Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone is on prozac (fluoxetine in particular) and what kind of side effects have you experienced?
    I'm finding it difficult to tell between what is the depression and what is a side effect of the medication...for example, I'm having the most horrific nightmares every night that I'm scared to go to sleep :| Also I'm feeling really weird, one minute like I'm not connected with the world properly and not quite alive? I thought this feeling would go by taking the medication?
    Does anyone else get this?
    I've taken prozac for a period of time before but stopped taking it because I felt like I could face depression on my own and beat it...unfortunately after a few months I fell back into it again.

Does anyone have any advice on how to help the nightmare/bad night sleep situation?
    I've got A2 exams coming up, and if I dont start getting some decent rest, I'm going to do really badly :/
    Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccah)
    Just wondering if anyone is on prozac (fluoxetine in particular) and what kind of side effects have you experienced?
    I'm finding it difficult to tell between what is the depression and what is a side effect of the medication...for example, I'm having the most horrific nightmares every night that I'm scared to go to sleep :| Also I'm feeling really weird, one minute like I'm not connected with the world properly and not quite alive? I thought this feeling would go by taking the medication?
    Does anyone else get this?
    I've taken prozac for a period of time before but stopped taking it because I felt like I could face depression on my own and beat it...unfortunately after a few months I fell back into it again.

Does anyone have any advice on how to help the nightmare/bad night sleep situation?
    I've got A2 exams coming up, and if I dont start getting some decent rest, I'm going to do really badly :/
    Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated x
    Yeah nightmares/****** up dreams can be caused by antidepressants, I get that too. What seems to work for me is taking a fair amount of zopiclone when I go to bed, it's a sleeping pill and generally lets me have a much better night's sleep I don't tend to dream at all on it (though doing a quick google search it seems that zopiclone can give some people really bad dreams too). Might be worth seeing your GP because if you're scared of going to sleep that's clearly not good. Even if your GP can't give you anything to stop the dreams then he could change you to another antidepressant which may not have that effect on you.

(Original post by johnbergqvist)
    argh not had a good day today, I have a week to finish 5 peices of work (varying different types) for uni and we're slowly getting there, except i STILL cant bring myself to do half of the work, plus i reckon im Bullimic, i just cant stop eating and drinking today Really just want to give up on this uni thing now, especially as im probably going to fail anyway. I got 1 out of 100 on my last exam. :sad:
    Know the feeling, can't get myself to do work either. Are you in first year? I think you should keep trying, even if you fail at least you tried but if you give up you'll never know if actually you might have passed.

ReputationRep:
    1st year
    Yep I'm a first year too. Sucks that I have no motivation/energy to revise with exams 5 weeks away and I have a heck of a lot to get through. I don't want to mess up my life as so many people are relying on me to do well and my parents have invested so much in me...I just feel bllaahh though, don't even want to leave the house but I have to. Everything is too much effort right now.
    Its not too late to make a difference in your results though, I'm sure you can pull up your grades in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    1st year
    You have plenty of time to get your grades up. Try and make yourself small targets, like a couple of hundred words at a time - that's not very much. Then just go through them, with plenty of breaks unless you get on a role. You will feel so much better once you've got a bit done. I know how hard it is to get motivated. I'm in my final year, and already resat it once, and I have very little time til my dissertation is due in and I haven't even started. But small targets seem to be working.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling really guilty about everything at the moment... It seems to be a lot better when I'm in my room though, so I don't plan on moving for a good while...

How's everyone? :hugs: to those that need it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, how's it going round here?

I seem to have lost the ability to read, like I can see the words but they're all mixing together and moving, been concentrating so hard just to read tsr, even with much bigger text it's so much effort. I'm at home on my own and really need to cut to get over this, I think that would work but I'm trying not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Hey guys, how's it going round here?

I seem to have lost the ability to read, like I can see the words but they're all mixing together and moving, been concentrating so hard just to read tsr, even with much bigger text it's so much effort. I'm at home on my own and really need to cut to get over this, I think that would work but I'm trying not to.
    :hugs:

Try not to cut. Would watching TV be possible? Do anything to distract you from what's going on and to stop you from hurting yourself.

Also, that's really odd, are you overtired or something similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :hugs:

Try not to cut. Would watching TV be possible? Do anything to distract you from what's going on and to stop you from hurting yourself.

Also, that's really odd, are you overtired or something similar?
    Don't have a tv. I've been watching old south park episodes but nothing is loud enough to block out stuff I hear.

The reading thing has happened before, no idea what causes it only that I get a huge headache from trying too hard to read.

How's you?

ReputationRep:
    Don't have a tv. I've been watching old south park episodes but nothing is loud enough to block out stuff I hear.

The reading thing has happened before, no idea what causes it only that I get a huge headache from trying too hard to read.

How's you?
    Just try to focus on south park then. Is there anyone that you can call, just to have to be there and not get distracted for a while?

Hmm, have you seen a doctor about it? Maybe it's some weird side effect from the antidepressants?

I'm fine now thanks, I just keep forgetting to make that large cup of coffee I promised myself :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Just try to focus on south park then. Is there anyone that you can call, just to have to be there and not get distracted for a while?

Hmm, have you seen a doctor about it? Maybe it's some weird side effect from the antidepressants?

I'm fine now thanks, I just keep forgetting to make that large cup of coffee I promised myself :erm:
    My friend is in class so can't call anyone

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before to my psychiatrist but just like everything else I tell her, she doesn't give a damn.

coffee at this time of night? how will you sleep? :p:

ReputationRep:
    My friend is in class so can't call anyone

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before to my psychiatrist but just like everything else I tell her, she doesn't give a damn.

coffee at this time of night? how will you sleep? :p:
    Would calling them when they've finished help? :hugs:

I'm sure she does care. I know it's easy to think that people like that don't care, but they do - they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't. But they do often detach themselves, giving the impression that they don't care when they do. Maybe try telling her it's happened again?

It's not even 11pm yet! And I haven't had that much coffee today... One of them was decaf :yep: I'll sleep as well as I normally do, which isn't great but oh well!

ReputationRep:
    Would calling them when they've finished help? :hugs:

I'm sure she does care. I know it's easy to think that people like that don't care, but they do - they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't. But they do often detach themselves, giving the impression that they don't care when they do. Maybe try telling her it's happened again?

It's not even 11pm yet! And I haven't had that much coffee today... One of them was decaf :yep: I'll sleep as well as I normally do, which isn't great but oh well!
    Meant to be going for food with him when he's finished, couple more hours though.

Nah she really doesn't. I changed psychiatrist at the start of the year, I've seen this one twice and despite saying how much I absolutely hate the current "medication" I'm on and the fact I am certainly going to fail all exams if this keeps up, she refuses to do anything about it.

Isn't it nearly 11? I can't even drink tea after 5pm or I won't sleep (coke is fine weirdly) so no chance with a large coffee :p: If you're not sleeping well is it worth a word with your gp?

ReputationRep:
    Meant to be going for food with him when he's finished, couple more hours though.

Nah she really doesn't. I changed psychiatrist at the start of the year, I've seen this one twice and despite saying how much I absolutely hate the current "medication" I'm on and the fact I am certainly going to fail all exams if this keeps up, she refuses to do anything about it.

Isn't it nearly 11? I can't even drink tea after 5pm or I won't sleep (coke is fine weirdly) so no chance with a large coffee :p: If you're not sleeping well is it worth a word with your gp?
    Well at least it's something to look forward to. :yep:

Well can you try changing again? Or is that not possible?

It's like 10 minutes to, ages away! I just want to stay awake for a little while longer whilst I'm still motivated, even if I'm normally a crying wreck curled up in the middle of my floor at this time! I'm not today though, so I'll work until I am and then sleep. Nah, I've never slept well TBH. It might be slightly more concerning when I go back to school and have to be up at 7, but for now it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Well at least it's something to look forward to. :yep:

Well can you try changing again? Or is that not possible?

It's like 10 minutes to, ages away! I just want to stay awake for a little while longer whilst I'm still motivated, even if I'm normally a crying wreck curled up in the middle of my floor at this time! I'm not today though, so I'll work until I am and then sleep. Nah, I've never slept well TBH. It might be slightly more concerning when I go back to school and have to be up at 7, but for now it's fine.
    don't think I can change. Honestly I just wish everyone would leave me alone to get on with stuff. The things they force me to take are just making uni and life a million times harder.

That's pretty good you are still motivated today, yeah you should make the most of it to get some work done. Anything different today over other days that you're not feeling bad?

ReputationRep:
    don't think I can change. Honestly I just wish everyone would leave me alone to get on with stuff. The things they force me to take are just making uni and life a million times harder.

That's pretty good you are still motivated today, yeah you should make the most of it to get some work done. Anything different today over other days that you're not feeling bad?
    :hugs: Well do you feel any better since you started them? If not talk to your doctor about alternatives. There are load of alternatives out there, confuses the hell out of me when I'm asked to pick what I want to do!

Hmm, I'm not feeling so great now. I'm probably being incredibly paranoid, but 'friendship' things are getting to me, along with past mistakes that should really be out of my mind by now... Along with exam stuff... Oh well.

I've also spent all day with semi-anorexic thoughts. I do not need a relapse now, but sometimes it seems so much easier because I know what the eventual outcome will be. I'm just so tired of being mentally ill now and just want to be 'normal'.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Well do you feel any better since you started them? If not talk to your doctor about alternatives. There are load of alternatives out there, confuses the hell out of me when I'm asked to pick what I want to do!

Hmm, I'm not feeling so great now. I'm probably being incredibly paranoid, but 'friendship' things are getting to me, along with past mistakes that should really be out of my mind by now... Along with exam stuff... Oh well.

I've also spent all day with semi-anorexic thoughts. I do not need a relapse now, but sometimes it seems so much easier because I know what the eventual outcome will be. I'm just so tired of being mentally ill now and just want to be 'normal'.
    No not at all. I've tried er...14(? something like that) different "medications" and none work so there really isn't that many alternatives left. Only think this one has done is make it even more impossible to concentrate and added 6inches to my jeans. That's why I just want to be left alone, nothing helps, and over the past 3 years I've been seeing doctors everything has only got worse.

That sucks :console: Maybe you should go to sleep if you're only starting to feel worse? like so you don't continue feeling even more worse. As for mistakes...well everyone makes them and if they're in the past there probably isn't all that much you can do about them.

I think everyone just wants to be normal. Have you told your dr you're getting these thoughts? It might be an idea to let him/her know whilst they're still "semi" and you might therefore be able to stop them developing further because yeah you have exams and **** now and you really don't need those thoughts on top of everything else. :hugs:

btw thanks for just talking to me, really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    No not at all. I've tried er...14(? something like that) different "medications" and none work so there really isn't that many alternatives left. Only think this one has done is make it even more impossible to concentrate and added 6inches to my jeans. That's why I just want to be left alone, nothing helps, and over the past 3 years I've been seeing doctors everything has only got worse.

That sucks :console: Maybe you should go to sleep if you're only starting to feel worse? like so you don't continue feeling even more worse. As for mistakes...well everyone makes them and if they're in the past there probably isn't all that much you can do about them.

I think everyone just wants to be normal. Have you told your dr you're getting these thoughts? It might be an idea to let him/her know whilst they're still "semi" and you might therefore be able to stop them developing further because yeah you have exams and **** now and you really don't need those thoughts on top of everything else. :hugs:

btw thanks for just talking to me, really appreciate it
    I was talking more about talking therapies, CBT etc. They may help get to the root of the problem and squash it so you can start feeling better.

I'm feeling kind of 'neutral' now, so I'm going to try the whole 'throw myself into work and hope that it cures everything' until I'm tired. Not very healthy, but I have a lot of work to do.

Well, I went through the whole getting diagnosed and treated for an eating disorder. It meant 2 hour round trips to see people and I can't ask my parents to drive me around more (I still haven't passed my test). I guess I could tell my GP tomorrow :erm: But I really don't want him to weigh me, because I've put on about half a stone recently and whilst he'll be fine with that, I'd rather sweep it under the rug right now.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking more about talking therapies, CBT etc. They may help get to the root of the problem and squash it so you can start feeling better.

I'm feeling kind of 'neutral' now, so I'm going to try the whole 'throw myself into work and hope that it cures everything' until I'm tired. Not very healthy, but I have a lot of work to do.

Well, I went through the whole getting diagnosed and treated for an eating disorder. It meant 2 hour round trips to see people and I can't ask my parents to drive me around more (I still haven't passed my test). I guess I could tell my GP tomorrow :erm: But I really don't want him to weigh me, because I've put on about half a stone recently and whilst he'll be fine with that, I'd rather sweep it under the rug right now.
    Meant to be seeing a psychologist in a few weeks so I'll see then I guess.

If he weighs you why not just ask him not to tell you how much it was but write it down in medical notes without you seeing? Or is that a stupid idea? :p:

good luck with the work. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Meant to be seeing a psychologist in a few weeks so I'll see then I guess.

If he weighs you why not just ask him not to tell you how much it was but write it down in medical notes without you seeing? Or is that a stupid idea? :p:

good luck with the work. :yy:
    :hugs: Just go in with an open mind, this could be the thing that does it!

I just don't want to step on the scales, have people know I've gained weight, it's pretty triggering. I don't need anymore triggers - I burst into tears a few minutes ago because I caught sight of my reflection! It's getting out of hand, but... It's tough because with an ED, there's a part of you who doesn't want to get better. But I don't think this will go away on its own, so...

Thanks, good luck with any work you have to do too! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Just go in with an open mind, this could be the thing that does it!

I just don't want to step on the scales, have people know I've gained weight, it's pretty triggering. I don't need anymore triggers - I burst into tears a few minutes ago because I caught sight of my reflection! It's getting out of hand, but... It's tough because with an ED, there's a part of you who doesn't want to get better. But I don't think this will go away on its own, so...

Thanks, good luck with any work you have to do too! :hugs:
    I got upset when I caught my reflection just now But y'know..I've managed to learn that appearance isn't the be all and end all..and that people don't really bother with other's appearance :yep:

Chin up and focus on your good qualities :yes:

I've felt lonely this eve to be honest..wondering if any special might roll into my life :o: I've found solace in a grilled cheese sandwich :coma:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.