Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :hugs: Everyone seems to have this problem but ti's something you have to get past. Getting help makes a huge difference - it helps you understand triggers/causes, medication if you want it can help, gives you someone to talk to on a regular basis etc.
    I think I expect to go and be given/fobbed off with medication, when I know that's not what I need for the most part, and I dunno, I just can't see how they can really help me, at least not better than I can help myself :unsure: I should go, if only to have doctor's notes when I need them, the lack of which has brought my marks down :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    I think I expect to go and be given/fobbed off with medication, when I know that's not what I need for the most part, and I dunno, I just can't see how they can really help me, at least not better than I can help myself :unsure: I should go, if only to have doctor's notes when I need them, the lack of which has brought my marks down :sad:
    If you're under 21/25 (depends on the doctor), it can actually be quite hard to get medication, they'll try talking therapy first.

They can help you a lot better than you can - the talking it through will help massively and they can give you techniques for dealing with certain thoughts etc until you no longer feel that way.

And yes, for the sake of your marks and your health, go, you won't regret it :hugs:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah, I suppose it will at least give me someone to talk about it with.. I'll do it once I've done my non-re-take :sad:

ReputationRep:
    My mother has finally stopped nagging me about cleaning. She seems to have gotten it all out of her system now so now I can feel mopey and down. Except I can't close my curtain until tomorrow :erm: Always freaks me out having them open when it's dark. But that's yet another irrational fear of mine :facepalm:

I have to say, today did show me that things really aren't okay but at least I'm not like this all the time nowadays :yep: Wasn't nice feeling panicky again though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I suppose it will at least give me someone to talk about it with.. I'll do it once I've done my non-re-take :sad:
    Why not go ASAP? :console: That way you'll get talking therapy sooner.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My mother has finally stopped nagging me about cleaning. She seems to have gotten it all out of her system now so now I can feel mopey and down. Except I can't close my curtain until tomorrow :erm: Always freaks me out having them open when it's dark. But that's yet another irrational fear of mine :facepalm:

I have to say, today did show me that things really aren't okay but at least I'm not like this all the time nowadays :yep: Wasn't nice feeling panicky again though
    why do you need to keep your curtains open? :mute: I'm sure you can close them without her knowing :ninja: no point feeling mopey about stuff, just play a game, or learn a language, like Greek :ninja:

do you get panic attacks a lot? [/nosey :o:] :console:

Why not go ASAP? :console: That way you'll get talking therapy sooner.
    errrm I'm not registered with a GP :o:

ReputationRep:
    why do you need to keep your curtains open? :mute: I'm sure you can close them without her knowing :ninja: no point feeling mopey about stuff, just play a game, or learn a language, like Greek :ninja:

do you get panic attacks a lot? [/nosey :o:] :console:

errrm I'm not registered with a GP :o:
    Because my Mum decided to paint my entire room today, including the window seat and it's not gonna dry for ages. She'll know if I get paint on them, she has a 6th sense about mess, she won't need to see it :teehee: On the plus side, my room is finally finished, 4 years after we moved in and possibly only 2 months before I move out!

I'm gonna play a game (my friend's lending me some of those ancient history games, they're gonna drop them off on their way to something :woo:). And I can't get past the first chapter of Athenaze because it's all confusing. By your username am I safe to assume that you were referring to classical Greek? :p:

I started getting them shortly after the whole depression thing started. they got so bad I couldn't even go to lessons without freaking out. I thought they were getting better, but they're not gone. ;sad:

Why not haha? Go register! Or is there a walk in clinic that you could go to? (I know nothing about these things)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Because my Mum decided to paint my entire room today, including the window seat and it's not gonna dry for ages. She'll know if I get paint on them, she has a 6th sense about mess, she won't need to see it :teehee: I'm gonna play a game (my friend's lending me some of those ancient history games, they're gonna drop them off on their way to something :woo:). And I can't get past the first chapter of Athenaze because it's all confusing. By your username am I safe to assume that you were referring to classical Greek? :p:
    Ah I see :holmes: I suppose mums are like that a lot? :p: what games are they bringing over?

Athenaze is a bit crappy tbh, I hate the whole learning verb forms, nominatives, blah blah, it's a crap way of learning the best way is to just jump straight into reading and words/pick up how tenses and such work out as you go. If you need help, then you know who to ask :p: I assume you mean my usertitle, as my username is latin :ninja:

I started getting them shortly after the whole depression thing started. they got so bad I couldn't even go to lessons without freaking out. I thought they were getting better, but they're not gone. ;sad:
    Yeah, that's why I'm now learning an entire language in such a short space of time. I couldn't deal with the stress of going to the lectures, because of how rude and patronising the lecturer was, even if I forced myself to, so I self-taught and went to the exam, only to have a bit of panic and not actually get myself into the exam :unsure: So now, despite being very competent, the most I will get is 40% in this exam, which is a large chunk of my year [/idiot]. A lot of it is about willpower, and overcoming that panic/fear, but you need to be very strong to overcome it, it's not easy :no: do you take anything to help?

Why not haha? Go register! Or is there a walk in clinic that you could go to? (I know nothing about these things)
    As I said, I'm used to dealing with things by myself If I get ill or anything, i just get on with it, so have no need to have a registered doctor. I think for depression you'd need one though, rather than a walk in clinic, as it wouldn't just be a one off visit.. I'd imagine :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see :holmes: I suppose mums are like that a lot? :p: what games are they bringing over?
    My Mum's just very house proud. But she expects me to clean it. :dry:
    Athenaze is a bit crappy tbh, I hate the whole learning verb forms, nominatives, blah blah, it's a crap way of learning the best way is to just jump straight into reading and words/pick up how tenses and such work out as you go. If you need help, then you know who to ask :p: I assume you mean my usertitle, as my username is latin :ninja:
    It seemed the closest to Lingua Latina, which I'm living at the moment. It's just the first chapter's boring me :yawn: I like having tables to learn mind you. Well, I don't like them, I just find it easier.

Haha, I do now. How come you're not a member of the classics soc? :hmmm: No, I meant your username - I thought that if you were into Latin it was more likely that all the references were to ancient, and not modern, Greek. though from what I've heard there's not a massive difference.

Yeah, that's why I'm now learning an entire language in such a short space of time. I couldn't deal with the stress of going to the lectures, because of how rude and patronising the lecturer was, even if I forced myself to, so I self-taught and went to the exam, only to have a bit of panic and not actually get myself into the exam :unsure: So now, despite being very competent, the most I will get is 40% in this exam, which is a large chunk of my year [/idiot]. A lot of it is about willpower, and overcoming that panic/fear, but you need to be very strong to overcome it, it's not easy :no: do you take anything to help?
    :hugs: Could you try explaining to them what's going on?

No, I think working on the depression and staying in my room a lot is helping :teehee:

As I said, I'm used to dealing with things by myself If I get ill or anything, i just get on with it, so have no need to have a registered doctor. I think for depression you'd need one though, rather than a walk in clinic, as it wouldn't just be a one off visit.. I'd imagine :erm:
    Why not register tomorrow? And it depends - my GP made me see him every 2 weeks for months, to keep an eye on me, but some people see them and are referred/given meds straight away. It depends on the doctor and how severe it is I think.

ReputationRep:
    I really wish my parents would keep some details from me sometimes. I didn't want to know all that stuff about my grandma. :sad:

My Mother's driving me insane now She wants me to organise my drawers and wardrobe for the people staying in my room tomorrow :dry: 1) You can't get to my wardrobe without moving my exercise bike 2) If they're snooping in there then they totally deserve to have my DVDs fall on them. :dry:

My mother gets so OCD when people come to stay, like we have to go back and make the house look like it did shortly after it was finished or something. :facepalm: I simply tidy and clean won't do it.

Urgh, sorry for moaning I've just had all day of her yelling at me for not doing one thing or another. I also don't have the energy - despite managing to fall asleep last night, I woke up feeling worse. :yawn: I just wanted to spend all day in bed feeling sorry for myself and feeling low but I can't even do that.
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandma but I'm sure that she is in good hands, try to be strong for her, I'm sure it will go well.
    I know what its like having visiting and having them stay in your room, very stressful :hugs:. I know what its like wanting to be left by yourself when you are feeling rotten. Just try to avoid stressful situations if you can.
    Don't worry its good to get things off your chest, that's what this society is for. :hugs:

------

I'm slowly getting my appeite back but I keep getting palpitations when I think about things...I'm trying not to let how I'm feeling get to me, I can't believe how pathetic and weak I am, letting people and reduce me to tears. People are going through worse than I am and yet all I can do is get upset. I just want to be able to forget something, despite my anxiety I've been lucky and its been a good year so far...just a few things I wish didn't happen but its a fact of life. People are going to hurt you and its not alwyas their fault. I just need to toughen up and stop being so naive. I just feel like I don't want to be around people at the moment, I feel like I just bring nothing but poison into peoples lives, I just ruin everything, I need to sort out my insecurites otherwise I will end up even more alone.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My Mum's just very house proud. But she expects me to clean it. :dry:

It seemed the closest to Lingua Latina, which I'm living at the moment. It's just the first chapter's boring me :yawn: I like having tables to learn mind you. Well, I don't like them, I just find it easier.
    Weirdo :hand:

Haha, I do now. How come you're not a member of the classics soc? :hmmm: No, I meant your username - I thought that if you were into Latin it was more likely that all the references were to ancient, and not modern, Greek. though from what I've heard there's not a massive difference.
    Err well, not a massive difference, but slight, I can swear in modern Greek :teehee: but I'm learning ancient, of course I didn't realise there was a Classics Soc, heck, I've only just discovered this part of TSR (shame on me) yesterday :ninja:

:hugs: Could you try explaining to them what's going on?
    Maybe, but I don't know how far I'd get without a doctor's note; my personal tutor, and the student support.. dude.. are both aware of it all.. but I don't know if that would be enough to change anything, particularly this late.. :unsure:

No, I think working on the depression and staying in my room a lot is helping :teehee:
    Living a sheltered existence is not a good thing :hmmm:

Why not register tomorrow? And it depends - my GP made me see him every 2 weeks for months, to keep an eye on me, but some people see them and are referred/given meds straight away. It depends on the doctor and how severe it is I think.
    because I'm not in London atm (where I'm at university, and live by default), as I'm away singing :teehee: I want to get it sorted and under control really, because when it comes on, it's just soo bad :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandma but I'm sure that she is in good hands, try to be strong for her, I'm sure it will go well.
    I know what its like having visiting and having them stay in your room, very stressful :hugs:. I know what its like wanting to be left by yourself when you are feeling rotten. Just try to avoid stressful situations if you can.
    Don't worry its good to get things off your chest, that's what this society is for. :hugs:
    My parents were talking about what would happen if my grandma died earlier :cry: I don't want to think about that - I have quite young grandparents so none have died yet and my grandma is like some immortal gets-through-everything person :sad:

I think the main issue I have is that they lovely people and so take an interest in everyone else and whilst I loved talking to them before, I don't know how I'll deal with no being able to hide or escape for the next 2 days :erm: I might go to work actually...

I'm slowly getting my appeite back but I keep getting palpitations when I think about things...I'm trying not to let how I'm feeling get to me, I can't believe how pathetic and weak I am, letting people and reduce me to tears. People are going through worse than I am and yet all I can do is get upset. I just want to be able to forget something, despite my anxiety I've been lucky and its been a good year so far...just a few things I wish didn't happen but its a fact of life. People are going to let you down and its not their fault I just need to toughen up and stop being so naive.
    :hugs: That's good and I think everyone feels like that now and again, depression or no depression, but try not to dwell on it as it'll only emphasise it. Maybe try writing things down, even if only to clear your head.

ReputationRep:
    Weirdo :hand:
    Haha yep. It just helps me recall it quicker.

Err well, not a massive difference, but slight, I can swear in modern Greek :teehee: but I'm learning ancient, of course I didn't realise there was a Classics Soc, heck, I've only just discovered this part of TSR (shame on me) yesterday :ninja:
    It's always good to be able to swear in other languages :teehee: There's a link to the classics soc if you click on 'My Societies' under my post count.

Maybe, but I don't know how far I'd get without a doctor's note; my personal tutor, and the student support.. dude.. are both aware of it all.. but I don't know if that would be enough to change anything, particularly this late.. :unsure:
    It's worth a shot and then if they want one, try and get one?

Living a sheltered existence is not a good thing :hmmm:
    But it's quiet and I can sleep when I want :yep:

because I'm not in London atm (where I'm at university, and live by default), as I'm away singing :teehee: I want to get it sorted and under control really, because when it comes on, it's just soo bad :sigh:
    Ah. Yeah, getting it sorted soon is best :yep:

Sorry I took ages to reply, my mother decided to come in and talk to me/arrange everything like a hotel in preparation for the people staying tomorrow :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I have just eaten a pizza, a plate of chips, a Vienetta and now for a few beers. I am sooo going to end up fat lol.

mmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    I have just eaten a pizza, a plate of chips, a Vienetta and now for a few beers. I am sooo going to end up fat lol.
    1) You exercise
    2) After yesterday you probably need it
    3) If its not everyday it doesn't matter

My friend just dropped off the games :woo: (Magnum: sorry, I never answered your question, they've brought over Zeus: Master of Olympus and the expansion Poseidon: Master of Atlantis until my copies arrive :woo:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    mmmm.
    :hugs: What's up?

ReputationRep:
    My parents were talking about what would happen if my grandma died earlier :cry: I don't want to think about that - I have quite young grandparents so none have died yet and my grandma is like some immortal gets-through-everything person :sad:

I think the main issue I have is that they lovely people and so take an interest in everyone else and whilst I loved talking to them before, I don't know how I'll deal with no being able to hide or escape for the next 2 days :erm: I might go to work actually...

:hugs: That's good and I think everyone feels like that now and again, depression or no depression, but try not to dwell on it as it'll only emphasise it. Maybe try writing things down, even if only to clear your head.
    I think its best just to remain positive about your grandma, maybe try talking to your parents about your feelings about the situation, you'll find that they are experiencing the same sort of emotions and anxieties as you. I hope things go well. :hugs:
    Its horribel not having your own space when you are having down days. I love my family but being at home and not having a lock on my door is so frustrating, especially when I feel like being on my own or having a good cry.

I've tried writing how I feel down but I can't seem to make sense of how I'm feeling right now, I know I should keep myself occupied by going out but I just don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    I've eaten similar amounts of food for pretty much every meal today. And then I just feel worse about myself.

Ugh, such a waste of space sometimes. :nn:

ReputationRep:
    Applying for a job for my gap year.. difference is.. my dad is the one who is in charge of recruitment at this company.. one of the questions on the application is are you related to any director or persons involved in the recruitment decisions.. I left it blank haha.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.