Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Yeah on the waiting list for counselling... :rolleyes: just frustrating really because no one knows just how badly I'm hurting, sometimes I just want to have a good cry on my mums sholder but she has this stif upper lip approach to life ( which I'm gutted I did not inherit lol).
    :hugs: Maybe go back to the GP and explain that you think you've gotten worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    :hugs: Maybe go back to the GP and explain that you think you've gotten worse?
    I'll see how things go because I tend to be all over the place, fine for a few weeks and then low for another two weeks. THanks for your advice anyway. Hope you are ok

ReputationRep:
    I'll see how things go because I tend to be all over the place, fine for a few weeks and then low for another two weeks. THanks for your advice anyway. Hope you are ok
    :hugs: It's still worth it for those bad weeks.

I'm fine thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone . I've never posted on this thread before but I'm finding it extremely hard to cope at the moment. I know that I need some kind of way to channel my thoughts but I have no idea how to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Welcome

Feel free to talk about anything here, speak your mind.

Best way is to always talk to someone close to you IRL. Be it a best friend, relative or a doctor. At least, that's has always somewhat made me feel (temporarily) better.
    I have issues with opening up to people but I've tried speaking to friends but I always feel as if I'm annoying them and I feel awkward if I mention a mutual friend as being part of the reason why I feel the way I do. Relatives are a big no no. I'm up for going to a doctor but would there be a chance that if my medical records were checked if I applied for a job and they saw that I'd been to the doctor for mental health issues that it could be held against me??

Also has anyone tried methods of venting like artsy stuff or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    first session of cbt went well, got second session on tuesday.

I opened up about everything, havn't done that before because I thought things would be too complicated to explain. It was good.

About my suicide thread (the most recent one) thanks to the people who replied.
    Hey MP, that's great you've been giving it a go. I hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash_D)
    I have issues with opening up to people but I've tried speaking to friends but I always feel as if I'm annoying them and I feel awkward if I mention a mutual friend as being part of the reason why I feel the way I do. Relatives are a big no no. I'm up for going to a doctor but would there be a chance that if my medical records were checked if I applied for a job and they saw that I'd been to the doctor for mental health issues that it could be held against me??

Also has anyone tried methods of venting like artsy stuff or anything?
    Hey :hello:

I generally go for the avoid thinking as much as possible tactic. Plenty of movies and video games = little time for thinking about stuff. Exercise can also give a temporary escape, especially team sports.

Artsy? :p: er...playing an instrument can be pretty good, it's something to focus on with clear possibilities for visible improvement.

I'm not gonna lie, yes there is a chance of it being used to discriminate against you. However, medical records are confidential, unless you're applying for something like the army, your employer will not have access to them. Even the army would need your permission first. It's then up to you whether you want to disclose things on application forms. In the end you can not get help and hope things get better on their own or you can go try to tackle things before they potentially get out of hand. Not trying to scare you or force you or anything, just trying to give you options.

ReputationRep:
    Huh. It's been a while since I felt this low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Huh. It's been a while since I felt this low.
    :hugs: Try not to view it as going backwards or anything, in all likelihood this is just a temporary blip. Perhaps try to sleep if you can? Staying awake thinking probably isn't helping, unless of course you're doing stuff to occupy yourself then yeah, probably better than lying in bed.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone Does anyone here have anything like anxiety/panic attacks? I've had them for 2 years now, they started as a result of mild depression then the issue became more about them than the depression but now, as they've resulted in mild agoraphobia, I'm slipping into depression again. I can go for a few weeks feeling almost normal then just one panic attack can set me back for weeks
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ivebeenherebefore)
    Hey everyone Does anyone here have anything like anxiety/panic attacks? I've had them for 2 years now, they started as a result of mild depression then the issue became more about them than the depression but now, as they've resulted in mild agoraphobia, I'm slipping into depression again. I can go for a few weeks feeling almost normal then just one panic attack can set me back for weeks
    My housemate suffers from anxiety, I didn't know this until a few weeks ago. I don't think he's seeing anyone about it, though, as he's going through a "good patch". I said to him that it's best that he makes the most of that good patch by learning coping techniques and maybe seeing someone to see how he can cope with it, so maybe that'd be a good idea for you too, if you're worried about slipping into it, at least you can be prepared.

I've completely burnt myself out, yet I seem to be struggling to sleep lately too, late nights out haven't helped, but I should be crashing completely yet I'm not. I can barely move today though, so I'm going to spend the next few days in bed. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Ugh...what a night last night was... havent been that desperate/ low for a while... thanks for your support guys last night and putting up with my whinging. Its just hard when you hate yourself so much and then to have someone you hold close to you completely attack you and your character and blaming everything that is wrong on you...not cool. I don't even know who I am anymore or who I'm meant to be.... :cry:
    I know that if I'm to get better then I need to surround myself with supportive people and avoid those who make me feel worse about myself but its so hard not to listen to the voices and what others say...the mind games are too much. I thought Uni would be a fresh start but I seem to have made a mess of that too, part of me wants to go back but there are a couple of people I just dont want to face.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh...what a night last night was... havent been that desperate/ low for a while... thanks for your support guys last night and putting up with my whinging. Its just hard when you hate yourself so much and then to have someone you hold close to you completely attack you and your character and blaming everything that is wrong on you...not cool. I don't even know who I am anymore or who I'm meant to be.... :cry:
    I know that if I'm to get better then I need to surround myself with supportive people and avoid those who make me feel worse about myself but its so hard not to listen to the voices and what others say...the mind games are too much. I thought Uni would be a fresh start but I seem to have made a mess of that too, part of me wants to go back but there are a couple of people I just dont want to face.
    I know it never really helps when people just jump to your defence because you never really believe them, but I'd still like to say that solely from reading a few posts on this thread I think you are a lovely, lovely person, and I'd beg you not to listen to anyone who says otherwise :hugs:

On my side of things... I did manage to make it into college after taking a bus somewhere and sitting and just looking over the edge of my planned 'final location'. Classes didn't go too awful. Obviously I didn't talk to a single person and just sat there terrified, finishing the work as fast as possible before pulling out a book (a collection of Pablo Neruda poems, since that's the most important part of this story) and in between classes I sat in the library and cried.

Could have gone much worse though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookface)
    On my side of things... I did manage to make it into college after taking a bus somewhere and sitting and just looking over the edge of my planned 'final location'. Classes didn't go too awful. Obviously I didn't talk to a single person and just sat there terrified, finishing the work as fast as possible before pulling out a book (a collection of Pablo Neruda poems, since that's the most important part of this story) and in between classes I sat in the library and cried.

:hugs:

Is there a reason you didn't talk to anyone? I mean other than being scared (which is completely understandable). I know it would be very difficult but is there any chance you could try talking to someone tomorrow? it doesn't even have to be talking you could just look at someone who looks friendly-ish and then smile, that's all. Maybe they'd come over to you or maybe they wouldn't but it would be a start.

You could try setting a goal for tomorrow, even if it is just the smiling at someone, and then try to do it. That way you've got something to aim for and hopefully it will make it easier to set another slightly bigger goal for wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    :console:

New year, new classes so new people?

You could always join some different societies, try out something you might not have done before and there'll be new people there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    :hugs:

Is there a reason you didn't talk to anyone? I mean other than being scared (which is completely understandable). I know it would be very difficult but is there any chance you could try talking to someone tomorrow? it doesn't even have to be talking you could just look at someone who looks friendly-ish and then smile, that's all. Maybe they'd come over to you or maybe they wouldn't but it would be a start.

You could try setting a goal for tomorrow, even if it is just the smiling at someone, and then try to do it. That way you've got something to aim for and hopefully it will make it easier to set another slightly bigger goal for wednesday.
    For the past several years, even before I began to really feel any kind of depression, I was an incredibly quiet guy. I would talk to a few people, but almost never start the conversation, and absolutely never offer an actual opinion. I either observed or just pulled out a book.

As sad as it sounds, I think I've completely forgotten how to actually hold a proper conversation.

ReputationRep:
    I know it never really helps when people just jump to your defence because you never really believe them, but I'd still like to say that solely from reading a few posts on this thread I think you are a lovely, lovely person, and I'd beg you not to listen to anyone who says otherwise :hugs:

At least you made it to college thats a good start, baby steps I guess. I'm sure that you'll make friends soon enough, took me a while to find some good friends at Uni, usually the friends who are worth keeping aren't always the people you meet straight away ( what I've learnt from experience). Its only been the first day so there is still lots of time and you will get used to things. Don't throw yourself into the deep end when approaching people just do things in your own time

(Original post by Sabertooth)

New year, new classes so new people?

You could always join some different societies, try out something you might not have done before and there'll be new people there too
    Same old class unfortunately I'll be able to get away from one person but the other will not be so easy and I know that they will bring up the other person in conversation. Seeing them will be like a constant reminder and as they are a friend of my friends its going to be hard to avoid them. Never mind at least we aren't living in halls so things should be a bit easier. I'm going to be more careful next year, keep mysef to myself a bit more because I want to get better so much and I don't have time for mind games....

Hope you are ok today :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    For the past several years, even before I began to really feel any kind of depression, I was an incredibly quiet guy. I would talk to a few people, but almost never start the conversation, and absolutely never offer an actual opinion. I either observed or just pulled out a book.

As sad as it sounds, I think I've completely forgotten how to actually hold a proper conversation.
    I'm pretty much the same.

That doesn't mean you can't change though. I take it you've got 2 years of college? 2 years of sitting in the library crying isn't nice and you shouldn't have to feel like you have no other options. It does seem like a big thing to try talking to people, especially just going up to them and trying but if you start small it might be a lot more manageable.

You could try getting one of those books dealing with this (second hand on amazon, not expensive at all), or look at websites or whatever because there is advice about how to build these skills up.

Forgotten doesn't mean incapable, it means it's there you just need to remember it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Same old class unfortunately I'll be able to get away from one person but the other will not be so easy and I know that they will bring up the other person in conversation. Seeing them will be like a constant reminder and as they are a friend of my friends its going to be hard to avoid them. Never mind at least we aren't living in halls so things should be a bit easier. I'm going to be more careful next year, keep mysef to myself a bit more because I want to get better so much and I don't have time for mind games....

Hope you are ok today :hugs:
    Sounds like you've got the right kind of attitude; avoid them, if they are present then ignore them or just be polite, but don't get involved with people who hurt you. Careful not to isolate yourself too much, keeping yourself to yourself is a good idea but if it goes too far it's not so good.

Yeah I'm alrightish. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I love being tipsy, everything is better after a few beers.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.