The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKIII

Scroll to see replies

steffi.alexa
:hugs: Lots of meds are useful for lots of various things. They obviously thought the sedative side of things would be of benefit to you, which it does seem to be.

Thats fair enough I would just rather someone tell me exactly what it is rather than say its a mood stabaliser and happen to forget to tell me its an anti-psychotic and a powerful sedative if you understand?
Idiot-Finder
Thats fair enough I would just rather someone tell me exactly what it is rather than say its a mood stabaliser and happen to forget to tell me its an anti-psychotic and a powerful sedative if you understand?

Well I think "mood stabiliser" is probably the umbrella term they use so that people understand the basic function if that makes sense? IMO, if it works, it works :hugs:
Idiot-Finder
I am ******* confused, I have been given Quetiapine for which I was told is used to treat bi-polar and schizophrenia but that "dont worry, you dont have schizophrenia."

I then do some reading on this stuff..

Basically what is confusing me is when there is a vast array of drugs for bi-polar... why have I been put on an anti-psychotic drug when as far as I know I am having no visions or voices and a powerful sedative?

I am very happy to take whatever I just dont like being taken for a mug. Will need to ask about this.

Don't worry, I was put on quetiapine and now olanzapine despite only having depression. If you're on an antidepressant then antipsychotics can sort of boost their effects apparently. But if you're confused about why you're on quetiapine then just asked whoever prescribed it, I'm sure they'll be happy to explain it to you.
Reply 8463
Sabertooth
Took a dvd back to the library today, said "hi, I'd like to return this. thanks", possibly even smiled at her even if I didn't make eye contact. For a split second I almost felt quite pleased I'd managed to say something rather than just thrust it into the librarian's hands and walk off, then I realized how pathetic that really is. A 3 year old child could manage to do it, only a 3 year old wouldn't be so much of a freak as to feel they'd actually accomplished something.

I do this all the time too. It makes it a lot harder when you've got a stutter to boot! :nope:

What's worse is my name is the hardest thing for me to say; so inevitably when I do stutter when I try to say my name, some people are like: "what, you don't know your own name?" etc. Pretty embarrassing!

To relieve my social anxiety I find that just walking around a town/city centre and going in shops etc really helps, just getting out there etc.
Hey guys. Havent had much chance to log in over the last few days - been very busy! First night in since... well, er, I can remember actually. Possibly 3 or 4 weeks? I haven't been able to read the recent posts but I hope you're all ok. I'm going to take a bit of a break from the soc as I'm finding it so hard during the day to be around similar people and then coming here and reading it all... Nothing personal but it's just draining me. :/ Love you all though :hugs:
Reply 8465
Today has been depressing. Idk why. I just woke-up feeling very depressed. Not nice.
Reply 8466
Today is getting progressively worse for me. :frown: I just feel bloody awful and I hate it :frown:
I hope you feel better soon Laus :hugs: :frown: waking up full of depression and dread is awful.
Reply 8467
Sabertooth
Feel so hopeless. Trying not to think about anything and failing. I don't want to go back because I know I'm just going to be alone all the time. I don't want to do anything right now either because then when I am on my own feeling **** I'll have even more to feel **** about.

Don't see the point. It's pretty damn clear there's something intrinsically wrong with me that medication or therapy or any of that **** cannot change. Let's say I do manage uni next year and come out with my ****** degree; it's not actually going to change anything, people are still going to see me as that weirdo freak. I'm still going to be that loser who can't interact socially, who can't do basic things, who has all the scars and who no one is ever going to want to hire.

Have you tried psychotherapy?
I've always been told it'd help me and apparently it helps everyone even if you're not ill. Apparently you keep learning from it years after you've had it. And it can be quite cheap privately if you're on a low income/student. And you can get it on the NHS but obviously there's a waiting list.
Today has been ******* awful
_Andrew_
Today has been ******* awful

Whats up??
Idiot-Finder
Whats up??

I'm not sure really, I woke up this morning with a feeling of despair, and the days just become progressively worst. I might go for a walk in the rain.
_Andrew_
I'm not sure really, I woke up this morning with a feeling of despair, and the days just become progressively worst. I might go for a walk in the rain.

It might be an idea if its not too wet! There are two types of rain.. rain and rainy rain :p:
Idiot-Finder
I am ******* confused, I have been given Quetiapine for which I was told is used to treat bi-polar and schizophrenia but that "dont worry, you dont have schizophrenia."

I then do some reading on this stuff..

Basically what is confusing me is when there is a vast array of drugs for bi-polar... why have I been put on an anti-psychotic drug when as far as I know I am having no visions or voices and a powerful sedative?

I am very happy to take whatever I just dont like being taken for a mug. Will need to ask about this.

They prescribe those for many different things. Kind of surprised they didn't tell you what they were actually prescribing though. :/ Just ask and I'm sure they'll explain.
Srxjer
I do this all the time too. It makes it a lot harder when you've got a stutter to boot! :nope:

What's worse is my name is the hardest thing for me to say; so inevitably when I do stutter when I try to say my name, some people are like: "what, you don't know your own name?" etc. Pretty embarrassing!

To relieve my social anxiety I find that just walking around a town/city centre and going in shops etc really helps, just getting out there etc.

Yeah I have problems saying my name as well, if people ask when I'm not expecting it, it just comes out as gibberish. Pretty embarrassing is a bit of an understatement with the kind of looks that come after that :p: Actually seem to have picked up a new problem in the past month or so, I now cannot pronounce certain words at all, whether speaking or reading. It's right there and I become completely unable to say it, get the first 3 letters then keep messing up the rest several times until I give up. This is going to make seminars even more fun.

Damn I imagine a stutter would make things a hell of a lot harder :console:

Walking about doesn't really help for me, been out more recently than in a long time and things just seem worse.

Saffie
Have you tried psychotherapy?
I've always been told it'd help me and apparently it helps everyone even if you're not ill. Apparently you keep learning from it years after you've had it. And it can be quite cheap privately if you're on a low income/student. And you can get it on the NHS but obviously there's a waiting list.

Not entirely familiar with that term....I have tried counselling, some cbt and some talking to a psychologist about apparently nothing. I'm not really able to talk to people too well which is partly why I think none of it helped, I mean even the psychologist was making fun of how awful I am at talking to people.
I don't want to go to work. I don't want to face the real world :cry:
steffi.alexa
I don't want to go to work. I don't want to face the real world :cry:

:hugs:

Spent most of the night crying. Anything sets me off atm.
kiss_me_now9
:hugs:

Spent most of the night crying. Anything sets me off atm.

:hugs: to you too.
I have decided to come off the meds.
Loz17
I have decided to come off the meds.

Why? :/ Is that a good plan? I've just done the withdrawal of my citalopram and it was pretty nasty. :hugs:
kiss_me_now9
Why? :/ Is that a good plan? I've just done the withdrawal of my citalopram and it was pretty nasty. :hugs:

I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be. I only went on them coz I couldn't cope anymore and was on the verge of suicide. I kept getting urges to bleed to death or jump off of high things so I thought I'd get help. Now I'm a lot better (not completely though) I want to get off of them and fight it to the end on my own. Trying to make myself stonger. I don't want to rely on meds anymore for happiness and I don't want to feel lie a zombie anymore.

If its the right decision, I don't know. But I'll soon find out. I'm going to try counselling or something instead. I'm not just going cold turkey.

Latest