Turn on thread page Beta

Depression Society MKIII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Hm, I might make an appointment. It has been a while. I was once told by my doctor (he was hesitant to give me Valium) that it had the potential to be really, really addictive?

How long were you prescribed it for?
    It is addictive yes but if I have the choice between a perscribed drug and what I was set on doing then I guess the drug will do. I have only been on it a couple of days but its one of those drugs that kicks in right away rather than weeks. I think I will be on it until either the prozac kicks in or failing that until they do something else. I was told I either could take this and have daily visits or be an in-patient.. its a bit of a halfway house.

I would go, there has to be something out there that will work.. However much it seems it wont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Nah, I managed that too once.

If you really have screwed everything up, though tbh these people probably don't hate you and possibly will talk to you again (if I'm wrong ok I'm sorry), you're going back to uni right? You managed to make friends last tiem, you made friends at school so why wouldn't you be able to meet new people?
    Thanks...feeling a bit better today, its the stupid paranoia telling me that everyone is against me . I guess you can't please everyone though, managed to sort things with the majority. I already feel **** about myself I don't need people to remind me of that. I should really stop caring about what people think of me and wanting to get everyone's approval. Its driving me made and has ruined my summer, I've spent the majority of it crying over nothing. I'm determined to get happy again, even if it kills me. Hope you're ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honeyx)
    Thanks and heloo!

Tbh don't have a clue where to start and am in a bit of a dilemma. ..if anyone out there could advise in any way...v.much appreciated.

Basically... getting a letter from my dr about depression/ anxiety for my uni appeal. But is it really appropriate to tell them all the reasons for my depression?! They are definitely going to ask me

If anyones interested...this thread tells you my many problems!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1378488

yh not anon anymore but oh well no-one would ever know who I am :woo:
    General doctors are useless on the whole in my conclussion when it comes to mental health problems. Both my GP and the general doctor that saw me in A+E were both useless.

You dont need to say the reasons just show a letter saying you have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    General doctors are useless on the whole in my conclussion when it comes to mental health problems. Both my GP and the general doctor that saw me in A+E were both useless.

You dont need to say the reasons just show a letter saying you have it.
    I think the GP thats going to write my letter is more evil than useless sigh... after prescribing me yet more medication (propranol on top of citalopram) he made me feel as if I was lying to stay in uni...and I will definately be asked at the appeal meeting 'why' because otherwise they'll just assume im lying and get rid off me...

ReputationRep:
    I think the GP thats going to write my letter is more evil than useless sigh... after prescribing me yet more medication (propranol on top of citalopram) he made me feel as if I was lying to stay in uni...and I will definitely be asked at the appeal meeting 'why' because otherwise they'll just assume im lying and get rid off me...
    They have no right to ask why you are depressed if a doctors note is given.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and heloo!

Tbh don't have a clue where to start and am in a bit of a dilemma. ..if anyone out there could advise in any way...v.much appreciated.

Basically... getting a letter from my dr about depression/ anxiety for my uni appeal. But is it really appropriate to tell them all the reasons for my depression?! They are definitely going to ask me

If anyones interested...this thread tells you my many problems!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1378488

yh not anon anymore but oh well no-one would ever know who I am :woo:
    Do you mean appropriate to tell the doctor or appropriate to tell the university?

I had to give my university a note before exams and my doctor just wrote depression and then told me to write how this has effected my ability to revise rather than any reasons for depression. So I just wrote "haven't slept in days, can't concentrate, can't eat". They accepted it fine, I can't see why you'd need to go into details of why you're depressed to your university.

Also your doctor sounds like an idiot, could you see another one? They'll all have your notes.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean appropriate to tell the doctor or appropriate to tell the university?

I had to give my university a note before exams and my doctor just wrote depression and then told me to write how this has effected my ability to revise rather than any reasons for depression. So I just wrote "haven't slept in days, can't concentrate, can't eat". They accepted it fine, I can't see why you'd need to go into details of why you're depressed to your university.

Also your doctor sounds like an idiot, could you see another one? They'll all have your notes.
    Well I feel as if I HAVE to tell the dr or else I won't be believed. Basically I was diagnosed after my exams and hadn't been to the dr for over a year before that! Since my diagnosis at the beginning of the month I've had three diff docs... the first two who were lovely are on hol till after my appeal form has to be handed in with the drs note so im stuck with this one. He is also apparently a senior lecturer at my med school and knows the people involved in my case and the head of the med school so (I know im stupid) but im paranoid something terrible will happen if I ask someone else to write it (who would be a 4th dr!)

Im rambling but I hope i've kind of made some sense! and at the appeal meeting they will defo ask me why...the head of the med school has already asked me and I couldn't physically tell him...

ReputationRep:
    Well I feel as if I HAVE to tell the dr or else I won't be believed. Basically I was diagnosed after my exams and hadn't been to the dr for over a year before that! Since my diagnosis at the beginning of the month I've had three diff docs... the first two who were lovely are on hol till after my appeal form has to be handed in with the drs note so im stuck with this one. He is also apparently a senior lecturer at my med school and knows the people involved in my case and the head of the med school so (I know im stupid) but im paranoid something terrible will happen if I ask someone else to write it (who would be a 4th dr!)

Im rambling but I hope i've kind of made some sense! and at the appeal meeting they will defo ask me why...the head of the med school has already asked me and I couldn't physically tell him...
    Ah I see. Well....er, depression doesn't always necessarily have a direct cause. Like I read your post and I can see you've been through a lot but I don't see why you'd have to go through all that with them when frankly it's none of their business. There are patient confidentiality things and going through all this with people who are not doctors or, I guess because it's a med school ( ), not your doctors, I don't see why they'd be entitled to more information than any other people at university. As long as you have a note explaining I can't see why that wouldn't suffice.

You could try contacting the NUS, they have various officers dealing with different stuff and might be able to give you advice on what to do. They get paid enough so might as well be put to some use. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. Well....er, depression doesn't always necessarily have a direct cause. Like I read your post and I can see you've been through a lot but I don't see why you'd have to go through all that with them when frankly it's none of their business. There are patient confidentiality things and going through all this with people who are not doctors or, I guess because it's a med school ( ), not your doctors, I don't see why they'd be entitled to more information than any other people at university. As long as you have a note explaining I can't see why that wouldn't suffice.

You could try contacting the NUS, they have various officers dealing with different stuff and might be able to give you advice on what to do. They get paid enough so might as well be put to some use. :p:
    I know lol I have a million reasons :o: I have an appointment with the union lady tomo who knows my case so will ask her advice on this dr/ uni telling situation...just wish I had more time to sort it all out ... also have counselling on fri, first appointment and v. skeptical over what gd that will do...could they also write me a note? do counsellors do that? I am meant to tell them my million problems right? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I know lol I have a million reasons :o: I have an appointment with the union lady tomo who knows my case so will ask her advice on this dr/ uni telling situation...just wish I had more time to sort it all out ... also have counselling on fri, first appointment and v. skeptical over what gd that will do...could they also write me a note? do counsellors do that? I am meant to tell them my million problems right? :confused:
    Yeah asking that woman sounds like a good idea.

I don't think so, I thought only a doctor can give you a medical note. Don't worry about the counsellor, they'll probably ask you questions to start with you just answer whatever you want, you don't have to tell them anything you don't want to talk about. Try not to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I want to sort something out, I hope this women hurries up the shops close at 9.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling ******* **** tonight. I am actually so angry about random stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah asking that woman sounds like a good idea.

I don't think so, I thought only a doctor can give you a medical note. Don't worry about the counsellor, they'll probably ask you questions to start with you just answer whatever you want, you don't have to tell them anything you don't want to talk about. Try not to worry about it.
    Sorry im just so panicked about everything...Just want everything to be alright!
    Thank you for your advice btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Future medic I see...woop to that!
    Hope your ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    :hugs: I feel like crap too. Anything in particular wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Feel so hopeless. Trying not to think about anything and failing. I don't want to go back because I know I'm just going to be alone all the time. I don't want to do anything right now either because then when I am on my own feeling **** I'll have even more to feel **** about.

Don't see the point. It's pretty damn clear there's something intrinsically wrong with me that medication or therapy or any of that **** cannot change. Let's say I do manage uni next year and come out with my ****** degree; it's not actually going to change anything, people are still going to see me as that weirdo freak. I'm still going to be that loser who can't interact socially, who can't do basic things, who has all the scars and who no one is ever going to want to hire.

ReputationRep:
    Took a dvd back to the library today, said "hi, I'd like to return this. thanks", possibly even smiled at her even if I didn't make eye contact. For a split second I almost felt quite pleased I'd managed to say something rather than just thrust it into the librarian's hands and walk off, then I realized how pathetic that really is. A 3 year old child could manage to do it, only a 3 year old wouldn't be so much of a freak as to feel they'd actually accomplished something.

ReputationRep:
    Future medic I see...woop to that!
    Hope your ok?

Yep, feeling slightly better today, although still pretty upset about certain things, apart from that, I'm doing ok

(Original post by superwolf)
    I feel like crap too. Anything in particular wrong?
    Nothing specifically wrong, just culmination of things to be honest.

On another note, I'm in two minds about university; one part of me is incredibly excited, the other is really scared:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm having such a bad week. Haven't seen anyone since sunday. My phone has got sent off to get fixed, so I won't have it for up to two weeks.
    Still haven't heard from uni acomodation, yet my friends who are going to the same uni have, even though I applied before them.
    I just cba with anything because everything just goes wrong, I thought everything would get better when I go to uni, new start etc, but it's already going wrong.
    I think I'm just going to be miserable forever.

ReputationRep:
    I am ******* confused, I have been given Quetiapine for which I was told is used to treat bi-polar and schizophrenia but that "dont worry, you dont have schizophrenia."

I then do some reading on this stuff..

The most common side effect of quetiapine is sedation,[29] and it is marketed as one of the most sedating of all antipsychotics, albeit those claims are contested.[30] Beginning users may feel extremely tired and 'out of it' for the first few days, and sometimes longer. Quetiapine's newest indication, for bipolar depression, usually specifically calls for the entire dose to be taken before bedtime due to its sedative effects.Although the FDA approves quetiapine only for the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, it is frequently prescribed off-label for other purposes, including insomnia and the treatment of anxiety disorders. The sedative effects may disappear after some time on the drug, or with a change of dosage, and with possibly different, non-sedative side effects emerging.
    Basically what is confusing me is when there is a vast array of drugs for bi-polar... why have I been put on an anti-psychotic drug when as far as I know I am having no visions or voices and a powerful sedative?

I am very happy to take whatever I just dont like being taken for a mug. Will need to ask about this.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.