Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    simply because it worked for me and many other people on this site.
    Yes but it is dangerous to tell people what medication would be better or worse for them, unless you are a doctor? Because everyone has different conditions with different symptoms etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Yes but it is dangerous to tell people what medication would be better or worse for them, unless you are a doctor? Because everyone has different conditions with different symptoms etc..
    I am not advising people who have a broken spine to be treated with escitalopram, I am quite clearly stating (as I did in my last response to you) that the medication worked for me and so it may work for you. No, it isn't dangerous, because a GP has to prescribe it and won't do unless it is safe, the patient does not prescribe their own medication.

ReputationRep:
    I am not advising people who have a broken spine to be treated with escitalopram, I am quite clearly stating (as I did in my last response to you) that the medication worked for me and so it may work for you. No, it isn't dangerous, because a GP has to prescribe it and won't do unless it is safe, the patient does not prescribe their own medication.
    Different meds work/don't work for different people. For example, I know someone who's reacting very well to citalopram. I myself had loads of side effects and so was taken off it quite quickly. The antidepressant, and indeed the dosage, is a very personal thing, something that X can't tell Y.

However, I think your point about giving antidepressants a go is a good one, they've certainly gotten me to the point where I can see the point in other therapies etc.

ReputationRep:
    Today I found out that I got put into the worst halls ever, even though I applied for the nice quiet ones, and applied early to give myself the best chance of getting them.
    The ones I've been given are known as "the ghetto" and "party central" and apparently "it's always a bit of a riot".
    As soon as I found out I'd been put in there, I just started cutting up my wrist. I've never hurt myself before, but I just didn't know what else to do.
    I was hoping I would get better at uni, but now it's just going to be crap. I'm so upset.
    Why the hell would someone with social anxiety and depression want to live in "party central"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Different meds work/don't work for different people. For example, I know someone who's reacting very well to citalopram. I myself had loads of side effects and so was taken off it quite quickly. The antidepressant, and indeed the dosage, is a very personal thing, something that X can't tell Y.

However, I think your point about giving antidepressants a go is a good one, they've certainly gotten me to the point where I can see the point in other therapies etc.
    Notice I said "it worked for me so it MAY work for other people" I never said anything about definite.

Anyway yeah antidepressants are good to use. Many people say that GPs are to readily dishing them out, I disagree with this, I think they are being used in the wrong way in MANY (not all) cases. Antidepressants may be all a person needs to feel better if they have 'mild' depression, however for someone who is severely depressed they should be used in conjunction with other therapies such as counselling/CBT/etc, and it is these other therapies that have the long waiting lists - or sometimes that aren't even offered by GPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Hmmm tempted to delete Facebook...something tells me that it will be liberating but then I will feel like I'm missing out, on what...I'm not quite sure :shot:
    I keep getting the urge to do that. Hate facebook, hate the fact I've never seen anyone on facebook with less "friends" than me. Ergh. I just don't go on it, easier than deleting it completely.

ok, had my second CBT session today. I was tired which didn't help but I found it helpful to have somebody to help me look at things from a different point of view. When you are depressed it is easy to look at this more pessimistically, which makes you depressed, look at things even more pessimistically, which makes you more depressed - a viscious circle.
    I know I'm in a good mood at the moment which is why I'm saying this, I hope not but I may be on here making another suicide thread in a week. However it is necessary to cut the viscious circle to get better.

It was explained how people operate in a sort of pyramid;

-BASE = essentials = food, water, shelter, warmth.
    -1st layer = things to make you happy/more than just essentials = social contact, personal activities (ie reading, excercise etc)
    -2nd layer = personality
    3rd = religious beliefs
    etc
    etc.
    wtf a NHS therapist tries to force religion onto you? :lolwut:

For serious?

When you are depressed you can take away things that actually make you feel better. For example it is easy to shut yourself away from others which makes it worse, when social contact actually makes you feel better (thinking things like "people won't want to know me for some reason" is part of the viscious circle by the way).

Also I must say one thing, if it weren't for this site, when I was depressed when still at uni' I would have sat in my room and probably attempted suicide sooner and almost certinally killed myself ages ago. Now I know you get people on here who are immature and hide behind their TSR name, then neg' you and don't leave a name, but the best thing to do is get out and get help rather than sit on your computer ALL THE TIME on here. Sometimes is ok because it does give you some contact with others, but it cannot completely replace face to face contact.

I hope all is well with everybody, I shall continue to update, and come here in times of need.
    I appreciate you trying to help, so don't take this as me attacking you personally, but I see a rather large flaw in your logic (not the right word but it will do) here. There are people who actually are incapable of social interaction, so saying to have face to face contact is a bit pointless there. I mean try all you can but if people hate you it's not a vicious circle to think that they hate you when actually they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Today I found out that I got put into the worst halls ever, even though I applied for the nice quiet ones, and applied early to give myself the best chance of getting them.
    The ones I've been given are known as "the ghetto" and "party central" and apparently "it's always a bit of a riot".
    As soon as I found out I'd been put in there, I just started cutting up my wrist. I've never hurt myself before, but I just didn't know what else to do.
    I was hoping I would get better at uni, but now it's just going to be crap. I'm so upset.
    Why the hell would someone with social anxiety and depression want to live in "party central"
    :hugs: My mum - always the wise one - says that you can live in the *********, disease ridden dump but if you're there with people you love, then it's far better than a perfect place with people you hate.

Please don't hurt yourself. Find another outlet :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    You could email the accommodation office, providing a doctors note if necessary explaining why you really don't think you can live there. If it's only been allocated today there's a chance other people are emailing them asking if they can move.

Tbh though, I wouldn't put much by the reputation of a halls. It's very much about the people you get put with, very rarely is every single person there a huge party animal, or even the majority, lots of other people will have applied for that one and been rejected or applied for others and got put there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I keep getting the urge to do that. Hate facebook, hate the fact I've never seen anyone on facebook with less "friends" than me. Ergh. I just don't go on it, easier than deleting it completely.

wtf a NHS therapist tries to force religion onto you? :lolwut:

For serious?

I appreciate you trying to help, so don't take this as me attacking you personally, but I see a rather large flaw in your logic (not the right word but it will do) here. There are people who actually are incapable of social interaction, so saying to have face to face contact is a bit pointless there. I mean try all you can but if people hate you it's not a vicious circle to think that they hate you when actually they do.
    Its OK I remember you saying you liked me before so I know you're not attacking me.

NO the therapist wasn't forcing religion on to me, we were just talking about how people operate/work.

Some people have social problems, I did before I dealt with them largely (asperger's) and got more confidence. Now it is interesting you say that some people just hate you. There are always going to be people you will not get on with because they are simply different from you, but for what reasons would everyone HATE you?

How are you doing by the way?

ReputationRep:
    Notice I said "it worked for me so it MAY work for other people" I never said anything about definite.

Anyway yeah antidepressants are good to use. Many people say that GPs are to readily dishing them out, I disagree with this, I think they are being used in the wrong way in MANY (not all) cases. Antidepressants may be all a person needs to feel better if they have 'mild' depression, however for someone who is severely depressed they should be used in conjunction with other therapies such as counselling/CBT/etc, and it is these other therapies that have the long waiting lists - or sometimes that aren't even offered by GPs.
    If you read studies done on antidepressants, its actually the people severely depressed who benefit most from them. For mild depression either letting it run it's course or counselling is far more effective than antidepressants.

That isn't to say talking therapies are no good for severe depression.

Gotta say I don't really like antidepressants much, they work for some people but recommending a certain one does seem a little strange. If there was a certain one which worked more than others it would be the first line treatment.

ReputationRep:
    If you read studies done on antidepressants, its actually the people severely depressed who benefit most from them. For mild depression either letting it run it's course or counselling is far more effective than antidepressants.

That isn't to say talking therapies are no good for severe depression.

Gotta say I don't really like antidepressants much, they work for some people but recommending a certain one does seem a little strange. If there was a certain one which worked more than others it would be the first line treatment.
    I have to say, it does seem though you are laying into me abit (logically thinking you are just telling me your opinion, but it does feel like it slightly).

I'm just telling people what the CBT therapist said and also telling others what helped me.

Take care

ReputationRep:
    Its OK I remember you saying you liked me before so I know you're not attacking me.

NO the therapist wasn't forcing religion on to me, we were just talking about how people operate/work.
    Fair enough. I had one psychiatrist try that, I was pretty ******* mad about it. :p:

Some people have social problems, I did before I dealt with them largely (asperger's) and got more confidence. Now it is interesting you say that some people just hate you. There are always going to be people you will not get on with because they are simply different from you, but for what reasons would everyone HATE you?

How are you doing by the way?
    Would you like a numbered list? :p:

I know there are always going to be some people who dislike you, I mean that happens to everyone. And I wasn't necessarily talking about me ( ) I was being more general in that this is a flaw in this whole therapy. If something is true then it's not negative thinking, it's just accepting the truth.

Though for the record......*nothing*

You asked, I answered :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, it does seem though you are laying into me abit (logically thinking you are just telling me your opinion, but it does feel like it slightly).

I'm just telling people what the CBT therapist said and also telling others what helped me.

Take care
    I'm sorry, I really don't mean to sound like I'm laying into you. Like I said, not too great with the being friendly stuff, I was just saying what I've read about antidepressants and that I disagree with you, friendly argument if you will?

I know you're just trying to help people here by saying what the CBT person said I'm sorry, in kind of a badish mood.

add to list: shoot people down too quickly :p:

ReputationRep:

:confused:

You said "I SUGGEST 40mg."

There is a massive gulf between suggesting someone a medication and saying it might help them.. because if you think about it.. all anti-depressants might help a depressed person?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I had one psychiatrist try that, I was pretty ******* mad about it. :p:

Would you like a numbered list? :p:

I know there are always going to be some people who dislike you, I mean that happens to everyone. And I wasn't necessarily talking about me ( ) I was being more general in that this is a flaw in this whole therapy. If something is true then it's not negative thinking, it's just accepting the truth.

Though for the record, people do tend to hate me. I look funny, I talk funny, I'm an odd shape, I have a weird smile, I smile too much/inappropriately, I don't look people in the eyes, I have no fashion sense, I don't do popular culture, I care too much about politics, I'm a weirdo, I'm one of those people who looks nervous and awkward, I'm annoying to be around, I'm even more annoying when drunk, I talk too slow, I can't think on the spot, I don't know what to say to people, I talk about random **** no one cares about when I do say things, my face doesn't react to conversations, I look at the floor too much, I'm ugly, I'm overweight, my nose is too wide, my hair is strange, I stammer when nervous, I can't say certain words, I don't ask people the right questions, I mess up social cues, I'm stubborn, I get angry easily, I'm lazy, my nails look gross from biting them too much, I'm way too competitive, I'm negative about everything, I don't care about other people's feelings, I mess up pretty much everything I try, I can't read people, I have trouble with accents......etc

You asked, I answered :p:
    the things from the list are a perfect example of unhelpful thoughts. Things you say you have such as bad hair/nails can easily be dealt with (but remember you may be overcritical), other things can be dealt with over time - if you havn't tried cbt already try it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    :confused:

You said "I SUGGEST 40mg."

There is a massive gulf between suggesting someone a medication and saying it might help them.. because if you think about it.. all anti-depressants might help a depressed person?
    oh for goodness sake don't be such a moron.

take from what I have written what you like ok, I can't be bothered to tell you what I meant more than three times. In the meantime, for the people who want to share experience/tips etc, ak any questions you like and share tips and experiences.

ReputationRep:
    the things from the list are a perfect example of unhelpful thoughts. Things you say you have such as bad hair/nails can easily be dealt with (but remember you may be overcritical), other things can be dealt with over time - if you havn't tried cbt already try it.
    Tried to deal with both of them. Ditto everything else for the past 5 years at least.

I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the basic premise of CBT; that things are unhelpful thoughts when actually they could be quite true.

I already tried this kind of therapy, I can't remember the example I gave to the woman doing it but she didn't have an answer. It was something to do with people....

ReputationRep:
    Guys can we please not argue, this is a support society not a debating one.

mathperson has said what he thinks will help, others have said why they think he may be wrong.

Let's not continue now, please?

ReputationRep:
    oh for goodness sake don't be such a moron.

take from what I have written what you like ok, I can't be bothered to tell you what I meant more than three times. In the meantime, for the people who want to share experience/tips etc, ak any questions you like and share tips and experiences.
    **** this I have been nice up until now. Stop being such an utter ******* **** and grow up.

If you have trouble with the definitions of two ******* words and put the wrong one then fair enough but dont start this "I cant be bothered" **** when your argument is a total faliure.

ReputationRep:
    Tried to deal with both of them. Ditto everything else for the past 5 years at least.

I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the basic premise of CBT; that things are unhelpful thoughts when actually they could be quite true.

I already tried this kind of therapy, I can't remember the example I gave to the woman doing it but she didn't have an answer. It was something to do with people....
    Its OK, don't worry about my interpretation that you were laying onto me.

can you give me an example please of something that is 'true' and not an unhelpful thought?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.