Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :hugs: You will find somewhere where you fit in, everyone does. :console:

As for the swimming, you probably won't get over either of those fears until you go but that's the hard part. :console:
    Whenever I see my mum, other than calling me fat or telling me how I look a mess, she likes telling me how there's no way in hell they'll ever hire me in the job I really want, the only thing I think I actually might be good at. Not everyone finds somewhere they fit in - what about that Russian maths genius? (except I'm not Russian, or a genius, of course). And she's right. The only way would be if I changed my name and erased my medical records.

I know that even if I do go I won't get over them. I'll be worried the whole time, won't be able to enjoy it and will want to leave asap. Still want to go, wish I'd never taken those ******* pills. :mad: Oh and I just remembered, my arm looks like er...something very bad, another reason not to go swimming.

What you up to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Whenever I see my mum, other than calling me fat or telling me how I look a mess, she likes telling me how there's no way in hell they'll ever hire me in the job I really want, the only thing I think I actually might be good at. Not everyone finds somewhere they fit in - what about that Russian maths genius? (except I'm not Russian, or a genius, of course). And she's right. The only way would be if I changed my name and erased my medical records.

I know that even if I do go I won't get over them. I'll be worried the whole time, won't be able to enjoy it and will want to leave asap. Still want to go, wish I'd never taken those ******* pills. :mad: Oh and I just remembered, my arm looks like er...something very bad, another reason not to go swimming.

What you up to?
    :hugs: Ignore your mother, she's wrong. As for that guy it sounds as though he either has worse problems than you do socially (as in you doesn't even try) or that he chooses to live like that. Why not give it a go for the job you want? You never know until you try and try and try. :yep:

:hugs: What about going with someone?

Not much, just about to go spend the rest of the day reading I think :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Ignore your mother, she's wrong. As for that guy it sounds as though he either has worse problems than you do socially (as in you doesn't even try) or that he chooses to live like that. Why not give it a go for the job you want? You never know until you try and try and try. :yep:

:hugs: What about going with someone?

Not much, just about to go spend the rest of the day reading I think :yawn:
    Probably apply anyway sometime, but I have another year of uni without any motivation to finish it to go yet. I looked at their medical requirements, it's quite clear that I'd be rejected straight away.

Only person I could go with can't swim. She said she'll go to the gym which is next to the pool so it might be ok...

Work reading or pleasure reading?

ReputationRep:
    So ****** for money it's unbelievable.

I'm really regretting agreeing to go on a holiday when I can't pay my fair share. My boyfriend said he's happy to pay more, but I feel horribly guilty. Never again am I going to agree to something unless I can afford to pay half. This guilt isn't worth it. I guess I'm still looking forward to going though, it will be a much needed break.

ReputationRep:
    Probably apply anyway sometime, but I have another year of uni without any motivation to finish it to go yet. I looked at their medical requirements, it's quite clear that I'd be rejected straight away.

Only person I could go with can't swim. She said she'll go to the gym which is next to the pool so it might be ok...

Work reading or pleasure reading?
    :hugs: At least give it a shot :yep:

That could work :yep: Or you could both learn to/improve your swimming or something? (I have a friend who taught his girlfriend to swim but he's a lifeguard :dontknow:)

Bit of both really, I just don't have the energy to stare at a screen.

ReputationRep:
    Lifeguard courses are useless on the whole, I have a friend who is a lifeguard and his first aid knowledge is horrific and he weights about 9 stone, I would pay to see him try drag some 16 stone guy out a pool.

This has nothing to do with the convo but I need to vent :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling quite crap tonight ..Stupid a level results day isn't helping either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Lifeguard courses are useless on the whole, I have a friend who is a lifeguard and his first aid knowledge is horrific and he weights about 9 stone, I would pay to see him try drag some 16 stone guy out a pool.

This has nothing to do with the convo but I need to vent :p:.
    Haha, what I meant by that is that a lot of the people who are lifeguards around here are also swimming teachers.

And venting's good :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Feeling quite crap tonight ..Stupid a level results day isn't helping either
    The wait is horrible isn't it? I actually want to know now. Stupid me allowing myself to hope!

ReputationRep:
    The wait is horrible isn't it? I actually want to know now. Stupid me allowing myself to hope!

The wait is vile Each day that pasts, I'm even more certain i completely flunked most exams.

ReputationRep:
    Cried in front of my sister today (which I try really hard not to do in general), cos she started talking about plans for the future. Wish I could stop acting so damn pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: At least give it a shot :yep:

That could work :yep: Or you could both learn to/improve your swimming or something? (I have a friend who taught his girlfriend to swim but he's a lifeguard :dontknow:)

Bit of both really, I just don't have the energy to stare at a screen.
    She played on DS at the side, I swam. Actually really liked it Wish I wasn't such a huge wimp about everything

reading is less energy than staring at a screen?

(Original post by superwolf)
    Cried in front of my sister today (which I try really hard not to do in general), cos she started talking about plans for the future. Wish I could stop acting so damn pathetic.
    I don't think any of that sounds pathetic. :hugs: Hiding your feelings constantly is pretty difficult and most people won't be able to do it perfectly, nor should you tbh, I'm sure your sister cares about you and wants to help you - though I do understand how it can feel like you need to put on a brave face in front of people. Also, the future is scary and confusing so don't worry about crying over it.

ReputationRep:
    She played on DS at the side, I swam. Actually really liked it Wish I wasn't such a huge wimp about everything

reading is less energy than staring at a screen?

I don't think any of that sounds pathetic. :hugs: Hiding your feelings constantly is pretty difficult and most people won't be able to do it perfectly, nor should you tbh, I'm sure your sister cares about you and wants to help you - though I do understand how it can feel like you need to put on a brave face in front of people. Also, the future is scary and confusing so don't worry about crying over it.
    That's great :yep: Haha, you think you're a wimp? I'm having a small panic attack about meeting up with a friend I've known for years for tea! That's wimpy :erm:

At the moment, yes. The book I've chosen to read after finishing the last one, however, is a bloody nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. :hugs: And yeah the future is very scary indeed. :afraid:

How're you?

ReputationRep:
    That's great :yep: Haha, you think you're a wimp? I'm having a small panic attack about meeting up with a friend I've known for years for tea! That's wimpy :erm:

At the moment, yes. The book I've chosen to read after finishing the last one, however, is a bloody nightmare.
    Hmmm...yeah but....actually, not going to go there :p: Could you change where you meet your friend to somewhere more comfortable? That might help. Or have them turn up at your house, no need to go out then.

Anything good?

Thanks. :hugs: And yeah the future is very scary indeed. :afraid:

How're you?
    Very. :yep: That probably doesn't help. Perhaps next time you're feeling okish you could try thinking of a couple of possible things you could do, and just write them down, then do whatever you were planning. Like don't focus too much on thinking up things for the future, make a tiny start when you feel moderately ok then immediately do something else because then you've made a start. I dunno....that could go horribly wrong I guess.

I'm too tired right now to be either good or bad. That's probably a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...yeah but....actually, not going to go there :p: Could you change where you meet your friend to somewhere more comfortable? That might help. Or have them turn up at your house, no need to go out then.

Anything good?

Very. :yep: That probably doesn't help. Perhaps next time you're feeling okish you could try thinking of a couple of possible things you could do, and just write them down, then do whatever you were planning. Like don't focus too much on thinking up things for the future, make a tiny start when you feel moderately ok then immediately do something else because then you've made a start. I dunno....that could go horribly wrong I guess.

I'm too tired right now to be either good or bad. That's probably a good thing.
    :hugs: I can beat you in the wimp competition, trust me :yep: No, it's because I haven't seen her in ages (since exams) so... Wherever it is, it'll make me panicky. I'm gonna do it though. :yep:

It's 'A History of Histories' by John Burrow. He uses long and complicated words every second word and I'm only on the introduction :emo:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: I can beat you in the wimp competition, trust me :yep: No, it's because I haven't seen her in ages (since exams) so... Wherever it is, it'll make me panicky. I'm gonna do it though. :yep:

It's 'A History of Histories' by John Burrow. He uses long and complicated words every second word and I'm only on the introduction :emo:
    Not sure about that, I'm pretty ******* wimpy :p: I'll wander around a shop for 30minutes rather than simply ask when I can't find something. Or just buy it online to avoid the whole process. But yeah you should meet up with her it'd probably be really nice to see her.

Haven't read that, the amazon reviews look good though. I have a really good book about the history of Western civilization; I've not read all of it (probably not most actually) but the parts I have read have been clear yet not written for retards. Called "western civilization: ideas, politics and society". Might be worth checking out if that Burrow one is annoying you.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..

ReputationRep:
    My sister just came home with a cat that followed her down the street. Then it tried to bite her, so she lured it back outside with a piece of chicken. :mmm:

Night all.

My sister just came home with a cat that followed her down the street. Then it tried to bite her, so she lured it back outside with a piece of chicken. :mmm:

Night all.
    cute :teehee: good night

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.