Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'm having one of them days too, I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee. I don't know if this will help but before people have always recommended to me to write down good/positive stuff when I'm feeling ok and then when you have one of them days when everything seems awful you can look over it and remind yourself. And because you wrote the list, you know it's not just lies to make you feel better.

I don't see a gp, I just switched psychiatrists and haven't seen the new one yet. The problem is I've tried so many different medications and this is pretty much the first to have any decent effect.
    Sorry to hear you're having a rough day as well :console: I'm finding caffeine makes me too jittery right now. Thanks for the advice! Actually I had a more upbeat day yesterday and tried doing exactly that (it said to in my CBT self-help book) - really believed what I wrote at the time but today I read them and they don't seem to mean anything to me

That really sucks about the medication :hugs: How come you switched psychiatrists? If the previous tablets were all useless I can see how that must make it harder to weigh the benefits against the positives of this one. I'd still have a serious chat about it once you see the new psychiatrist though, and make sure they listen to you properly about it.

Still only having the odd short burst of working/concentrating ability so about to miss my five week extension deadline (Friday) despite having chosen that date myself... Going to have to talk to the head of course on Wed but god knows what I say this time at some point they're going to have to just chuck me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin)
    Sorry to hear you're having a rough day as well :console: I'm finding caffeine makes me too jittery right now. Thanks for the advice! Actually I had a more upbeat day yesterday and tried doing exactly that (it said to in my CBT self-help book) - really believed what I wrote at the time but today I read them and they don't seem to mean anything to me

That really sucks about the medication :hugs: How come you switched psychiatrists? If the previous tablets were all useless I can see how that must make it harder to weigh the benefits against the positives of this one. I'd still have a serious chat about it once you see the new psychiatrist though, and make sure they listen to you properly about it.

Still only having the odd short burst of working/concentrating ability so about to miss my five week extension deadline (Friday) despite having chosen that date myself... Going to have to talk to the head of course on Wed but god knows what I say this time at some point they're going to have to just chuck me out.
    I'm pretty sure a university can't kick you out if you have a diagnosed illness, they can make you take a year out possibly but they have to try everything else first. It isn't easy for them due to disability laws etc. Have you spoken to your university's disability people? They can usually help out in some way, either by meeting with you and, I dunno if this will help, but like show you various different study skills you might not have tried before, or they can liaise with your department and let them know what's going on etc so some of the pressure is taken off you. Just tell the head of course the truth. Didn't you say you relatively recently started antidepressants? Perhaps tell your head of course and that hopefully once they fully kick in you'll be in a better position to do all set work.

My other psychiatrist was quite far away so I just changed to one closer, and yeah when I finally see him I'll have a chat, but all he'll say is you can be fat but not terrified all the time or you can lose the weight but never leave your room. Great choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure a university can't kick you out if you have a diagnosed illness, they can make you take a year out possibly but they have to try everything else first. It isn't easy for them due to disability laws etc. Have you spoken to your university's disability people? They can usually help out in some way, either by meeting with you and, I dunno if this will help, but like show you various different study skills you might not have tried before, or they can liaise with your department and let them know what's going on etc so some of the pressure is taken off you. Just tell the head of course the truth. Didn't you say you relatively recently started antidepressants? Perhaps tell your head of course and that hopefully once they fully kick in you'll be in a better position to do all set work.
    My other psychiatrist was quite far away so I just changed to one closer, and yeah when I finally see him I'll have a chat, but all he'll say is you can be fat but not terrified all the time or you can lose the weight but never leave your room. Great choice.
    Mwahaha, they're stuck with me I hate feeling like a useless burden on them though, and I'm worried in case this is scuppering my chances of ever being accepted onto a PhD... Plus, although they've been very supportive so far, they're bound to run out of patience and they could just stop giving me extensions so I'd get a zero for non-submission, in which case I would drop out anyway
    hmm I haven't actually. I've met with the counselling service but I've never acknowledged having a disability - I suppose partly because of stigma but mainly because I've never felt I have the right to call myself disabled just because of perfectionism and negative thoughts, etc :o: I will find out about the disability services though - thank you for the suggestion The head of course was actually the one who encouraged me to take the antidepressants and seek help (though I definitely got the impression he would've preferred me to take a year out). But I've already had a five week extension, and 2 weeks ago on one of my optimistic days (ah the mood swings) told him that I was feeling alright now and could get it done by this Friday...

Ah ok. awh, yeah I can see the dilemma. Is the weight gain significant? There must surely be a kind of SSRI that doesn't make you gain weight? Also I'm sure there's non-SSRI medication for anxiety etc. I think they should take it seriously and think about whether there's medication you haven't tried yet that could fulfil both requirements, cos anything that makes you feel bad about yourself is obviously not going to help with depression. I'm sure there's something out there that will work for you, you just haven't found it yet :hugs: I hope the new psychiatrist is useful and helps you to find the right tablets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin)
    Mwahaha, they're stuck with me I hate feeling like a useless burden on them though, and I'm worried in case this is scuppering my chances of ever being accepted onto a PhD... Plus, although they've been very supportive so far, they're bound to run out of patience and they could just stop giving me extensions so I'd get a zero for non-submission, in which case I would drop out anyway
    hmm I haven't actually. I've met with the counselling service but I've never acknowledged having a disability - I suppose partly because of stigma but mainly because I've never felt I have the right to call myself disabled just because of perfectionism and negative thoughts, etc :o: I will find out about the disability services though - thank you for the suggestion The head of course was actually the one who encouraged me to take the antidepressants and seek help (though I definitely got the impression he would've preferred me to take a year out). But I've already had a five week extension, and 2 weeks ago on one of my optimistic days (ah the mood swings) told him that I was feeling alright now and could get it done by this Friday...

Ah ok. awh, yeah I can see the dilemma. Is the weight gain significant? There must surely be a kind of SSRI that doesn't make you gain weight? Also I'm sure there's non-SSRI medication for anxiety etc. I think they should take it seriously and think about whether there's medication you haven't tried yet that could fulfil both requirements, cos anything that makes you feel bad about yourself is obviously not going to help with depression. I'm sure there's something out there that will work for you, you just haven't found it yet :hugs: I hope the new psychiatrist is useful and helps you to find the right tablets.
    By law, they have to make "reasonable adjustments", so it doesn't really matter how fed up they get :p: Same with going for a PhD, they can't discriminate against you. Regarding missing the deadline, I'm sure at the time you felt you could do it, and you didn't expect to feel like this so it's not really something you could have predicted. It's not like you intentionally lied to him or anything.

Yeah, the weight gain is very significant - 3 stone :eek: and none of my jeans fit anymore. Only thing is, quetiapine isn't an anti-depressant it's for other stuff, for depression I take mirtazapine, as I tried most the ssris and they either gave awful side effects (fluoxetine) or did **** all (all the others). Thanks for the hugs - I hope so too! :p:

(Original post by 35mm_)
    Ah, okay, thanks. Going to try and ween my psych away from the idea.

I hate how every single one I get always pushes me towards meds, instead of offering me counselling, which is what I really need.
    Yeah that's pretty much what psychiatrists do, if you want counselling or CBT they'd have to refer you to someone else. You should tell them.

I just remembered, I took quetiapine about 2 years ago, on a much lower dose, and, whilst it did nothing, I'm fairly sure I didn't have any significant weight gain either. So you might be alright as long as you're on a lowish dose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    What condition do you have? Sorry if you've said it various times before but I haven't been around for long. :hugs:
    Bipolar, while being on sertraline and aripiprazole. The condition is horrible, the meds are horrible. I hate it all.

ReputationRep:
    By law, they have to make "reasonable adjustments", so it doesn't really matter how fed up they get http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/p.gif Same with going for a PhD, they can't discriminate against you. Regarding missing the deadline, I'm sure at the time you felt you could do it, and you didn't expect to feel like this so it's not really something you could have predicted. It's not like you intentionally lied to him or anything.
    Yeah, the weight gain is very significant - 3 stone http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/eek.gif and none of my jeans fit anymore. Only thing is, quetiapine isn't an anti-depressant it's for other stuff, for depression I take mirtazapine, as I tried most the ssris and they either gave awful side effects (fluoxetine) or did **** all (all the others). Thanks for the hugs - I hope so too! http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/p.gif
    Thanks, this made me feel a bit better. I guess I'm just always so anxious for tutors to think well of me and when I can't perform academically I feel like I'm letting them down in some way... I'm putting it down to the unresolved issues with my mother! That's true, I thought my concentration was back for good at the time. Actually I do get short spurts where I can work, but the exhausted phases last longer... Is it normal to have these weird alternations between energy and total lethargy on the antidepressants?

Ah I see. 3 stone, that doesn't seem fair! I'm guessing it's the kind of weight gain where exercise etc doesn't seem to make a difference? My dad takes a wide range of antipsychotic tablets (he's bipolar), and he has found in the past that some of them make him gain a lot of weight and hugely increase his appetite. He isn't particularly bothered by the weight gain so is willing to put up with that as a side effect - but he's been on other medication that didn't cause weight gain I think (he had to come off it as he personally reacted to it badly in other ways). Medication for mental health still seems to be so "trial and error", with it just being luck of the draw as to how long it takes to find the right one for you... It sucks that you've had to put up with all of this as a result, but you must demand that they keep trying and I'm sure they'll get it right, I hope sooner rather than later. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Bipolar, while being on sertraline and aripiprazole. The condition is horrible, the meds are horrible. I hate it all.
    I'm sorry you're feeling bad about it all. My dad's bipolar, it's certainly not an easy thing to deal with. What're you struggling with at the moment, and are you trying the whole counselling malarkey? I don't know whether it's any consolation (praps not) but my dad went through great difficulties with mania and depressive comas that he felt unable to control, but eventually found a psychiatrist he really clicked with who helped him to overcome the fears that triggered his mania and to find the right medication to help him control the condition. Now he's gone a long time without an episode and copes so much better with stress. I hope things get better for you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    dont do a phd guys; quit uni and come travelling with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    What's up Nothos?

Out of interest, has anybody ever taken quetiapine? I know it's originally an anti-psychotic, but my psych is thinking of prescribing it to me for self harm and insomnia purposes. I've done a bit of research and it's not something I really like the look of.
    I very definitely would not take it. I was on quetiapine for a week, felt like absolute death, could barely even walk and ended up in hospital with a heartrate of 160. Bit of an extreme reaction and I'd also started venlafaxine at the same time, but still... that **** is nasty.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here that I know?:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)
    Anyone here that I know?:hugs:
    :jumphug: Hi, what's up?

ReputationRep:
    :mad: My ******* dad. He had all week to talk to me, but instead he waits til the morning I'm leaving, comes in and wakes me up, and then expects me to straight off have a long and serious conversation about my depression. Last time he kept going on about lightboxes, this time it was getting up early in the morning. He managed to insinuate that all my problems might solely be caused by staying in bed too long. Then he just started getting pissed off at me... it's really ******* hard to cry and eat a bacon sandwich simultaneously. Grr.

Oh my god i feel like crap today! i have one hell of a cold possibly verging on flu, why on earth does it have to happen during the hols lol

i am sat here in bed still, leving the kids to do thier things :eek3: , trying to get on with my really boring sociology essay bummer!!!

i had my check up last wek with my docotor and told him i don think i am ready to come off the pills yet and i think i may need to be on them while in my first year of uni at least!
    I also spoke to student support the other day at college and told her of my problems with work and classses and she told me to apply to the disability student allowance as she thinks i have got a good reason for claiming for help.

I hope the rest of you are having a better day than i am xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis Black)
    Oh my god i feel like crap today! i have one hell of a cold possibly verging on flu, why on earth does it have to happen during the hols lol

i am sat here in bed still, leving the kids to do thier things :eek3: , trying to get on with my really boring sociology essay bummer!!!

i had my check up last wek with my docotor and told him i don think i am ready to come off the pills yet and i think i may need to be on them while in my first year of uni at least!
    I also spoke to student support the other day at college and told her of my problems with work and classses and she told me to apply to the disability student allowance as she thinks i have got a good reason for claiming for help.

I hope the rest of you are having a better day than i am xxxxx
    DSA is pretty helpful, you might as well apply. I still haven't got round to calling the people about the stuff they allocated me but it doesn't really make a difference - the most helpful thing is undoubatablly the note-taker I have in lectures. So even if I'm feeling total **** and can't follow it I still have the notes. Are you in A2 year? If so apply soon and it might get sorted by the beginning of term. If you've got any questions about it I'll try to help

I know what you mean, I always used to get ill during school holidays, it takes the piss :p:

(Original post by superwolf)
    :mad: My ******* dad. He had all week to talk to me, but instead he waits til the morning I'm leaving, comes in and wakes me up, and then expects me to straight off have a long and serious conversation about my depression. Last time he kept going on about lightboxes, this time it was getting up early in the morning. He managed to insinuate that all my problems might solely be caused by staying in bed too long. Then he just started getting pissed off at me... it's really ******* hard to cry and eat a bacon sandwich simultaneously. Grr.
    wtf? why would anyone think that is a good idea?

Tbh I'd just ignore him, my mum is forever telling me that getting up early and putting nice clothes on will magic away all mental health problems. I think they probably mean well but just don't understand at all. I guess if you've never been depressed it can be virtually impossible to know what it can feel like.

:coma: bacon sandwich.

DSA is pretty helpful, you might as well apply. I still haven't got round to calling the people about the stuff they allocated me but it doesn't really make a difference - the most helpful thing is undoubatablly the note-taker I have in lectures. So even if I'm feeling total **** and can't follow it I still have the notes. Are you in A2 year? If so apply soon and it might get sorted by the beginning of term. If you've got any questions about it I'll try to help

I know what you mean, I always used to get ill during school holidays, it takes the piss :p:

no i am too old for A2! lol i am on the access course at college right now, i was offered a notetaker ut feel too self concious about that i am on the waiting list for a dictaphone, the application is redy fro when i go to uni in october as i am bricking it with owrry over my depresiion having an unwanted affect on something i really want to do! it is having an effect at the mo but i am just about in control over it and dont need to spend tons of hours studying but at uni you need to do tons of hours of study and stuff so i know i will need some sort of help af at least a dicataphone but we shall see if i dont get help then i will jsut get one myself and jsut have to expain ech time there is a lecture why i need it where as with getting DLA you dont have to explain it as it is automatic that you need it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis Black)
    no i am too old for A2! lol i am on the access course at college right now, i was offered a notetaker ut feel too self concious about that i am on the waiting list for a dictaphone, the application is redy fro when i go to uni in october as i am bricking it with owrry over my depresiion having an unwanted affect on something i really want to do! it is having an effect at the mo but i am just about in control over it and dont need to spend tons of hours studying but at uni you need to do tons of hours of study and stuff so i know i will need some sort of help af at least a dicataphone but we shall see if i dont get help then i will jsut get one myself and jsut have to expain ech time there is a lecture why i need it where as with getting DLA you dont have to explain it as it is automatic that you need it!
    Oh ok.

Well, you don't have to actually tell anyone you have a note-taker, you can choose if you want to sit by them or with your friends or whatever. It's all very discreet. Yeah I had a dictaphone last year which had its uses, though even if it's with DSA you're still meant to ask permission from the lecturer because a few of them are a bit funny about it (I never bothered I just hid it strategically behind a pencil case :p: ).

I wouldn't worry about "tons of hours studying"...ok it's a step up from A2 but tbh in first year not many people do all that much work, they don't just throw you right in the work is relatively ok in first year, second year it's a lot more and 3rd year, from what I've heard, it's then that you really have a hell of a lot. Of course it does depend on the subject you're doing, but that's my experience - and I've done 1st year 2 and a half times :p: So try not to stress yourself out worrying about it, just do your best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/mad.gif My ******* dad. He had all week to talk to me, but instead he waits til the morning I'm leaving, comes in and wakes me up, and then expects me to straight off have a long and serious conversation about my depression. Last time he kept going on about lightboxes, this time it was getting up early in the morning. He managed to insinuate that all my problems might solely be caused by staying in bed too long. Then he just started getting pissed off at me... it's really ******* hard to cry and eat a bacon sandwich simultaneously. Grr.
    That's very annoying. Parents can be a real pain in the arse, honestly. I expect he means well but just doesn't really understand. A lot of people seem to confuse the causes and symptoms of depression. I mean sure lying in bed late isn't going to help someone feel better, but there's usually a reason that people are doing that in the first place. I don't see how parents think nagging and getting angry is going to help someone feel less depressed though Personally I wish to god my mum would not call me, ever. 2 minutes talking to her and I feel like I'm a joke and will never get anywhere. I think you have to try to teach yourself to block out what parents are saying when it's negative... Certainly what I'm trying to learn to do. Hope you managed to get at least some pleasure from your bacon sandwich and are feeling better

ReputationRep:
    I feel like a zombie this morning. Does anyone else feel like that? The feeling where you don't do anything but want to but you just can't get yourself to do any work, go out of the house or anything. I am just sitting in front of my laptop and wasting the hours away checking to see if i've been quoted here, checking facebook and e-mails, hoping someone will talk to me on msn, reading the news website constantly. I hate holidays so much. They bring back my depression I think. I wish I had friends to hang out with :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    I feel like a zombie this morning. Does anyone else feel like that? The feeling where you don't do anything but want to but you just can't get yourself to do any work, go out of the house or anything. I am just sitting in front of my laptop and wasting the hours away checking to see if i've been quoted here, checking facebook and e-mails, hoping someone will talk to me on msn, reading the news website constantly. I hate holidays so much. They bring back my depression I think. I wish I had friends to hang out with :cry:
    Awww, I do that as well - in fact, I'm doing it right now! So you're not alone :console:
    Still, going to Nottingham tomorrow, really hope my mum doesn't embarass me in front of the lecturers :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    I feel like a zombie this morning. Does anyone else feel like that? The feeling where you don't do anything but want to but you just can't get yourself to do any work, go out of the house or anything. I am just sitting in front of my laptop and wasting the hours away checking to see if i've been quoted here, checking facebook and e-mails, hoping someone will talk to me on msn, reading the news website constantly. I hate holidays so much. They bring back my depression I think. I wish I had friends to hang out with http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/cry.gif
    :hugs: I'm having a non-zombie day for once (probably cos the sun is shining, which NEVER happens here) but I definitely feel that way a lot of the time... I'm about to go on a walk, maybe you could try that? Sometimes if you put some loud music on the ipod and go on a vigorous walk somewhere nice it can lift your mood more than you expect. I know what you mean about holidays... Sorry you're feeling lonely :console: are there are any local groups you can join to meet people? I have people to hang out with here but they're not close friends and I almost resent having to spend time with them at the moment I just feel like being alone. I'm invited for pancakes at my friend's tonight but I don't want to... makes me feel a bit ungrateful really so I am going to go anyway

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.