The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKIII

Scroll to see replies

Sabertooth
Er...I wouldn't worry about the drinking thing too much if you're going to Tunisia; it's a Muslim country so drinking isn't really regarded in the same way as in Britain. They're a bit funny about women drinking from what I've heard.

Good :biggrin:
Hope you are well today
Hey, those of you who've had counselling, what's it like exactly? What was your first session in particular? And how long does it take till you start to get better? I've not started yet but hopefully it's getting sorted very soon. My doctor wouldn't allow me ADs, so counselling is my only alternative for now, hopefully it's all good though :smile:.
I started back on my pills yday and today I'm nauseous and can't stop shaking at times :argh:
Reply 5263
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Hey, those of you who've had counselling, what's it like exactly? What was your first session in particular? And how long does it take till you start to get better? I've not started yet but hopefully it's getting sorted very soon. My doctor wouldn't allow me ADs, so counselling is my only alternative for now, hopefully it's all good though :smile:.

I think it can be however you want it to be really. You share as much as you want to share. That was my experience of it anyway.

I feel crap again today. Weekends are kind of depressing. Two days off work would be great if I had something to do. Or someone to do something with. But I think this weekend will just be two days of emptiness.
I swear my mother will be the death of me.
Psyk
I think it can be however you want it to be really. You share as much as you want to share. That was my experience of it anyway.

I feel crap again today. Weekends are kind of depressing. Two days off work would be great if I had something to do. Or someone to do something with. But I think this weekend will just be two days of emptiness.

OK, thanks for the reply :smile:. Sorry to hear that you're feeling low :console:. I'm sure you could think of loads to do? TV/DVDs? Cinema? Walk? Swimming? Bowling? Shopping? Painting? Driving? Sorry, I don't really know your interests, just thought I'd drop a few suggestions if you want. Don't you have family or friends you could hang out with? If not, hanging on your own can be fun too, I don't mind it myself. I kinda like weekends, just a nice rest, it's school days that make me depressed. Anyway, hope you have a good weekend. :smile:
Reply 5266
CherryCherryBoomBoom
OK, thanks for the reply :smile:. Sorry to hear that you're feeling low :console:. I'm sure you could think of loads to do? TV/DVDs? Cinema? Walk? Swimming? Bowling? Shopping? Painting? Driving? Sorry, I don't really know your interests, just thought I'd drop a few suggestions if you want. Don't you have family or friends you could hang out with? If not, hanging on your own can be fun too, I don't mind it myself. I kinda like weekends, just a nice rest, it's school days that make me depressed. Anyway, hope you have a good weekend. :smile:

Yeah I could do those things (except TV and driving), but I just don't really get much enjoyment out of doing any of those things by myself. No family or friends I could hang out with, at least not withouth a long and expensive train journey.
Feeling proper rubbish today. two uni rejections in two days isnt a great start. Everything is just so crap right now, and my jealousy is eating away at me. I wish I was a different person.
CherryCherryBoomBoom

I've had a bit of counselling before, in the first couple of months moving to Uni. Its just a chance to make sense of your emotions and what you are feeling as well as a chance to get things of your chest freely and confidentially...like writing in a diary but with someone to listen to it without judging you :smile: . Peronally I found it very helpful in terms of understanding why I was feeling they way I was feeling and I did notice a difference in myself from my first session to the last. Unfortunately my Uni only offered a limited number of sessions and I failed to get through my list of problems in that time lol. However concerning the problems I did talk about I have noticed and improvement. I'm on the waiting list for some more counselling/therapy...still waiting to hear back from my doctor though. I'd recommend it but obviously the more open you are to it the more you may find that you benefit from it.

I feel like ranting a bit now....just fed up with things right now...people...revision...me...I just seem to cause nothing but trouble for people. I need to grow a back bone, I've let people walk all over me for too long but I just don't know how to say no or shake off manipulators...some people just know what buttons to push to make me feel bad and do what they want. I've never hated life so much right now and yet there are people worse off than me.
CherryCherryBoomBoom

I think it depends very much on the counsellor you get. My first two were kind of useless, I just never felt comfortable with them and they didn't seem to "get" me at all. The third one totally understood where I was coming from and I think actually having someone to talk to every week was pretty beneficial, though I had to stop after 4 sessions as I left that university which was a shame.

As for the first session, I found they generally asked you loads of questions to get an idea of what's going on whereas later sessions tend to be more directed by you.
RachelOranges
I feel like ranting a bit now....just fed up with things right now...people...revision...me...I just seem to cause nothing but trouble for people. I need to grow a back bone, I've let people walk all over me for too long but I just don't know how to say no or shake off manipulators...some people just know what buttons to push to make me feel bad and do what they want. I've never hated life so much right now and yet there are people worse off than me.

Don't worry about other people feeling worse because it doesn't detract from the fact you feel ****. Know what you mean about being fed up. Hmmm...obviously I don't know you so can't really say about the backbone thing except that yes lots of people do just use others, though it's not necessarily your fault, and saying no certainly isn't always easy to do. Could you start small and work it up? You might find that easier to do maybe.
On thursday, I actually spoke to someone at university. She was really friendly, we were talking for ages and even sat by me and borrowed a pen in the lecture :eek: When we were standing outside waiting for class she was smoking, and I cannot get it out of my head now. I know it sounds stupid, I haven't smoked in a number of years but **** me it smelt good and now I keep getting recurring urges about how nice it would be and how much it would help me relax. I'm so wound up right now, everything seems to be getting worse day by day, I really just want something to relax with. Alcohol only helps a limited amount.
Sabertooth
Don't worry about other people feeling worse because it doesn't detract from the fact you feel ****. Know what you mean about being fed up. Hmmm...obviously I don't know you so can't really say about the backbone thing except that yes lots of people do just use others, though it's not necessarily your fault, and saying no certainly isn't always easy to do. Could you start small and work it up? You might find that easier to do maybe.

Yeah I'm trying to start small, its just really hard to break a habit of a life time. I just feel trapped by it though, I just want to break free from it but its just the how which is bugging me.
Reply 5273
Has anyone else found seeing a psychiatrist more stressful than its worth? I swear its detrimental to my mental health.
RachelOranges
Yeah, pretty much in the same position as you in terms of revision and having so much to get through, half the time I just feel like sleeping. My holiday is drawing closer and closer and I'm just freaking out about it. Normal people would look forward to going away but I'm just so scared :frown: . I need to get a grip...

:hugs:

We'll get through this :yep:

---

Had the last part of my Biology practical exam yesterday and ended up having an anxiety attack, despite the fact that it's only about 10-15% of my A level and I can afford to get a C... I've also had 13 hours sleep and am just as tired as when I went to sleep. :coffee:
Sabertooth
On thursday, I actually spoke to someone at university. She was really friendly, we were talking for ages and even sat by me and borrowed a pen in the lecture :eek: When we were standing outside waiting for class she was smoking, and I cannot get it out of my head now. I know it sounds stupid, I haven't smoked in a number of years but **** me it smelt good and now I keep getting recurring urges about how nice it would be and how much it would help me relax. I'm so wound up right now, everything seems to be getting worse day by day, I really just want something to relax with. Alcohol only helps a limited amount.

:hugs: You've done really well to not have smoked in so long, don't let all that hard work go to waste - having given up is a huge achievment and smoking is becoming more and more of an antisocial thing nowadays. Just try to keep up the good work, your body and wallet will thank you!
Had an exam at uni yesterday. I felt dissapointed afterwards because I missed out a lot of questions and my mind just completely went blank as soon as I opened the paper.

Then I thought to myself is I could really pass year 1 of uni. I only have 3 exams left and I really don't want to screw up on the exams. I'm scared of being kicked out of uni, since uni is the only place I've always wanted to go. I also thought of what's the point of me being in uni if I was to do bad in this test and the remaining exams.

There is also the pressure of doing well in the exams because I want to transfer unis for the second year, and if I don't pass then thats all that effort wasted. My parents also have high expectations of me doing well.
Saffie
Has anyone else found seeing a psychiatrist more stressful than its worth? I swear its detrimental to my mental health.

Maybe it has to get worse before it can better. Or at least that's what my GP said to me when I told her I'd stopped going to mine because it was making things worse.

----

Flat hunting is soooo stressul it's really getting me close to a nervous breakdown every time I see another crappy place. Everything has gone up in price, and there aren't as many flats available as other years, and time is running out! I just want to tear my hear out and scream! :o:
Reply 5278
Zebrastripes
Maybe it has to get worse before it can better. Or at least that's what my GP said to me when I told her I'd stopped going to mine because it was making things worse.

I've seen him lots of times and it was never helpful. And now have to go back and its really stressing me out.

I've spent my day watching Benjamin Button and crying a lot. Great.
I live with a bunch of savages. Everything on my shelf in the fridge is covered with raw chicken juices. I have a massive phobia of chicken germs (I will not prepare it (last time I did I wore surgical gloves) and a bit funny about eating it) and these ******** don't know basic food hygiene, like I've seen them cutting raw chicken on the work top and not cleaning it, or not washing their hands after touching raw chicken then touching taps, kettle, fridge handle etc but this is a step further and it's not the first time it's happened either just the first time I worked out what the **** all over my stuff was, I just feel incredibly sick.

I know it probably sounds like a huge overreaction, but this has really really got to me. I've been crying for the last 4 hours because of all the **** going through my head being hugely exacerbated by this and finding it extremely hard not to act on what's happening in my head. I can't even explain it, you'll all probably be laughing at me but it's like one thing I absolutely ******* hate (other than spiders....). So mad and sickened and sorry just needed to write it somewhere so I don't drive myself up the wall seething over it.

Latest