Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    No, I mean that people would turn the LGBT for help and advice, that's exactly what happens here. This is in no way a pro-depression club, it's a place to come and discussing how you're feeling, get support from members how are doing better than you that day etc. It's a place to come and say 'I'm feeling really low and I want to...' whatever it is - cutting, feeling suicidal, just want to know what will happen when you see the doctor, and then just having friendly members helping you really helps, they help you to learn how to cope that little bit, get the courage up to see the GP, know when to go back to teh GP if you're not getting along with antidepressants or something etc.

IMO, it is a purely positive thing. Of course we discuss very negative things, what about depression is positive? But the fact that we have somewhere away from the trolls and without having to bring attention to ourselves and can learn more about the way the support and treatment for depression works is in my eyes, only a positive thing. Without this society I'd be in a much worse place because I would have very few people around me who understand depression and the treatment, to be honest I don't yet understand any of it, and it's always nice to know what to expect when going to see a doctor/psychiatrist/CPN etc.
    That's fair enough. If this kind of thing helps you lot then that's brilliant! As I said I just had an incorrect perception of the tone and purpose of the society from the off.

It's not something I would personally use, but if you all find it helpful then, as I said, it can only be a good thing =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    That's fair enough. If this kind of thing helps you lot then that's brilliant! As I said I just had an incorrect perception of the tone and purpose of the society from the off.

It's not something I would personally use, but if you all find it helpful then, as I said, it can only be a good thing =]
    I have to admit, I did too to begin with, so I lurked until I found that it wouldn't be triggering/negative, but of course TSR would never allow something like that to stay around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Always weird, mostly nightmarish.

Deal. Although I warn you I sometimes get people chasing me with knives. Girl with laser eyes sounds way cooler.
    I get them too. The worst ones are always the most vivid - I can see, smell, hear, taste and feel things, it's like it's all real. ******* horrid.

Was late for work this morning - just couldn't pull myself out of bed. Was the same yesterday too. Spent getting ready and the drive to work in floods of tears over my Dad, got in twenty minutes late, my manager asked me why and I burst into tears again :o: He gave me a hug and told me to go and stick my head down and forget about it for a while, just work and think only of plates and stuff and bar a few minutes where people were busy playing happy families I did ok and held it together. Burnt my fingers on several plates but if I'm honest... I think I did it on purpose. :o: Got home and walked back to the car with my mum and started crying again because she pointed out that she's never going to see her Dad ever again (he died when I was 14 - never really got over that one) and now we're both having a cup of tea and wimping together.

Told the boy yesterday about the cutting/depression, he text me earlier to see if I was ok because he knew I was upset from facebook, we've started to open up to each other and I'm so glad to know him. Only been together I guess for a fortnight and he already means so much. I'm so terrified of ******* up/getting hurt/saying the wrong thing though, I think he's starting to realise that went I can't or won't answer a question, it's more because I think I'll say something wrong and he'll run in the opposite direction than I'm thinking something bad about him. If that makes sense.

Hah, what an essay, hopefully I can carry on the awesome writing skills into my sociology and literature essays that need finishing today. Odd, but whenever I hit rock bottom my motivation goes too, but my productivity shoots right up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)

Just to add to what steffi.alexa said, you've also got the Asperger's Society and the Disabled Students' Society on TSR. Those aren't necessarily celebrating having those things as such, they're just little clubs for people with something in common of being affected by something they can't help, to help support each other and give advice. It's pretty much the same here with the Depression Society as well. I'm sure most people would rather not be afflicted with the things they have, but since it's not quite as simple as that, at least it's good to have a group like this to share experiences and advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I get them too. The worst ones are always the most vivid - I can see, smell, hear, taste and feel things, it's like it's all real. ******* horrid.

Was late for work this morning - just couldn't pull myself out of bed. Was the same yesterday too. Spent getting ready and the drive to work in floods of tears over my Dad, got in twenty minutes late, my manager asked me why and I burst into tears again :o: He gave me a hug and told me to go and stick my head down and forget about it for a while, just work and think only of plates and stuff and bar a few minutes where people were busy playing happy families I did ok and held it together. Burnt my fingers on several plates but if I'm honest... I think I did it on purpose. :o: Got home and walked back to the car with my mum and started crying again because she pointed out that she's never going to see her Dad ever again (he died when I was 14 - never really got over that one) and now we're both having a cup of tea and wimping together.

Told the boy yesterday about the cutting/depression, he text me earlier to see if I was ok because he knew I was upset from facebook, we've started to open up to each other and I'm so glad to know him. Only been together I guess for a fortnight and he already means so much. I'm so terrified of ******* up/getting hurt/saying the wrong thing though, I think he's starting to realise that went I can't or won't answer a question, it's more because I think I'll say something wrong and he'll run in the opposite direction than I'm thinking something bad about him. If that makes sense.

Hah, what an essay, hopefully I can carry on the awesome writing skills into my sociology and literature essays that need finishing today. Odd, but whenever I hit rock bottom my motivation goes too, but my productivity shoots right up.
    :hugs: I can't think of much to say because my brain is mush :console:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Just to add to what steffi.alexa said, you've also got the Asperger's Society and the Disabled Students' Society on TSR. Those aren't necessarily celebrating having those things as such, they're just little clubs for people with something in common of being affected by something they can't help, to help support each other and give advice. It's pretty much the same here with the Depression Society as well. I'm sure most people would rather not be afflicted with the things they have, but since it's not quite as simple as that, at least it's good to have a group like this to share experiences and advice.
    Indeed, as I said - if this helps you all deal with your depression etc then that's cool :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Urgh Biology. So should I, but I decided to get ill instead an waste a perfectly good pizza. :dry:

I found sitting outside in the sun helped me revise today, it just made it that bit more bearable. But then I got distracted by a stray cat :erm:

God, my attention span is bad today haha. Revision comes lower than focussing on feeling better, so don't push yourself, maybe have a nice relaxing evening and do a tiny bit? :console:
    :hugs: Urgh i despise biology, but luckily its the only exam i've got left and i have 5 days to revise for it. Feeling slightly better today somehow managed yersterday. Watching comedy shows tends to help.

Hows the revision going today?

ReputationRep:
    I hate depression. I just....hate it. Maybe if I hate it enough it'll take the hint and y'know, bugger off?

*concentrates all of hate on depression*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosties1)
    I hate depression. I just....hate it. Maybe if I hate it enough it'll take the hint and y'know, bugger off?

*concentrates all of hate on depression*
    Have you tried threatening it with a big stick? If you just sort of waggle it accusingly it might back down

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: I can't think of much to say because my brain is mush :console:
    No worries, hugs are enough Managed to stop the random on and off crying I think... emphasis on the think. Avoiding everyone today Spoke to my Dad on the phone and we had a good long chat which was lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Have you tried threatening it with a big stick? If you just sort of waggle it accusingly it might back down
    A very good idea When I'm done with the hate rays, if it hasn't backed down, I'll give it a try. Or perhaps do both at the same time? A menacing combination I hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosties1)
    A very good idea When I'm done with the hate rays, if it hasn't backed down, I'll give it a try. Or perhaps do both at the same time? A menacing combination I hear.
    Set the end of the stick on fire to show you really mean business.

ReputationRep:
    Great, studying a film has reduced me to tears and beyond. ******* great. I'm really hating A levels right now. Biology's okay I guess, but the others... I guess it's 'cos I actually enjoy them so want to do well. :cry: I'll never get into uni and I'm not sure I want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Always weird, mostly nightmarish.

Deal. Although I warn you I sometimes get people chasing me with knives. Girl with laser eyes sounds way cooler.
    This. But in my dream it was my mum chasing me with a kitchen knife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    This. But in my dream it was my mum chasing me with a kitchen knife
    Ouch. It's that personal touch which really hurts...

ReputationRep:
    I can't stop thinking about killing myself. This is all triggered off by this stupid subject stressing me out (makes me think I'm a failure etc). My dad just came in and had a chat to me (doesn't happen often) about it and he was starting to make me feel a lot better about taking a forced year out, but then he mentioned getting a job and that's what's really scaring me about taking a year out - I don't think I can cope with the new people, responsibilities etc, part of the reason I don't think I should go to uni this year. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I can't stop thinking about killing myself. This is all triggered off by this stupid subject stressing me out (makes me think I'm a failure etc). My dad just came in and had a chat to me (doesn't happen often) about it and he was starting to make me feel a lot better about taking a forced year out, but then he mentioned getting a job and that's what's really scaring me about taking a year out - I don't think I can cope with the new people, responsibilities etc, part of the reason I don't think I should go to uni this year. :cry:
    A job is pretty different to uni tbh, one is few lectures a day max and then do whatever the **** else you want, the other is be there on time, do what you're told and can be hard work (not that uni isn't hard work but er....). Why'd you need a job? If you're not feeling up to one then don't get one, simple. You could volunteer somewhere because it's a lot less stressful if you're lookig for something to fill time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    A job is pretty different to uni tbh, one is few lectures a day max and then do whatever the **** else you want, the other is be there on time, do what you're told and can be hard work (not that uni isn't hard work but er....). Why'd you need a job? If you're not feeling up to one then don't get one, simple. You could volunteer somewhere because it's a lot less stressful if you're lookig for something to fill time.
    It's the new people, new environment etc that worries me and I don't, but my father would rather I got one.

ReputationRep:
    It's the new people, new environment etc that worries me and I don't, but my father would rather I got one.
    I'm sure your father would understand if you didn't feel up to getting a job.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it's probably worth you checking out, anyway, I think if you leave university before a certain point you would not have to pay tuition fees for that year. And if you're staying in halls then it's likely they could quite easily fill your space if you did decide to leave. If these are true, then perhaps it might be worth you trying university and seeing how it goes and if you're not ready for it yet you can leave having not really lost anything and go back next year. Universities, in my experience, tend to be understanding about mental health problems. So perhaps that's worth a go? The new environment might help you and you might meet some awesome people, but if you don't well it's no huge loss.

I dunno, just an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Why do I keep coming on this stupid website? All I ever hear on here is how you can just 'get over' depression and it's really easy to blah blah blah. They can go **** themselves frankly. I'd love to see what advice they'd give. If they dare suggest 'positive thinking' I'll beat them to death with a shovel. :rolleyes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.