Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do people feel about the notions of just "riding it out" and "taking life's lows with it's highs"? Is it optimistic thinking, or rational and founded?

(Original post by SharpDressedMan)
    Was alright I guess :o: I explained to her all the problems/anxieties/anger outbursts I were going through.

It didn't seem like she was taking much in and just throwing clichéd statements back like 'its fine' etc. I did expect that a bit but now I've been forwarded to a counsellor which is good

Felt a bit **** on the way home but treated myself to a steak lunch so I'm alright now

Scared of counselling still though
    I tried out counselling this time last year. Before I went I found the thought incredibly intimidating, even though I thought it was something I had to do. After a few sessions it wasn't bad at all and I found it really nice to talk about some of the things I couldn't with anyone else. I'm even going as far as trying to find somewhere I can get it at an affordable rate. It can be very beneficial, and you can expect a far more sympathetic reponse from them then you recieved from your doc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master.K)
    I can't sleep lately.....the reason for this is because I think during the day how i'm going to sleep at night which prevents me from sleeping.
    Also when i'm in bed, I close my eyes and say to myself i'm gonna sleep but I eventually give up! :facepalm:
    I had 2 hours sleep last night and feel like ****. I've even got exams around the corner, and I can revise or think straight. :cry2:
    Also, I my legs feel shaky and I feel like i've got no energy.

Could someone please give me some tips on how to get to sleep quicker. It took me 4 hours! It's never took me soo long. :eek3:
    If it was me, I'd take some zopiclone to get back into a proper sleep pattern.

Also when you're trying to fall asleep don't tell yourself I'm going to sleep now because then it doesn't work. Don't drink caffeine after like 6pm.

(Original post by allieRAWR!)
    What do people feel about the notions of just "riding it out" and "taking life's lows with it's highs"? Is it optimistic thinking, or rational and founded?
    It probably works for some people, however it definitely doesn't for others everything just gets worse for them the longer they leave it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    If it was me, I'd take some zopiclone to get back into a proper sleep pattern.
    Sleeping pills are the last things I want to have.
    Do they knock you out straight away?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master.K)
    Sleeping pills are the last things I want to have.
    Do they knock you out straight away?:confused:
    Not really, they don't exactly knock you out unless you take a pretty big dose. A small dose you can easily stay awake from if you try, but if you take it then get into bed and just relax it makes it a lot easier to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a good policy for normal highs and normal lows, but not for mental illness.

It's kind of like the buddhist concept of mindfulness I guess which I've heard mentioned a lot in this context. I think you're just meant to accept that you feel low and that it will pass. But thats very difficult and inaccurate in the face of chronic depression.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear you're alright.

I'm not bad, been feeling awful past few days trying to get an essay done and finally finished it at 5am this morning. woo.
    That's good. Do you have exams this year?

ReputationRep:
    :sad:
    So demotivated and I couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan122)
    That's good. Do you have exams this year?
    Sadly yes. Fairly sure I'm going to fail. Ah well.

How about you?

(Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :sad:
    So demotivated and I couldn't care less.
    Know the feeling well. Do not know what to suggest other than possibly as deadlines draw near it might motivate you a bit more. Well...you can hope I guess. :console:

ReputationRep:
    :cry:
    I'm definitely relapsing with my eating disorder. Why can't I have one problem at a time, I could deal with it then and be sorted by the end of the week and feeling okay again, but all together... I just don't think I can cope.

ReputationRep:
    Know the feeling well. Do not know what to suggest other than possibly as deadlines draw near it might motivate you a bit more. Well...you can hope I guess. :console:
    The exam's in 3 weeks and I'm only half way through the learning. I could have it finished by now, but I wasted the weekend and am mid-going insane right now. Stupid, stupid mind.

How're you?

ReputationRep:
    :cry:
    I'm definitely relapsing with my eating disorder. Why can't I have one problem at a time, I could deal with it then and be sorted by the end of the week and feeling okay again, but all together... I just don't think I can cope.
    :hugs:

The exam's in 3 weeks and I'm only half way through the learning. I could have it finished by now, but I wasted the weekend and am mid-going insane right now. Stupid, stupid mind.

How're you?
    3 weeks is still a fair while, it's not an impossible deadline. Do you know what's stopping you?

I'm alright thanks, feeling so much better I got that essay done. Seeing a psychologist tomorrow, bit nervous about it, but meh.

ReputationRep:

3 weeks is still a fair while, it's not an impossible deadline. Do you know what's stopping you?

I'm alright thanks, feeling so much better I got that essay done. Seeing a psychologist tomorrow, bit nervous about it, but meh.
    Thanks. Hmm, I hope so :erm: I procrastinate a lot and only work well in a library. But I've not been looking after myself properly (due to above reasons), so could not concentrate. Going to have a lot to talk with the doctor about tomorrow. I just can't see how talking therapy is going to help, especially given that I'll have to wait ages for the appointment to come through (not doubt it'll be after exams), then annoy my parents by being driven the hour or so there for all of 3 appointments I'll have and then never go again... I'm supposed to have CBT with the person who was doing the assessments, but I won't tell him everything I just don't feel I can.

:hugs: I hope it goes well for you.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly yes. Fairly sure I'm going to fail. Ah well.

How about you?
    Yeah, starting next week. 50% for a pass, I'm not aiming any higher than that :p:

I hope your exams go well, I'll be thinking of you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, starting next week. 50% for a pass, I'm not aiming any higher than that :p:

I hope your exams go well, I'll be thinking of you.

next week? wow that's early! Good luck! Are you prepared?

I've still got a while yet, like a month or something, but thanks.

Thanks. Hmm, I hope so :erm: I procrastinate a lot and only work well in a library. But I've not been looking after myself properly (due to above reasons), so could not concentrate. Going to have a lot to talk with the doctor about tomorrow. I just can't see how talking therapy is going to help, especially given that I'll have to wait ages for the appointment to come through (not doubt it'll be after exams), then annoy my parents by being driven the hour or so there for all of 3 appointments I'll have and then never go again... I'm supposed to have CBT with the person who was doing the assessments, but I won't tell him everything I just don't feel I can.

:hugs: I hope it goes well for you.
    Going to the doctor definitely sounds like a good idea. Talking therapy can help I had it for a while and the woman was really nice and it was just nice to have someone I could say what was going on to without them falling out with me or being annoying or anything, you are probably right though the waiting lists on the nhs are huge.

I don't think it will annoy your parents really....parents generally want what's best for their kids and if that means driving you to talking therapy then I'd imagine they'd do it. CBT can be helpful but yeah it is a lot of work, though maybe if you got used to opening up with talking therapy you might find it easier to open up with the CBT guy?

I know it's difficult when you feel like ****, but revising for exams takes a lot of energy so your body needs more looking after when you're trying to revise. I don't really know anything about eating disorders but would it be easier to just eat a little bit but often? Because I'd guess a huge meal would be kind of offputting but you do need the energy. I dunno. Sorry if that's not helpful.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sabertooth]next week? wow that's early! Good luck! Are you prepared?/QUOTE]

Nope. :P

ReputationRep:
    Nope. :P
    oops. :p:

You seem like a bright guy, I'm sure I remember something about Oxford and you.

ReputationRep:
    N/a

ReputationRep:
    Just had a nice conversation with a friend, feel ok tonight *sigh of relief*
    Also have been emailing someone over Samaritans the past 2 days, and that feels good =)
    I've enquired into two places that offer counselling either free or very cheap.

I feel okay. Scared about the next few days because it could all return and it hurts so much I don't want that, but hey, appreciate the moment of peace and take each hour (not even day!) as it comes, right?
    Good to hear it. Yeah, little steps is the way forward!

ReputationRep:
    Going to the doctor definitely sounds like a good idea. Talking therapy can help I had it for a while and the woman was really nice and it was just nice to have someone I could say what was going on to without them falling out with me or being annoying or anything, you are probably right though the waiting lists on the nhs are huge.
    I'm just not sure it'll make any difference in the time I have (IF I get into uni).
    I don't think it will annoy your parents really....parents generally want what's best for their kids and if that means driving you to talking therapy then I'd imagine they'd do it. CBT can be helpful but yeah it is a lot of work, though maybe if you got used to opening up with talking therapy you might find it easier to open up with the CBT guy?
    They seems to get annoyed driving me to my ED appointments, afterall they have to take time off work. The CBT is only until the talking therapy and I really don't get on with him TBH.
    I know it's difficult when you feel like ****, but revising for exams takes a lot of energy so your body needs more looking after when you're trying to revise. I don't really know anything about eating disorders but would it be easier to just eat a little bit but often? Because I'd guess a huge meal would be kind of offputting but you do need the energy. I dunno. Sorry if that's not helpful.
    If I'm hungry I'll eat, I'm not at the stage in relapse where I get scared of meals, and have pretty much returned to normal - I'm getting quite good at nipping relapses in the bud.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my GP appointment at 5.20pm today, and I am feeling really nervous :afraid:. I dunno why, it's just weird talking about my problems anywhere apart from the internet, kinda weird of me . Plus, as some of you might know, they haven't really been helping me all that much since my last visit in January. I still haven't been called for counselling :sigh:, I guess I'll talk to them about that, as well as hopefully getting some anti depressants.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.