Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    :console: I'm dreading exam results day too :afraid:. I don't think I did too well . I have a couple of options, of what to do for my future, lined up to choose from, depending on my results and how I feel come September time.

You could try going outside when it's sunny, for a walk or something, apparently it's supposed to cheer you up. Though, that's what I did today but I still felt quite miserable . Hmmm... :erm:
    What's worse is that my only friends (one of them I've kind of fallen out with anyway) are both wanting to do the same course as me at uni and they are A* across the board students. I'm going to feel so substandard compared to them

Oh, you're applying for uni this September... that's scary stuff, I'll be applying next year as if... it was only last year when I was in year 10. What are thinking about then?

:hugs: Yeah, thanks I could try that. I'm not sure if it will work but maybe I'll take my camera out with me and try and take some sceneic pictures of... my estate :unsure:

Oh, and I love your sig... GaGa :love:

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    What's the easy way of telling someone you self harm? Jeeeeeesus.
    Maybe writing it down in a letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)
    Maybe writing it down in a letter?
    Mmm, I dunno. Was talking with the guy I've been seeing recently about just... me, I guess and he asked what it was that took me 8 months to tell my best friend. I just... can't. One, I feel dumb as **** when I say it, two, I feel like I'm faking it, I guess? Like I said before, I have no reason for this, I have no reason for what I do, nothing in my past should pre-dispose me to feel this way, not one thing was wrong with it. Frustrating.

*Wanders off to mutter in the corner*

ReputationRep:
    What's the easy way of telling someone you self harm? Jeeeeeesus.
    Write it down or do what I did - which was skirt around the subject, until I implied enough that the person in question knew and asked and I nodded my head, before bursting into tears.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm gonna call up tomorrow and book an appointment to see a GP that day. I've tried positive thinkng but after a bad experience at my youth club yesterday, I've fell back into what I believe is depression. Crying, feeling suicidal, feeling hopeless. I hope life can get better, I really hope they can fix me.

However, now that I'm actually about to do it, I'm really, really apprehensive of the thought of being officially diagnosed as depressed. The thought fills me with a great feeling of failure. It makes it all seem real, all of what I'm feeling. Though I can write it all down, research depression and think that I fit the bill, this is like a big acknowledgement. I really don't want the label, it makes me feel old before my time, and scared because it means a qualified person is saying that yes, I have a problem and a mountain to climb. What if I can't get better? What if they can't make me better?

Aaaaah ****, I'm scared D;

Mmm, I dunno. Was talking with the guy I've been seeing recently about just... me, I guess and he asked what it was that took me 8 months to tell my best friend. I just... can't. One, I feel dumb as **** when I say it, two, I feel like I'm faking it, I guess? Like I said before, I have no reason for this, I have no reason for what I do, nothing in my past should pre-dispose me to feel this way, not one thing was wrong with it. Frustrating.

*Wanders off to mutter in the corner*
    :console: Hmm, I'm not sure. I have no experience with that kind of thing. I second what Natty d suggested which is to hint in a way... I tried to do that with my best friends (not sure they got what I meant though). Some people show others what they mean but that might be a little drastic. I think that's what I would do though. :dontknow:

Whatever you decide I hope it turns out to be okay in the end... or better

(Original post by Frosties1)
    Right, I'm gonna call up tomorrow and book an appointment to see a GP that day. I've tried positive thinkng but after a bad experience at my youth club yesterday, I've fell back into what I believe is depression. Crying, feeling suicidal, feeling hopeless. I hope life can get better, I really hope they can fix me.

However, now that I'm actually about to do it, I'm really, really apprehensive of the thought of being officially diagnosed as depressed. The thought fills me with a great feeling of failure. It makes it all seem real, all of what I'm feeling. Though I can write it all down, research depression and think that I fit the bill, this is like a big acknowledgement. I really don't want the label, it makes me feel old before my time, and scared because it means a qualified person is saying that yes, I have a problem and a mountain to climb. What if I can't get better? What if they can't make me better?

I have empathy for you. Seeing a GP is a step forward at least and I know some react differently to diagnosis. Some feel relieved to know there is a name for what is wrong with them... I personally felt a bit blank about it.
    :hugs:
    I don't know what to say really but make sure you let your GP know everything that is going on with you and they'll think of the best way in which they can help.

ReputationRep:

I can understand it's scary but I'd say that if you actually know what's wrong with you then it's easier to try to tackle it and over come it. I was depressed for years before going to a doctor and all that did was give me years to really **** myself up. If you go sooner you can hopefully work on getting better sooner.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, trying to work out how truthful to be with her. I know I sure as hell don't want to go back on them poisons but the alternative is continuing to feel incredibly **** for ages so I dunno. She can't help anyway, I don't know why I'm bothering to go see her.

First exam wasn't too bad, it could have been worse. I would say I might have just scraped a 3rd, though I think a fail is more likely.

ReputationRep:

:hugs: I felt like this for weeks before doing something, but you're doing the right thing! You don't have to be officially diagnosed or be labelled but you have a problem that needs help so well done for taking the right step. They can make you better or at help you on your way, so just be honest with them :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onyx.)
    What's worse is that my only friends (one of them I've kind of fallen out with anyway) are both wanting to do the same course as me at uni and they are A* across the board students. I'm going to feel so substandard compared to them

Oh, you're applying for uni this September... that's scary stuff, I'll be applying next year as if... it was only last year when I was in year 10. What are thinking about then?

:hugs: Yeah, thanks I could try that. I'm not sure if it will work but maybe I'll take my camera out with me and try and take some sceneic pictures of... my estate :unsure:

Oh, and I love your sig... GaGa :love:
    Oh, is it GCSEs you're doing now? I only just realised :o:. Hopefully you did well :yep:. Just to let you know, they are pretty easy compared to A Levels, well, for me they were. Not to put a downer on you at all or anything, most people do cope and do well, just not me, due to being too depressive/lazy/crap :erm:.

A Levels have been a mess for me. Option one for next academic year, would be to stay at my school for Year 14 to do retakes and just finishing up my A Levels for uni 2011. I should be going to uni this year, had I not messed up Year 12 last year and had to change subjects, but go figure :rolleyes:.

Option two, would be for me to just abandon education for now to go work in a media marketing job in Abu Dhabi, that my dad has told me about (he currently lives and works there as an expat). I may lean towards this, as I'm not sure whether I'm in the right frame of mind right now for A Levels and uni. Plus, it would just be lovely to be somewhere new, and just do something different, especially in the wonderful looking Middle East :daydreaming:.

Yeah, I hope to go to uni one day, whether it's next year or later, and I have my eyes set on an English Literature degree.

:five: for the Gaga love . The camera idea for the walk sounds good :yep:.

That's so cool you already know what you want to do at uni :yep:. What are your plans for subjects at sixth form and beyond? Hopefully you'll have a better time of it than me

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy to say that I've now completely all my exams, as of Tuesday just gone :woo:. Good riddance to all that bloody revision. And I had a private tutor for English Lit who made me do loads of work, so I'm hoping for a good grade, maybe a B? Fingers crossed. Though, I might have done quite bad in my other subjects :erm:. Oh well, I'm not gonna dwell on that for now though, I just want to enjoy my summer and forget all this tiring ish from the past two years. I'm gonna get round to going to counselling and getting driving lessons again, and hopefully be halfway to getting my life on track

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I really do appreciate it.

I just called up and asked for an appointment. I had to lie over the phone and say I had recurring headaches to get it, as supposedly, according to the receptionist I spoke to, she needed "notes" to forward to the doctor. If I didn't lie I woudn't have been able to see a doc today, and I really need to. I hope he doesn't mind when I see him D:

This is gonna take some bottle.

ReputationRep:

I just called up and asked for an appointment. I had to lie over the phone and say I had recurring headaches to get it, as supposedly, according to the receptionist I spoke to, she needed "notes" to forward to the doctor. If I didn't lie I woudn't have been able to see a doc today, and I really need to. I hope he doesn't mind when I see him D:

Good luck :hugs:

I hate that stupid rule that you have to tell the receptionist what's wrong, I normally ask if they're medically trained and adequately equipped to deal with the problem or just refuse to tell them I'm certain your Doc will understand.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on Fluoxetine 20mg for over a month now and I still feel no different And I told my doctor that I felt like I was self-harming more since starting on the medicine, and she just dismissed it. I don't know what to do. Loads of people are saying bad things about Prozac and Idk if I want to be on it at all any more. It's not making me feel any better (I thought you were supposed to feel effects after 2-4 weeks, or am I just being impatient?) but I feel so miserable that I'm staying on it in the hope that things will improve soon.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck :hugs:

I hate that stupid rule that you have to tell the receptionist what's wrong, I normally ask if they're medically trained and adequately equipped to deal with the problem or just refuse to tell them I'm certain your Doc will understand.
    I've always been told you can tell them it's none of their business. :dontknow: I'm pretty sure the receptionist at my GP knows though, she no longer needs me to say my name when I go in, that's how often I go :facepalm:

---

I'm feeling, numb and bloody tired so don't really need to post here but I just wanted to say: I'm fed up of pretending to not really, really dislike certain people now. They're being horrible to those taht I actually still care about, who have never done anything wrong. I just don't have the energy to be nice to these people. People are horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, trying to work out how truthful to be with her. I know I sure as hell don't want to go back on them poisons but the alternative is continuing to feel incredibly **** for ages so I dunno. She can't help anyway, I don't know why I'm bothering to go see her.

First exam wasn't too bad, it could have been worse. I would say I might have just scraped a 3rd, though I think a fail is more likely.
    :hugs: Try to be honest, ask to try other ones etc. Or try seeing a different person if you think that it's her being useless.

Well done on getting through the exam. They are horrible, evil things but at least now you have on less :console:

ReputationRep:

That seems strange to me; for all the times I've rung up for GP appointments, I've never had to tell them a reason whatsoever (except when booking my appointments to get the HPV jab with the nurse, I tell them incase they need to know to get it ready beforehand), they just usually ask for my name, and then they just give me a time, date and doctor. And then I just tell the doctor what's wrong when I actually see him/her at the appointment. I suppose the rules vary in different places though?

Anyway, good luck at your appointment, I hope all goes well and you'll be able to start getting to the bottom of your problems :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    That seems strange to me; for all the times I've rung up for GP appointments, I've never had to tell them a reason whatsoever (except when booking my appointments to get the HPV jab with the nurse, I tell them incase they need to know to get it ready beforehand), they just usually ask for my name, and then they just give me a time, date and doctor. And then I just tell the doctor what's wrong when I actually see him/her at the appointment. I suppose the rules vary in different places though?

Anyway, good luck at your appointment, I hope all goes well and you'll be able to start getting to the bottom of your problems :hugs:
    Round here they won't even entertain you without knowing what the problem is... Crying at them seems to scare them into making an appointment ASAP though :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I've always been told you can tell them it's none of their business. :dontknow: I'm pretty sure the receptionist at my GP knows though, she no longer needs me to say my name when I go in, that's how often I go :facepalm:

---

I'm feeling, numb and bloody tired so don't really need to post here but I just wanted to say: I'm fed up of pretending to not really, really dislike certain people now. They're being horrible to those taht I actually still care about, who have never done anything wrong. I just don't have the energy to be nice to these people. People are horrible.
    I really agree with this. I've really stupidly let them get to me too many times over the years. 'Tis one of the sad facts of life, unfortunately. People can be nasty to others for no good reason, and these people are usually not worth knowing anyway, so just save your energy on your true friends. For one bad person, you're likely to know one good person at least. It's all about knowing where you stand, I suppose :hugs:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.