Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Why? :/ Is that a good plan? I've just done the withdrawal of my citalopram and it was pretty nasty. :hugs:
    I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be. I only went on them coz I couldn't cope anymore and was on the verge of suicide. I kept getting urges to bleed to death or jump off of high things so I thought I'd get help. Now I'm a lot better (not completely though) I want to get off of them and fight it to the end on my own. Trying to make myself stonger. I don't want to rely on meds anymore for happiness and I don't want to feel lie a zombie anymore.

If its the right decision, I don't know. But I'll soon find out. I'm going to try counselling or something instead. I'm not just going cold turkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be. I only went on them coz I couldn't cope anymore and was on the verge of suicide. I kept getting urges to bleed to death or jump off of high things so I thought I'd get help. Now I'm a lot better (not completely though) I want to get off of them and fight it to the end on my own. Trying to make myself stonger. I don't want to rely on meds anymore for happiness and I don't want to feel lie a zombie anymore.

If its the right decision, I don't know. But I'll soon find out. I'm going to try counselling or something instead. I'm not just going cold turkey.
    Good for you, good luck with that.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Good for you, good luck with that.
    Thanks

Just thinking, new start and new experience. Why not a new me too?

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely familiar with that term....I have tried counselling, some cbt and some talking to a psychologist about apparently nothing. I'm not really able to talk to people too well which is partly why I think none of it helped, I mean even the psychologist was making fun of how awful I am at talking to people.
    It's not exactly counselling which is quite non-directive and is essentially just a talking diary with a bit of sympathy. Although, that's the most similar I suppose.

Psychotherapy is more directive, you're asked more searching questions and sort of encouraged to talk about certain things and gain a better understanding of yourself through it. The distinction between counselling and psychotherapy is often debated. But generally I think counselling relies on the 'a problem shared is a problem halved' verbatim. And psychotherapy is for people that have longer standing problems- actual psychiatric conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Thanks

Just thinking, new start and new experience. Why not a new me too?
    Hell yeah, go for it. :five:

(Original post by Saffie)
    It's not exactly counselling which is quite non-directive and is essentially just a talking diary with a bit of sympathy. Although, that's the most similar I suppose.

Psychotherapy is more directive, you're asked more searching questions and sort of encouraged to talk about certain things and gain a better understanding of yourself through it. The distinction between counselling and psychotherapy is often debated. But generally I think counselling relies on the 'a problem shared is a problem halved' verbatim. And psychotherapy is for people that have longer standing problems- actual psychiatric conditions.
    Ah I see. Not entirely sure if that's kind of what the psychologist was meant to be doing...I dunno, I might ask about it if I ever talk to them again.

ReputationRep:
    I really cant do this anymore... getting through each night is still getting tougher and tougher. Its going to take weeks for these tablets to properly kick in, in which time I am going to get worse. And there is only one level lower to go now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    I really cant do this anymore... getting through each night is still getting tougher and tougher. Its going to take weeks for these tablets to properly kick in, in which time I am going to get worse. And there is only one level lower to go now.
    :hugs: Call a helpline if you're feeling suicidal/got to A&E etc :console:

---

I keep forgetting to take my pills, I keep not wanting to and I feel like **** right now, even had some suicidal thoughts earlier. All I want to do right now is avoid the world but I've got to be at work in 9 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :hugs: Call a helpline if you're feeling suicidal/got to A&E etc :console:

---

I keep forgetting to take my pills, I keep not wanting to and I feel like **** right now, even had some suicidal thoughts earlier. All I want to do right now is avoid the world but I've got to be at work in 9 hours.
    How many times have you forgotten? :hugs:

Why dont you want too?

ReputationRep:
    How many times have you forgotten? :hugs:

Why dont you want too?
    I normally seem to remember at some point during the day but I just can't be bothered now. I just want to hide.

ReputationRep:
    I normally seem to remember at some point during the day but I just can't be bothered now. I just want to hide.
    Remember how much good you said they were starting too do.. You just need to get back into the habit of taking them.. have you took one for today?

ReputationRep:
    Remember how much good you said they were starting too do.. You just need to get back into the habit of taking them.. have you took one for today?
    Yeah I know, I just don't see a freaking point to it right now TBH. I have taken one today.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, I just don't see a freaking point to it right now TBH. I have taken one today.
    Good

You might not see the point because you have missed quite a few maybe and its not in your system as much? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Ok after a quick search of TSR all I am seeing is "dont take, side effects are awful" "never again" and "i was a walking coma."

I am struggling to find a positive thing said about it..

Im not taking my dose tonight and I will talk to them tomorrow when they come around.

What do you think? I see you hated it..

ReputationRep:
    Ok after a quick search of TSR all I am seeing is "dont take, side effects are awful" "never again" and "i was a walking coma."

I am struggling to find a positive thing said about it..

Im not taking my dose tonight and I will talk to them tomorrow when they come around.

What do you think? I see you hated it..
    Quetiapine?

:no: I'm going to agree with the "never again" (which may have been posted by me....)

What do you want to know about it exactly?

For me the problem was complete inability to think, couldn't concentrate for **** even worse than now, was trying to make notes in lectures and was completely lost, it wasn't just being unable to do work it was inability to think about anything at all. I spent hour after hour just sitting staring at the screen not thinking, not tsring, not doing anything. I put on a lot of weight incredibly quickly despite taking efforts to avoid that. But most of all it just did **** all, didn't stop what they told me it was meant to stop, if anything it actually made everything even worse, things are definitely worse now than when I started. Was on a pretty high dose of 600mg however if you're on less the side effects will probably be less.

And btw, withdrawal from it is a *****. Tried stopping cold turkey a few times ergh :afraid: If you've been taking it for a while it's probably not a good idea to suddenly stop.

I mean I saw your other post, if it's for depression or whatever then maybe it will work for you it might be worth a go. Though I still find it ridiculous they didn't bother to tell you what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Quetiapine?

:no: I'm going to agree with the "never again" (which may have been posted by me....)

What do you want to know about it exactly?

For me the problem was complete inability to think, couldn't concentrate for **** even worse than now, was trying to make notes in lectures and was completely lost, it wasn't just being unable to do work it was inability to think about anything at all. I spent hour after hour just sitting staring at the screen not thinking, not tsring, not doing anything. I put on a lot of weight incredibly quickly despite taking efforts to avoid that. But most of all it just did **** all, didn't stop what they told me it was meant to stop, if anything it actually made everything even worse, things are definitely worse now than when I started. Was on a pretty high dose of 600mg however if you're on less the side effects will probably be less.

And btw, withdrawal from it is a *****. Tried stopping cold turkey a few times ergh :afraid: If you've been taking it for a while it's probably not a good idea to suddenly stop.

I mean I saw your other post, if it's for depression or whatever then maybe it will work for you it might be worth a go. Though I still find it ridiculous they didn't bother to tell you what it is.
    So in effect the person who says it makes you a walking coma was pretty much on the button?

I think I was suppost to take 100mg today, 200 tomorrow and then 300 the day after and do that until next thursday when I see the doctor again and then decide on how its going. So I guess I wouldnt get it as bad.. but still it dosn't sound like its worth taking :confused:

Haha yeah they seem to have forgotten to mention this sedation **** etc.. :rolleyes: Probably because I mentioned that I would rather get on with suicide than be sedated when talking to one of them?

I feel sorry for who is coming around tomorrow, I am not going to be nasty or harsh because they are all nice people but they have led me up the garden path now with this, I dont trust them tbh now.

ReputationRep:
    Its just dawned on me....life isn't complicated or unfair its me making it that way...I over think things way too much but everything is so scary. I try so hard to be in control of everything that is happening and now I've just made a big mess of it all. I wish I had the guts to live each day as if it were my last and not worry all the time, this flipping anxiety is making me feel like I cant do anything normal...I'm even worried about something so simple as eating in public...guess I'm even more messed up than I thought.....*raises a glass* here's to dying miserable, full of regret and alone....:cry:

ReputationRep:
    So in effect the person who says it makes you a walking coma was pretty much on the button?

I think I was suppost to take 100mg today, 200 tomorrow and then 300 the day after and do that until next thursday when I see the doctor again and then decide on how its going. So I guess I wouldnt get it as bad.. but still it dosn't sound like its worth taking :confused:

Haha yeah they seem to have forgotten to mention this sedation **** etc.. :rolleyes: Probably because I mentioned that I would rather get on with suicide than be sedated when talking to one of them?

I feel sorry for who is coming around tomorrow, I am not going to be nasty or harsh because they are all nice people but they have led me up the garden path now with this, I dont trust them tbh now.
    Yeah walking coma is pretty much dead on.

I'm not so sure about the sedation, for me it was a lot to start with but that wore off (I think?) and it was mostly just completely empty, I think zombified is the right description.

I don't generally take anything until I've researched it myself, only let my guard down with quetiapine because most of the things I've taken don't seem to have anything like the effects of that. You sound pretty justified in not trusting them, word of warning though, they don't generally like being told they're idiots/liars and they will get you back if you are rude...

heh, I like how you put that: "they seem to have forgotten to mention this sedation **** etc.. :rolleyes: Probably because I mentioned that I would rather get on with suicide than be sedated when talking to one of them?" It's like they didn't think you'd notice :p:

You've not taken any yet?

(sorry for delayed response; I never get it write on the side when you quote me :confused: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Its just dawned on me....life isn't complicated or unfair its me making it that way...I over think things way too much but everything is so scary. I try so hard to be in control of everything that is happening and now I've just made a big mess of it all. I wish I had the guts to live each day as if it were my last and not worry all the time, this flipping anxiety is making me feel like I cant do anything normal...I'm even worried about something so simple as eating in public...guess I'm even more messed up than I thought.....*raises a glass* here's to dying miserable, full of regret and alone....:cry:
    Everyone dies alone, most people also have many regrets.

What do you think you've made a mess of?

ReputationRep:
    So after about 5 months of regular therapy, 10 months of intensive three day a week group therapy (with two suicide attempts and subsequent two week long in-patient stays) I was finally deemed "well enough" to get along with life without assistance.

I haven't eaten in over a week, my upper arms are dripping blood from razor blade slashes and I think tomorrow I'm going to find a very high building/cliff and jump off.

Apparently I'm a good enough liar to convince a good dozen therapists, psychologists and nurses that I'm fine, which just makes me feel worse really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookface)
    So after about 5 months of regular therapy, 10 months of intensive three day a week group therapy (with two suicide attempts and subsequent two week long in-patient stays) I was finally deemed "well enough" to get along with life without assistance.

I haven't eaten in over a week, my upper arms are dripping blood from razor blade slashes and I think tomorrow I'm going to find a very high building/cliff and jump off.

Apparently I'm a good enough liar to convince a good dozen therapists, psychologists and nurses that I'm fine, which just makes me feel worse really.
    Tbh a hell of a lot of psychologists are complete idiots. You don't sound in good shape to me, but that's how **** works, you feel worse and worse and they either throw more crappy useless pills or they tell you that you're fine. You got the second option. But listen up, they're not right you clearly do need some help and yes it should be there even if they're not being particularly forthcoming with it. Are the cuts very deep? Do you need stitches? Please don't jump off anything tomorrow. Are you anywhere near an a&e? Or do you think you could give nhs direct a call?

There is help out there but getting it isn't always easy, but it is there.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.