Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depression Society MKIII watch

Announcements

(Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :hugs: Right, the reasons show that you know your stuff, try another paper tomorrow and see how you do, if there's a trend in your mistakes you know how to sort it. If you do well, then it was just an odd paper.

Sometimes you can do loads of work and hit a brick wall, but after you hit it you have to pick yourself back up and climb over the wall - it usually turns out to only be a small one anyway. You can do this, don't give up and you'll make it :yep:
    Its not just this paper, its all the other papers as well. I only have one more recent paper to do anyway so I'm gonna have to go back over the other ones which I don't think is going to be very efficient. The questions in maths can vary so, so much but I sort of have no choice. I've managed to stop myself from being hysterical anyway. I haven't cried like that in a while :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Its not just this paper, its all the other papers as well. I only have one more recent paper to do anyway so I'm gonna have to go back over the other ones which I don't think is going to be very efficient. The questions in maths can vary so, so much but I sort of have no choice. I've managed to stop myself from being hysterical anyway. I haven't cried like that in a while http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/sad.gif
    :hugs: You WILL get this. Have you tried the writing out the correct answer in red/different coloured pen technique? It does help to remind you of all those different intricate techniques and methods maths has.

:hugs: You WILL get this. Have you tried the writing out the correct answer in red/different coloured pen technique? It does help to remind you of all those different intricate techniques and methods maths has.
    I have but the mark scheme is so vauge that it is no help whatsoever :sad: I wish I just took psychology now tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I have but the mark scheme is so vauge that it is no help whatsoever http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/sad.gif I wish I just took psychology now tbh.
    Then ask the maths lot on the revision thread to help you decipher it, they should understand what it means. I know what you mean though, they are so confusing!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I give in. I need sleep. If I don't go to sleep now I'll end up unable to sleep until 6/7am. Oh and looks like I've decided I'm not going into school tomorrow, I just don't think I can face it.

Then ask the maths lot on the revision thread to help you decipher it, they should understand what it means. I know what you mean though, they are so confusing!
    I have, and they're looking at it atm.

ReputationRep:
    I shouldn't listen to sad music at night, it just makes me cry...

ReputationRep:
    OMG, I am actually bricking it about this Textiles exam. I'm really not sure about my design I'm going to do, and it's in 8 hours time . Stupid me :wallbash:, I really should have this sorted by now :facepalm2:. I have a few themes in mind, and I'm just going to flick through DeviantArt hoping for inspiration. Urgh, I need to hurry though. FML.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    OMG, I am actually bricking it about this Textiles exam. I'm really not sure about my design I'm going to do, and it's in 8 hours time . Stupid me :wallbash:, I really should have this sorted by now :facepalm2:. I have a few themes in mind, and I'm just going to flick through DeviantArt hoping for inspiration. Urgh, I need to hurry though. FML.
    Deviantart sounds like a good idea, I hope it goes ok for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Deviantart sounds like a good idea, I hope it goes ok for you.
    KK, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Only had about 3-4 hours of sleep. I'm skiving school today because I don't think I can handle it and it gives me time to attempt to get up to a B in History :erm:

ReputationRep:
    6 days to do a years worth of coursework. Yay. Thank god I passed last years units maybe then I will have a chance of at least passing this course overall. I cant face college today. I will just get shouted at by lecturers and just get loads of comments like last week about how I dont deserve my place at uni. I worked ******* hard last year to make sure I did well. Not my fault my depression and ed had to come back at the same time and 10 times worse than before.
    Its actually been a **** college year and I'm glad its gona be over next week. No more *****y people over summer making it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalou098)
    6 days to do a years worth of coursework. Yay. Thank god I passed last years units maybe then I will have a chance of at least passing this course overall. I cant face college today. I will just get shouted at by lecturers and just get loads of comments like last week about how I dont deserve my place at uni. I worked ******* hard last year to make sure I did well. Not my fault my depression and ed had to come back at the same time and 10 times worse than before.
    Its actually been a **** college year and I'm glad its gona be over next week. No more *****y people over summer making it worse.
    :hugs:
    I know how you feel, except my ED came back for ASs and then this for A2s. I thoroughly believe my mind hates me :rolleyes:

6 days is enough to do the work :yep: I'm a big fan of cramming at the moment and whilst it's not a great idea, you can do it! A level coursework tends to be terribly formulaic, plug the stuff you need into it and you get the grade.

You do deserve your uni place, ignore the ignorant idiots, they have no clue what you're dealing with. Just work to prove them wrong and get away from them You CAN do this! :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I didn't know that there was a thread on TSR like this one. I think it's great! It would just give my boyfriend some breathing space instead of depending on him mainly for emotional support whenever I felt like receding into myself or whenever I felt sad.

Anyway, I've just recently been to the doctor and he reckons that I have mild-to-moderate depression and am displaying great number of anxiety symptoms. Although my doctor has never fully labelled me as a person suffering from depression (i don't think doctors do that anyway), he wanted me to start on citalopram but I didn't want to start on it and would prefer to see if I could deal with my problems without taking any medication first for the next couple of weeks just to see how I get on without. Is this a wise choice? My doctor looked slightly offended when I rejected it but I might be reading too much into this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haidoreru)
    Hi, I didn't know that there was a thread on TSR like this one. I think it's great! It would just give my boyfriend some breathing space instead of depending on him mainly for emotional support whenever I felt like receding into myself or whenever I felt sad.

Anyway, I've just recently been to the doctor and he reckons that I have mild-to-moderate depression and am displaying great number of anxiety symptoms. Although my doctor has never fully labelled me as a person suffering from depression (i don't think doctors do that anyway), he wanted me to start on citalopram but I didn't want to start on it and would prefer to see if I could deal with my problems without taking any medication first for the next couple of weeks just to see how I get on without. Is this a wise choice? My doctor looked slightly offended when I rejected it but I might be reading too much into this...
    Heya. I don't think anyone can really tell you if you're doing the right or wrong thing.
    I know from my own experience that I took fluoxetine for 3 weeks and felt much worse physically and emotionally and it was really bad. Now I'm a week into taking citalopram and haven't really had any side effects which is good. The good effects can take up to 6 weeks to appear so I'm going to keep at it. But my depression's pretty severe and I know I can't sort it out myself. Also with exams coming up, I wanted to start medication asap.

I think antidepressants are meant to help 60-70% of depressed people but it's a case of finding the one that works for you and that sometimes means trying ineffective ones first.

How are you intending on dealing with stuff without the medication? I want ideas.. anyway I hope whatever you do works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Heya. I don't think anyone can really tell you if you're doing the right or wrong thing.
    I know from my own experience that I took fluoxetine for 3 weeks and felt much worse physically and emotionally and it was really bad. Now I'm a week into taking citalopram and haven't really had any side effects which is good. The good effects can take up to 6 weeks to appear so I'm going to keep at it. But my depression's pretty severe and I know I can't sort it out myself. Also with exams coming up, I wanted to start medication asap.

I think antidepressants are meant to help 60-70% of depressed people but it's a case of finding the one that works for you and that sometimes means trying ineffective ones first.

How are you intending on dealing with stuff without the medication? I want ideas.. anyway I hope whatever you do works.

My depression isn't as severe although I did go through a period of having suicidal thoughts about a month ago and I did actually try to cut my own wrists (really bad and extremely low times - :'( - it hurts to even think about it and seeing my boyfriend cry when he found me in my room after having cut my wrist). That's why I've been telling myself that I have to be strong, for myself and for my boyfriend and my family and everyone whom I know cares for me...

I also didn't want to go on medication just yet for fear of developing some side effects which I don't need at the moment since I have a 5,000 word essay due in next week, which I've not even started... Even though my condition has perhaps affected my work progress, I still didnt want to deal with the extra pressure and stress of having side effects while having an essay due in next week which could potentially decide my entire degree classification. I read about how antidepressants don't work until after a few weeks... so I actually thought that if I really needed medication, then I would prefer to take it after my essay deadline and whatever side effects that could happen to me (like headaches, nausea, etc...), I would have the time to deal with it.

Anyway, I've been doing quite a bit of 'selective thinking'. Whenever I start thinking negatively about myself or the situation, I force myself to oppose that negative thought and think / visualise to myself what positive points could be read from the situation. For example, one of my negative thoughts is "I feel that no one loves and cares for me and I'm all alone". Which, in retrospect, is massively a negative thought based on no grounds at all. So, I force myself to nitpick at my negative thought and in the end I was able to pull myself out of thinking negatively in that particular moment.

I've been going to the gym and doing intense cardio exercises as well. I think running helps as I usually end up too tired to be thinking about anything negatively (I ran about 10 km just two days ago). Also, it helps to follow a really strict daily schedule, so that I wouldnt have time to sit idly by or to give in to lying in bed without having any motivation to do anything... I always think to myself, "I must stick to my schedule - no questions asked", even though sometimes I would just prefer to stay in bed and cry and be scared.

sometimes, it all does become too much though and I give myself some time to mope / cry a bit just to get some physical and emotional release but even this I try to keep to a minimum.

Basically, I've been imposing a lot of order and strict rules to my daily routine.. I don't know if it will help in the long run... but at least I no longer consciously think that I don't have the energy to do things but am just thinking "I must follow my schedule".

And whenever I feel like I'm about to 'crash' (it's how I call it), I've learnt to distract myself with a good tv programme and even if I don't feel like watching it, I just force myself to concentrate, and eventually the feeling goes away... or goes numb, really.

I've also started keeping a "happy thoughts" diary as well, where I write down all sorts of things which I've done or seen or thought of during the day which makes me happy. I flip through this to remind myself of happier things in life whenever I feel very very low...

It also helps to talk to people though, although at the moment, my boyfriend and my doctor are the ones who knows about my situation... I'm going to bring myself to see a counsellor this week....

My doctor also showed me this website http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Depr...Help-Guide.htm

There're also lots of articles on it, which could be relevant.

It might seem a little... well... pathetic and unhelpful... going to a website to look up ways to deal with depression... but sometimes it does help.

Anyway, this is quite a long read. Sorry. And I also hope that some of the stuff I've said could help you. I think the best out of the lot is the "happy thoughts" diary because... it helps in moments of emergency like when I felt really, really down and just felt like crying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haidoreru)
    x
    That is a long reply!
    Yep it sounds like you've made a good decision waiting a week or two to start medication. Good luck with the essay.
    That link looks quite good, thanks. I think your advice is quite good really although it's probably hard to follow once you're severely depressed. But I think forcing ourselves to do things and question our negative thoughts is always worth trying, even if really hard.

I don't think I could ever follow a proper schedule but I guess I'll try to make more effort to plan things and force myself to do them. At the moment the only things I really plan and follow through are doctors appointments.

ReputationRep:
    Feel quite low, which means that by the end of today I'll probably be a sobbing mess on the floor. I have a GP appointment at 5:30... I just know that I'm getting worse and worse and I need to stop this downwards spiral for exams, if I fail my exams I may just end up doing 'something stupid' - academics is all I have left and the only thing making me put one foot in front of the other, no matter how very slowly, is the thought that I could be at uni at the end of September...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    That is a long reply!
    Yep it sounds like you've made a good decision waiting a week or two to start medication. Good luck with the essay.
    That link looks quite good, thanks. I think your advice is quite good really although it's probably hard to follow once you're severely depressed. But I think forcing ourselves to do things and question our negative thoughts is always worth trying, even if really hard.

I don't think I could ever follow a proper schedule but I guess I'll try to make more effort to plan things and force myself to do them. At the moment the only things I really plan and follow through are doctors appointments.
    Yea, I didn't mean for my reply to be that long but once I started typing, I had a lot to say. :p: I probably shouldnt be procrastinating on TSR and should really concentrate on my essay. Thanks for wishing my luck though! I need it. I'm planning to finish it by friday as my birthday's this weekend.. I guess that's probably why I'm a little more cheerful today.

Yes, sometimes my advice can be very hard to follow once you're depressed.. Do you have anyone to talk to when you're feeling down? Like a close friend, sibling or boyfriend? Cos it helps too when you have someone to call and talk to when you're feeling low, without having to make an appointment like you would a doctor or counsellor. My boyfriend is the only one here who knows about my condition so I do try to call him whenever I feel depressed and we talk either about my situation or just something really silly to distract me. He wants me to call him anyway, whenever I feel low; I guess he's been keeping an eye on me ever since what happened a month ago.. I usually feel a lot better after giving vent to my feelings and then have the motivation to do the things I've recommended..

So, does anyone close to you know about your condition?

ReputationRep:
    Feel quite low, which means that by the end of today I'll probably be a sobbing mess on the floor. I have a GP appointment at 5:30... I'm going to try and ask if I can go back on antidepressants, but I probably won't actually SAY that, because I'm unlikely to physically be able to say it... I just know that I'm getting worse and worse and I need to stop this downwards spiral for exams, if I fail my exams I may just end up doing 'something stupid' - academics is all I have left and the only thing making me put one foot in front of the other, no matter how very slowly, is the thought that I could be at uni at the end of September...
    First of all, :hugs: .

Maybe it will be easier for you if you don't actually say that you want to go on antidepressants since you're saying that you find it difficult to tell the doctor. Just tell your doctor about how you're feeling at the moment and he/ she would know what to do / advice you on what to so. Just tell him / her what you've said to us here.

Please don't do 'something stupid' though - if I'm reading into this correctly - even if things don't go as planned. :'( It's really not worth it. I've tried and seeing the people whom I love and care for cry really hurts more, tbh. There's really no going back if you do so... and there's a lot more to life than just academics, to be honest, even if academics don't go according to plan.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.