Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey there hope everyone is ok today and this weather may be having a worthwhile good effect on you today!

I had my student disability allowance assessment last week and it went really well, its was a very relaxed interview jsut some questions that needed to be asked but nothing to horrible, as you go through the questions they will look at waht they think you coudl really do with and they will tell you at the end what they will be putting in a claim for.
    For me i ahve been offered a new laptop with office in and a midmapping programme in, am dictaphone, allowance for paper and printer ink, small allowance for books and towards my internet, a mentor, counselling avaliable weekly, and if i want it a note taker (not overly thrilled with that idea)

To be honest if you are about to go to Uni and unsure having depression if you should claim, i would certainly say yes go for it, they will only offer the stuff that you need, so not everyone would get a laptop but it is worth applying jsut so you have stuff set in place to assist you at uni, you may never need to make use of any of it but btter be safe than sorry to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    Ok that's it. I completely refuse to take these poisons any longer. I have an essay to write but I can't think at all because they stop me concentrating and remembering words and joining thoughts together. I also just weighed myself and I'm almost double my weight 3 years ago, ok I used to be a little underweight but not that much but for it to have doubled and none of my jeans or tshirts fit well **** that. I absolutely refuse to take any more of these. Been doing it for 3 years and surprise surprise everything has just got worse. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Stupid f**ing world of mine
    you keep moving the f**ing finish line
    you trick me over here, you hide it over there
    You start another game when you see me starting to care, well
    I don't expect you to hear me say
    I'm gonna chew my way out of your lab rat cage someday

Been given 6 more months of AD's by my doctor, so if its made this much difference after 3 then I should be able to start coming off of them after the 6 :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Been given 6 more months of AD's by my doctor, so if its made this much difference after 3 then I should be able to start coming off of them after the 6 :grin:
    Awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Ok that's it. I completely refuse to take these poisons any longer. I have an essay to write but I can't think at all because they stop me concentrating and remembering words and joining thoughts together. I also just weighed myself and I'm almost double my weight 3 years ago, ok I used to be a little underweight but not that much but for it to have doubled and none of my jeans or tshirts fit well **** that. I absolutely refuse to take any more of these. Been doing it for 3 years and surprise surprise everything has just got worse. :mad:
    i'm coming off mine too. my doc or psychiatrist doesnt know it but im not taking it. well, im lowering the dose because i cant deal with venlafaxine withdrawals :p: my head is so fuzzy on the meds. i feel like a zombie. i have no feelings apart from anger or depression. i want to feel more than that and i cant whilst im medicated up to my eyeballs.

i took 150mg today instead of my usual 225mg. i want to come off it, but im scared what will happen if i do, especially because i have two of the worst placements coming up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melting_snow)
    i'm coming off mine too. my doc or psychiatrist doesnt know it but im not taking it. well, im lowering the dose because i cant deal with venlafaxine withdrawals :p: my head is so fuzzy on the meds. i feel like a zombie. i have no feelings apart from anger or depression. i want to feel more than that and i cant whilst im medicated up to my eyeballs.

i took 150mg today instead of my usual 225mg. i want to come off it, but im scared what will happen if i do, especially because i have two of the worst placements coming up.
    Good luck with that. I came off venlafaxine when I took it without much trouble so hopefully it'll be ok with you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh, I couldn't even book a doctor's appointment today, they're somehow fully booked or something . They said to keeping calling again to try and get a slot, otherwise I won't get my ADs till next week . Ah well, so here I am, once more having to wait for something :sigh:

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Oh my gosh, I couldn't even book a doctor's appointment today, they're somehow fully booked or something . They said to keeping calling again to try and get a slot, otherwise I won't get my ADs till next week . Ah well, so here I am, once more having to wait for something :sigh:
    Keep trying! Ring 1st thing in the morning if you can. Mondays are always busy anyway. I made todays appointment in friday to make sure I got one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Keep trying! Ring 1st thing in the morning if you can. Mondays are always busy anyway. I made todays appointment in friday to make sure I got one.
    Yeah, that's what they told me to do, so I will, thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Hi, mind if I join the Lozeration team? I think only have a week or so left of my subscription, so just thought it might be fun to join in the Lozeration

Hi, mind if I join the Lozeration team? I think only have a week or so left of my subscription, so just thought it might be fun to join in the Lozeration
    No problem, and of course you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    No problem, and of course you can
    Cool, thanks

Cool, thanks
    :grin:

I might need to rant in a bit. Not sure what to say, but I am really feeling like **** tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    :grin:

I might need to rant in a bit. Not sure what to say, but I am really feeling like **** tonight
    :console: Feel free to share. That's only if you want to though. Or I can just leave it with a :jumphug: and hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not sure if I should post this here but its just a little story about how I overcame my depression, I thought it might offer all of you amazing people a bit of hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    I have always been a happy and outgoing person, I have amazing friends and academically I was a bit above average. But when I started 6th form college in 2008, I began falling into a kind of depression anxiety where I convinced myself I had a brain tumour and I was going to die. For 4 months solid I barely slept, I became a nervous wreck, I lost weight, my attendence dropped to 40% because I could'nt face going into college and acting normal when I felt so horrible and empty inside. I cried every day and spent most of my time curled up in a ball in my bed. I quit my job after having a panic attack on the tills and was sick alot. I was then taken to A and E as I had got myself into such a state I passed out and hit my head on a table edge. For me this was a wake up call, I looked at myself and I simply said I cannot go on like this.
    My recovery was slow and yes now and again I relapse into that state, but I remind myself of those dark times and I don't allow myself to go back into it. I remember in my depressive state people telling me I'll get better and things would be ok, I never listened to them as I could see no way out, I just saw a life of misery and pain. BUT this is not true!!!! One day you WILL come out of your depression, and yes you might not be the happiest person ever, but you will feel normal again!!
    I don't expect this to be of much help, I know that when your deep within the depression you can feel like you'll never escape and this is how you will be for ever, but please don't give up hope, it is possible to beat depression and I wish you all luck and I have major respect for you all as I know how hard it is to live a normal life when you are deep in this hole. Keep going guys!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlisquigs)
    Hi, I'm not sure if I should post this here but its just a little story about how I overcame my depression, I thought it might offer all of you amazing people a bit of hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    I have always been a happy and outgoing person, I have amazing friends and academically I was a bit above average. But when I started 6th form college in 2008, I began falling into a kind of depression anxiety where I convinced myself I had a brain tumour and I was going to die. For 4 months solid I barely slept, I became a nervous wreck, I lost weight, my attendence dropped to 40% because I could'nt face going into college and acting normal when I felt so horrible and empty inside. I cried every day and spent most of my time curled up in a ball in my bed. I quit my job after having a panic attack on the tills and was sick alot. I was then taken to A and E as I had got myself into such a state I passed out and hit my head on a table edge. For me this was a wake up call, I looked at myself and I simply said I cannot go on like this.
    My recovery was slow and yes now and again I relapse into that state, but I remind myself of those dark times and I don't allow myself to go back into it. I remember in my depressive state people telling me I'll get better and things would be ok, I never listened to them as I could see no way out, I just saw a life of misery and pain. BUT this is not true!!!! One day you WILL come out of your depression, and yes you might not be the happiest person ever, but you will feel normal again!!
    I don't expect this to be of much help, I know that when your deep within the depression you can feel like you'll never escape and this is how you will be for ever, but please don't give up hope, it is possible to beat depression and I wish you all luck and I have major respect for you all as I know how hard it is to live a normal life when you are deep in this hole. Keep going guys!!
    Thank you for that, and well done on beating this Sometimes we need people to remind us that depression is *just* an illness and it CAN be beaten!

ReputationRep:
    howdee hope everyone is well
    i just had a phone call with those lovely student finance people to clarify funding
    basically i was worried that if i went back to uni next yr and fell ill again that i wudnt be able to do another degree because student finance is only covered for 4 years. The dude said that if you have to suspend ur studies because of medical reasons then this isnt counted and its different from dropping out just coz u didnt like the course.
    has anyone else found this to be the case? im not sure i can trust this dude x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DIVAlaDES)
    howdee hope everyone is well
    i just had a phone call with those lovely student finance people to clarify funding
    basically i was worried that if i went back to uni next yr and fell ill again that i wudnt be able to do another degree because student finance is only covered for 4 years. The dude said that if you have to suspend ur studies because of medical reasons then this isnt counted and its different from dropping out just coz u didnt like the course.
    has anyone else found this to be the case? im not sure i can trust this dude x
    I'm not sure, you'd best ring up someone else, or email, try and get something in writing. I withdrew in April, and they said they would take my loan off me from term 3 last year and give me it this year (only term 3, as that was what I was resitting), but they didn't actually bother. I kept the loan last year, and been absolutely broke this year! :o: Sorry, that didn't help you. But they did say they would.. I just never chased it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlisquigs)
    Great inspiring story, thanks for sharing. Glad you've gotten through it :hugs:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.