Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when i go to the doc can i tell 'em i've got depression? or will they think ''shutup kiddie im the doc here''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    :hugs: alexa. things are the same but like fallen out with my mum which never helps. and i realised i'm not doing any work (as exams have just finished so im thinking i dont need to when i really should be:erm: ) hope you're ok.

i just feel like everything i do in my life is always secondary to my personal problems, as in whatever i do or think or wherever i go my depression is always on my mind and i can never do anything and just put it first. it's horrid. my life can take one of either two routes and the one i want to take involves doing nothing for the rest of my life, living at home and hiding away from the world. problem is i wont be living at home as my parents would not have any of it !
    Have you seen your GP/are you seeing anyone about it?

Well, the thing with mothers is that they eventually make up with you, try not to stress about that because you'll make up soon. Oh the joys of being a teenager...

You don't have to do work now, exams are month away, taking a week or so off won't do much as long as you know you'll be okay to do the work afterwards.

I know how you feel, just wanting to sit at home all the time, but things will improve. In the end, things always get better. You might have to wait things out for a while, but things will improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    when i go to the doc can i tell 'em i've got depression? or will they think ''shutup kiddie im the doc here''
    That's what I did. No, I was expecting that or a least a long talk... It was five minutes before he started discussing what he was going to do and saying which antidepressant he'd prescribe me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alexa. well whenever i get chance to go i will. it's just ive been 3 times now and nothing's come of it. i understand they're busy with other people too but honestly, i'm desperate and yet they dont see to realise this. im going to be a bit more blunt this time and hopefully things will start to happen about it cos i really need to see someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    :hugs: fear is a horrible feeling to experience especially when in your room. I think its the lack of sleep which is probably doing this to you. Is there anyone you can phone/talk to just to make you feel better. When I was feeling like that I rang my friend and felt better afterwards, try to preoccupy yourself with something too. That always helps.
    Not really. My best friend is at a lecture and I'd normally talk to him about everything. Maybe I'll watch a dvd though, good idea.

(Original post by Malsy)
    tbh I'd just say what you're going through and let the doctor decide what to do, not that I think you're wrong just that a doctor might not appreciate you coming to your own conclusions (though I understand you know yourself best so I don't see a problem with it).

ReputationRep:
    oh trust me i've told the doc A LOT. ive explained it ALL, cried etc. but yet still....nothing

god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    oh trust me i've told the doc A LOT. ive explained it ALL, cried etc. but yet still....nothing

god
    first time I saw a doctor about depression she told me it was "teenage hormones" (I was nearly 19) and it would go away. Bear in mind I was drinking about 1/2 a bottle of vodka each night, cutting myself, crying and barely going out etc. I now realise she was a moron, and although it took a while I did go back to a different gp who told me what a moron she had been. Just be persistent, if one gp is **** see another one.

ReputationRep:
    I really just don't want to do this any more. The other day I thought maybe if I ever get drunk enough I'll forget the reasons why I can't kill myself and just do it. Then I got drunk, but clearly not enough... Stupid idea anyway, cos if I got that drunk I probably wouldn't do it right anyway, would just wake up in hospital and things would be even worse...

[QUOTE=blue_shift86]I feel like a zombie this morning. Does anyone else feel like that? The feeling where you don't do anything but want to but you just can't get yourself to do any work, go out of the house or anything. I am just sitting in front of my laptop and wasting the hours away checking to see if i've been quoted here, checking facebook and e-mailsQUOTE]

This is me a lot and i hate myself at times for it as i know i should be geting college work done and i get so frustrated at times over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I really just don't want to do this any more. The other day I thought maybe if I ever get drunk enough I'll forget the reasons why I can't kill myself and just do it. Then I got drunk, but clearly not enough... Stupid idea anyway, cos if I got that drunk I probably wouldn't do it right anyway, would just wake up in hospital and things would be even worse...
    Ahh drinking is never the answer even though it seems like a good idea at the time, especially for me, it just amplifies my anxiety

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way is there anything you can do to make you feel a bit more like watching your favourite film or going for a walk. Just try to remove yourself from your thoughts. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh drinking is never the answer even though it seems like a good idea at the time, especially for me, it just amplifies my anxiety

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way is there anything you can do to make you feel a bit more like watching your favourite film or going for a walk. Just try to remove yourself from your thoughts. :hugs:
    Yeah, I probably shouldn't drink but I get so sick of feeling like this all the time, just need to feel something different for a while.

Feeling too **** to do anything apart from pissing about on the internet. Meh.

How've you been today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Yeah, I probably shouldn't drink but I get so sick of feeling like this all the time, just need to feel something different for a while.

Feeling too **** to do anything apart from pissing about on the internet. Meh.

How've you been today?
    I know the feeling , it gets to the point were life seems so de ja vue but the cycle will have to break soon enough, you just have to initiate that breakage.

I'm not too bad thanks, but struggling to focus on my coursework, I've been at it all day and I just can't seem to bring myself to work on it. I'm so bored of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Thanks alexa. well whenever i get chance to go i will. it's just ive been 3 times now and nothing's come of it. i understand they're busy with other people too but honestly, i'm desperate and yet they dont see to realise this. im going to be a bit more blunt this time and hopefully things will start to happen about it cos i really need to see someone
    Sorry I've taken ages to reply, something happened that meant I've spent the last 5 hours in A&E (I'm okay thankfully).

Just go in and say you think you have it, explain how you're feeling etc. Book an appointment with the GP you think is most likely to understand. Maybe even tell them the school counsellor thinks you're depressed? Yes, it's a lie but they may take you more seriously then? How old are you? Apparently they're more likely to give you antidepressants if you're over 18.

-

Oh dear God. I do not want to take citalopram any more. I just can't take it. I thought the side effects were going away, but I was 4 hours later than normal taking it, and the weird movements were so bad I thought I was about to have a fit (note that I've never had one, so my panic was probably taking over!). I just want to cry, I hate it. To make things worse, I was in the A&E waiting room when it started to get really bad, so there were loads of people there... :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Oh dear God. I do not want to take citalopram any more. I just can't take it. I thought the side effects were going away, but I was 4 hours later than normal taking it, and the weird movements were so bad I thought I was about to have a fit (note that I've never had one, so my panic was probably taking over!). I just want to cry, I hate it. To make things worse, I was in the A&E waiting room when it started to get really bad, so there were loads of people there... :cry2:
    :hugs: know the feeling I hate taking mine too. Could you ask to switch to another antidepressant? The side effects do normally go away after a while but if they're not you might as well switch to something else, it's not like there's not a lot to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I'm only in the first year, I've told myself that I should give it a go but I have a strong feeling that I'm not going to be a Pharmacist. They keep scaring about all the cases where people have been killed because a pharmacist has made a mistake, I don't want to kill someone :cry:.

You are right about the comparing issue, I was talking to her about how I'm always comparing myself to others and she said the exact same thing as you did so it must be true I just need to work on being 100% happy with myself but I really admire her positive attitude good behaviour and good heart. She was telling me about how bad used used to be when she was younger, everyone has their story of "Oh I was so bad when I was younger"...but I don't I've always been a good girl to a certain extent, I feel like I'm experiencing my "off the rails" phase right now and I'm struggling with it, being surrounded by changed people, it just makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. But I guess we all progress and become better people in our own time.
    Again, sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm feeling really rough right now and really not with it, so this may not make sense/be very good.

Okay, right...

Is that you're only reason you don't want to be a pharmacist? If so, don't worry about that! Not every single pharmacist makes a mistake and is it's something you enjoy, then surely you can override that fear? TBH, I have never heard or read of any pharmacist accidentally killing someone, so it must be pretty rare! If that's not the only reason then think about what else you'd like to pursue. Is it loosely related to what you're doing/in the science field? If yes, then maybe have a chat with your uni about the possibility of changing to a slightly different course or think about whether or not your A levels are suitable for what you want to do. If they're not there are always intensive A levels and other routes into things.

People always hide the part of themselves that's struggling/not coping/not good, just remember that and enjoy your good qualities.

I might add to this in the morning as no doubt I've written rubbish/gibberish, but I don't think I can continue to think and type, just too much for my poor little brain! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hate my 'friends' :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    :hugs: know the feeling I hate taking mine too. Could you ask to switch to another antidepressant? The side effects do normally go away after a while but if they're not you might as well switch to something else, it's not like there's not a lot to choose from.
    I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, but I might go to the open surgery tomorrow... I can't take this, I honestly thought I was going to pass out/have a fit. It happened the other day when I was on time taking it. If I'm sitting down, it's normally just my arms, but in the car home today, my legs started to move of their own accord too...

Last time it happened, I was lying down and it was my entire body doing these weird jerky movements (with my head turning from right, where I was watching TV, to left) and it happened so many times in a row and with such a short gap in between that I thought something horrible was about to happen.

I feel so sick right now too...

Anyone else ever had this?

ReputationRep:
    say you go to a doctors, can he offer you non medicinal ways of helping you?

e.g. can he refer you to someone else who can give you more help?

or is it basically pills or gtfo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, but I might go to the open surgery tomorrow... I can't take this, I honestly thought I was going to pass out/have a fit. It happened the other day when I was on time taking it. If I'm sitting down, it's normally just my arms, but in the car home today, my legs started to move of their own accord too...

Last time it happened, I was lying down and it was my entire body doing these weird jerky movements (with my head turning from right, where I was watching TV, to left) and it happened so many times in a row and with such a short gap in between that I thought something horrible was about to happen.

I feel so sick right now too...

Anyone else ever had this?
    I've not had that, it doesn't sound good at all. If I was you I'd go tomorrow because that isn't a common reaction as far as I've read/know so the sooner you get off the better. Good luck.

(Original post by Yas89)
    say you go to a doctors, can he offer you non medicinal ways of helping you?

e.g. can he refer you to someone else who can give you more help?

or is it basically pills or gtfo?
    Yeah most of them will try to fob you off with pills which of course you can refuse. The waiting list for CBT is generally very very long, but you might be offered counselling/told where you can go for counselling if you're lucky/persistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I've not had that, it doesn't sound good at all. If I was you I'd go tomorrow because that isn't a common reaction as far as I've read/know so the sooner you get off the better. Good luck.

Yeah most of them will try to fob you off with pills which of course you can refuse. The waiting list for CBT is generally very very long, but you might be offered counselling/told where you can go for counselling if you're lucky/persistent.
    I hate GPs - i once went to ask about something personal that had been worrying me for years and she basically dismissed it straight away and refused to believe me, was quite annoying, though perhaps it gave me some perspective. Still when I go to a GP i expect some kind of consideration/understanding of a patients complaints. Im a dental student and i would hate to think id be like that when i become a dentist

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.