Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    I read about a banker who killed himself in the metro this morning. It made me uneasy and my heart beat faster; is that normal?
    I imagine it is normal to feel bad when another person dies, particularly if they died by suicide because that means the person felt they would be 'happier' with no life than to still be alive.

Did you quote me and say that because you thought that person was me or something?

ReputationRep:
    I want to cut so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I want to cut so bad.
    :hugs: please don't, what's up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    Woh, kent must be really bad with pastoral care and a crap place to be! Rachell is there and she hates it as is my sister! :eek:
    It was... odd. Loved the uni, the campus, hated everything else! To give them their dues when I was majorly suicidal I went to the campus nurse at 3 in the morning and stayed there to stop myself from doing anything; she was great and if it hadn't been the week before christmas I could've had immediate counselling (as it was, I got a phone call asking if I wanted to come down to the docs and see them about two days before I was due to go home - I lied and said I was going home later that day :o:)

However I looked into the actual counselling thing long before that, and they only do three or four sessions per person, even if you're utterly wrecked, and they have a three month waiting list :confused: so I decided against it.

ETA - Rachel is at Medway, which is about 30 miles from the Canterbury campus I was on

Saber :hugs: Stay strong, you can do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    It was... odd. Loved the uni, the campus, hated everything else! To give them their dues when I was majorly suicidal I went to the campus nurse at 3 in the morning and stayed there to stop myself from doing anything; she was great and if it hadn't been the week before christmas I could've had immediate counselling (as it was, I got a phone call asking if I wanted to come down to the docs and see them about two days before I was due to go home - I lied and said I was going home later that day :o:)

However I looked into the actual counselling thing long before that, and they only do three or four sessions per person, even if you're utterly wrecked, and they have a three month waiting list :confused: so I decided against it.

ETA - Rachel is at Medway, which is about 30 miles from the Canterbury campus I was on

Saber :hugs: Stay strong, you can do this.
    Lol yeah I'm at Medway or rather Deadyway as we like to call it. I think the Uni is good and people on my course are nice but the area is just so....:cry: everyone hates it there is nothing to do and no where to go. The prospectus told us bare faced lies. Is Canterbury any better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Lol yeah I'm at Medway or rather Deadyway as we like to call it. I think the Uni is good and people on my course are nice but the area is just so....:cry: everyone hates it there is nothing to do and no where to go. The prospectus told us bare faced lies. Is Canterbury any better?
    I want to live in Canterbury some day... Just my kind of place. Small enough to feel cosy but big enough to have the essentials! No bowling alley though, you have to go to Margate for that :erm: And beautiful buildings/countryside :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone on this thread is so helpful, you've always got something nice to say. If only the rest of TSR (well, actually just H&R) were like that!

I'm having an okay day for once today, but apparently coffee was a bad idea! I've been having loads of those weird movements and I normally only get them in the evening... Whoops :p: I also managed to make myself look presentable and leave the house to go to the bank... Sounds stupid, but I'm quite happy with that! Oh, and I managed to read an entire chapter of a book without getting distracted/losing my concentration. I know I'll probably feel like crap this evening most likely, but it's an improvement (or possibly a lovely mood swing, I don't care right now).

How is everyone? Anyone else as fed up of snow as I currently am?

EDIT: I sound like some weird child haha. Whatever, I'm pleased with myself for being able to read part of a book and get up a stupid, ungodly hour this morning.

ReputationRep:
    You've still got snow? Apparently we're due for some more tonight, it it closes college then I'm all up for it - if not, meh.

Hugs for everyone who might need them today :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsybean)
    You've still got snow? Apparently we're due for some more tonight, it it closes college then I'm all up for it - if not, meh.

Hugs for everyone who might need them today :hugs:
    It started today, but I've had enough for this year! It's all cold and wet and... Cold. My Mum just made me stand outside in it without a coat for a family picture! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I only want it if sixth form is closed, if not it can go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Everyone on this thread is so helpful, you've always got something nice to say. If only the rest of TSR (well, actually just H&R) were like that!

I'm having an okay day for once today, but apparently coffee was a bad idea! I've been having loads of those weird movements and I normally only get them in the evening... Whoops :p: I also managed to make myself look presentable and leave the house to go to the bank... Sounds stupid, but I'm quite happy with that! Oh, and I managed to read an entire chapter of a book without getting distracted/losing my concentration. I know I'll probably feel like crap this evening most likely, but it's an improvement (or possibly a lovely mood swing, I don't care right now).

How is everyone? Anyone else as fed up of snow as I currently am?

EDIT: I sound like some weird child haha. Whatever, I'm pleased with myself for being able to read part of a book and get up a stupid, ungodly hour this morning.
    Hey, glad to hear you are having a good day today !
    Ahh coffee is one of my biggest enemies, messes me up ( as well as alcohol).
    Its the small improvements which count as they accumulate together to make one great big improvement so you should be proud of what you have achieved today! I, on the other hand am really struggling to remain focused on my coursework, I just can't seem to get stuck into it, this is my only free day too so I really should be using it to the best of my advantage but I just can't remain focused. Other than that I'm pretty good thanks.

You STILL have snow your way? Poor you! I hate the stuff it just makes me miserable when I have to go out and travel in it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, glad to hear you are having a good day today !
    Ahh coffee is one of my biggest enemies, messes me up ( as well s alcohol).
    Its the small improvements which count as they accumulate together to make one great big improvement so you should be proud of what you have achieved today! I, on the other hand am really struggling to remain focused on my coursework, I just can't seem to get stuck into it, this is my only free day too so I really should be using it to the best of my advantage but I just can't remain focused. Other than that I'm pretty good thanks.

You STILL have snow your way? Poor you! I hate the stuff it just makes me miserable when I have to go out and travel in it.
    Oh, I can't concentrate anymore. I'm trying very hard to see a point in the future and just about managing it... I'm a while off being totally happy. Okay, when I posted early I was definitely having one of those stupid mood swings haha, I feel normal now, which is better than how I could be feeling.

I am not touching alcohol any time soon! Mind you, on my 18th a few weeks ago I only had one drink, I'm not a fan of it anyway. I don't like the taste or the effects and it only makes me feel happy for all of a minute.

It might be your only free day, but there's a lot left of the day! Good luck with your coursework. :yep:

It started today. I used to love snow, but I guess along with everything else, I don't see the fun anymore. That, and I spend too much of my time feeling cold!

ReputationRep:
    depressed, ill and feeling it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I can't concentrate anymore. I'm trying very hard to see a point in the future and just about managing it... I'm a while off being totally happy. Okay, when I posted early I was definitely having one of those stupid mood swings haha, I feel normal now, which is better than how I could be feeling.

I am not touching alcohol any time soon! Mind you, on my 18th a few weeks ago I only had one drink, I'm not a fan of it anyway. I don't like the taste or the effects and it only makes me feel happy for all of a minute.

It might be your only free day, but there's a lot left of the day! Good luck with your coursework. :yep:

It started today. I used to love snow, but I guess along with everything else, I don't see the fun anymore. That, and I spend too much of my time feeling cold!
    Yeah, its just frustrating because I want to get the work done and I know I should do it but I just can't find the motivation, its all pointless, after graduating I will probably take a completely different direction in terms of career/education.

Its annoying because I think about my friend who is really dedicated and hard working and I want to be like her. She wants to do well for herself as well as her parents whereas I'm only really doing it for my parents, this wasn't my first choice to do this course but I feel like I'm stuck...I don't want to leave because I love the friends I have made and have only just got used to living here.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: please don't, what's up?
    Haven't yet but still so tempted

Everything's wrong, I feel so scared all the time, I can't go out, I can't concentrate, I can't even sleep without taking sleeping tablets. Even sitting in my room is scary because I keep hearing people outside the door.

The only good thing is it's snowing. I have a childish infatuation with snow. :o:

ReputationRep:
    ditto for can't go out. I LOVE SNOWWWWWW. someone teased me last night by saying it was snowing but it was only a tiny bit and so i was like it won't snow :'( but i love it and it makes me verry happy

but now that i have a cold...maybe not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    I imagine it is normal to feel bad when another person dies, particularly if they died by suicide because that means the person felt they would be 'happier' with no life than to still be alive.

Did you quote me and say that because you thought that person was me or something?
    no i didn't think he was you....sorry for quoting-must have been an accident!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, its just frustrating because I want to get the work done and I know I should do it but I just can't find the motivation, its all pointless, after graduating I will probably take a completely different direction in terms of career/education.

Its annoying because I think about my friend who is really dedicated and hard working and I want to be like her. She wants to do well for herself as well as her parents whereas I'm only really doing it for my parents, this wasn't my first choice to do this course but I feel like I'm stuck...I don't want to leave because I love the friends I have made and have only just got used to living here.
    What year are you in at uni? This may be a little odd, but I (and the rest of my family, actually) always say that life (especially jobs, education etc) is flexible. I'm going to take person X here (they are real!). X just did what her parents wanted and did some of an accountancy degree before dropping out. She has so far been a secretary, worked in radio for quite a large company, run her own business and taught adult education. None of that stemmed from what she did at uni, and she did quite a few other qualifications.

My point is, if you're not happy, you can change. Maybe not right now if you don't want to, but you can. What degree are you doing and what do you think you'd rather do? I'm sure your parents will understand because at the end of the day they just want what's best for you.

Don't compare yourself to other people, 1) It's impossible as everyone is different and no two people think in the same way and 2) you're missing your good qualities such as, from what I've seen, being a kind and understanding individual.

This friend may seem to be perfect from the outside, but you can't see inside her head, she may be comparing herself to you. Maybe about dress sense, personality or even exactly what you wrote! Focus on your positives, rather than trying to highlight perceived negatives with others' supposed positives. There's a huge chance that you're not seeing all of it and warping it. Since I stopped comparing myself to others, I've found myself a lot happier because I've realised that no one's perfect and everyone has issues, even if they seem perfect.

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    ditto for can't go out. I LOVE SNOWWWWWW. someone teased me last night by saying it was snowing but it was only a tiny bit and so i was like it won't snow :'( but i love it and it makes me verry happy

but now that i have a cold...maybe not!
    Colds are horrible. :console:

How're things since I last spoke to you (ages ago in the revision thread)?

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: alexa. things are the same but like fallen out with my mum which never helps. and i realised i'm not doing any work (as exams have just finished so im thinking i dont need to when i really should be:erm: ) hope you're ok.

i just feel like everything i do in my life is always secondary to my personal problems, as in whatever i do or think or wherever i go my depression is always on my mind and i can never do anything and just put it first. it's horrid. my life can take one of either two routes and the one i want to take involves doing nothing for the rest of my life, living at home and hiding away from the world. problem is i wont be living at home as my parents would not have any of it !

ReputationRep:

:hugs:
    Thanks for the advice, I'm only in the first year, I've told myself that I should give it a go but I have a strong feeling that I'm not going to be a Pharmacist. They keep scaring about all the cases where people have been killed because a pharmacist has made a mistake, I don't want to kill someone :cry:.

You are right about the comparing issue, I was talking to her about how I'm always comparing myself to others and she said the exact same thing as you did so it must be true I just need to work on being 100% happy with myself but I really admire her positive attitude good behaviour and good heart. She was telling me about how bad used used to be when she was younger, everyone has their story of "Oh I was so bad when I was younger"...but I don't I've always been a good girl to a certain extent, I feel like I'm experiencing my "off the rails" phase right now and I'm struggling with it, being surrounded by changed people, it just makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. But I guess we all progress and become better people in our own time.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Haven't yet but still so tempted

Everything's wrong, I feel so scared all the time, I can't go out, I can't concentrate, I can't even sleep without taking sleeping tablets. Even sitting in my room is scary because I keep hearing people outside the door.

The only good thing is it's snowing. I have a childish infatuation with snow.
    :hugs: fear is a horrible feeling to experience especially when in your room. I think its the lack of sleep which is probably doing this to you. Is there anyone you can phone/talk to just to make you feel better. When I was feeling like that I rang my friend and felt better afterwards, try to preoccupy yourself with something too. That always helps.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.