Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depression Society MKIII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    OK, I got that last bit wrong, that was actually someone else. But I remember now that he actually also wrote in another weight related thread though, that a normal looking girl with a bit of curves was unhealthy and fat basically, and needed to look like the Pussycat Dolls to be healthy, and then loads of other people in the thread were arguing with him over it. But yeah, I guess you get the point anyway. I cannot believe the amount of idiots on this site, for a forum that geared towards academics as well :facepalm2:. But like you said, there's always the nice people as well, so it's worth coming here for them :yep:
    Oh dear, people like that...

Yeah, the nice people are worth sticking around for :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I am too, but you can still get somewhere with it, maybe?

I want to be able to run though, it's kind of important to you know, in case of some really bad thing happening. I plan for the worst case :cool: It just hurts a lot more than other forms of cardio or weights.
    I've tried a few times, didn't really get anywhere. I don't think I'd be depressed if I had friends, didn't have these people ******* with me all the time and was normal like everyone else, talking to someone can't change my fundamentally flawed personality. I appreciate you trying, sorry if I sound like I'm being nasty or intentionally difficult.

If you're really unfit then running isn't a particularly good place to start I think. Maybe start (when you're ready) with something less exhausting like cycling, and then work up to being able to run. Also if you have someone to run with it would probably make a massive difference, so perhaps try to find a friend who'd go with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I've tried a few times, didn't really get anywhere. I don't think I'd be depressed if I had friends, didn't have these people ******* with me all the time and was normal like everyone else, talking to someone can't change my fundamentally flawed personality. I appreciate you trying, sorry if I sound like I'm being nasty or intentionally difficult.

If you're really unfit then running isn't a particularly good place to start I think. Maybe start (when you're ready) with something less exhausting like cycling, and then work up to being able to run. Also if you have someone to run with it would probably make a massive difference, so perhaps try to find a friend who'd go with you.
    That sounds like depression talking :p: It isn't just about talking, they also give you ways of dealing with thoughts etc so that you eventually don't have them any more.

I'm fine with cycling, that's the thing. I'm trying to follow the couch to 5k programme at the moment, but I was too unfit/cold and wet to do more than 2/3 of it today. :nothing: the only person I could go running with is a friend with anorexia and I don't want to do that to her. There is a running club in my village, but they'll all be able to actually run, so...

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like depression talking :p: It isn't just about talking, they also give you ways of dealing with thoughts etc so that you eventually don't have them any more.

I'm fine with cycling, that's the thing. I'm trying to follow the couch to 5k programme at the moment, but I was too unfit/cold and wet to do more than 2/3 of it today. :nothing: the only person I could go running with is a friend with anorexia and I don't want to do that to her. There is a running club in my village, but they'll all be able to actually run, so...
    It's not. I can count the number of friends I've had in my entire life on one hand, I've also had a personality test and going over it with the psychologist wasn't exactly pleasant. If I try to hide who I am I get more success with people but then they always end up seeing what I'm actually like and they're disgusted and *poof* I'm alone again. Talking with someone about how certain people are trying to utterly destroy me won't make them stop and it certainly won't make other people want to be my friend. Meh that's just reality.

You have to start somewhere and those people in the running club will have had to start at one time so I'm sure they'd understand. Treadmills are much easier to run on than roads so you could try building your confidence on one of those first if you have access to one.

ReputationRep:
    It's not. I can count the number of friends I've had in my entire life on one hand, I've also had a personality test and going over it with the psychologist wasn't exactly pleasant. If I try to hide who I am I get more success with people but then they always end up seeing what I'm actually like and they're disgusted and *poof* I'm alone again. Talking with someone about how certain people are trying to utterly destroy me won't make them stop and it certainly won't make other people want to be my friend. Meh that's just reality.

You have to start somewhere and those people in the running club will have had to start at one time so I'm sure they'd understand. Treadmills are much easier to run on than roads so you could try building your confidence on one of those first if you have access to one.
    :hugs: You will find friends, there are nice people out there :yep:

I don't have access to one unfortunately. I'm tempted to buy one of those manual treadmills, but I don't know, it'll probably break quite easily. I have earned enough for one in the past 2 days and it's unlikely I'll be going to uni, so...

That's another thing, when I go to uni, I'll be without my exercise bike :sad: Would it be absolutely stupid to take it with me?

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: You will find friends, there are nice people out there :yep:

I don't have access to one unfortunately. I'm tempted to buy one of those manual treadmills, but I don't know, it'll probably break quite easily. I have earned enough for one in the past 2 days and it's unlikely I'll be going to uni, so...

That's another thing, when I go to uni, I'll be without my exercise bike :sad: Would it be absolutely stupid to take it with me?
    I don't doubt that nice people do exist (even if they make up a tiny proportion of people), I do however know they won't want to befriend me. I'm the problem in all this.

Depends on your uni, most uni accommodation rooms are super tiny so you probably wouldn't have room. Though tbh, a lot of universities have very affordable gyms which are generally pretty well equipped and often even have air conditioning which is great. I didn't even know there was such a thing as manual treadmills

ReputationRep:
    I don't doubt that nice people do exist (even if they make up a tiny proportion of people), I do however know they won't want to befriend me. I'm the problem in all this.

Depends on your uni, most uni accommodation rooms are super tiny so you probably wouldn't have room. Though tbh, a lot of universities have very affordable gyms which are generally pretty well equipped and often even have air conditioning which is great. I didn't even know there was such a thing as manual treadmills
    There will be people out there that want to be your friend, there always are. :yep:

I know... IF I get into Manchester and get my 3rd choice accommodation (Whitworth), there's a free gym But the likelihood of any of that happening... My dad did say that he'd pay for a gym membership whilst I'm at uni (because he thinks it'll cure my depression :rolleyes:) but that's asking them for a lot of money really. :erm: And who needs floorspace anyway? :teehee:

Yeah, there are, but looking more at them they don't look suitable for running, so I'll just carry on on the sloping roads :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    There will be people out there that want to be your friend, there always are. :yep:

I know... IF I get into Manchester and get my 3rd choice accommodation (Whitworth), there's a free gym But the likelihood of any of that happening... My dad did say that he'd pay for a gym membership whilst I'm at uni (because he thinks it'll cure my depression :rolleyes:) but that's asking them for a lot of money really. :erm: And who needs floorspace anyway? :teehee:

Yeah, there are, but looking more at them they don't look suitable for running, so I'll just carry on on the sloping roads :nothing:
    I don't think so really....it's often just a single payment and it's not that much as the uni subsidises it so it's much cheaper than a private gym.

Not so much floorspace, as actual space. :p: My room last year possibly would have fitted an exercise bike in but then I wouldn't have been able to open the door. Anyway, you should just wait until you know what you have and how much stuff you're taking with you, if you take it and don't use it you could take it home at xmas, or if you don't take it you could always bring it later.

ReputationRep:
    A fat slice of cake is making me think less eating disorderedly, yay for the return of sanity. But why I'm hungry I don't know :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so really....it's often just a single payment and it's not that much as the uni subsidises it so it's much cheaper than a private gym.

Not so much floorspace, as actual space. :p: My room last year possibly would have fitted an exercise bike in but then I wouldn't have been able to open the door. Anyway, you should just wait until you know what you have and how much stuff you're taking with you, if you take it and don't use it you could take it home at xmas, or if you don't take it you could always bring it later.
    I think one of them at Manchester was £100/6 months, which is more than the £10/month I paid for my school gym or the £27/year I paid for the other one :teehee:

I probably won't take it (sanity has returned haha), but I'm sure I could squeeze it in somewhere, I mean, if my sleeping doesn't improve, what will I need a bed for anyway

ReputationRep:
    I think one of them at Manchester was £100/6 months, which is more than the £10/month I paid for my school gym or the £27/year I paid for the other one :teehee:

I probably won't take it (sanity has returned haha), but I'm sure I could squeeze it in somewhere, I mean, if my sleeping doesn't improve, what will I need a bed for anyway
    That's what a student loan is for.

True that, but I don't think the people you live with would be particularly happy about your bed being in the hallway. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's what a student loan is for.

True that, but I don't think the people you live with would be particularly happy about your bed being in the hallway. :p:
    If I get the cheapest accommodation in Manchester, I'll have £5/week left over for everything else :nothing:

Nah, stick the cycling machine on the bed or just on the floor and not use the room :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just when I was about to say that my favourite mug breaking has affected me too much, I'm about to sign up to Ebay to bid on a new one :facepalm: It's just a mug but... :erm: I have issues. Sod it, the mug makes me happy - it reminds me of when I was happy and I don't get that often. :haughty:

My sleep issues are getting worse :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    If I get the cheapest accommodation in Manchester, I'll have £5/week left over for everything else :nothing:

Nah, stick the cycling machine on the bed or just on the floor and not use the room :p:
    £5 a week? wow. Is that for food etc as well?

Just when I was about to say that my favourite mug breaking has affected me too much, I'm about to sign up to Ebay to bid on a new one :facepalm: It's just a mug but... :erm: I have issues. Sod it, the mug makes me happy - it reminds me of when I was happy and I don't get that often. :haughty:

My sleep issues are getting worse :banghead:
    Go for it. I'd be very annoyed if my mug got broken (teenage mutant ninja turtles ) and would try to replace it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

ReputationRep:
    £5 a week? wow. Is that for food etc as well?

Go for it. I'd be very annoyed if my mug got broken (teenage mutant ninja turtles ) and would try to replace it. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    Yeah. My parents have said they'll help out, but I'm not sure if they can afford to, especially whilst paying for my brother's braces :erm: I'm going to try and get a job as soon as I get there and am saving about £200 for it, but there are also things that I need to spend that money on now, like clothes :erm:

Haha, I've placed a bid :woo: This mug is an investment :yep: Everyone needs a Little Mermaid mug :teehee:

---

I should really get some sleep :erm: I just had a conversation with my younger brother in which he said that having insomnia 'must be awesome' :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. My parents have said they'll help out, but I'm not sure if they can afford to, especially whilst paying for my brother's braces :erm: I'm going to try and get a job as soon as I get there and am saving about £200 for it, but there are also things that I need to spend that money on now, like clothes :erm:

Haha, I've placed a bid :woo: This mug is an investment :yep: Everyone needs a Little Mermaid mug :teehee:

---

I should really get some sleep :erm: I just had a conversation with my younger brother in which he said that having insomnia 'must be awesome' :nothing:
    Could you try applying before you get there? Or maybe looking at large chain stores which have branches near you so you could then transfer to ones where you're at uni? I know you haven't got your results yet, but tbh I think you're pretty bright and by the time uni starts there will be massive competition for jobs so it can't hurt to put your CV in first saying you can't start until september then at least they will look at you first.

:five: little mermaid mug sounds pretty cool.

"must be awesome"? :lolwut: ah the naivety. Yeah I think sleep is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Could you try applying before you get there? Or maybe looking at large chain stores which have branches near you so you could then transfer to ones where you're at uni? I know you haven't got your results yet, but tbh I think you're pretty bright and by the time uni starts there will be massive competition for jobs so it can't hurt to put your CV in first saying you can't start until september then at least they will look at you first.

:five: little mermaid mug sounds pretty cool.

"must be awesome"? :lolwut: ah the naivety. Yeah I think sleep is a good idea.
    I doubt I'll get the grades to go. There aren't really any large chain stores near me, I've tried Tesco etc but none of them are hiring :sad:

Yeah haha. Having said that, he's still up too. :rolleyes:

morning :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    morning :yawn:
    Morning :erm: I still can't sleep. My mind is wide awake (although a little mushy) so no sleep for me any time soon. Did you manage to get some?

Morning :erm: I still can't sleep. My mind is wide awake (although a little mushy) so no sleep for me any time soon. Did you manage to get some?
    I feel guilty for not at least lying awake in the dark with bf Cus when I stay up he stays up so I managed to get some sleep around 12-1 till 8 so Just come back from my run, eating some breakfast before popping out to the shops. I was gonna bike but I am low on energy today.
    Really hard swallowing this damn yoghurt this morning

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.