Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    [centre]Guys can we please not argue, this is a support society not a debating one.

mathperson has said what he thinks will help, others have said why they think he may be wrong.

Let's not continue now, please?[/centre]
    You're right, I'm sorry.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    **** this I have been nice up until now. Stop being such an utter ******* **** and grow up.

If you have trouble with the definitions of two ******* words and put the wrong one then fair enough but dont start this "I cant be bothered" **** when your argument is a total faliure.
    No other person had a problem in determining what I meant, you are just in an argumentative and picking mood. I have tried to help.
    I shall not respond to you anymore.

I hope everything goes well for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    You're right, I'm sorry.

:getmecoat:
    I don't think that comment was aimed at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    No other person had a problem in determining what I meant, you are just in an argumentative and picking mood. I have tried to help.
    I shall not respond to you anymore.

I hope everything goes well for you.
    I hope you grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    Its OK, don't worry about my interpretation that you were laying onto me.

can you give me an example please of something that is 'true' and not an unhelpful thought?
    Well, a very basic one would be "I'm stupid".

A person could work their ass off and still get **** grades. They might have worked very hard all through school and come out of GCSEs with 2 grade Cs and the rest are fails. Because of this, they couldn't get accepted to do A levels, so tried to get a job, but who will hire that person? Realizing this they did a DWP funded night course, and also failed that. Not only that but they're dyspraxic so manual labor isn't really going to happen either. An apprenticeship in something like plumbing or building isn't going to work.

This isn't that far out a situation. I mean any IQ distribution graph will show you that there are stupid people in the world. As far as I can see it's a valid statement no? I'm not saying it's good to think that about yourself, but it is the truth.

Damn, I just read back what you said. I think we're talking about different things. The woman I saw was saying unhelpful thoughts weren't based on reality, whereas you seem to be claiming that they can be true, it's just not good to think them, right?

I guess, you could say my argument still stands. I mean that person can try another college course, or can try to get into an adult entry university course, but if they've worked their ass off all their life and still failed they're exams they're probably not going to pass either of those either. In which case the though "I'm stupid" is useful in order that they save the money/embarrassment/self esteem blow that would come from trying either of those.

If you don't want to answer this, that's absolutely fine btw. I'm sorry it seemed like I was attacking you. I'll even delete it if you want.

ReputationRep:
    I'm shattered but I just can't turn my thoughts off tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I'm shattered but I just can't turn my thoughts off tonight
    :hugs: Anything you can distract yourself with? Music, movies etc until they stop and you can sleep?

ReputationRep:
    Managed to rekindle some interest in my subject, and am generally feeling a bit happier today. The gay thoughts have largely subsided, but I'm still not feeling attracted to girls in the way that I used to be. :/

Thing is, and I suppose this is why I feel very empty; I 'feel' straight in my mind as I still feel romantically attracted to girls I meet while I'm out and continue to identify with my straight friends. However, I can't force that identity in clubs or whatever if I'm feeling nothing downstairs. It's quite a bizarre predicament, which I hope is just the physical effect of some weird hormonal change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irdk)
    Managed to rekindle some interest in my subject, and am generally feeling a bit happier today. The gay thoughts have largely subsided, but I'm still not feeling attracted to girls in the way that I used to be. :/

Thing is, and I suppose this is why I feel very empty; I 'feel' straight in my mind as I still feel romantically attracted to girls I meet while I'm out and continue to identify with my straight friends. However, I can't force that identity in clubs or whatever if I'm feeling nothing downstairs. It's quite a bizarre predicament, which I hope is just the physical effect of some weird hormonal change.
    Depression, or antidepressants, can cause less feeling downstairs (funnily enough some antidepressants can cause a lot of excess feeling...:p: ). If there's still nothing when you're not depressed then it's more of a worry.

Right now though, don't let it get to you, most people think about these kind of things at some point in their life, and whilst yeah it's nice to have everything in order in your mind, there isn't any rush or anything, so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Any of you guys really wish you'd done things differently?

All my life I wanted to do one thing, and yet I didn't do it because my parents were far more into you take this path, you go to university, you finish university, you get job. It dawned on me earlier today that actually I hate studying, I hate learning this crap, I hated school and the only reason I even went to university in the first place is because that was the expected path. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Any of you guys really wish you'd done things differently?

All my life I wanted to do one thing, and yet I didn't do it because my parents were far more into you take this path, you go to university, you finish university, you get job. It dawned on me earlier today that actually I hate studying, I hate learning this crap, I hated school and the only reason I even went to university in the first place is because that was the expected path. :confused:
    What is it that you really wanted to do? :hugs:

I always wanted to be a poet, and a vagabond. Full on beat generation style. But my mother, gran, sister, teachers always stressed that I should go to uni and get a high-paying job. I don't even care about money, all my hobbies are either incredibly cheap or entirely free, and I don't want a big home, I like small places. But obviously I can't chose what to do with my own life.

I went to college today, but panicked and went to the library computers to look up bus routes of how to get to the forth road bridge, sure suicide spot. Got there and just sort of entirely broke down, cried for ages then just stared into space for hours.

I eventually went home and my mum phoned CAMHS. They decided not to section me YET, but I have an appointment tomorrow with an old doctor for a risk assessment and a discussion for new medication, specifically something to help my anxiety. This doctor never helped me before, it took me two meetings to convince him I was fine just a week after a suicide attempt, but he's a really nice guy so it shouldn't be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookface)
    What is it that you really wanted to do? :hugs:

I always wanted to be a poet, and a vagabond. Full on beat generation style. But my mother, gran, sister, teachers always stressed that I should go to uni and get a high-paying job. I don't even care about money, all my hobbies are either incredibly cheap or entirely free, and I don't want a big home, I like small places. But obviously I can't chose what to do with my own life.
    I don't think mine could be further from yours :p: I wanted to join the army. Apparently that's dangerous (yeah I'll give them that one) and it's bad because it doesn't require a degree and doesn't pay great (same reasoning they use for my wish to join the police).

You could still be a poet, or a vagabond, no? I mean most uni students seem to enjoy the latter... Poetry can be done anywhere I'd have thought, you just need a pen and paper. I dunno, don't really know anything about poetry....if you enjoy it then go for it. Do they have college courses in it, or night classes or anything where you can read it with other people which would help with your feelings of isolation?

And yeah my parents were basically the same, I have to study, follow my brothers, go to university then get a job with lots of prestige. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Bookface)
    I went to college today, but panicked and went to the library computers to look up bus routes of how to get to the forth road bridge, sure suicide spot. Got there and just sort of entirely broke down, cried for ages then just stared into space for hours.

I eventually went home and my mum phoned CAMHS. They decided not to section me YET, but I have an appointment tomorrow with an old doctor for a risk assessment and a discussion for new medication, specifically something to help my anxiety. This doctor never helped me before, it took me two meetings to convince him I was fine just a week after a suicide attempt, but he's a really nice guy so it shouldn't be too hard.
    :hugs: It's great you're still trying with college, I can understand it's difficult but it's not worth killing yourself over, nothing is really. If you can't do college then don't, people should do things they enjoy (coming from me lol).

Anxiety medications can be pretty good, addictive yes but definitely effective (they won't give you enough to get addicted don't worry). And don't worry about seeing the doctor, just tell them the truth and they will try to help you. Is there any way you could ask to see another one if you don't like this one/think he's useless? If you're not working with someone you get on with things are much harder.

I've got into the habit of only posting in here when I feel really depressed. Sorry, folks. I am going away for a week but I will pop in to say hello when I get back.

You are all in my thoughts.

Peace. x

ReputationRep:
    Heya everyone! Desperate times call for desperate measures! Is it safe to take pro-plus whilst on anti-depressants for depression and anxiety? This is coming from someone who disproves of caffeine by the way, doesn't drink tea or coffee and neither have I taken anything caffeinated in my life! :ninja: This is a one-off! Is it worth possibly feeling less fatigued and more energised and productive to churn out thousands of words of good quality for any potential harmful side effects such as twitching/jerking/having convulsions and exacerbating already existing anxiety levels and a massive headache?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and also, how long does one tablet last for? Is there the same amount of caffeine in pro-plus tablets whatever the brand? Because I've found some in-date pro-plus tablets but not in their box or with their leaflet or how many mgs is in each one. Also I can't swallow tablets so would it be OK to crush one and take it down in water or with a bit of bread or whatnot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)
    Oh and also, how long does one tablet last for? Is there the same amount of caffeine in pro-plus tablets whatever the brand? Because I've found some in-date pro-plus tablets but not in their box or with their leaflet or how many mgs is in each one. Also I can't swallow tablets so would it be OK to crush one and take it down in water or with a bit of bread or whatnot?
    I wouldn't personally, as I know that heavy doses of caffeine send me a bit wooooooooooooo anyway, let alone on ADs

ReputationRep:
    Well, a very basic one would be "I'm stupid".

A person could work their ass off and still get **** grades. They might have worked very hard all through school and come out of GCSEs with 2 grade Cs and the rest are fails. Because of this, they couldn't get accepted to do A levels, so tried to get a job, but who will hire that person? Realizing this they did a DWP funded night course, and also failed that. Not only that but they're dyspraxic so manual labor isn't really going to happen either. An apprenticeship in something like plumbing or building isn't going to work.

This isn't that far out a situation. I mean any IQ distribution graph will show you that there are stupid people in the world. As far as I can see it's a valid statement no? I'm not saying it's good to think that about yourself, but it is the truth.

Damn, I just read back what you said. I think we're talking about different things. The woman I saw was saying unhelpful thoughts weren't based on reality, whereas you seem to be claiming that they can be true, it's just not good to think them, right?

I guess, you could say my argument still stands. I mean that person can try another college course, or can try to get into an adult entry university course, but if they've worked their ass off all their life and still failed they're exams they're probably not going to pass either of those either. In which case the though "I'm stupid" is useful in order that they save the money/embarrassment/self esteem blow that would come from trying either of those.

If you don't want to answer this, that's absolutely fine btw. I'm sorry it seemed like I was attacking you. I'll even delete it if you want.
    Yes, I am saying that unhelpful thoughts can sometimes be based on past experiences and partial truths, this is quite different to be being based on facts however.

So for example your example of "I'm stupid" (does this example apply to you?) is a good one, and one that is quite hard to argue with because of the way you put it. It is always assumed that it must be the students fault that he isn't doing well (and it usually is by the way), but a techer who isn't very good at his/her job won't help the situation. Nor will no support from family/friends/help outside classroom from teacher/etc.
    Also, it may just be a subject that the individual doesn't understand very well (I can't see the point in art, and that won't change, however I am good at maths and do it at uni') - that does not mean that somebody is stupid.

I hope this helps in explaining what I mean (I think you were right, we were talking about slightly different things).

ReputationRep:
    I managed to sleep through my talking therapy thingy session :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    ******* tired and upset and every little thing is getting to me today.

Would it be a really bad idea to ask my ex to coffee (something we do occasionally anyway, so it wouldn't be a massive abnormal thing) and to try and tell him how I'm still feeling stuff for him? I don't know what else to do. And a weird, twisted part of me needs to hear that he's moved on.

ReputationRep:
    Got diagnosed with social anxiety disorder today. I've been prescribed diazepam and I start cognitive therapy soon.

College tomorrow again, wonder if I'll fail this time too.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.