Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I like to sit in my massive book closet in the dark and turn this way up;

http://simplynoise.com/

Sooooooo relaxing.

Massively down and fed up of everything after the weekend away.

ReputationRep:
    Mehhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Mehhhhh.
    :hugs: It'll be okay

When you're having a bad day, just remember this:

ReputationRep:
    I hate having to force myself to eat things. :sigh:

I was really close to opening up a little bit more today in one of the sessions but then I got scared and panicked and clammed up again :cry:

Thanks Bruce :hugs:

ReputationRep:

I was really close to opening up a little bit more today in one of the sessions but then I got scared and panicked and clammed up again :cry:

Don't worry, it's hard to talk to people about your problems. I've never really totally opened up in a CBT session, too scared to be honest. Last time I opened up to the Uni cousellor I was almost hospitalised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Don't worry, it's hard to talk to people about your problems. I've never really totally opened up in a CBT session, too scared to be honest. Last time I opened up to the Uni cousellor I was almost hospitalised
    I think that's a bit of the problem. I don't want them to turn around and go 'oh, actually, we can't discharge you yet as you're not ready' and then not be able to go to uni :cry:

ReputationRep:

:hugs: sorry to hear you're having a hard time with food, I'm in the same boat and I know how much it sucks and how debilitating it can be. Best thing to do is to try and have something small and regularlly. Even if it means eating every hour. Hope you are feeling ok otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Rarghhhhhh gym not good. The gym was scary and left me feeling all self concious and **** and urgh. And obsessively calorie counting as well. Sigh. I am NOT ******* trading one thing for another...

ReputationRep:
    I feel disgusting. Physically and mentally. :sad:

:nothing:

life is ****.

ReputationRep:
    ok, had my second CBT session today. I was tired which didn't help but I found it helpful to have somebody to help me look at things from a different point of view. When you are depressed it is easy to look at this more pessimistically, which makes you depressed, look at things even more pessimistically, which makes you more depressed - a viscious circle.
    I know I'm in a good mood at the moment which is why I'm saying this, I hope not but I may be on here making another suicide thread in a week. However it is necessary to cut the viscious circle to get better.

It was explained how people operate in a sort of pyramid;

-BASE = essentials = food, water, shelter, warmth.
    -1st layer = things to make you happy/more than just essentials = social contact, personal activities (ie reading, excercise etc)
    -2nd layer = personality
    3rd = religious beliefs
    etc
    etc.

When you are depressed you can take away things that actually make you feel better. For example it is easy to shut yourself away from others which makes it worse, when social contact actually makes you feel better (thinking things like "people won't want to know me for some reason" is part of the viscious circle by the way).

Also I must say one thing, if it weren't for this site, when I was depressed when still at uni' I would have sat in my room and probably attempted suicide sooner and almost certinally killed myself ages ago. Now I know you get people on here who are immature and hide behind their TSR name, then neg' you and don't leave a name, but the best thing to do is get out and get help rather than sit on your computer ALL THE TIME on here. Sometimes is ok because it does give you some contact with others, but it cannot completely replace face to face contact.

I hope all is well with everybody, I shall continue to update, and come here in times of need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    ok, had my second CBT session today. I was tired which didn't help but I found it helpful to have somebody to help me look at things from a different point of view. When you are depressed it is easy to look at this more pessimistically, which makes you depressed, look at things even more pessimistically, which makes you more depressed - a viscious circle.
    I know I'm in a good mood at the moment which is why I'm saying this, I hope not but I may be on here making another suicide thread in a week. However it is necessary to cut the viscious circle to get better.

It was explained how people operate in a sort of pyramid;

-BASE = essentials = food, water, shelter, warmth.
    -1st layer = things to make you happy/more than just essentials = social contact, personal activities (ie reading, excercise etc)
    -2nd layer = personality
    3rd = religious beliefs
    etc
    etc.

When you are depressed you can take away things that actually make you feel better. For example it is easy to shut yourself away from others which makes it worse, when social contact actually makes you feel better (thinking things like "people won't want to know me for some reason" is part of the viscious circle by the way).

Also I must say one thing, if it weren't for this site, when I was depressed when still at uni' I would have sat in my room and probably attempted suicide sooner and almost certinally killed myself ages ago. Now I know you get people on here who are immature and hide behind their TSR name, then neg' you and don't leave a name, but the best thing to do is get out and get help rather than sit on your computer ALL THE TIME on here. Sometimes is ok because it does give you some contact with others, but it cannot completely replace face to face contact.

I hope all is well with everybody, I shall continue to update, and come here in times of need.
    :hugs: I'm so happy that you are finding CBT helpful, gives me a bit of hope ( thats if I ever move up the waiting list and get an appointment).
    Thanks for your post, it makes a lot of sense, especially about how when you're depressed you isolate yourself from the things that make you happy, I LOVE to read but haven't read a single book this holiday . I think I'm going to set myself a goal to do things I would normaly enjoy again instead of wasting time on FaceBook wishing I had someone elses life and immersing myself in regret.

You're updates are encouraging, you're heading in the right direction :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Feeling ****. bleurgh

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm tempted to delete Facebook...something tells me that it will be liberating but then I will feel like I'm missing out, on what...I'm not quite sure :shot:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Feeling ****. bleurgh
    whats up?

ReputationRep:
    I want my ******* dawn now please. Fed up of the darkness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    :hugs: I'm so happy that you are finding CBT helpful, gives me a bit of hope ( thats if I ever move up the waiting list and get an appointment).
    Thanks for your post, it makes a lot of sense, especially about how when you're depressed you isolate yourself from the things that make you happy, I LOVE to read but haven't read a single book this holiday . I think I'm going to set myself a goal to do things I would normaly enjoy again instead of wasting time on FaceBook wishing I had someone elses life and immersing myself in regret.

You're updates are encouraging, you're heading in the right direction :yep:
    Yeah stick with it, you will probably find CBT very helpful, you do get alot of work to do yourself like worksheets at home so you must do those, and read them carefully because they are useful.

So far the best tips I have picked up are:

1) don't try to change everything at once - short bursts of enthusiasm are not going to deal with a long term problem, permanently. Change one thing at a time over the course of many weeks.

2) try to stop unhelpful thinking styles. For example using the words 'always', 'got to' etc when describing bad experiences contributes to putting you into a downward spiral. Stop those thoughts and put things in context (bearing in mind it is hard to think streight when really depressed). A good way of doing this is to make a time line briefly describing every major event (GOOD OR BAD) from just before you were depressed to now, and then writing down support you've had (could be internet-TSR, books, gp, pills, counsellor etc). Then write down any extra help you need and things you need to do.

3) When you feel depressed, don't shut yourself away because it makes things worse. Get more involved with people, but don't go out moping around because that will make you feel aweful because you will be aware that others will notice it (I'm not saying don't talk to others, just don't shut yourself away).

4) antidepressants can work (I suggest 40mg per day escitalopram)

5) one of the worse things that can happen is a disrupted sleep pattern, but it is one of the easiest and most helpful things to fix - a good night sleep makes all the difference. Don't just say to yourself that you should sort your sleep out, just do it and feel better. Don't get drawn into TSR all night (as I have in the past), get to bed (a good 7-8 hrs preferably with no alarm which forces you to wake up).

6) eat/drink well and healthily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    4) antidepressants can work (I suggest 40mg per day escitalopram)
    Why are you trying to suggest what medication people should take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Why are you trying to suggest what medication people should take?
    simply because it worked for me and many other people on this site.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.