Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I'm too tired to do anything now haha. One of the positives of how tired I get I guess. I just feel like a failure because of school etc and never doing as well as I could because I never try and now I've missed out on the chance to go to amazing unis.

:hugs: Just try to ignore it and move on, sometimes you have to not see the best in people. I have the exact opposite problem, I am a heartless ***** sometimes.
    Yeah I feel like I've wasted so much time here at Uni too. I look at my friend and she is so dedecated and hard working. I really wish I had her heart and positive attitude. I'm so cynical and negative about everything. I know I told you to hope for the best and expect the best but I always expect the worst and so its what I get I guess, funny how that works out....I feel sick... I hate what I'm becoming :cry:

I thought you got good news from Manchester? Don't give up hope, its not the end of the line, life will throw you many opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Yeah I feel like I've wasted so much time here at Uni too. I look at my friend and she is so dedecated and hard working. I really wish I had her heart and positive attitude. I'm so cynical and negative about everything. I know I told you to hope for the best and expect the best but I always expect the worst and so its what I get I guess, funny how that works out....I feel sick... I hate what I'm becoming :cry:

I thought you got good news from Manchester? Don't give up hope, its not the end of the line, life will throw you many opportunities.
    I know how you feel, but remember what I said about that friend, she'll be having her own problems too. Just try to focus on yourself and getting yourself get better - just be selfish for a while. You won't stay like this forever, you're getting help and it will get better.

Yeah, I've just firmed Manchester (I stupidly didn't think about whether or not I need to ask if I can defer). Yes, it will haha.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, but remember what I said about that friend, she'll be having her own problems too. Just try to focus on yourself and getting yourself get better - just be selfish for a while. You won't stay like this forever, you're getting help and it will get better.

Yeah, I've just firmed Manchester (I stupidly didn't think about whether or not I need to ask if I can defer). Yes, it will haha.
    Yeah, thats true, thats the most frustrating thing about this. It deludes you into thinking that everyone elses is perfect, I just feel like I don't deserve to be around such good, positive people.

I'm sure you can defer, I had a friend who did that, there is no reason as to why you shouldn't be able to do so, just ring them up and ask if its possible.

I think I'm going to take a long hot shower now, I need to release a bit of frustration, wash away the disgust.

Hope you have a good evening, sorry if I've been a downer...I guess I just need to keep it together...and snap out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thats true, thats the most frustrating thing about this. It deludes you into thinking that everyone elses is perfect, I just feel like I don't deserve to be around such good, positive people.

I'm sure you can defer, I had a friend who did that, there is no reason as to why you shouldn't be able to do so, just ring them up and ask if its possible.

I think I'm going to take a long hot shower now, I need to release a bit of frustration, wash away the disgust.

Hope you have a good evening, sorry if I've been a downer...I guess I just need to keep it together...and snap out of it.
    But you do deserve to be around them, if that's what you want.

I don't know yet if I want to defer... I'm still so confused about what to do, so I'm just going ahead and going along as if I'm taking the exams this year.

I should take a shower... And you don't need to 'wash away the disgust', try to remember that you've got very little/nothing to be disgusted in yourself about.

And you! No, you haven't been a downer and you can't help feeling like this.

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could stop these thoughts. I just seem to get lost in them, then after a while I come back to myself and feel scared at how horrible they are.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, I was wondering if you would help me with something. I've been taking Fluoxetine 20MG for about a week now, and I've noticed my number of hours sleep decreasing. It started with me waking at half seven, but now it's become sixish, and today I woke up at about 4 and couldn't get back to sleep. I'd only went to bed at 12ish.

Does anyone else have similar troubles, or a suggestion? I'm going to delay taking today's pill till tomorrow morning, so I can see it taking the medicine at 9 at night is the cause.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, hope everyone's feeling ok today :hugs:

I just got switched from fluoxetine (which I'd been on for 7 wks) to citalopram, but apparently I have to spend a week taking fluoxetine alternate days, then a week taking nothing, before I can start the citalopram - is this the usual procedure?

(Original post by superwolf)
    It happens often enough that I'm pretty sure it can't just be my paranoia (although I suspect sometimes it is). And no, he really doesn't have that much work to do at the moment. I dunno, there's so many things wrong with my life right now I can't even cope with the smallest problem.

I'm sort of ok now. Self-harm ftw.

Sorry you're feeling bad too.

:hugs: I'm sorry you're feeling that way. I know what you mean with the small problems - yesterday I found out I now have to pay council tax and practically had a meltdown.
    Sometimes some of my friends have cut off from me a bit in the past when I've been depressed/panicky because it starts getting them upset or panicky as well... It's definitely no fun feeling isolated when you're not feeling well anyway though - I know I miss the friendship and support base I had at undergrad so much. Have you explained to your friend what you're going through at the moment?

(Original post by Steffi.Alexa)

I've been switched to citalopram, hope it suits me better... Felt a bit worried when she named it after what you went through on it but I guess it varies so much according to the individual. I just wish for once in my life I could find an insomnia cure, if I could sleep every night I'd be so much better.

Thanks for your advice I've found someone I know from my course who I can live with next year and sent off a couple of job applications so that's made me feel a little bit better - still not much progress on the work front though. I'm just a bit worried that I'm using the diagnosis and insomnia as an excuse to avoid the work... I have to get on with it really. On some level I think I worry that if I push myself I will either have a breakdown again or trigger off my latent genetic predisposition to bipolar disorder... even though that's probably not true.

You should give yourself credit for facing up to and tackling the ED, it's such a hard thing to do - one of my friends still can't even contemplate it at 22.

Eurgh, I hate it when teachers - especially ones who should really know better - have so little understanding for what their students are going through. I don't blame you for getting angry, though it's probably a good thing you didn't actually yell at her Must feel good to have photocopied and caught up on the work

If you really feel the trust is broken with your counsellor you could ask your GP about other free counselling services in the area. I just did, as my uni counselling is coming to an end, and was given about 5 phone numbers for places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Add)
    Hi Guys, I was wondering if you would help me with something. I've been taking Fluoxetine 20MG for about a week now, and I've noticed my number of hours sleep decreasing. It started with me waking at half seven, but now it's become sixish, and today I woke up at about 4 and couldn't get back to sleep. I'd only went to bed at 12ish.

Does anyone else have similar troubles, or a suggestion? I'm going to delay taking today's pill till tomorrow morning, so I can see it taking the medicine at 9 at night is the cause.
    Insomnia's one of the most common side effects of fluoxetine, unfortunately - apparently a lot of people taking it seem to wake up at 4-6am. It's possible that this will just be a temporary side effect and will go after another week or two though If not it's best to go have a chat with the GP and see what they suggest. Taking the medicine at night is probably not the best idea. I did that last night by mistake and literally didn't sleep. You can experiment with what time is best for you, maybe morning or early afternoon might be better.

ReputationRep:
    Feel a bit like crap today Not even out of bed yet! How's everyone else doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin)
    Hey guys, hope everyone's feeling ok today :hugs:

I just got switched from fluoxetine (which I'd been on for 7 wks) to citalopram, but apparently I have to spend a week taking fluoxetine alternate days, then a week taking nothing, before I can start the citalopram - is this the usual procedure?

:hugs: I'm sorry you're feeling that way. I know what you mean with the small problems - yesterday I found out I now have to pay council tax and practically had a meltdown.
    Sometimes some of my friends have cut off from me a bit in the past when I've been depressed/panicky because it starts getting them upset or panicky as well... It's definitely no fun feeling isolated when you're not feeling well anyway though - I know I miss the friendship and support base I had at undergrad so much. Have you explained to your friend what you're going through at the moment?
    Are you sure you have to pay council tax? You shouldn't if you're in full time education or unemployed. Maybe talk to the citizen's advice bureau or someone to check.

My friend's actually one of the few people who I've told just about everything. And a lot of the time he's really good about it, but then there's other times when it just seems like he wants to get rid of me. I suspect he thinks I exaggerate how bad I'm feeling to be manipulative - which I can't really blame him for, cos it's exactly the sort of thing I would do, only I really haven't been doing that. Meh, I overanalyse things.

Good luck with the citalopram. Coming off the other one slow is definitely the right way to go - I came off mirtazapine way too fast, meant I couldn't sleep at all and cried practically nonstop for about three days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    Feel a bit like crap today Not even out of bed yet! How's everyone else doing?
    :console: Well I don't know about you, but I still haven't got out of bed yet. I plan to very soon, honest. Feeling any better now?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you have to pay council tax? You shouldn't if you're in full time education or unemployed. Maybe talk to the citizen's advice bureau or someone to check.

My friend's actually one of the few people who I've told just about everything. And a lot of the time he's really good about it, but then there's other times when it just seems like he wants to get rid of me. I suspect he thinks I exaggerate how bad I'm feeling to be manipulative - which I can't really blame him for, cos it's exactly the sort of thing I would do, only I really haven't been doing that. Meh, I overanalyse things.

Good luck with the citalopram. Coming off the other one slow is definitely the right way to go - I came off mirtazapine way too fast, meant I couldn't sleep at all and cried practically nonstop for about three days.
    Well I've switched to a part-time course so I'm not really in full-time education anymore I guess... I am currently unemployed though so I'm going to call the council and check it out.

It's good that you've got someone you can tell everything to. I've found when you feel you've just got one person you can be open with it's easy to overanalyse their reactions and feel abandoned by them at times. I've got 2 friends (sadly they don't live here) who I can talk to, but one of them's in Florida for a month and the other has started working full time, and I often get upset or paranoid about it because I'm used to them being around. I always assume friends are annoyed with me when actually they're just having a bit of a down day themselves or something. How long have you been friends with this guy? It sounds like it's been a reasonably long time so if he actually did want to get rid of you he would've done it by now - I'm sure he doesn't feel that way :console:

Thanks for the advice & sorry you had a rough time coming off the mirtazapine. Mind you I'm not sleeping at all anyway - the only way I get any sleep is if I decide to let myself do nothing the next day so I have nothing to feel anxious about Hoping the citalopram will help because it's more anxiety-targeting... Currently missing a seminar despite having read the book and only having *one a week* to attend... I suck.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow woke up stupidly early today which is weird for me (8am!! :eek: ), spent most the day thinking. I think I might not be as depressed as I used to be. Like before I would cry for hours at absolutely nothing but haven't done that in about a week, until today when I felt ****. Like I've cried but always had a reason recently, so that's not depression, right? I dunno. I'm just trying to work out why the people I'm seeing aren't making me see the psychiatrist and why they didn't mention depression in the last 5 letters to my gp. Still haven't been to any classes, oops. :o:

In other news, a poster about student depression being "more common than you think" has appeared on the kitchen wall. The paranoid part of me suspects my flatmates purposely put it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dappleddawndrawndauphin)
    Well I've switched to a part-time course so I'm not really in full-time education anymore I guess... I am currently unemployed though so I'm going to call the council and check it out.

It's good that you've got someone you can tell everything to. I've found when you feel you've just got one person you can be open with it's easy to overanalyse their reactions and feel abandoned by them at times. I've got 2 friends (sadly they don't live here) who I can talk to, but one of them's in Florida for a month and the other has started working full time, and I often get upset or paranoid about it because I'm used to them being around. I always assume friends are annoyed with me when actually they're just having a bit of a down day themselves or something. How long have you been friends with this guy? It sounds like it's been a reasonably long time so if he actually did want to get rid of you he would've done it by now - I'm sure he doesn't feel that way :console:

Thanks for the advice & sorry you had a rough time coming off the mirtazapine. Mind you I'm not sleeping at all anyway - the only way I get any sleep is if I decide to let myself do nothing the next day so I have nothing to feel anxious about Hoping the citalopram will help because it's more anxiety-targeting... Currently missing a seminar despite having read the book and only having *one a week* to attend... I suck.
    Sucks that your friends aren't around. Do you get to see the one who's working much? I've known my friend since the start of uni, so about 3 1/2 years. We live in the same house so he couldn't get rid of me even if he wanted to.

Eugh, I hate insomnia. Citalopram made mine worse, but it does the opposite for some people, so hopefully it'll help you sleep. Hell, at least you read the book for the seminar - better than not doing anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Somehow woke up stupidly early today which is weird for me (8am!! :eek: ), spent most the day thinking. I think I might not be as depressed as I used to be. Like before I would cry for hours at absolutely nothing but haven't done that in about a week, until today when I felt ****. Like I've cried but always had a reason recently, so that's not depression, right? I dunno. I'm just trying to work out why the people I'm seeing aren't making me see the psychiatrist and why they didn't mention depression in the last 5 letters to my gp. Still haven't been to any classes, oops. :o:

In other news, a poster about student depression being "more common than you think" has appeared on the kitchen wall. The paranoid part of me suspects my flatmates purposely put it there.
    :party:

Less depression = good.

Meh, skiving is good for the soul. Waking at 8am is not, however, so the two cancel each other out. I woke up at 2.30pm today. And didn't actually get up for another two hours.

Pretty unlikely that your flatmates put the poster there, it's probably part of some awareness campaign and been put up in everyone's kitchen. Besides it's got a nice 'you shouldn't feel so alone' sort of message.

ReputationRep:
    :party:

Less depression = good.

Meh, skiving is good for the soul. Waking at 8am is not, however, so the two cancel each other out. I woke up at 2.30pm today. And didn't actually get up for another two hours.

Pretty unlikely that your flatmates put the poster there, it's probably part of some awareness campaign and been put up in everyone's kitchen. Besides it's got a nice 'you shouldn't feel so alone' sort of message.
    I came on tsr, ate breakfast then went back to bed playing ds until 1 :p: Just weird to wake up so early. 2.30 is a respectable time to wake up. What'd you do in bed for 2 hours? laptop? (pretty much only reason I dislike a desktop).

went on the website on the poster, it was crap, all these people's stories about being depressed for a month then getting on with their lives. :dry:

Whilst I agree less depression is definitely good it does make me wonder what the **** is going on if not that. :confused: Like still **** concentration (even with 2 essays looming) can't think, other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I came on tsr, ate breakfast then went back to bed playing ds until 1 :p: Just weird to wake up so early. 2.30 is a respectable time to wake up. What'd you do in bed for 2 hours? laptop? (pretty much only reason I dislike a desktop).

went on the website on the poster, it was crap, all these people's stories about being depressed for a month then getting on with their lives. :dry:

Whilst I agree less depression is definitely good it does make me wonder what the **** is going on if not that. :confused: Like still **** concentration (even with 2 essays looming) can't think, other stuff.
    Laptop indeed. It lives on one side of my bed, alongside everything else I might need, and I sleep on the other side. Therefore I hardly even have to get out of bed at all. Come to think of it, it's not like I actually have a chair in my room, so it's either stay in bed or sit on the floor.

Well that sounds depressing. **** normal people and their ability to overcome life's obstacles.

Hmm. I spose you could talk to the psychologist about it, see what they have to say.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm 4 hours sleep, not good when I have a 9am-5pm day. Found out one of my mates has been feeling really down lately too. Sucks big time
    Last night was hell, spent most of it crying and wishing I was dead. I just feel so trapped in a life that seems to be going no where, if I wasn't studying pharmacy and didn't know the effects of a paracetamol OD then I probably would have attempted it...
    I woke up with a headache and huge puffy eyes but I managed to put on the mask for everyone.

Ever feel like you just want to shut yourself away in your room away from the outside world and sleep...forever? I'm such a negative person, I just contaminate positivity with negativity, I'm better off not being around anyone.

How is everyone today? :hugs: to those that need it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm 4 hours sleep, not good when I have a 9am-5pm day. Found out one of my mates has been feeling really down lately too. Sucks big time
    Last night was hell, spent most of it crying and wishing I was dead. I just feel so trapped in a life that seems to be going no where, if I wasn't studying pharmacy and didn't know the effects of a paracetamol OD then I probably would have attempted it...
    I woke up with a headache and huge puffy eyes but I managed to put on the mask for everyone.

Ever feel like you just want to shut yourself away in your room away from the outside world and sleep...forever? I'm such a negative person, I just contaminate positivity with negativity, I'm better off not being around anyone.

How is everyone today? :hugs: to those that need it.
    :hugs: You need that positivity around you - you need people's support. Things will improve.

-

I did nothing in school. Been feeling kind of numb/angry/upset all day - a nice mix. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: You need that positivity around you - you need people's support. Things will improve.

-

I did nothing in school. Been feeling kind of numb/angry/upset all day - a nice mix. :nothing:
    It's only a matter of time before people get frustrated with my inability to be all the time. I don't blame people for getting bored and leaving me/using me. I bring it on myself, I'm not the sort of person you sick around for.

Ahh I can identify with those feelings, been feeling that too today. For the first time I felt that I couldn't cry. I just sat there thinking I want to cry but I can't I just can't. Eventually I did and couldn't stop.
    I hate these mood swings.

What brought on those feelings do you know?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.