Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Does anyone sometimes feel like they're making everything up? Like I dunno as an excuse for laziness. I can't get this idea out my head recently, it's why none of the anti-depressants I've taken have worked at all, because I'm not depressed I'm just a lazy loser looking for something to blame all my problems on. My inability to concentrate at uni is simply my brain looking for an excuse to not do the work.

I first got this idea from the mental health woman at university, I was talking to her and she said perhaps the reason I can't do the work is because subconsciously I don't want to. I was bullied so much when I was a kid, a lot of it due to me being really good in school, so she was saying perhaps subconsciously I don't want to do well so that I don't get bullied again and I don't stand out. I thought it was total bull**** when she said it but now the thoughts won't go away. If I am making this all up what's it going to take to get out of it? I'm about to fail my uni exams, then I'll have no where to live, no job, nothing, where will my subconscious stop?

argh ****, wrote loads of rubbish. Sorry.
    That's exactly how I feel! Mind you, that's exactly how I felt and sometimes still do about my ED, despite that having quite clear physical symptoms. :erm:

Just try to ignore them, I've come to the conclusion that people are ****, only you know how you're feeling so ignore what other people think. She probably didn't mean it in that way anyway, she may have meant that you've had a gap or something from working 'normally' and now the fear of the unknown may be causing your mind to not be able to do it even more. Does that apply?

Thanks for the advice BTW.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh things are not going so well. I've decided to stop seeing my counsellor, as she has just made things loads worse. Making me remember everything, and now making me absouletely hate my mum, even though we were getting on in short doses before, now I can't even talk to her. So it's completely ruined my relationship with her. And I feel that everytime I go to the counsellor now I don't really know what to say, and the awkward silences make me feel even worse than just not going. I want to get better, but I don't see how a counsellor telling me over and over again that I need to stop telling myself the things that I heard in my abusive relationship is going to help. I want to stop telling myself these things, but I can't. Telling me to stop won't help! Grrrarrrggghhhh :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Does anyone sometimes feel like they're making everything up? Like I dunno as an excuse for laziness. I can't get this idea out my head recently, it's why none of the anti-depressants I've taken have worked at all, because I'm not depressed I'm just a lazy loser looking for something to blame all my problems on. My inability to concentrate at uni is simply my brain looking for an excuse to not do the work.

I first got this idea from the mental health woman at university, I was talking to her and she said perhaps the reason I can't do the work is because subconsciously I don't want to. I was bullied so much when I was a kid, a lot of it due to me being really good in school, so she was saying perhaps subconsciously I don't want to do well so that I don't get bullied again and I don't stand out. I thought it was total bull**** when she said it but now the thoughts won't go away. If I am making this all up what's it going to take to get out of it? I'm about to fail my uni exams, then I'll have no where to live, no job, nothing, where will my subconscious stop?

argh ****, wrote loads of rubbish. Sorry.
    Maybe there is some truth in it. My counsellor said I don't work because perhaps I don't feel like I deserve a degree as my ex used to tell me how stupid I was, even though I'm actually quite bright. I don't know whether to believe her either, and I'm about to fail my dissertation and exams too. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I have mental problems. There is something wrong with me but i do not know what. I am like one of those zombie people who just sits at their desk all day and gets nothing done. Help me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    I have mental problems. There is something wrong with me but i do not know what. I am like one of those zombie people who just sits at their desk all day and gets nothing done. Help me!
    Replace that desk with a bed and that's me. Have you tried a counsellor recently? Maybe that would help you find out why you can't get anything done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    Replace that desk with a bed and that's me. Have you tried a counsellor recently? Maybe that would help you find out why you can't get anything done.
    I saw a counselor for 3 years. She retired/left in august and i've been alone since. I'm so used to talking to someone I'm not coping well without a counselor. I tried the new one but he was a bit of a ****** so i gave up.

ReputationRep:
    **** this, i'm going to the museum of london to chill out :p: Bye for a few hours everyone!

ReputationRep:
    :console: This sounds like me. I guess you've just got to push yourself to get on with things, or you might just feel worse about not doing anything. Hope you had fun at the museum by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had friends and wasn't so damn quiet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    :console: This sounds like me. I guess you've just got to push yourself to get on with things, or you might just feel worse about not doing anything. Hope you had fun at the museum by the way.
    I couldn't even get to it - everything is against me. There were severe delays on the east and westbound tube this afternoon so everything gronud to a halt. I just planned my project a bit and came home after going to the uni library. Man I hate being at home - it's where my dad is and I hate being with him. I wish it was my dad that had a heart attack today, not my gran.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had friends and wasn't so damn quiet
    Ditto to that

ReputationRep:
    Ditto to that
    You'd think being in this huge city it'd be easy. Feels so lonely sometimes I want so much to be confident again, just seems so far away a dream.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that I was feeling a bit better (from how I was earlier), I'd even written up my coursework plan, the introduction and gone to a lesson today. And now... I... Yeah, whatever. Not feeling great TBH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I thought that I was feeling a bit better (from how I was earlier), I'd even written up my coursework plan, the introduction and gone to a lesson today. And now... I... Yeah, whatever. Not feeling great TBH.
    Well done, don't try to over do it. Little steps at a time are better than one huge leap that shoves you back down again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Well done, don't try to over do it. Little steps at a time are better than one huge leap that shoves you back down again!
    The final deadline is on Wednesday, I have to finish it by then, but...

-

Why the hell can't I just pull myself together and just get on with everything instead of hiding away under my duvet? :cry:

ReputationRep:
    The final deadline is on Wednesday, I have to finish it by then, but...

-

Why the hell can't I just pull myself together and just get on with everything instead of hiding away under my duvet? :cry:
    That's fine

I think you need an easy to stick to plan... Sooooo. How long is it? Is it one big piece or little different bits? You can do this :yes:

ReputationRep:
    That's fine

I think you need an easy to stick to plan... Sooooo. How long is it? Is it one big piece or little different bits? You can do this :yes:
    It's only 2,000 words, but I just... I mean, what's even the point?

I just want to disappear right now, the coursework will never get done.

ReputationRep:
    It's only 2,000 words, but I just... I mean, what's even the point?

I just want to disappear right now, the coursework will never get done.
    It won't if you take that attitude to it. Ok, so 2000 words - that's what, 200 intro, 300 conclusion, 1500 work? (I'm not sure how you split yours, maybe better with a bit more in the intro and conc...) You say you have the intro - so that's some done already

So, summarise your main points, aiming to have between 90 - 150 words on them (dependant again on what you're writing about...) and then tomorrow after school/when you feel ready expand the points and keep going :yes: You can do this! :woo: You will feel awesome when it's done, I promise (Y)

(Ehhh, I'm a bit hyper today.)

ReputationRep:
    It won't if you take that attitude to it. Ok, so 2000 words - that's what, 200 intro, 300 conclusion, 1500 work? (I'm not sure how you split yours, maybe better with a bit more in the intro and conc...) You say you have the intro - so that's some done already

So, summarise your main points, aiming to have between 90 - 150 words on them (dependant again on what you're writing about...) and then tomorrow after school/when you feel ready expand the points and keep going :yes: You can do this! :woo: You will feel awesome when it's done, I promise (Y)

(Ehhh, I'm a bit hyper today.)
    Thanks. I probably won't get it done today though. I'm having a minor breakdown right now.

I honestly see little point in doing all but a few things, and I'm guessing those things would annoy people, so I'll just do nothing until I feel better. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I probably won't get it done today though. I'm having a minor breakdown right now.

I honestly see little point in doing all but a few things, and I'm guessing those things would annoy people, so I'll just do nothing until I feel better. :erm:
    Ok, well, just do what you can

What do you see a point in doing? Unless those things are self destructive or going to impact on other people, I see no reason why you shouldn't do them.

(Sorry, when I go up, I get incredibly productive - but meaninglessly productive, because I never end up doing the right bits of work :o: )

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.