Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depression Society MKIII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin)
    Aw sorry to hear your mood's plummeted too. Perhaps it is hormones? I was thinking that the other day because all of a sudden I'm really spotty which is so unusual for me. Lovely. :rolleyes:

Yeah.. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it. It's not as if I'm sleeping about; it's just one guy but the repetitive nature of it means it's sort of hard not to develop feelings. I don't think we'd ever work as a couple but he's cool and I guess I just want to be respected/liked as a person a tiny bit too, y'know? It's my own fault though!

I know what you mean about work - I do generally enjoy mine too but when you feel like this, it's the LAST thing you want to do. It's really irritating when family think you're just lazing about/could try harder blah blah blah but at the end of the day, I think they just don't understand. If you're anything like me, I don't like wasting my days away with internet/tv but it's a distraction which doesn't require much brain power and so it's helpful and counter-intuitive at the same time. :hugs:

Yeah, I'm not sure yet but he mentioned discussing 'tweaking the dose' if I still wasn't feeling that great. I mean I've improved in some ways, but it's not very consistent and I feel like I'm going downhill again which I was warned might happen. The shaking thing could be anxiety, or it could be a side-effect of the medication? I can imagine how embarrassing it feels, but people probably don't notice as much as you think they do/if it all.

I'm supposed to be going to a party tonight but I haven't done any work, and I don't know many people going/really don't feel like it. I want to stay in my room and hide in bed, but perhaps it's best I force myself out!

ReputationRep:
    im actually quite comfortable here(relations house)

but it's just like....i want to be normal/go out/be who i want
    but i cant
    and it's just mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Thanks. You seem to be answering every one's questions and worries and I know you've helped reassure me. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ilies/hugs.gif

Yeah, I find it quite ironic that it's used to treat panic disorders! It's strange, since starting on this, I range from feeling how I've been feeling for a while to being normal to being really quite happy. The happiness doesn't last long, but I guess it's nice to have some sunshine.

Back in October, the head of sixth form briefly asked if I wanted to take a year out, and come back next September. I must admit, I'm quite tempted right now, but I know I'll feel even worse when my friends are going off to uni and I'm sitting in my room in the dark watching endless day time TV (which has occupied a lot of my time in the past 2 days...).
    I think I'm probably just spending far too much time on the internet rather than working, but I'm really glad if I've been of any help :hugs: When I started having these problems again I felt really isolated because everyone seemed to be coping except me. I think this society is a good thing because it reminds us that we're not the only ones experiencing these kinds of issues and that others understand what we're going through.

I've been experiencing mood swings on the tablets as well, though they are more manageable now than they were at first. In the end you just have to hope that the tablets help to give you more good days than bad days. Apparently they're not meant as a miracle cure but they can sometimes give you the boost you need to be able to function and look after yourself better.

What're you planning on studying at uni? My head of course pushed the idea of taking a year out as well... I *really* wanted to - and a large part of me still does - but I had similar concerns to you really. Sitting around stagnating and feeling frustrated with myself for a year seemed risky. Plus I'd've ended up back at home - not good. I think it's wise to see if you can keep going first - and who knows, in a couple of weeks when the medication and counselling has really started taking effect, you may feel much better The watching-TV-in-the-dark solution has become one of my staples too... I recommend taking a walk or something if you can make yourself though; personally one of the big (if understandable) mistakes I make every winter is isolating myself in the dark when what I need is light and exercise :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    I hate hormones. I'm going back on the pill as the awful mood swings, etc have been an increasingly annoying problem since coming off it.

That's completely understandable. When you're feeling low and maybe a bit isolated at uni it's only natural to reach out to someone for some form of comfort, even if it's not emotional comfort. It's not "your fault" :hugs: . We should probably stop blaming ourselves for everything... I've never been a fan of self-help books (largely because my mum is very scornful about them) but I'm worried about my negative thinking pattern so I've just ordered this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-D...6004561&sr=8-1 which is apparently based on CBT and is highly recommended by medical/psych experts. Might be worth a try!

Thanks, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who ends up guilt-procrastinating... It makes me feel so bad about myself, but sometimes I just fall into that cycle

I'm really sorry you've been feeling worse, but it's good that you and your GP are communicating well about the medication progress etc Maybe it will even out more as time goes on - you've been on it just over 4 weeks as well right? I wonder if the tremor thing had to do with mixing caffeine and fluoxetine cos I have it again now after drinking tea...

Well done for contemplating going out, I've been really bad this week and made excuses about all pub nights etc :o: I think you should definitely give it a go and tell yourself that if you feel too bad after a while you can always make an excuse and slip away. Hope it goes well!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm probably just spending far too much time on the internet rather than working, but I'm really glad if I've been of any help :hugs: When I started having these problems again I felt really isolated because everyone seemed to be coping except me. I think this society is a good thing because it reminds us that we're not the only ones experiencing these kinds of issues and that others understand what we're going through.

I've been experiencing mood swings on the tablets as well, though they are more manageable now than they were at first. In the end you just have to hope that the tablets help to give you more good days than bad days. Apparently they're not meant as a miracle cure but they can sometimes give you the boost you need to be able to function and look after yourself better.

What're you planning on studying at uni? My head of course pushed the idea of taking a year out as well... I *really* wanted to - and a large part of me still does - but I had similar concerns to you really. Sitting around stagnating and feeling frustrated with myself for a year seemed risky. Plus I'd've ended up back at home - not good. I think it's wise to see if you can keep going first - and who knows, in a couple of weeks when the medication and counselling has really started taking effect, you may feel much better The watching-TV-in-the-dark solution has become one of my staples too... I recommend taking a walk or something if you can make yourself though; personally one of the big (if understandable) mistakes I make every winter is isolating myself in the dark when what I need is light and exercise :o:
    There's no point in working if you're not up to it though, plus I'm sure you don't spend as much time online as I do!

The mood swings are ridiculous. I am super happy right now, as in a level of happiness I haven't felt in years... At least I finally took a shower, got dressed and am about to clean my room and do some homework, but it's just a bit worrying, if these pills can cause this level of mood swings, what about the lows?

Yeah, this thread is brilliant. This and having a chat with someone in school who had really bad depression have really helped me recently, at least people are trying to convince me to take the pills!

I've applied for Ancient History, and depsite screwing up my AS levels and taking History (kinda important haha) in a year, I've managed to get some offers which really boosted me for a while, but I know the other 2 will reject me, which I'm okay with, as long as they reject me when I'm feeling better :dry:

I must admit, I am enjoying watching Loose Women and Veronica Mars in my PJs more than I've enjoyed anything for a while...

Ah, I've written an essay. Why am I so hyper?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you feel that way :console: I've noticed that a lot of people suffering from low self-esteem and/or depression are very compassionate and care a lot about others' well-being. You're clearly one of these caring people, judging by your concern for the hypothetical reactions of your family, etc (and just from your general comments). My supervisor (who knows I'm depressed) commented that getting better is partly about stopping yourself from applying a double standard, and starting to give yourself the same treatment and care that you would to somebody else you cared about.

Today was just a bit difficult. My hormones are all over the place and my anxiety's been really bad, plus I was crying all over the counsellor... and I can't be around people right now. I just feel really pathetic still having these problems when I've just turned 22

It's awful when people just don't understand what you're going through, especially when it's close family or friends. Sadly if people haven't been through it themselves - not that I'd ever wish it on them - they usually just can't comprehend it. I hate the "man up/grow up" attitude because I feel like I should be able to, and I keep trying - but sometimes you just can't snap out of it and you need some support.

I know exactly what you mean about the doctor. Unfortunately the very times when you most need people and some medical support are often the same times that you don't feel capable of pursuing it I know it's really hard but I think you should try to go see a doctor or counsellor if you can, just because you shouldn't have to go through this without help - do you have a friend or family member who could go to the surgery with you as support? I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad as you think :hugs:
    Yeah I've never really been a confident person but I've always been able to just get on with life, its only recently that I just feel so anxious being out in public places, more so by my self. I've had a bit of counselling but I didn't really address my anxiety.
    What you're supervisor told you seems to make sense I do have a friend who I'm close to who knows about my problems ( not sure she understands the extent)...maybe I could get her to come with me if things don't improve next week.
    Today was ok for me, obviously still anxious and but not to the point of walking into a busy road lol.
    Thanks for the encouragement. How are things for you? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    HOW GOES IT IN HERE FOLKS

not been here in a hell of a long time, although that's pretty much solely due to the fact that coursework is keeping me so insanely busy (9-5; 7 days a week. this is ridiculous) that i have no time to devote my mind to anything beyond a) said coursework and b) getting drunk. cue a mental breakdown when this project's been handed in.

big hugs to all who need it.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone ever drank alcohol while on medication, what happens???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    No, but I wouldn't recommend it, my dad did it once and he was throwing up for ages :no:

ReputationRep:
    I just got drunk easier, nothing else as far as I remember.

ReputationRep:
    I woke up thinking today was going to be an okay day. Despite yet again waking up at 4am and taking ages to fall back asleep and having really vivid dreams, I thought I felt okay. I was so wrong. I'm supposed to be in work, but the side effects + how I feel meant I had to call in sick... I feel like such a slacker.

The shaking and dry mouth are back and I'm on the verge of tears again... Why can't I just feel normal for once? I'm worried I'm going to fail my exams and that'll just make everything even worse when I have to go back to sixth form for a third year. I just really needed to vent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Yeah I've never really been a confident person but I've always been able to just get on with life, its only recently that I just feel so anxious being out in public places, more so by my self. I've had a bit of counselling but I didn't really address my anxiety.
    What you're supervisor told you seems to make sense I do have a friend who I'm close to who knows about my problems ( not sure she understands the extent)...maybe I could get her to come with me if things don't improve next week.
    Today was ok for me, obviously still anxious and but not to the point of walking into a busy road lol.
    Thanks for the encouragement. How are things for you? http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ilies/hugs.gif
    Glad you had a better day!

I think with counselling so much depends on getting the right person and the right method of treatment. I've signed up for cognitive behavioural treatment, which is meant to be really effective for problems with anxiety and depression - have you tried that?

Yeah my lecturer is very understanding of what I'm going through, to the point that suggests she's been through similar problems (though I can't imagine it). It's good that you have someone you can talk to about things and turn to if you need a bit of support, even if they don't fully understand what's going on. Hope you feel alright today :hugs: I'm alright thanks, bought a self-help book despite my mum's ridicule so am hoping that helps. Look set to miss my 2nd extension deadline though

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you're on, but I found with ssris, like death drop, I got very drunk very quick.

But the ones I'm on now don't have any effects when mixed with alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    Glad you had a better day!

I think with counselling so much depends on getting the right person and the right method of treatment. I've signed up for cognitive behavioural treatment, which is meant to be really effective for problems with anxiety and depression - have you tried that?

Yeah my lecturer is very understanding of what I'm going through, to the point that suggests she's been through similar problems (though I can't imagine it). It's good that you have someone you can talk to about things and turn to if you need a bit of support, even if they don't fully understand what's going on. Hope you feel alright today :hugs: I'm alright thanks, bought a self-help book despite my mum's ridicule so am hoping that helps. Look set to miss my 2nd extension deadline though
    Yeah today has been pretty good so far thanks confidence is up a bit too. I was thinking of looking into CBT, I think it would be worth giving it a go, I hope it helps you, let me know how it goes.
    Ah I have a few deadlines of my own to mea Fingers crossed you make it, just take things one step at a time, break it up into sections so that it doesn't seem like one big mountain to climb, thats what I do. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I woke up thinking today was going to be an okay day. Despite yet again waking up at 4am and taking ages to fall back asleep and having really vivid dreams, I thought I felt okay. I was so wrong. I'm supposed to be in work, but the side effects + how I feel meant I had to call in sick... I feel like such a slacker.

The shaking and dry mouth are back and I'm on the verge of tears again... Why can't I just feel normal for once? I'm worried I'm going to fail my exams and that'll just make everything even worse when I have to go back to sixth form for a third year. I just really needed to vent.
    You're not a slacker :hugs: You're just not feeling well at the moment, which isn't your fault. The best way to get back into a position where you feel capable of the work is to give yourself a break and reduce life to manageable sized tasks for the time being. Don't beat yourself up if you don't feel able to do things you normally do right now - that's a mistake I've always made and gets you nowhere as the simple fact is that you're not feeling yourself. I know it might feel hard to believe at the moment, but having reached out for the support you need, you *will* get better and go back to feeling "normal" (plus many of the abnormal feelings are temporary side effects, don't lose sight of that). You said you've got some offers for Ancient History (I'm guessing your general academic profile must be pretty impressive considering you're getting offers without even having taken history!) so there's no reason to assume you'll have to spend another year at college - but if you do decide that would make things easier for you, there is no shame in it. Just don't make any big decisions while you're feeling this way and experiencing side effects from the antidepressants! Hope you feel better soon :console:

ReputationRep:

:hugs: have you been to see your doctor about the side effects and dry mouth etc ( shaking is horrible, I get a lot of that from time to time ).
    Sixth form was probably the most stressful/depressing 2 years of my life, its a lot harder than people think, just try and take each day as it comes, don't bombard yourself with heavy work loads, split your day up into work and play. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    HOW GOES IT IN HERE FOLKS

not been here in a hell of a long time, although that's pretty much solely due to the fact that coursework is keeping me so insanely busy (9-5; 7 days a week. this is ridiculous) that i have no time to devote my mind to anything beyond a) said coursework and b) getting drunk. cue a mental breakdown when this project's been handed in.

big hugs to all who need it.
    :hugs: Hey kid

ReputationRep:
    Been off the antidepressants for over a week now and my concentration's still terrible. So it's probably me not the pills... Damn.

ReputationRep:
    You're not a slacker :hugs: You're just not feeling well at the moment, which isn't your fault. The best way to get back into a position where you feel capable of the work is to give yourself a break and reduce life to manageable sized tasks for the time being. Don't beat yourself up if you don't feel able to do things you normally do right now - that's a mistake I've always made and gets you nowhere as the simple fact is that you're not feeling yourself. I know it might feel hard to believe at the moment, but having reached out for the support you need, you *will* get better and go back to feeling "normal" (plus many of the abnormal feelings are temporary side effects, don't lose sight of that). You said you've got some offers for Ancient History (I'm guessing your general academic profile must be pretty impressive considering you're getting offers without even having taken history!) so there's no reason to assume you'll have to spend another year at college - but if you do decide that would make things easier for you, there is no shame in it. Just don't make any big decisions while you're feeling this way and experiencing side effects from the antidepressants! Hope you feel better soon :console:
    Thanks.

I guess I've always hated 'wasting' my time (not doing work), so the fact that I've spent all day in the dark watching telly shopping makes me feel really lazy, but I can't seem to do anything else. I'm so tired, but I can't sleep.

No, I got ACCC at AS, dropped two of the Cs to pick up History. I have no idea why I have offers to be honest, but I guess I'm glad I have another chance at it.

Yeah, it's really tough to not email my head of sixth form and ask to take a year out right now, but I'll just try to get to a place where I actually feel okay about going into school...

(Original post by RachelOranges)
    :hugs: have you been to see your doctor about the side effects and dry mouth etc ( shaking is horrible, I get a lot of that from time to time ).
    Sixth form was probably the most stressful/depressing 2 years of my life, its a lot harder than people think, just try and take each day as it comes, don't bombard yourself with heavy work loads, split your day up into work and play. :yes:
    Thanks. No, I haven't been to my GP because it's only been 5 days so far. It's just annoying because they come and go, so I can feel okay one minute and then the next they all come back.

I'd try not to bombard myself with heavy workloads, but I'm taking History in a year, so I have a fair bit of work from that. I never seem to have a day off from History work, much as I love it it can be stressful sometimes I guess. That, and the fact that I can't get above a B in my coursework is really getting me down because I want to get a good grade because I have no idea how the exams will go. So yeah, whether I like it or not, the History workload is never going to stop. Although I could do a lot more work than I currently am. Okay, my target for today is to tidy my room and sort out my textbooks etc, so that I can actually study this week.

-

Just a quick question to anyone on citalopram: does it give you really vivid, life-like dreams? They seem to get more and more so each night!

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. Collapsed at school this week DUE TO LACK OF FOOD/EXHAUSTION, and my school interpreted it as an overdose, and now I have another 'suicide attempt' down on my records, despite the fact that paramedics didn't find trace of pill intake.

I'm going through one of those days where everything seems pointless.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.