Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :cry: The panic/verge of tears stuff is happening earlier than normal today. I hate how much I've screwed myself over for these exam and despite the fact that deep down, I know that form where I stand right now I need a year out/to stay at sixth form rather than going to uni because I just won't cope and messing up A levels is more manageable than messing up a year at uni but I still desperately want to get into uni this year :cry:

It's too early to be saying things like that now. You can't predict the future, so it might not be a catastrophe at all. Good luck with your exams. I guess you'll have to deal with whatever happens as and when it happens. It's true that spending time at uni when you might not be focusing properly on the work for the course could be a disaster. I should know, having been through it. I had to withdraw and I felt like such a failure because I didn't/couldn't cope with the workload, didn't enjoy the course much, nor the uni atmosphere I was at. Everything was just wrong and I had to really be struggling before I finally realised and left. But, time out of education really helped me... whether it's after sixth form or whenever, it just helped me put things into perspective a lot more. I definitely feel more ready for uni/the course I want to do now.

The problem is that I often still feel low and unhappy about what happened, even though there's no point and I can move on. I wish I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to write an essay on definitions of abnormality... I can't get through a paragraph without thinking '****. I do that...' :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)

It's too early to be saying things like that now. You can't predict the future, so it might not be a catastrophe at all. Good luck with your exams. I guess you'll have to deal with whatever happens as and when it happens. It's true that spending time at uni when you might not be focusing properly on the work for the course could be a disaster. I should know, having been through it. I had to withdraw and I felt like such a failure because I didn't/couldn't cope with the workload, didn't enjoy the course much, nor the uni atmosphere I was at. Everything was just wrong and I had to really be struggling before I finally realised and left. But, time out of education really helped me... whether it's after sixth form or whenever, it just helped me put things into perspective a lot more. I definitely feel more ready for uni/the course I want to do now.

The problem is that I often still feel low and unhappy about what happened, even though there's no point and I can move on. I wish I didn't.
    I haven't had lessons in months, I doubt I'll get the grades. If I do, there will be lots of tears because it'll be a bloody miracle! Either ay, there will be tears

:hugs: At least it's helped. You're not a failure for having to take time out! It's just the sucky way depression pisses on everything.

---

I need to find some way of pausing time I think, I have so much to learn and so little time/barely any when I'm feeling okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I haven't had lessons in months, I doubt I'll get the grades. If I do, there will be lots of tears because it'll be a bloody miracle! Either ay, there will be tears

:hugs: At least it's helped. You're not a failure for having to take time out! It's just the sucky way depression pisses on everything.

---

I need to find some way of pausing time I think, I have so much to learn and so little time/barely any when I'm feeling okay.
    Aww. =[ If it makes you feel ANY better at all, I've been through exactly the same thing. Didn't go to lessons/felt disillusioned with life/academics in general, and what was worse was my parents thought I was just making up excuses not to study! It was more a case of I had no belief in myself. But, all I can say is hang in there: things do get better. I am actually off to uni now for a course that really suits me based on the grades I did get, so time out can give you some perspective! But, as I say, it took months/almost years of crying/feeling like a failure/wondering what the point was in anything/horrendous waits... it's an uphill struggle, but I guess I got there!

:hugs:

OH GOD, if only there were a way to pause time. I could have done all this thinking/pondering then without wasting my life away, and now I just feel so old and annoyed at myself for taking so long to figure anything out! Meh, I suppose a fair few people take gap years for whatever reason, though. Mine was genuinely because I felt like I needed a break from life/to finally seek treatment for my depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    Aww. =[ If it makes you feel ANY better at all, I've been through exactly the same thing. Didn't go to lessons/felt disillusioned with life/academics in general, and what was worse was my parents thought I was just making up excuses not to study! It was more a case of I had no belief in myself. But, all I can say is hang in there: things do get better. I am actually off to uni now for a course that really suits me based on the grades I did get, so time out can give you some perspective! But, as I say, it took months/almost years of crying/feeling like a failure/wondering what the point was in anything/horrendous waits... it's an uphill struggle, but I guess I got there!

:hugs:

OH GOD, if only there were a way to pause time. I could have done all this thinking/pondering then without wasting my life away, and now I just feel so old and annoyed at myself for taking so long to figure anything out! Meh, I suppose a fair few people take gap years for whatever reason, though. Mine was genuinely because I felt like I needed a break from life/to finally seek treatment for my depression.
    I like academics though, if I'm forced to take a gap year, I'll go back to sixth form (because it'll mean that I didn't get at least BBB, so I'll need to improve that to reapply to the very few unis that offer my course and the few of them that I actually like the sound of the course there). It's just everything is so rushed. There's a very, very slim chance I'll manage it but... Right now, I just want to hide/sleep until exams are over, but I have to carry on :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Oh man. Just spoke to my Dad, he sounds knackered. The job he's doing is 24 hour, and there's meant to be 3 people minimum doing it... there's only two of them out there. That means 12 hour + days every day and no time off. Doesn't look like they'll send anyone else out to lighten the load either :cry: I just want a hug from him and to tell him that it'll be over soon. Even though it won't be.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really fed up. Everything seems such an effort and totally unsatisfying.
    I've run out of nice books to read too and reading is the only thing that keeps me half-sane. Arghhh. Time to join a library I guess if I can force myself to leave the house sometime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Oh man. Just spoke to my Dad, he sounds knackered. The job he's doing is 24 hour, and there's meant to be 3 people minimum doing it... there's only two of them out there. That means 12 hour + days every day and no time off. Doesn't look like they'll send anyone else out to lighten the load either :cry: I just want a hug from him and to tell him that it'll be over soon. Even though it won't be.
    :console: I understand, my dad works for a publishing company so they always have loads of deadlines and he has lots of physical and mental health issues too... makes me feel mean if ever I need to talk about my own problems :o: Hope it does get better for you/him in some way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGhostofODonahue)
    :console: I understand, my dad works for a publishing company so they always have loads of deadlines and he has lots of physical and mental health issues too... makes me feel mean if ever I need to talk about my own problems :o: Hope it does get better for you/him in some way...
    I worry about what he'll be like when he gets back, this is without a doubt his hardest tour. :cry:

I hope that you and your Dad get some quality time soon... Give him a massive hug :o:

I'm trying to write an essay on definitions of abnormality... I can't get through a paragraph without thinking '****. I do that...' :nothing:

hy how you going with that??? if you need any help dont be afraid to ask as i have jsut covered that!

are you looking at things like : statistical infrequency, deviation from social norms, faliure to function adequatly and (i can`t remember the 4th one right this min lol)
    or you looking at the models? psychodynamic, behavioural, congnition, biological?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. How's it going?

Got my first exam tomorrow. I'm going to fail.

ReputationRep:
    So I was feeling fine about revision etc today, optimistic even, then my brother comes home and I move rooms. Cue random breakdown meaning I can't revise and now realise just how badly I'm going to fail. :cry2: Why can't I just have one normal day every now and again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis Black)
    hy how you going with that??? if you need any help dont be afraid to ask as i have jsut covered that!

are you looking at things like : statistical infrequency, deviation from social norms, faliure to function adequatly and (i can`t remember the 4th one right this min lol)
    or you looking at the models? psychodynamic, behavioural, congnition, biological?
    I've finished and handed it in now, it was on theories of abnormality, Failure to Function, Deviancy from Social norms and Deviancy from Ideal mental health. Made me feel somewhat of a failure at life tbh :o: God knows how I'll cope with an entire module on it at uni!

I've finished and handed it in now, it was on theories of abnormality, Failure to Function, Deviancy from Social norms and Deviancy from Ideal mental health. Made me feel somewhat of a failure at life tbh :o: God knows how I'll cope with an entire module on it at uni!

ok thats good!
    oh it help me realise the otther week that there was something really wrong and that it was me and not my hubby who i was aiming my anger at!
    you will be fine at uni, jsut make sure you make hte use of the mental health department, have you also tried to claim for the students disability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis Black)
    ok thats good!
    oh it help me realise the otther week that there was something really wrong and that it was me and not my hubby who i was aiming my anger at!
    you will be fine at uni, jsut make sure you make hte use of the mental health department, have you also tried to claim for the students disability?
    Meh, no, still very much in the 'If I ignore it I'll feel better' frame of mind :o:

I'd feel like a fraud claiming this as a disability :o:

ReputationRep:
    I had a medical assessment today. Discussing how bad I am made me feel like a right freak

(Original post by Nothos)
    I had a medical assessment today. Discussing how bad I am made me feel like a right freak
    I can sort of empathise. All this talk of psycologists and reports make me feel like I should be sectioned or something

-----------------------

So my exams are over and I was feeling a little happier but then I starting thinking about results day--anyone else dreading this? I actually felt sick. The thought of opening my evelope on the day makes me want to cry. I can picture all my friends smiling and laughing and hugging and I want to burn the mental image. I'm fully expecting to scrape a pass even with special consideration (I asked the exams officer what 'special consideration' means but still, they haven't told me :o:)

I'm dreading A levels and shouldn't even be thinking about them. I should be enjoying summer but instead I'm shacked up indoors :rolleyes:

Oh, and I had a little 'tiff' with only of my only friends. I was one the verge of telling her I was suffering from depression but I didn't know what to say in the end, I just called it an 'illness'.

Anyway... I hope everybody is well

Meh, no, still very much in the 'If I ignore it I'll feel better' frame of mind :o:

I'd feel like a fraud claiming this as a disability :o:
    hi did when i went for the assessment but it was really good and they will only give you stuff that they feel that you need so if they think you are not requiring stuff then they wont give it you, but dont ignore it as it wont go away unfortunalty and you need to talk with someone.
    The disability element gives you the ability to get help if you are having a bad time and will give you that back up if anything should happen.
    I am glad i have got it becasue if i have a time at uni like i did the other week then i will need that help and support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)
    I can sort of empathise. All this talk of psycologists and reports make me feel like I should be sectioned or something

-----------------------

So my exams are over and I was feeling a little happier but then I starting thinking about results day--anyone else dreading this? I actually felt sick. The thought of opening my evelope on the day makes me want to cry. I can picture all my friends smiling and laughing and hugging and I want to burn the mental image. I'm fully expecting to scrape a pass even with special consideration (I asked the exams officer what 'special consideration' means but still, they haven't told me :o:)

I'm dreading A levels and shouldn't even be thinking about them. I should be enjoying summer but instead I'm shacked up indoors :rolleyes:

Oh, and I had a little 'tiff' with only of my only friends. I was one the verge of telling her I was suffering from depression but I didn't know what to say in the end, I just called it an 'illness'.

Anyway... I hope everybody is well
    :console: I'm dreading exam results day too :afraid:. I don't think I did too well . I have a couple of options, of what to do for my future, lined up to choose from, depending on my results and how I feel come September time.

You could try going outside when it's sunny, for a walk or something, apparently it's supposed to cheer you up. Though, that's what I did today but I still felt quite miserable . Hmmm... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    What's the easy way of telling someone you self harm? Jeeeeeesus.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.