Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I'm... also avoiding sleep. Or rather, avoiding trying to get to sleep, cos I'll only end up crying my eyes out. Been feeling really anxious all day today, no idea what that's about.
    :hugs: I obviously have no suggestions but I hope you manage to stop feeling so anxious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :hugs: I obviously have no suggestions but I hope you manage to stop feeling so anxious.
    Thanks.

While you're busy not sleeping, you could have a look at this website called uncommon knowledge. It's got some free self-help courses, hypnosis and stuff. I got recommended it ages ago but I never really tried it. Might work for you though.

ReputationRep:
    I can't sleep :cry: I've just thought of a load of things I want to say to him, but he goes away for a week tomorrow, and I can't say them over text. Sod.

ReputationRep:
    I was depressed in second year uni, it was a horrible, horrible year. I'm quite a bit better this time round (repeating the year), I think it is a result of the volunteering tbh because you're thinking about other people and not yourself. I work for Nightline and with visually impaired children. I still don't have much in the way of friends at uni, but just interacting with people helps. Last year I lived alone (not by choice) and I could go days without even having to speak a word.. it was horrible.

Loneliness + stress + low self-esteem = BAD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annora)
    I was depressed in second year uni, it was a horrible, horrible year. I'm quite a bit better this time round (repeating the year), I think it is a result of the volunteering tbh because you're thinking about other people and not yourself. I work for Nightline and with visually impaired children. I still don't have much in the way of friends at uni, but just interacting with people helps. Last year I lived alone (not by choice) and I could go days without even having to speak a word.. it was horrible.

How did you find working for Nightline? I really want to do it when I get to uni in September, but I'm a bit worried that it'll push me over the edge tbh.

:hugs: Isolation is one of the most crippling things ever... It's horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annora)

Yeah loneliness is really awful. I don't think people really understand how incredibly soul destroying it can feel. I lived with 7 people this year at uni yet still managed to go days without speaking to anyone. It's even worse in summer when you can see everyone enjoying themselves outside with friends etc. I'm glad you're doing better this time round, that's great to hear. I heard volunteering can help, keep meaning to give it a go, plus apparently it's good for self-esteem as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    How did you find working for Nightline? I really want to do it when I get to uni in September, but I'm a bit worried that it'll push me over the edge tbh.

:hugs: Isolation is one of the most crippling things ever... It's horrible.
    I'm enjoying Nightline. I think training is good to help you open up about sensitive topics, but mostly just because you get to meet people. Especially on shift as it's just you and another person.

ReputationRep:
    I've been isolating myself a lot lately on purpose, and I don't mind it too much to be honest. Like, I just stay at home all morning and afternoon or go out on my own, and it's kinda OK. It's just, I sometimes feel depressed when I'm around people anyway, so whatever, it doesn't make a huge difference. Does that make me strange at all?

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I've been isolating myself a lot lately on purpose, and I don't mind it too much to be honest. Like, I just stay at home all morning and afternoon or go out on my own, and it's kinda OK. It's just, I sometimes feel depressed when I'm around people anyway, so whatever, it doesn't make a huge difference. Does that make me strange at all?
    I feel the same :yawn: probably isnt healthy tbh but Im not trying to cope.
    DONT want to jinx it but today hasnt been awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    I feel the same :yawn: probably isnt healthy tbh but Im not trying to cope.
    DONT want to jinx it but today hasnt been awful
    OK. So how are you today? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why I feel so upset that he's screwing with my emotions like this but I don't want to stop talking to him? It's just too hard. If I carry on, then I'm going to get ****** over, if I tell him to poke off, then I lose the one person who knows the most about me.

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    OK. So how are you today? :hugs:
    Good :iiam: but I don't want to jinx it :teehee:
    how's you?

ReputationRep:
    You know, it's days like this that I both hate and am thankful for the fact that you can't get guns or easy access to the sort of drugs that give you a quick, painless death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    Good :iiam: but I don't want to jinx it :teehee:
    how's you?
    I'm OK thanks. On my own browsing the computer once again. I'm gonna try and go shopping today soon, need a dress for a party tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why I feel so upset that he's screwing with my emotions like this but I don't want to stop talking to him? It's just too hard. If I carry on, then I'm going to get ****** over, if I tell him to poke off, then I lose the one person who knows the most about me.
    (Original post by Nothos)
    You know, it's days like this that I both hate and am thankful for the fact that you can't get guns or easy access to the sort of drugs that give you a quick, painless death.
    Sorry I'm kinda useless with advice, but :hugs: for both of you.

ReputationRep:
    I did eventually fall asleep and I did go to work. I was in full-on zombie mode though because of the lack of sleep. I also almost burst into tears and had about an hour of feeling guilty about everything and anything. Despite that work was actually okay. I really need to work out how to make sure I can sleep though.

:hugs:

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    13 hour shift in 55 minutes. Shoot me now. Hopefully though it'll help me figure things out?

ReputationRep:
    13 hour shift in 55 minutes. Shoot me now. Hopefully though it'll help me figure things out?
    Is shoot a euphemism for hug?

If so: :hugs:

If not: :hugs: anyway!

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Work can be a nice distraction if you want it to be. Plus, 13 hours is going to get you a fair bit of money in one shift :top:

ReputationRep:
    Is shoot a euphemism for hug?

If so: :hugs:

If not: :hugs: anyway!
    I'll take your hugs any day :hugs:

Steffi, yep, nearly £75 I'll get. But I've only done another 8 hours this week so in all I'll get around £120... Not bad, but not really enough.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.