The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKIII

Scroll to see replies

kiss_me_now9
FaceBook has just kindly informed me that it's my friend's birthday today. The friend I buried on Monday. Ta FaceBook. :colonhash:

:hugs: :jumphug: :console: I'm not sure there's anything I can say to help but I can post lots of hugging emotes :puppyeyes: :grouphugs: :console: :hugs:
kiss_me_now9
FaceBook has just kindly informed me that it's my friend's birthday today. The friend I buried on Monday. Ta FaceBook. :colonhash:

Lots and lots and lots of :hugs:

I swear I'm going back down hill again
Reply 7082
steffi.alexa
Does anyone know if when you take fluoxetine affects sleep/energy during the day? I was recommended to change to taking citalopram at night to help with some sleep thing (I think not being able to sleep) so would changing from the morning make any difference?

Fluoxetine's meant to keep you awake, thats why you're told to take it in the morning. I found fluoxetine made it really hard for me to sleep whenever I took it though.

Citalopram is also meant to be taken in the morning but its slightly less stimulating I think so it makes less difference and is less likely to keep you awake.
Reply 7083
mehs :frown:
sauce
mehs :frown:

Echoed. Meh.
Reply 7085
kiss_me_now9
Echoed. Meh.

:frown:
Reply 7086
hi everyone, i'm new to this thread, i've recently been diagnosed with depression and have been on citalogram for 3 weeks. i haven't noticed any changes yet, i still feel the same, i am constantly tired, i don't really feel like doing anything, my brain still feels foggy and dead. i'm only on 10mg at the moment though. i'm seeing my doctor soon so i expect he'll increase the dosage. i was just wondering how effective these antidepressants are? at the moment i feel like nothing will work. i hate my life and everyone in it and i am contemplating suicide.
blue1092
hi everyone, i'm new to this thread, i've recently been diagnosed with depression and have been on citalogram for 3 weeks. i haven't noticed any changes yet, i still feel the same, my brain still feels foggy and dead. i'm only on 10mg at the moment though. i'm seeing my doctor soon so i expect he'll increase the dosage. i was just wondering how effective these antidepressants are? at the moment i feel like nothing will work. i hate my life and everyone in it and i am contemplating suicide.

Hey :hugs: Other people in this thread have more experience with meds, so I'll let them take the questions about them. But I want you to know that we're all here for you and that suicide is not the answer... Ever.
Eurgh, I want to rip my skin into shreds, this sucks. :cry:
Reply 7089
blue1092
hi everyone, i'm new to this thread, i've recently been diagnosed with depression and have been on citalogram for 3 weeks. i haven't noticed any changes yet, i still feel the same, i am constantly tired, i don't really feel like doing anything, my brain still feels foggy and dead. i'm only on 10mg at the moment though. i'm seeing my doctor soon so i expect he'll increase the dosage. i was just wondering how effective these antidepressants are? at the moment i feel like nothing will work. i hate my life and everyone in it and i am contemplating suicide.

10mg is a really low dose so that may be why its not having any effect. I was started on 20mg and after a month got put up to 40mg. Though then I went back to 20 as it made no difference really.

I think I do find the medication helpful tbh. Also remember its meant to take up to 4 weeks to work. But I do think you should increase your dose. And I hope it helps you.
Reply 7090
Feeling a bit brighter after a long shower and a nice swim :smile:
Just feeling like I kinda wish I had soem sort of life threatening experience that reaffiremd everything so I could get over this depression, sometimes I feel so selfish for feeling this way and so useless.
Saffie
Fluoxetine's meant to keep you awake, thats why you're told to take it in the morning. I found fluoxetine made it really hard for me to sleep whenever I took it though.

Citalopram is also meant to be taken in the morning but its slightly less stimulating I think so it makes less difference and is less likely to keep you awake.

Oh bum. So it's just my stupid body and not fluoxetine then. :sad:

---

I've only just gotten up. :banghead: I seem to be falling asleep at 4am and then waking up at 7am though, so if I can just force myself to get up then...

Feeling pretty meh today and I'm supposed to start jogging today. Urgh, that requires energy. :nothing:
Justt woken up. Had the most weird dream.

I watched an advert for some murder solving thing on BBC1, and in my dream I was solving all these murders, then I got murdered then came back from the dead and killed everyone. Freud would have a field day.
sauce
Morning, woke up with an excruciating cloud over my head this morning. I went running this morning and swim in a bit so at least i'm doing something productive. I need to look on the internet for some wardobes. Any suggestions for a website that cna provide decent wardrobes at a fair price and can deliver :erm:?

I know this is from a while ago, but last night I had another load of memories 'return' - when I was younger my parents took me to a junk/scrap yard or whatever they're called and bought a gorgeous but hideously coloured wardrobe, which scrubbed up very well with a bit of paint. It was fairly cheap but I'm not sure if places like that deliver (you can always ask). Probably the cheapest place to find nice ones though :yep:
Hello, this is my first post here. I've been depressed for near enough ten years... it was only about a month ago that I finally recognised I had a problem (I thought it was just my introverted personality or something, I'd got used to it... turns out severe depressive disorders run in my family). I was pushing everyone away, and I'm now realising how few friends I have.

Anyway, I've been on Fluoxetine 20mg for about 3 weeks. I had horrible side effects at first - during the day, all I wanted to do was sleep, I constantly felt hungry, and at night I couldn't sleep at all, and had pretty vivid nightmares.

Now, I haven't fallen into a dark hole since - before, I would cry two or three times a week simply because I was so disgusted with myself, and couldn't escape these morbid thoughts - but I still... I don't know. I don't know what I should expect the pills to do, really.

I've had counselling before but that didn't really help. It forced me to take a look at some difficult issues in my life, but it kind of skated around the actual problem - that I might have depression. Turns out I do, and I think the counsellor's apathy (if that's the right word) made me deny it even more.

Don't know how you'll all respond to this, but it's nice to know there's a place on TSR for people like me.
Idiot-Finder
Justt woken up. Had the most weird dream.

I watched an advert for some murder solving thing on BBC1, and in my dream I was solving all these murders, then I got murdered then came back from the dead and killed everyone. Freud would have a field day.

:hugs: But I'm sure Freud could have a field day with his own odd theories. :yep:
He was a cocaine addict, no wonder he came up with such silly idea's :p:.
VanillaCat
Hello, this is my first post here. I've been depressed for near enough ten years... it was only about a month ago that I finally recognised I had a problem (I thought it was just my introverted personality or something, I'd got used to it... turns out severe depressive disorders run in my family). I was pushing everyone away, and I'm now realising how few friends I have.

Anyway, I've been on Fluoxetine for about 3 weeks. I had horrible side effects at first - during the day, all I wanted to do was sleep, I constantly felt hungry, and at night I couldn't sleep at all, and had pretty vivid nightmares.

Now, I haven't fallen into a dark hole since - before, I would cry two or three times a week simply because I was so disgusted with myself, and couldn't escape these morbid thoughts - but I still... I don't know. I don't know what I should expect the pills to do, really.

I've had counselling before but that didn't really help. It forced me to take a look at some difficult issues in my life, but it kind of skated around the actual problem - that I might have depression. Turns out I do, and I think the counsellor's apathy (if that's the right word) made me deny it even more.

Don't know how you'll all respond to this, but it's nice to know there's a place on TSR for people like me.

:hugs: I'm having the same thing with fluoxetine, so maybe it's not just that my body's odd :woo:

The psychiatrist told me to expect the pills to start working in mid August (I've been on them for exactly 3 weeks today), so I think they take quite a while to kick in.

Have you asked your GP/psychiatrist about talking therapy? It could really help you to have that from someone who knows you have depression and understands it etc.
Idiot-Finder
He was a cocaine addict, no wonder he came up with such silly idea's :p:.

Really? I think he was addicted to other things too :sexface:

His theories don't half make for disturbing reading. :erm:
steffi.alexa
Really? I think he was addicted to other things too :sexface:

His theories don't half make for disturbing reading. :erm:

Yeah watched a video about it in psychology, it had only just been discovered to do what it does, so wasnt illegal or anything.

I used it in my psychology exam for the lolz since I had some extra time, saying how can't you believe what he says when he was probably high :p:, the examiner marking it was probably like :facepalm2:. His ideas sound like they were made by a horny guy on drugs tbh.

Haha yer, didn't he have loads of kids? Busy chap!

Latest