Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)
    Today was the second time I went to my GP about my depression. The first time he referred me to a 'child' psychologist (she wasn't much help) but lately things had gotten a lot worse so I went back to him.

Here's how it went :rolleyes:

Dr H: So tell me about how you've been feeling lately.
    Me: Um, well... Really really low... and I... just feel...
    *Nokia ring tone*
    Dr H: Oh! Sorry, one moment please *pulls phone out of pocket and answers* Oh, Hi! Yes... Great!... Yes... Yes...
    Me:
    *five minuets later*
    Dr H: At what time...? 9:00--right! Well, hang on... Let me get her whilst I'm on the phone to you! *Gets up and leaves the room*
    Me: :sigh:
    Complain, what a ****.

--

:nothing: Motivation... come back please...

ReputationRep:
    I can't do this :cry: I'm going to fail my course :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Cut again. ******* hurts. My wrist won't stop stinging... Ouch.

Can I ask if anyone has ever been on ADs? I'm tempted to ask for some but I've heard you can some undesirable side effects and seeing as I'm only 16 it's highly unlikely my Dr will be willing to prescribe them to me

It won't seem like a big deal to some but I'm doing my GCSEs right now and I'm failing them badly. I've had a week to do revision and I've done nothing. I feel like I've given up. A part of me does care about passing but another part just feels like chucking the towel in. I always worry about the future and applying to uni with the grades I'm heading towards getting and I know I can't be succsessful at this rate.

I have about 6 exams next week and I want this to be all over so I can atleast do well in something. I want ADs to make me better. And to make my Mum's life better as well... I made her cry yesterday :cry: I haven't spoken to any of my friends in about a week. The only time I've left the house is to go to the doctors. I'm a bad person in general. If I don't get better soon I don't see the point in living like this :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)
    Can I ask if anyone has ever been on ADs? I'm tempted to ask for some but I've heard you can some undesirable side effects and seeing as I'm only 16 it's highly unlikely my Dr will be willing to prescribe them to me

It won't seem like a big deal to some but I'm doing my GCSEs right now and I'm failing them badly. I've had a week to do revision and I've done nothing. I feel like I've given up. A part of me does care about passing but another part just feels like chucking the towel in. I always worry about the future and applying to uni with the grades I'm heading towards getting and I know I can't be succsessful at this rate.

I have about 6 exams next week and I want this to be all over so I can atleast do well in something. I want ADs to make me better. And to make my Mum's life better as well... I made her cry yesterday :cry: I haven't spoken to any of my friends in about a week. The only time I've left the house is to go to the doctors. I'm a bad person in general. If I don't get better soon I don't see the point in living like this :no:
    You can ask, but I wasn't allowed them because I'm under 21, so under 18 I don't know but it's up to the doctor.

Also, they probably won't help in time for your exams unfortunately, they take a good few weeks to kick in and when I was on them (2 locums prescribed them to me before my GP came back and took me off them, I was only on them for a very short while) I had 2 weeks of hell (well, it was hell then, I've since gotten worse haha) and I literally couldn't do anything. I got pretty much all of the side effects on the leaflet (apart from the serious ones haha). They changed me to another one and I was fine within a few days, but I'm just pointing out that you really don't want to be given ones your body may not react to well this close to exams.

As for the exams: go to your exams officer ASAP, tell them what's going on, get a letter from your GP and then you can apply to special circumstances. It doesn't count for much, but it does help a little. Also, it means your school/sixth form will probably be more likely to explain to unis why you didn't do as well as you could have (if that happens, you may surprise yourself) when you come to applying to unis.

:hugs: It will improve and get better and there is a point in living - you'll get through this and will be able to enjoy life again, you've just got to let the doctors do what they can.

I know it's not totally comparable, but when I was taking my GCSEs, I was struggling with an eating disorder and I didn't get too far below my predicted grades so you may surprise yourself you can never tell. :console:

I highly doubt that you are a bad person, that's just your depression making you thinkthat and when you get better you'll see that you are in fact a good person :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)

I'm currently on my fifth antidepressant, and so far it's the only one to have any sort of effect. It's very hit or miss whether you get something that works for you. Same with side-effects - some pills I was on did nothing, others gave me horrible side-effects, there's no way of telling what they'll do to you until you actually take them. I've heard if you're under 18 it's pretty unlikely you'll get prescribed them, but it can't hurt to ask.

Good luck with your exams, hopefully you'll do better than you think.

I'm sure you're not a bad person. The fact that you feel bad about hurting your mum shows that you obviously care a lot. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)

My experience of this recently is that being under 18 they are very really reluctant to give them to you. My GP didn't want to put me on anything, I'd seen about 3 doctors and then 2 counsellors before I was put in front of the kind of doctor that could really help me and even they felt I didn't need them, and because I didn't really express a desire to be on them, I wasn't pushed to be on them.

ADs take weeks to kick and also during exam time, they don't really want to be experimenting like that. It sounds like you have a lack of motivation which is what I have atm :hugs: But you can do it. You will actually probably do better than you think. Your GCSEs will finish soon, so maybe you should see how you feel after them :yep: and you are definitely not a bad person, you're sensible because you've seen a doctor which is good, what kind of things is he/she saying?

(Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Hmmm, you're right but I'm scared depression sound like some lame excuse. I mean, I'm not the only one--this is one of the most popular societies and people have (obviously) been through worse than me.

You might be right, things might get better but sorry, I don't see it happening right now. However, I do see it might be too early for medication and very inconvenient for me right now, so thanks :hugs:

(Original post by superwolf)
    That's what I'm afraid of... things not working out. I just have to hope I find something that's right for me I guess.
    But anyway, thank you for your reply :hugs: it means a lot.

(Original post by natty_d)
    Yeah, being under 18 is the biggest problem for me, so for now I'm seeing a psycologist. My Doctor admitted he didn't know the best way to help me and I think that's why he referred me the first time. He said medication could become an option in the future if all else fails, so he wasn't completely against the idea. Plus, I feel they could be my only chance at getting better (even with all the side effects) and do want them... but we'll have to see.
    and thanks :hugs:

------

Unfortunately I don't think counselling will help. I hate talking to people and it's not because I'm a private person, I'll write you down my whole life story if you want but there would be no point. I just see it as pointless (for me) Psycologists, therapists, shrinks whatever you call them... aren't for me I'm afraid :no: Anyway, I'll see how my next meeting with the psyc goes anyway...

Again, thanks for the replies :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)
    Hmmm, you're right but I'm scared depression sound like some lame excuse. I mean, I'm not the only one--this is one of the most popular societies and people have (obviously) been through worse than me.

Unfortunately I don't think counselling will help. I hate talking to people and it's not because I'm a private person, I'll write you down my whole life story if you want but there would be no point. I just see it as pointless (for me) Psycologists, therapists, shrinks whatever you call them... aren't for me I'm afraid :no: Anyway, I'll see how my next meeting with the psyc goes anyway...

It's not in any way a lame excuse! I thought this too, but my school have taken it really seriously - I've not been to lessons since February because of it, yet they're letting me sit the exams, they've written to my firm and insurance unis telling them what's been going on (it's highly unlikely now that I'll meet either of my offers) and have been great with support. :yep:

I've never thought counselling would work for me either (and I'm reluctant to try it for depression, but I've let myself stay on the waiting list) but it worked wonders for my anorexia and if I hadn't had counselling there's no way I'd be able to sit exams/go to a restaurant and eat there - I'm really far on in recovery because of counselling.

I know that you can't see it helping now, but carry on with it and one day you'll realise all the good it's done :hugs: They help you get to the root cause of your problems and re-think your thinking etc.

Yes, you have to be open with them and at first that's hard, but it's the first step to getting better :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)

Yeah, being under 18 is the biggest problem for me, so for now I'm seeing a psycologist. My Doctor admitted he didn't know the best way to help me and I think that's why he referred me the first time. He said medication could become an option in the future if all else fails, so he wasn't completely against the idea. Plus, I feel they could be my only chance at getting better (even with all the side effects) and do want them... but we'll have to see.

I thought that - so I sat there for months and suffered in silence. I didn't do myself any favours as it got worse and worse. When people know they can help you and not everyone has to know. Only one teacher at school will have to notify the exam board. :yep: It's not a lame excuse. It's stopping you from functioning properly in the same way a broken leg would. I hate the broken leg analogy :facepalm2: so many people used it on me, but it makes sense.

Well the doctor hasn't shut the idea down, so you just have to hold out for a while and cope the best way you can - maybe you have to say that you want medication openly to the psychologist but you've got to be honest and tell them about you actually feel.

Don't shut the idea out completely - if you want them to give you a chance, you've got to give them a chance. I had the same idea because my first counsellor was awful but now I'm seeing a proper professional, I'm beginning to feel better. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)

You might be right, things might get better but sorry, I don't see it happening right now. However, I do see it might be too early for medication and very inconvenient for me right now, so thanks :hugs:

That's what I'm afraid of... things not working out. I just have to hope I find something that's right for me I guess.
    But anyway, thank you for your reply :hugs: it means a lot.

and thanks :hugs:

------

I don't think you should rule out counselling because different things work for different people. And tbh even if you try counselling and don't like it it might be because you get someone you don't click with rather than the method failing. I think you really need to get on with people if you want counselling to help, that said however, I'm not saying it will definitely help you but I think it's worth a shot.

I've tried 9 (9? 10? something around there) antidepressants and only one of them helped and then stopped a few months later, so you can't really rely on those either. I'm not saying they won't work either, but everyone is different and I think if you want to beat this you should try every option available to have the best chance. Depression isn't a lame excuse either, it can be pretty life-destroying so I think if you were to tell your school then they'd probably take it seriously and want to help you out (unless they were retards....).

And hi btw

ReputationRep:
    Ergh, guys, I feel ****. Got a huge sore throat and my head is a total mess. Been trying to revise for exams but it's just not happening, going to fail yet finding it impossible to care. I've had enough of uni, had enough of everything really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Ergh, guys, I feel ****. Got a huge sore throat and my head is a total mess. Been trying to revise for exams but it's just not happening, going to fail yet finding it impossible to care. I've had enough of uni, had enough of everything really.
    :hugs: Take a break if you're feeling ill/down. (And get some ice cream for the sore throat haha, it works wonders!) Things are going to improve for you :yep: You seem to have been more positive recently, do you think you have been? You'll get through this :yes: Why not try talking through things (be it in person or online) with someone taking the same exams or if you're not feeling up to that, why not just highlight things aimlessly like I've been doing recently?

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Take a break if you're feeling ill/down. (And get some ice cream for the sore throat haha, it works wonders!) Things are going to improve for you :yep: You seem to have been more positive recently, do you think you have been? You'll get through this :yes: Why not try talking through things (be it in person or online) with someone taking the same exams or if you're not feeling up to that, why not just highlight things aimlessly like I've been doing recently?
    The problem is I've been taking a break constantly for the past few months, I've done hardly any work all year. I dunno about being more positive, been trying not to be a nasty ******* to everyone online like usual so that might be what you noticed :p: but in myself I feel like crap, crying so much and just generally feeling ergh. Don't know anyone doing the same exams as me, but aimless highlighting might be a good idea.

How you getting on?

ReputationRep:
    The problem is I've been taking a break constantly for the past few months, I've done hardly any work all year. I dunno about being more positive, been trying not to be a nasty ******* to everyone online like usual so that might be what you noticed :p: but in myself I feel like crap, crying so much and just generally feeling ergh. Don't know anyone doing the same exams as me, but aimless highlighting might be a good idea.

How you getting on?
    I've never seen you being a 'nasty *******'! Things will improve, whether or not you believe it, there's always something out there that will help, you just have to let it.

There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to revise frankly and I've only just (4 days before my exam) started using a revision technique that I know works, so I'm a bit of an idiot haha.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen you being a 'nasty *******'! Things will improve, whether or not you believe it, there's always something out there that will help, you just have to let it.

There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to revise frankly and I've only just (4 days before my exam) started using a revision technique that I know works, so I'm a bit of an idiot haha.
    My warning points and neg rep say otherwise

I'm not so sure about that tbh, from research I've done into depression there is a small minority of people who nothing works for.

4 days isn't too bad but, although it's probably tempting, if you work constantly for the whole time you might overdo it a bit which wouldn't be great either.

ReputationRep:
    My warning points and neg rep say otherwise

I'm not so sure about that tbh, from research I've done into depression there is a small minority of people who nothing works for.

4 days isn't too bad but, although it's probably tempting, if you work constantly for the whole time you might overdo it a bit which wouldn't be great either.
    Haha, you're still very much in the green though - should tell you something!

You just have to keep trying - it may be that one doctor, or that one medicine that works for you and besides, they're always coming up with new medicines and theories.

I've just found out it's 5 days haha, slightly better :rolleyes: I'm just going to finish these mindmaps (which, if I finish all of them involves me going over the material at least 3 times - pencil, pen, colour) and do essays... I need to do well in my history exams :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I've not posted here in a while, I've been feeling a lot better than I was, but the last couple of days have been really bad again. I thought I was getting better at eating but my mum went away for a week, so it was just up to me to eat, that barely happened I've recently got a job as a waitress and so I've had to try most of the food which wasn't fun.

Then it's just general self esteem stuff that didn't help today. I wish people would shut up if they don't have anything nice to say. Just been crying for the last few days and I'm fed up of it. I just want to be in control of everything. I know I can't but it would just help keep me sane!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalou098)
    I've not posted here in a while, I've been feeling a lot better than I was, but the last couple of days have been really bad again. I thought I was getting better at eating but my mum went away for a week, so it was just up to me to eat, that barely happened I've recently got a job as a waitress and so I've had to try most of the food which wasn't fun.

Then it's just general self esteem stuff that didn't help today. I wish people would shut up if they don't have anything nice to say. Just been crying for the last few days and I'm fed up of it. I just want to be in control of everything. I know I can't but it would just help keep me sane!
    :jumphug:

Being in 'control' of things won't help, you have to stay strong and things will improve. You're bound to have set backs, but getting over these and carrying on are what gets you to being better in the end.

And people are idiots, try to ignore them :console:

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you're still very much in the green though - should tell you something!

You just have to keep trying - it may be that one doctor, or that one medicine that works for you and besides, they're always coming up with new medicines and theories.

I've just found out it's 5 days haha, slightly better :rolleyes: I'm just going to finish these mindmaps (which, if I finish all of them involves me going over the material at least 3 times - pencil, pen, colour) and do essays... I need to do well in my history exams :cry2:
    Yeah, well, my hopes aren't particularly high. Ah well.

:hugs: 5 days is even better. I can understand you feel you have to do well but it does sound like you've been working pretty hard so far so don't stress out these next few days. Hmmm, sorry that sounds so bad, like I'm not saying you're stressing out or that you're not going to do well, but I've seen people burn out before so just er....don't do that.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.