Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I'm doing terrible. I thought citalopram was bad for making you feel sick but this is ******* nasty.
    you are on citalopram, I never had any side effects whatsoever. When you next see your GP ask to be put on escitalopram, but at the same dose as citalopram.
    It is a similar chemical to citalopram but it is more 'efficient', however because it is more efficient it is normal practice to half the dosage (ie 40mg citalopram = 20mg escitalopram), but obviously if you want to be seeing a big improvement I wouldn't change the dose, just the drug.

I would recommend 40mg escitalopram daily - worked miracles for me.

If it makes you feel sick, try taking with a glass of milk? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    you are on citalopram, I never had any side effects whatsoever. When you next see your GP ask to be put on escitalopram, but at the same dose as citalopram.
    It is a similar chemical to citalopram but it is more 'efficient', however because it is more efficient it is normal practice to half the dosage (ie 40mg citalopram = 20mg escitalopram), but obviously if you want to be seeing a big improvement I wouldn't change the dose, just the drug.

I would recommend 40mg escitalopram daily - worked miracles for me.

If it makes you feel sick, try taking with a glass of milk? :dontknow:
    I was on citalopram, which was horrible, then mirtazapine, but I started on venlafaxine today, and I am not enjoying it.

Think if I tried to eat or drink anything I'd actually throw up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Basically I have a very good mate who is slowly drinking himself to death :yy: He's a few years older than me but definitely not any wiser :rolleyes: We were just discussing how every time we see him, there is some kind of alcohol involved; going down town requires a stop at the pub for a pint, going out requires a stop by Tesco to the drink aisle, going for a night out (like tonight) means he gets so drunk he ends up offending everyone... He lectures me a lot about how I shouldn't drink so much, I shouldn't smoke (I only smoke when I can bum a cigarette off someone and I'm either very, very stressed or very drunk - I've smoked about 10 cigarettes in my entire life) and I shouldn't self harm because it doesn't help. He does all these things (I see his alcoholism as a form of self harm) and I honestly believe that he's using it as a coping method for his ex who cheated on him twice last summer who he's blatantly not over yet. He doesn't see his drinking as a problem but it's starting to affect how we get along because I just can't be bothered to take what he throws at me when he's drunk, whether it's snogging my best mate or invading my private works party... It's really getting to me now. He's got a slight heart murmur, dodgy kidneys and in October was quite ill with a liver infection but none of this seems to bother him? It bothers me. For a long time he was the one I turned to and if I lose him, I don't know how I'd carry on. He makes me smile when he comes on MSN, he texts me all the time, we can chat for hours when he's not drinking. But when he's drinking - he doesn't do 'one pint' drinking, it's all or nothing - he's a complete and utter ********. Unfortunately, drinking is a pretty much daily thing for him and so we're falling out a lot.
    That must be pretty nasty seeing him act like that. Unfortunately I think too many guys end up being like that - they end up thinking they need alcohol/drugs even just to hang about with their mates.

Don't give up on him yet though - eventually he might grow up...

ReputationRep:
    I was on citalopram, which was horrible, then mirtazapine, but I started on venlafaxine today, and I am not enjoying it.

Think if I tried to eat or drink anything I'd actually throw up.
    well you don't want to change too often because that won't help, but I would really recommend escitalopram (but remember to be on a large enough dose, like 40mg per day, thats really important).

Are you eating well normally?

ReputationRep:
    That must be pretty nasty seeing him act like that. Unfortunately I think too many guys end up being like that - they end up thinking they need alcohol/drugs even just to hang about with their mates.

I plan to talk to him about it at some point... But he always just shrugs it off and goes on about how it doesn't affect him. It's bull. He's stuck in the typical uni mentality of 'go out, get drunk, maybe do some work tomorrow' because he has a slightly irregular job (works from home, does about 14 hours a week but gets about £15 an hour - it's complicated but very little work) which just... doesn't work any more. Trouble is, there's never a good time. **** it, he's on MSN, I'm going to arrange to meet him over the weekend.

ReputationRep:

Oops, fail. Just asked him to a nice, civilised, alcohol free coffee and he said 'well, no, because alcohol is my social life' so I called him a ******** and he said that he would've actually said yes if I hadn't said that. So I said goodbye and signed out.

ReputationRep:
    well you don't want to change too often because that won't help, but I would really recommend escitalopram (but remember to be on a large enough dose, like 40mg per day, thats really important).

Are you eating well normally?
    My eating's been pretty bad. Most days I have pretty much no appetite at all or when I eat I feel sick after. But the venlafaxine started kicking in about an hour ago, I now feel much much worse.

Sigh... this is gonna be another horrible night.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Exactly why I don't want to go on drugs... Meh.

ReputationRep:
    Oops, fail. Just asked him to a nice, civilised, alcohol free coffee and he said 'well, no, because alcohol is my social life' so I called him a ******** and he said that he would've actually said yes if I hadn't said that. So I said goodbye and signed out.
    It'll seem better in the morning. You're both probably just a bit tired and pissed off with each other.

ReputationRep:
    It'll seem better in the morning. You're both probably just a bit tired and pissed off with each other.
    TBH this is how I spend most of my Thursday nights... Pissed off at him because he's done something drunkenly and him not understanding why I'm annoyed. Getting fed up of it now; I might just stop going out/seeing him...

ReputationRep:
    TBH this is how I spend most of my Thursday nights... Pissed off at him because he's done something drunkenly and him not understanding why I'm annoyed. Getting fed up of it now; I might just stop going out/seeing him...
    I hope you don't mind me being frank, but is he making your depression worse?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Exactly why I don't want to go on drugs... Meh.
    At the moment I really agree with you. Think I might go sit in the bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    My eating's been pretty bad. Most days I have pretty much no appetite at all or when I eat I feel sick after. But the venlafaxine started kicking in about an hour ago, I now feel much much worse.

Sigh... this is gonna be another horrible night.
    Talk to your doctor about escitalopram (remember the dose thing I said), and try to eat better, remember not to sleep during the day, I found that one of the reasons I had insomnia (I'd better go to bed actually ) is because the sleep pattern was so messed up.

Anyway I'm off now, remember PM me if you want

Take care.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you don't mind me being frank, but is he making your depression worse?
    Go ahead.

The extra stress he puts on me is not making me any better, let's put it that way. He's done a lot to help me with it, but inadvertently has ended up occasionally triggering me off or pushing me further down into depression with his actions, words and thoughts.

He told me the other day that I shouldn't be worried that my Dad was being posted to Afghanistan because 'he has more chance of being run over by a car than dying in a warzone' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i can't sleep until 3:30 pm~ ...i've not slept all night. FML ******* great. i just wish things weren't this way.

ReputationRep:
    this is silly and shallow but i think citalopram is now actually increasing my appetite rather than taking it away (which it did at first) and i can't stop eating. i am gaining weight again and it's making me really, really unhappy. logically i know that i'm not fat, but my clothes are getting tighter and i don't want to get to the stage where i have to lose weight to fit into them, because i've never been able to do that without getting extreme.

i'm back at university just for the day but i'm dreading the thought of coming back here indefinitely on monday. i'm going away for the night with my family to a nice hotel tomorrow though, so i'm trying my best not to think about it for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    hopefully going to the US of A. I applied to bunac and had my interview on sunday - i think it went crap so i have to wait and see if they accept me! I spent 5 years in and out of uni and that is kinda why i'm so cranky - i went to 3 different uni's and i've been miserable at all of them I hope you enjoy your course and uni
    That sounds really good, never really been to ameirca, is that travelling all over the country then? I am sure it didnt go crap, good luck with it all, you have got something exciting to look forward to at least! yeh its going ok, just all my motivation has gone out the window.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm back down on planet earth again and it sucks a bit. I'm getting the oh so familiar feelings of dispair and food suddenly doesn't seem so good anymore. I'm a bit fed up with this up down rollercoster like business. If things don't get any better within two weeks then I'm going to pop to the doctors. I'm just trying to ignore what my body and brain are telling me because it just brings me down and I don't want to be down anymore.

How are you all? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    If I would have succeeded in my suicide attempt on Monday 16th November 2009, the stress that I'm now experiencing would be non-existant. I had 'a moment' today since my university is being unsupportive and I went and brought sleeping pills (the university knows), and I wonder...would it be better to die sooner rather than later, in order to stop myself from feeling the cr*p that I now am /will in future. On the otherhand do I wait and see what happens (again) and think about others a little more...because suicide is selfish...according to some.
    Or would it be selfish of others to expect me to continue living when I don't want to, just to make their own lives better.

Life is a time period that seperates two infinite time periods, so life is infinetly shorter than before life and after death. Does this make life any less/any more important or 'valuable'. Or are we just complicated machines, with no intrinsic 'value' whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    If I would have succeeded in my suicide attempt on Monday 16th November 2009, the stress that I'm now experiencing would be non-existant. I had 'a moment' today since my university is being unsupportive and I went and brought sleeping pills (the university knows), and I wonder...would it be better to die sooner rather than later, in order to stop myself from feeling the cr*p that I now am /will in future. On the otherhand do I wait and see what happens (again) and think about others a little more...because suicide is selfish...according to some.
    Or would it be selfish of others to expect me to continue living when I don't want to, just to make their own lives better.

Life is a time period that seperates two infinite time periods, so life is infinetly shorter than before life and after death. Does this make life any less/any more important or 'valuable'. Or are we just complicated machines, with no intrinsic 'value' whatsoever?

Hmmm that got me thinking actually. I think that it is our ability to endure and go through the hard times that make us stronger and sometimes bring us closer together with people.
    Your arguments for and against suicide are both sound but at the end of the day there will always be a better tomorrow. I hold onto that, its what gets me through. :hugs: hope things are better for you today. I actually managed to get some sleep last night without waking up, had to watch a scary film).
    Try and fill your life with the things you enjoy doing.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.