Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin)
    Aw yeah, that must be really difficult - especially considering it's your masters. It was obviously the right choice for you to stick it out ultimately though, if it's what you really wanted to do. I know it's still a big decision for me but considering it's only my first year of my undergrad, I still have the chance to 'start over' if that's what I really want to do, I guess. Obviously a lot of it is to do with the personal problems I'm having, but I also think I'd still be unhappy here if i was fine so it's likely that I will leave. I know it's ridiculously hard being at university when you feel like this, but I'm sure you'll pull through and it'll be worth it in the end.

Yeah, I guess I could ask my counsellor, although any courses would probably be next term and so it'd be slightly pointless if I'm not going to be here. :p: My panic attacks aren't too bad, in any case, so hopefully it'll be okay. Obviously they're horrible at the time, but I know of people who get much worse ones - I just get really, really terrified and feel like I'm going to throw up and die but it usually passes quickly. I don't get them that often at all anymore, anyway.

It might be the fluoxetine contributing to it then, yeah. I know what you mean though - it's difficult to tell because my sleep was awful for the few weeks before i started taking my medication too. It's probably worth bringing up with the doctor though. Citalopram seems to be working for me - ish; there's definitely been an improvement but nothing miraculous. I did get lots of horrible side effects for the first couple of weeks though - increased anxiety, panic attacks, feeling worse, no appetite, nausea, insomnia, feeling spaced out all the time, headaches, increased sweating. It was nasty at the time but most have disappeared now, other than sweating lots at night - lovely! How have you found fluoxetine?

I just had a quick google about the differences because I was intrigued too. Apparently they're both SSRIs and much of a muchness, but citalopram selectively targets serotonin more whereas fluoxetine is less specific. Citalopram is supposedly mildy sedating whereas fluoxetine is slightly stimulating. They're supposed to do pretty much the same thing, but citalopram is meant to have less side effects. :rolleyes:

I have no idea how true any of that is though in all honesty ^^ it's just what I read! Haha. Oh god - sorry this was such an essay. Hope you're feeling okay today!

ReputationRep:
    Greetings folks, how you all doing today? I'm on a just got out of hospital high. Had a baaaad reaction to my medication. All better now though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    I really sympathise - much of the first year of uni is often very difficult even when you're not contending with personal problems, etc :hugs: You've clearly done the sensible thing and really given yourself the time to think this over. But if by Easter you still feel that it's genuinely the wrong place for you and that you'd be happier elsewhere, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it at all - just leave, enjoy your gap year and start a fresh application What don't you like about your current uni?
    One of my closest friends from undergrad originally went to Exeter for seven months and hated every minute of it. The people were all wrong for her (and quite cliquey) and everything just jarred with her. She told me she felt really bad about herself for dropping out at first, but it turned out to be the best decision she ever made, and she ended up having a fantastic three years instead of dragging herself through a miserable degree at Exeter. In the end you can't always predict which places will work for you, and it's not worth making yourself more unhappy over.

My panic attacks aren't that bad either relatively speaking, though when under major stress I enter this state of elevated panic/anxiety where I just can't sleep or wind down at all and it feels like everything is just balancing on a knife edge.

I'm trying to figure out whether antidepressants actually work or whether the improvements are the result of counselling & the placebo effect... such a controversial issue! Sounds like a nasty bout of side effects, sorry you had to go through that Glad you're feeling a bit better now though! I had an almost identical experience in terms of side effects for the first 2 weeks - I think the worst part was the my anxiety and depression getting so much worse, that was really scary. Stimulating eh? Not noticeably... I spend all day yawning and trying desperately to feel something that even resembles the state of being awake...

Hope you're getting on alright

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to America :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I'm not going to America :cry:
    :console: What happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan122)
    :console: What happened?
    I tried to arrange an interview and the interviewer replied saying...

"Applications for all areas close at the end of this month and as a result I do not have any interview slots remaining I am afraid.

You should also be aware that before I could interview you we would have been required to complete a medical disclosure form which includes exact detail regarding your self-harming and also provide a doctors note. Your application would be judged on the basis of this information and on an individual case basis.

I am telling you this as you look like a strong applicant otherwise and it would be great to see you reapply next year.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance at this time."

So, basically, no America for me this year. Suckage. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I tried to arrange an interview and the interviewer replied saying...

"Applications for all areas close at the end of this month and as a result I do not have any interview slots remaining I am afraid.

You should also be aware that before I could interview you we would have been required to complete a medical disclosure form which includes exact detail regarding your self-harming and also provide a doctors note. Your application would be judged on the basis of this information and on an individual case basis.

I am telling you this as you look like a strong applicant otherwise and it would be great to see you reapply next year.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance at this time."

So, basically, no America for me this year. Suckage. :sad:
    I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if your GP can usually refer you for free cognitive behavioural treatment? I keep hearing that it's one of the most productive modes of therapy for issues like mine. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if your GP can usually refer you for free cognitive behavioural treatment? I keep hearing that it's one of the most productive modes of therapy for issues like mine. Thanks!
    yeah but depending where you are in the country, the waiting list is likely to be several months/over a year.

ReputationRep:
    They can, but the waiting lists can be quite long (6 months or more in some areas).

Edit: What Sabertooth said.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. Hope you are ok.

I'm not too bad minus the fact that I have a stack of work to do in too little time and have been staring at my laptop screen all day .
    Did someone mention C.B.T. I was actually thinking of asking the doc if I could try that out. Has any one had it and benifited from it?

ReputationRep:
    i am so depressed

i just want to be my idea of normal

but i can't

and it's killing me.

i'm literally dying from the inside out--or outside in, either way it's happening. i'm seriously messed and continuing to mess things up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    yeah but depending where you are in the country, the waiting list is likely to be several months/over a year.
    Wow - what do people do in the meantime?! Guess I'd better get to the GP asap... thanks!

ReputationRep:
    ********. Just worked out my bmi and it's gone down to 15.8 again. Hardly surprising, but still... oops.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Thank you, I know you're probably right! I just can't help feeling like a failure for wanting to leave, and I don't want everyone to think I'm a quitter but.. It's hard. There's lots of things I dislike about my current uni if I'm honest - the campus/facilities themselves aren't amazing, and I find it all a bit suffocating. There's definite 'types' of people here (moreso than any other university i've seen/heard of!) and I don't really fit in. The course is okay, probably the best thing about it, but again it's all a bit mediocre and I can't shake the feeling that I could be 'doing better' - as awful as that sounds. I just don't feel in the right frame of mind to be here and I want to go someone where I'll really thrive/be happy, rather than just settling for bumbling along through it. I'm glad your friend had a good experience of changing though - that makes me feel much more positive. My problem is I have no idea where I want to go now! Ahh.

Aw, I'm glad your panic attacks aren't too bad either - but still, no panic attacks are nice! I agree about the antidepressants too, it may just be a placebo effect but in all honesty I'm really not that bothered. It's relieved things for me at least slightly, so that's gotta be a good thing right? Saying that, I've improved more in the last few weeks than I have in the last few years (when I was making lots of effort!) so maybe they really are working. I know what you mean about the increased anxiety/depression - that was horrific! Maybe that's what makes them feel effective, because anything compared to those side effects is bliss. Yeah, apparently.. Although that's only what i read! I'm constantly yawning too though, it's so annoying!

I'm getting on alright thankyouu, I hope you are too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a grumpy ***** mood. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a grumpy ***** mood. :sigh:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really peeved off with my old doctor! I was just joking around with my mum yesterday evening and no idea how but randomly she says to my brother "your brother used to take depression tablets" - i was so shocked cos i've been keeping it secret from my parents and she told me "the doctor told me when I last went there".

I am pretty sure the doctor is not allowed to do this. Doesn't this break patient-doctor confidentiality? I mean WTF? I feel so terrible about it . I didn't really like the old one anyway - this is the same doc who i had to wait over a year for physio but still never got it so moved surgery to get it!

. I hope everyone especially kiss_me_now and Malsy are doing okay today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    I'm really peeved off with my old doctor! I was just joking around with my mum yesterday evening and no idea how but randomly she says to my brother "your brother used to take depression tablets" - i was so shocked cos i've been keeping it secret from my parents and she told me "the doctor told me when I last went there".

I am pretty sure the doctor is not allowed to do this. Doesn't this break patient-doctor confidentiality? I mean WTF? I feel so terrible about it . I didn't really like the old one anyway - this is the same doc who i had to wait over a year for physio but still never got it so moved surgery to get it!

. I hope everyone especially kiss_me_now and Malsy are doing okay today?
    That is definitely not right. What a ****. You could probably report them if you wanted. Did you talk to your mum about it?

I'm feeling quite weird. I got taken into hospital the other day because my antidepressants ****** up my heartrate, now I can't decide whether to keep trying with other antidepressants or just give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    That is definitely not right. What a ****. You could probably report them if you wanted. Did you talk to your mum about it?

I'm feeling quite weird. I got taken into hospital the other day because my antidepressants ****** up my heartrate, now I can't decide whether to keep trying with other antidepressants or just give up.
    noooo superwolf, please give up . I'm really anti drugs and when i got them i only took them for a week before giving up! Anti depressants made me feel too good it made me feel uneasy about possible side effects and for that reason i try to avoid tablets at all costs. Tablets = bad, unless your depression is so bad you are suicidal!:eek:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.