Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Out of interest here, which of you guys turn to food and which reject it in times of particular depression?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know how to describe it or if there's even a pattern at all... if I'm just mooching about aimlessly and don't feel like doing anything, I'll turn to food and eat junk constantly. If I'm going through a phase of just crying about something, or suddenly start panicking and thinking something awful might happen, I'll go hours without eating anything.

So in a nutshell, I guess it depends on whether my anxiety levels are high as well as depression - if they are and I'm constantly worrying, I'm almost too worried to eat. But if it's just a low, not feeling like doing anything mood, I'll turn to food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    Out of interest here, which of you guys turn to food and which reject it in times of particular depression?
    I do a bit of both, I'll turn to chocolate and cake if I'm a bit low. When things are really bad I have no appetite though.

ARghh I'm trying to think of something nice to do in London today and I can't think of anything

(Original post by Saffie)
    I do a bit of both, I'll turn to chocolate and cake if I'm a bit low. When things are really bad I have no appetite though.

ARghh I'm trying to think of something nice to do in London today and I can't think of anything
    I'm pretty much the same i think, it's wierd. I think most people are the same, it takes a real pit of depression to actually totally lose your appetite and become compeltely indifferent to things you always enjoyed.

Ffs, cant stop crying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    I'm pretty much the same i think, it's wierd. I think most people are the same, it takes a real pit of depression to actually totally lose your appetite and become compeltely indifferent to things you always enjoyed.

Ffs, cant stop crying
    Oops should have quoted, but I did reply to your question - and yeah I agree, you need to be feeling really bad to stop. But I have gone through periods of not enjoying doing anything at all, but still eating. And eating so much is the one thing I need to stop doing, if anything!

and :hugs:

(Original post by Stressworthy)
    Oops should have quoted, but I did reply to your question - and yeah I agree, you need to be feeling really bad to stop. But I have gone through periods of not enjoying doing anything at all, but still eating. And eating so much is the one thing I need to stop doing, if anything!

and :hugs:
    Eating is such a comfort and blocker temporarily this is why I'm a stone overweight :yucky: lost 6lbs this month though which is okay I guess.
    :hugs: How are you today?

(Original post by sauce)
    I usually reject it. Never feel like eating when I feel depressed or anxious :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosties1)
    My boyfriend broke up with me.
    I feel hollow, and empty.
    I keep thinking about all the amazing times we had together, the cute words we exchanged, deep conversations.
    I can't stop crying. I don't want a future with him not in it.
    I can't do this. I don't know what to do with myself.
    I miss him. I miss him so, so much.
    It ended so abruptly and unjustly. It didn't fizzle out, me and him were just robbed.
    I don't want to get over him, I don't want to feel better and heal, I just want to be back with him.
    I can't make sense of it all and I can't let go. I don't want to let go. I love him. He's the guy I want to be with for as far into the future as I can see. I want his words, his conversation, his smiles. I want to make him happy and be the person he confides in. I so desperately want him. No one else.
    Everytime I think about all the good times my heart just drops. Reality sets in and it's so incredibly painful.
    I'm crying now, I've been crying since I got home at 3ish. I wish he'd just call. I miss his voice. God how I miss his voice.
    Life before him wasn't nearly as good as it was with him, I can't imagine my future without him. It seems so bleak.
    Why won't he just come back.
    Ugh. 3 weeks on after writing this and it has finally dawned upon me. Before we broke up I had doubts about our relationship and didn't feel as though he fulfilled and satisfied me. For 3 weeks I've been pining over him and feeling like ****, and I've had a moment of clarity and realised that he was a ******. I gave and gave and gave and he wasn't considerate enough to return anything, or even appreciate what I did do. I was far more selfless than him. He did a good job of making me fall for him with all the love and affection he threw on me, but when times got tough, he was a jerk, he couldn't at all be relied on. There were so many flaws about that relationship that I forced myself to ignore and put up with, probably because in retrospect, I feel I became dependant. I wanted to be perfect for him because in that, he validated me. After breaking up with him, I haven't felt depressed. And now, I have some clarity over the whole thing. He really wasn't my match, he's not worth my tears, and I'm better off out of that relationship, far better.

I'm gonna take some time to work on me, to develop myself and resolve whatever reasons that lay with me that made me become dependent in the first place. Like said, I'm not depressed anymore, but I know I am prone to it, so once I get back from my travelling and into Uni, I'm going to get a regular slot with the University Counsellor.

Thanks guys, you were all such a help these past few months. This is such a brilliant resource.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    Eating is such a comfort and blocker temporarily this is why I'm a stone overweight :yucky: lost 6lbs this month though which is okay I guess.
    :hugs: How are you today?
    That's still something to be proud of, though - well done! :king1: All I've managed to do is gain weight. I so agree that it's such a comfort and blocker temporarily, but then it just makes things so much worse because I feel guilty for it and have to put up with the excess flab.

I'm not bad, thanks... I haven't got work today which feels strange (got work tomorrow instead). I'm doing a short course with the OU atm to try and get back into work before uni since I've had a break from education, and get some confidence back. But it actually seems to be making things worse - I've got an essay due for Monday, and all I'm doing is stressing about it. Deffo living up to my username.

That's still something to be proud of, though - well done! :king1: All I've managed to do is gain weight. I so agree that it's such a comfort and blocker temporarily, but then it just makes things so much worse because I feel guilty for it and have to put up with the excess flab.

I'm not bad, thanks... I haven't got work today which feels strange (got work tomorrow instead). I'm doing a short course with the OU atm to try and get back into work before uni since I've had a break from education, and get some confidence back. But it actually seems to be making things worse - I've got an essay due for Monday, and all I'm doing is stressing about it. Deffo living up to my username.

:hugs: im a big stress head too. Annoying thing weas I reallly tried hard to eat healthy(6/7 days a week) and was exercising loads so 6lbs feels so dissapointing :o: I am enrolling into an access course in September and then Uni after need a part time job though, theres some in town bbut today I feel listless and don't want to even get up let alone walk into town.
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I usually reject it. Never feel like eating when I feel depressed or anxious :no:
    Anxiety makes me "pick" :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    :hugs: im a big stress head too. Annoying thing weas I reallly tried hard to eat healthy(6/7 days a week) and was exercising loads so 6lbs feels so dissapointing :o: I am enrolling into an access course in September and then Uni after need a part time job though, theres some in town bbut today I feel listless and don't want to even get up let alone walk into town.
    That's so good of you though, I bet that really helped! I just can't seem to bring myself to eat healthily or do exercise - I just don't feel enough energy to do so. And it's almost like I want to punish myself or something, and I do that by just getting fat and not moving much. It's such a self-destructive thing to do but the more I do it, the more I can't seem to snap out of it.

:puppyeyes:

Ooh, it sounds like our higher education stuff is pretty similar... did you take a break/year out to sort of clear your head too, then? I had a part-time job during that time, so I definitely know how the job-hunting thing feels. At the time, though, I was searching more for a sense of routine and purpose rather than for the money, but now that I'm going to be a student again, the money should help a little too.

Try not to feel too daunted by it all :hugs: Maybe search for some places that recruit online, or you can send your CV by email or something so at least you'll feel like you've made some progress, even if you really don't feel like leaving the house right now.

That's so good of you though, I bet that really helped! I just can't seem to bring myself to eat healthily or do exercise - I just don't feel enough energy to do so. And it's almost like I want to punish myself or something, and I do that by just getting fat and not moving much. It's such a self-destructive thing to do but the more I do it, the more I can't seem to snap out of it.

:puppyeyes:

Ooh, it sounds like our higher education stuff is pretty similar... did you take a break/year out to sort of clear your head too, then? I had a part-time job during that time, so I definitely know how the job-hunting thing feels. At the time, though, I was searching more for a sense of routine and purpose rather than for the money, but now that I'm going to be a student again, the money should help a little too.

Try not to feel too daunted by it all :hugs: Maybe search for some places that recruit online, or you can send your CV by email or something so at least you'll feel like you've made some progress, even if you really don't feel like leaving the house right now.
    Yeah I missed a primark recruitment day because I just couldnt face it yesterday I took coming up to 3 years out of education now :o: damn. Really want to get into it again and get a proper job :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Can I ask if you were drinking? I find drinking makes me a lot worse.

The psychiatrist I saw today seems to think I have a bit of a problem with alcohol- even though i drink less than everyone i know- and that was something she focussed on loads.

I know going out is normal but maybe you should avoid it if you end up feeling so bad at the moment.
    Yep :o:

I think in all honesty, I'm going to have to stop drinking now. When I get too drunk I end up either self harming, or attempting to kill myself, or having a panic attack. I don't like drinking, I can't afford it, I hate hangovers and I piss everyone else off with my moods as I go from happphappyhappy to sulking in a moment when I'm drunk.

Sigh. Not good.

x
    :hugs: Glad you've found your answers.

-

One of my friends petrified me last night. I was in a monk about something... I can't remember what, and he just kept asking me all these awkward questions, that I tried my best to avoid, the really crappy ones like 'And how does that make you feel?', you know? In the end I turned round and told him he sounded like a psychiatrist.... So he shot back that I sounded like I was a patient giving up. I think he's right. That scares me, so much. The idea that actually, no, I can't do this by myself terrifies me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    Yeah I missed a primark recruitment day because I just couldnt face it yesterday I took coming up to 3 years out of education now :o: damn. Really want to get into it again and get a proper job :moon:
    Best not to do it until you feel a bit more like yourself again though, imo. I still often wish none of this had happened these last few years and I didn't feel unhappy all the time, but I guess I need to accept that as part of me.

I understand how you feel about stuff like the recruitment day. I do think having some sort of routine or whatever will help, though, even if it isn't a 'proper' job. Good luck. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    I do both, when I feel really bad I don't eat much at all.

---

Last ******* time I watch Buffy at night on 3 hours sleep. You know those weird dreams you can get as you're falling asleep/shortly after you've fallen asleep and wake up in middle of because you know you're dreaming? Scared the hell out of me. Well, one was okay because nothing much happened and the dream wasn't in English so I couldn't understand it :teehee: But I'm still going to stick to non-monster filled ones from now on.

The lack of sleep is definitely catching up with me :coffee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    I reject it. But tbh my eating is ****** anyway so it doesn't make a lot of difference.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I need more sleep. I swear the sleep I am getting is ****, I seem to wake up at the slightest thing. Anyway, sleep before I start seeing things would be good. If I can sleep. :sad: I think I might go to my GP soon about this because it's not making dealing with everything else any easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Okay, I need more sleep. I swear the sleep I am getting is ****, I seem to wake up at the slightest thing. Anyway, sleep before I start seeing things would be good. If I can sleep. :sad: I think I might go to my GP soon about this because it's not making dealing with everything else any easier.
    Have you tried skipping a nights sleep? I never get it perfect but if I don't sleep at all then the next night I can usually sleep at 12-1am and get a good 8-9 hours which feels heavenly. Takes some will power to stay up though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Have you tried skipping a nights sleep? I never get it perfect but if I don't sleep at all then the next night I can usually sleep at 12-1am and get a good 8-9 hours which feels heavenly. Takes some will power to stay up though :p:
    I've been getting like 3 hours sleep a night. I'm already at the snappy/teary/achey/shakey/feeling sick stage, which normally takes a while for me to get to. Thankfully the only things I've ended up seeing were the stuff I get when I have a migraine/am about to faint. I'm due a migraine at the moment so it's probably that. I have tried staying up, it's not that hard but it changes nothing, except I obviously feel worse. It doesn't help me sleep at all. I'm not even having any caffeine at the moment!

I'm going to go dose up on painkillers before my headache gets worse.

---

Oh, does anyone know if it's okay to take Nytol whilst on fluoxetine? I know it essentially does squat, but I have a few and I'm hoping that maybe the added drowsiness will help me get some more/better sleep, even if only a little bit. But when I bought them (way back when I was on other antidepressants) the pharmacist said to take half the dose because the antidepressant I was on should be making me feel more tired anyway.

Wow, my thoughts are all over the place.

I feel all hot, feverish and uncomfortable. And very snappy. :notimpressed: ffs.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.