Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    How am I going to deal with uni if I can't even deal with a 4 hour a week job?!? I'm freaking out about it and woke up feeling like **** anyway.
    You CAN cope with it and you'll be fine - just think of all the great things you've achieved academically already!!

ReputationRep:
    I just stumbled across this thread, and tg, cos it's the perfect place to ask something I have been wondering. I've been on citalopram for a year for depression and anxiety. I feel so stupid saying this, but it has taken me that long to realise that it is just suppressing my emotions. I say this because I rarely cry now, and when I do, something little turns in to lots of little things which I didn't even know were bothering me. This then leaves me sobbing for at least an hour or more. I'm gonna go to the doctors next week, but I was wondering if anyone else has this? I'm scared of coming off them and being the nervous wreck I was before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Hmm, see I feel the same as you. I never want to have drugs because:
    1) I don't want to be dependant on them
    2) They will make me worse, and I can't really have myself being worse for even 1 day, let alone a prolonged period. It'd screw my life up.
    3) They're not solving the problem.
    I'll probably be shot down for saying it but I don't think drugs are necessary, and I think they're actually quite bad for you. The best way is to look at what your problems are, and deal with them head on, so say do what you said you were going to do the other day (I can't remember the terms you used :blushing:)
    Explain how you can deal with imbalances in the brain without drugs?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Explain how you can deal with imbalances in the brain without drugs?
    Hence the part you've bolded. Not all depression is hormonally induced, mine certainly isn't. I'm not seeking an argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Hence the part you've bolded. Not all depression is hormonally induced, mine certainly isn't. I'm not seeking an argument.
    Ahh sorry I thought the stuff about drugs you were saying were a general thing. My bad..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    You CAN cope with it and you'll be fine - just think of all the great things you've achieved academically already!!
    I haven't achieved anything, I could do so, so much better than that if I weren't so lazy :sigh:

---

On the subject of causes of depression, I have no idea of the cause of mine. Everything was going so bloody well for me and I just fell apart :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Everyone dies alone, most people also have many regrets.

What do you think you've made a mess of?
    Ugh a lot of areas in my life really...I never seam to learn from my mistakes...also I'm getting a bit worried about my eating...went out with some friends today to eat out and even though I was hungry I just couldn't eat...I really don't know what is happening to me...I've been struggling for a while....I just HATE food I don't see the point in it or why people would ever enjoy it....it sucks because I just cant eat out or with other people...what's wrong with me

ReputationRep:
    I haven't achieved anything, I could do so, so much better than that if I weren't so lazy :sigh:

---

On the subject of causes of depression, I have no idea of the cause of mine. Everything was going so bloody well for me and I just fell apart :erm:
    I second that ....I've been through some rough patches in my life and managed to stay positive but just as my life was taking a turn for the better....hmmm I'm just a mess...maybe its a major delayed reaction lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Ugh a lot of areas in my life really...I never seam to learn from my mistakes...also I'm getting a bit worried about my eating...went out with some friends today to eat out and even though I was hungry I just couldn't eat...I really don't know what is happening to me...I've been struggling for a while....I just HATE food I don't see the point in it or why people would ever enjoy it....it sucks because I just cant eat out or with other people...what's wrong with me
    :console: Couldn't eat how? You felt sick? Tbh even if you don't see the point in it you do need to eat, is there any food you still enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    :console: Couldn't eat how? You felt sick? Tbh even if you don't see the point in it you do need to eat, is there any food you still enjoy?
    Yeah I just felt like I had this lump in my throat and it was like I was going to throw up. I feel like such a freak!!! It must have been obvious that I didn't enjoy it because my friend kept asking me if I liked the food...I don't enjoy anything anymore...eating is just a chore. I suppose ice cream is ok and some fresh fruit... ughh ****, everything is so pants right now.

I hope you're ok anyway, enough of my complaining.

ReputationRep:
    To those of you who have been formally diagnosed with depressive illness, what will happen if I go to my doctor tomorrow and tell them I've being having very strong suicidal thoughts? Who will they refer me to, or will they be able to prescribe me some drugs there and then?

I just desparately need some respite now; I feel completey empty all the time and have no idea who I am anymore. Meant to be going to uni next month, but I've lost all interest in my subject and have no idea how I'm going to make friends in my current state of mind. Also have no idea about my sexuality anymore, which has just heightened the guilt and shame of my depression. I turned to alcohol last week, which worked somewhat to begin with, but has now just made matters worse.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to forgo doing something drastic today, but I don't know if I can hold on much longer. College starts in a couple days and I feel really ill and dizzy whenever I stand from not eating for quite a while.

ReputationRep:
    I cried myself to sleep last night, woke up this morning and cried again. I can't get a hold of it. On the Cit I had no emotions, nothing at all. Now I have too many.

All about the same person. WHY THE **** CAN'T I GET OVER HIM. He doesn't want to be anything more than friends but I can't stop hoping. Just one more kiss :cry:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I was referring to the fact you got really good grades despite being convinced that you'd done badly, plus you've done all that whilst dealing with health issues.

Your uni thinks you're good enough so they've given you an offer - now you've got a great chance to go further with your learning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irdk)
    To those of you who have been formally diagnosed with depressive illness, what will happen if I go to my doctor tomorrow and tell them I've being having very strong suicidal thoughts? Who will they refer me to, or will they be able to prescribe me some drugs there and then?

I just desparately need some respite now; I feel completey empty all the time and have no idea who I am anymore. Meant to be going to uni next month, but I've lost all interest in my subject and have no idea how I'm going to make friends in my current state of mind. Also have no idea about my sexuality anymore, which has just heightened the guilt and shame of my depression. I turned to alcohol last week, which worked somewhat to begin with, but has now just made matters worse.

Totally depends on how suicidal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookface)
    I managed to forgo doing something drastic today, but I don't know if I can hold on much longer. College starts in a couple days and I feel really ill and dizzy whenever I stand from not eating for quite a while.
    :hugs: Try to force yourself to eat. If you really can't and can afford some meal replacement drinks, they're a good place to start with getting more food but are absolutely not a long term solution. Are you getting any help at the moment?

(Original post by irdk)

:hugs: It depends on your doctor (I'm assuming that you're under 21/25? It varies with different doctors). Some doctors will prescribe you meds there and then if they feel you need them, others will refer you to a psychiatrist, which is what my G prefered to do due to the possible heightened risk of suicide for the first few weeks on them. The psychiatrist should decided what to do best for you then and it should be a quick referral hopefully.

Seriously go to your GP, I was pretty much exactly like you a few months ago but now I'm starting to feel like my old self again, it's well worth getting the help :yep:

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I cried myself to sleep last night, woke up this morning and cried again. I can't get a hold of it. On the Cit I had no emotions, nothing at all. Now I have too many.

All about the same person. WHY THE **** CAN'T I GET OVER HIM. He doesn't want to be anything more than friends but I can't stop hoping. Just one more kiss :cry:
    :console: Have you been back to your doctor? Ask about what they think could help. On fluoxetine I had zero emotions for a while but it did wear off, just in case that's putting you off all meds.

ReputationRep:
    My sleeping pattern since I started taking the tablets.

Friday 11am-6pm 8pm-Saturday1am 2am-11am 1pm-4pm

Also have a really bad dry mouth, this is ****.

ReputationRep:
    My sleeping pattern since I started taking the tablets.

Friday 11am-6pm 8pm-Saturday1am 2am-11am 1pm-4pm

Also have a really bad dry mouth, this is ****.
    :hugs: What tablets? If they're new ones, it's probably just the start up side effects :console:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: What tablets? If they're new ones, it's probably just the start up side effects :console:
    Yeah the new ones.

I dont give a **** anymore lol. Are you feeling any better?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the new ones.

I dont give a **** anymore lol. Are you feeling any better?
    :hugs: Stick it out, they may be of huge benefit :console:

I am. It's amazing the change in me from just 9 weeks on ADs, even the few lows I now have don't last long. So as I said above, try to stick it out :console:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.