really really bad with routines. I might see if I can set an alarm on my laptop though...

ReputationRep:

congratulations! One small step for Sabertooth is a giant leap for humanity

ReputationRep:
    Well done. As a reward, you get a picture of a kitten.

http://www.innocentenglish.com/cute-...e-kitten-5.jpg

I hope you enjoyed your reward.

I am really really bad with routines. I might see if I can set an alarm on my laptop though...
    awwwww

This cheered me up today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLUAnXCfKp0

What an awesome cat

(Original post by blue_shift86)
    congratulations! One small step for Sabertooth is a giant leap for humanity
    Thanks man.

How's it going?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, how are you all? Sorry for not showing my face in a while.

:hugs: to all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Hey everyone, how are you all? Sorry for not showing my face in a while.

:hugs: to all
    How're you?

ReputationRep:
    How're you?
    Surviving, had some news which is good but scary at the same time...

How're you?

ReputationRep:
    I just don't seem able to sleep atm... Even though I've only had about 5 hours sleep since Saturday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I just don't seem able to sleep atm... Even though I've only had about 5 hours sleep since Saturday...
    drink some hazelnut latte with cream from starbucks - it'll help you feel better

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I haven't posted here in months upon months, just seeking some advice.

I reduced my dose of Citalopram from 40mg to 30mg over Christmas with no big problems, after having been on it for a year. Last week, I went down to 20mg. Mood has been ok apart from a bad night on Saturday, when I went back up to 30 again for a day, then back to 20. In the last few days, I have felt physically very similar to how I felt last year, in the midst of depression. Very tired despite getting a full night's sleep, energy totally depleted to the point where it's a mental battle to walk down the street, and barely any motivation. Struggled to make myself go to my one lecture this morning, having missed the last two days of uni. All my body wants to do is lie around in bed, being unsociable!

What I'm wondering is, is this just a side-effect of reducing my dose, or are these symptoms of the original depression? Should I persevere, or go back up to 30mg? I will speak to my doctor reasonably soon, just unsure of what to do today.

Hope you're all well.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys.
    thought i would join this society for a bit of help.
    Basically i think i have been depressed for quite some time now. Not sure exactly how long but I know it has got steadily worse over the last few months. Looking back i think i have been on this slippery slope for a few years.
    Anyway, I finally got the courage to go to the doctors today, and they have given me Citalopram tablets to take once a day for month, also got an appointment for a few weeks time to take a questionnaire (i am guessing this is to find out how severe it is? can anybody tell me what sort of questions they are?)
    really want advice for telling my parents as although my mum has been aware of me being down, i told noone about going to the doctors and i really don't want her to get worried or upset about it as i don't think it is severe. i do want them to know though.
    i was also advised to see my uni counselor, but i am a bit reluctant to until i find out how severe it is and to see if the tablets work.
    Please can people give me some general advice aswell, i am really scared about the whole thing, and i hope i start to feel better again soon.
    Thankyou and i hope you are all doing well on your treatments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer_Lovin)
    Hey Guys.
    thought i would join this society for a bit of help.
    Basically i think i have been depressed for quite some time now. Not sure exactly how long but I know it has got steadily worse over the last few months. Looking back i think i have been on this slippery slope for a few years.
    Anyway, I finally got the courage to go to the doctors today, and they have given me Citalopram tablets to take once a day for month, also got an appointment for a few weeks time to take a questionnaire (i am guessing this is to find out how severe it is? can anybody tell me what sort of questions they are?)
    really want advice for telling my parents as although my mum has been aware of me being down, i told noone about going to the doctors and i really don't want her to get worried or upset about it as i don't think it is severe. i do want them to know though.
    i was also advised to see my uni counselor, but i am a bit reluctant to until i find out how severe it is and to see if the tablets work.
    Please can people give me some general advice aswell, i am really scared about the whole thing, and i hope i start to feel better again soon.
    Thankyou and i hope you are all doing well on your treatments.
    Sorry to hear you are having a hard time and welcome to the Society

I've had some counselling at Uni and even though it didn't completely get rid of my panic attacks I feel more empowered and know a bit more about how to handle my self when I have one or feel rubbish. I'd recommend that you give it a go and see if it might help you in some ways. If it doesn't then maybe the tablets might be a better option for you. I know its scary but at the end of the day whatever works for you is a good thing right? I know somone taking Citalopram at the mo and its been working for them. Obviously you will still feel sad at times but not so much depressed. Hope all goes well :hugs:

How is everyone?
    These past two weeks have been pretty good for me, only had a minor panic attack, I think I'm getting used to eating out again and not being so scared of food. Stayed up from 9pm till 1:45am cleaning the kitchen at Uni last night, it was actually very theraputic ( until I got to the leaking bin bags lol). I hope this feeling lasts.
    :hugs: to those who need it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.