Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    uni is not all that it is hyped up to be. Infact it's the worst experience of my **** life so far! Do year 13 cos you have so little time left, get a job over the summer and work a bit and then use the money to go to thailand or something! I'm gonig to the usa in june-august, back to uk for a bit then out to thailand for a month in november!
    I've had bad luck so far in finding a job, but I guess I'll keep trying. Thanks for the advice though :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with blue_shift, uni really isn't that great, especially when you have depression - actually it's ******* hard as hell. I can understand how you're struggling with your work alongside depression, me too, but I wouldn't say don't bother with uni at all if that's what you want to do, but I like blue_shift's idea of travelling, especially if it gives you time to sort your head out, get over depression and then you can evaluate what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    I've just been brought up from 40mg to 60mg of Citalopram. I'm worried that at this dose it's going to make concentrating pretty hard. Has anyone here been on this sort of dose? How did it work out for you?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    urgh i hate talking to people from the past knowing you so want to mmeeet them again but you cant cos youre a sad pathetic disgusting failure and :sad: just meh
    whyyy

ReputationRep:
    ******* great. Another ****** essay mark. I've done 4, had 2 back and both have been 2:2s. Why do I bother?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm thinking of doing Camp America this summer. Need to get out of this place.

But when I think about it I start to feel homesick?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    ******* great. Another ****** essay mark. I've done 4, had 2 back and both have been 2:2s. Why do I bother?
    :hugs: Don't blame yourself, eh? I don't mean this to sound at all patronising, but in some respects when you're going through a rough patch, it's an achievement to even submit something. A 2:2 isn't awful either - might not be your best, but it's not a fail!

uni really isn't that great, especially when you have depression - actually it's ******* hard as hell.
    You said it yourself, and I agree - it's really, really difficult. I know it makes you feel like **** when you don't do as well as you know you're capable of, but you haven't had the other two back yet. Try not to beat yourself up over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    :hugs: Don't blame yourself, eh? I don't mean this to sound at all patronising, but in some respects when you're going through a rough patch, it's an achievement to even submit something. A 2:2 isn't awful either - might not be your best, but it's not a fail!

You said it yourself, and I agree - it's really, really difficult. I know it makes you feel like **** when you don't do as well as you know you're capable of, but you haven't had the other two back yet. Try not to beat yourself up over it.
    thanks for trying.

You know what the really pathetic part is? I was given a 5week extension, and still managed to **** it up. Also, I had higher hopes for that essay than the remaining 2.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for trying.

You know what the really pathetic part is? I was given a 5week extension, and still managed to **** it up. Also, I had higher hopes for that essay than the remaining 2.
    Oh dear, well.. It's done now, I guess. It's really not pathetic though; it's completely understandable.

I'm doing awfully with uni work too at the moment. I have two (big) pieces of work due in under two weeks, both of which I haven't even started. I've had the whole of today free, but am finding it impossible to do anything. Every time I try, I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack because it makes me think about how much I want to leave and what a mess I'm in.

So you're not alone, at least.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, well.. It's done now, I guess. It's really not pathetic though; it's completely understandable.
    I'm doing awfully with uni work too at the moment. I have two (big) pieces of work due in under two weeks, both of which I haven't even started. I've had the whole of today free, but am finding it impossible to do anything. Every time I try, I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack because it makes me think about how much I want to leave and what a mess I'm in.
    So you're not alone, at least.
    I'm having this problem too... I've switched to a part-time MA course, been given a very generous extension on one of my essays, and have been working hard on controlling the panic attacks & the feelings of overwhelming hopelessness/helplessness, but I still can't seem to get back on track with the work and I'm running out of time. I've been on fluoxetine for three and a half weeks and have been given some classes in relaxation (which I recommend taking btw, if your uni provides them). It's all been helpful and everything, but I still don't sleep well at all (although all I ever really want to do is lie in bed), have no motivation and feel paralyzed by the fear, perfectionism etc... argh sick of this problem coming back whenever I think I've overcome it.

Best of luck with the work and everything - maybe try breathing techniques when you feel panicky and set small manageable goals on a daily basis? That's what I keep being told. Hope things get easier for you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    ********. The Camp America form asks about self harm. Lying would be frowned up, no?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin)
    I'm having this problem too... I've switched to a part-time MA course, been given a very generous extension on one of my essays, and have been working hard on controlling the panic attacks & the feelings of overwhelming hopelessness/helplessness, but I still can't seem to get back on track with the work and I'm running out of time. I've been on fluoxetine for three and a half weeks and have been given some classes in relaxation (which I recommend taking btw, if your uni provides them). It's all been helpful and everything, but I still don't sleep well at all (although all I ever really want to do is lie in bed), have no motivation and feel paralyzed by the fear, perfectionism etc... argh sick of this problem coming back whenever I think I've overcome it.

Best of luck with the work and everything - maybe try breathing techniques when you feel panicky and set small manageable goals on a daily basis? That's what I keep being told. Hope things get easier for you :hugs:
    :hugs: Sorry to hear things aren't too good for you either! I'm glad the classes are helping though - I think my uni do offer them, but I don't think there's any running at the moment. I'm having counselling here at the moment though which is somewhat helpful, so that's something. I'm also about 75% sure that I'm going to leave at Easter, so I'm not too worried about work.. Although I do want to keep my tutors on side in case I need them for references etc.

I know where you're coming from about not sleeping well even though you want to be in bed all the time! Have you always been like that or has it been since you started the fluoxetine? I started citalopram a few weeks ago actually, and it's really messed my sleep up. :rolleyes:

Thank you for being lovely - I really hope things get easier for you soon too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    ********. The Camp America form asks about self harm. Lying would be frowned up, no?!
    Seriously?! :eek:

I was thinking about doing that next year - eeek. I haven't self-harmed for a long, long time but I still have a few noticeable scars from when I was younger. I think lying would be frowned upon, yeah, but it depends whether you think you could get away with it I guess? Personally I don't think it'd be worth the risk, but if you do tell the truth then I'm not sure they'd take it all too well..

It depends on your situation, really. Good luck though.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?! :eek:

I was thinking about doing that next year - eeek. I haven't self-harmed for a long, long time but I still have a few noticeable scars from when I was younger. I think lying would be frowned upon, yeah, but it depends whether you think you could get away with it I guess? Personally I don't think it'd be worth the risk, but if you do tell the truth then I'm not sure they'd take it all too well..

It depends on your situation, really. Good luck though.
    I put yes, and then it asks for an explanation, so I put 'minimal self harm, no noticeable scars, fully recovered'. Which is... half true. I haven't self harmed since before Christmas :yy: and you can only see my scars if I take my watch off, they're not raised and they look just like I've fallen into a bush or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I put yes, and then it asks for an explanation, so I put 'minimal self harm, no noticeable scars, fully recovered'. Which is... half true. I haven't self harmed since before Christmas :yy: and you can only see my scars if I take my watch off, they're not raised and they look just like I've fallen into a bush or something.
    Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine then. They'll probably be grateful you've been honest - hope you get a place 'cause it looks awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine then. They'll probably be grateful you've been honest - hope you get a place 'cause it looks awesome!
    It looks amazing! I'm putting lots of emphasis on the riding side of me in the hope that I can get into a riding based camp.

I'm now umming and ahhing about the depression question. Do I have to put that I have it if I've only been to the doctors about it once and didn't follow up? :o:

ReputationRep:
    honestly want to kill myself, this week has been getting worse and worse. all these thoughts I dont want coming back, loads of arguments with my best friend, spent most my free time crying in bed hiding. seeing a new psychiatrist tomorrow really don't want to go, I don't want to know anymore, I don't want to take these ******* "meds", i don't want to be here. i have the means to do it I just need that final push :cry:

ReputationRep:
    honestly want to kill myself, this week has been getting worse and worse. all these thoughts I dont want coming back, loads of arguments with my best friend, spent most my free time crying in bed hiding. seeing a new psychiatrist tomorrow really don't want to go, I don't want to know anymore, I don't want to take these ******* "meds", i don't want to be here. i have the means to do it I just need that final push :cry:
    Please stay strong. Remember, if you keep on living, things can only get better. But if you kill yourself now, well, nothing will ever be better, and you'll never know unless you try. :console: Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ilies/hugs.gif Sorry to hear things aren't too good for you either! I'm glad the classes are helping though - I think my uni do offer them, but I don't think there's any running at the moment. I'm having counselling here at the moment though which is somewhat helpful, so that's something. I'm also about 75% sure that I'm going to leave at Easter, so I'm not too worried about work.. Although I do want to keep my tutors on side in case I need them for references etc.
    I know where you're coming from about not sleeping well even though you want to be in bed all the time! Have you always been like that or has it been since you started the fluoxetine? I started citalopram a few weeks ago actually, and it's really messed my sleep up. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/rolleyes.gif
    Thank you for being lovely - I really hope things get easier for you soon too.
    Thanks Sorry to hear you're contemplating leaving, though I can certainly empathise. I think it's good that you're waiting until Easter to make the decision though. I wanted to drop out or take the year out immediately once my panic set in, but was persuaded that it was a bad idea to make big decisions when in that state. The main reason I'm still here is because I have a £12, 000 bank loan to pay back whatever I do I wanted to do this course more than anything so it seems so ridiculous that I'm now so miserable over the whole thing.

I'm glad you're getting somewhere with the counselling My counsellor referred me to the relaxation classes and has mentioned there might be meditation ones as well - might be worth asking your counsellor if they can recommend anything? What form do your panic attacks take (if you don't mind me asking)?

Well I am wondering if the fluoxetine's making the insomnia worse - it certainly did in the first 2 weeks. To be honest though I found that in the few weeks before I was put on it I wasn't sleeping at all due to the intensity of my panic and negative thoughts - it's actually one of the reasons I was put on the medication in the first place. How're you finding citalopram? Hope you didn't get any nasty side effects. I wonder what the difference is between that and the fluoxetine - I get the impression even the doctors aren't really sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Please stay strong. Remember, if you keep on living, things can only get better. But if you kill yourself now, well, nothing will ever be better, and you'll never know unless you try. :console: Hope you feel better soon
    well things could get even worse as they seem to have been doing for the last 7 years.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.