Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    I take aripiprazole.

As far as antipsychotics go, they're pretty good. Nowhere near as bad as respiridone. It causes a bit of a problem with concentration, though.
    When you say it causes a bit of a problem with concentration, how badly would you say it impacts upon you?

One of the reasons I'm being switched from quetiapine to aripiprazole is because what I'm taking now makes me sluggish, difficult to concentrate and jumbles my thoughts a bit. I was sort of hoping that my concentration might improve upon changing.

They've said I can when I'm ready too, starting by halving my daily dose for a month, then alternating it (alternate days) for a month but I can go back up to the 20mg if I ever feel like I can't do it yet.

ReputationRep:
    That's good Loz.

I'm fed up. I've decided I have existential depression and apparently its more common in high achievers (though not entirely sure I am that). Unfortunately apart from one thorough article/essay I've found on it, I can't find much other info on google. Like how to treat it, which would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    When you say it causes a bit of a problem with concentration, how badly would you say it impacts upon you?

One of the reasons I'm being switched from quetiapine to aripiprazole is because what I'm taking now makes me sluggish, difficult to concentrate and jumbles my thoughts a bit. I was sort of hoping that my concentration might improve upon changing.
    It's not too bad actually, especially after you're on it for a while. It just meant, for example, that I would sort of jump from one thing to another as nothing would hold my interest for very long, even stuff I enjoy doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    It's not too bad actually, especially after you're on it for a while. It just meant, for example, that I would sort of jump from one thing to another as nothing would hold my interest for very long, even stuff I enjoy doing.
    Ah that's ok then. I was worried it might be because it was sedating or something and thus slows your mind down. Hopefully this med might work then.

i don't want to feel so angry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Different people get affected by things differently. Also, you can argue all you want about putting things into perspective, but at the end of the day your problems are relative to yourself. I can sympathise with starving kids in third world countries, and people catching HIV, but it doesn't mean I still can't get upset about sixth form not working out, and people bullying me. And it's great you've never been suicidal, but not everyone can be as strong as you.

This society may look odd to outsiders, but it can actually be quite a nice place to let off steam about things, or just to ask for advice. Anyone is free to come here if they want to.
    Sorry, I didnt mean that to sound so self superior. I meant to kind of ask about the severity that some one would consider killing themselves but I realise catergorising my own problems made it sound like I think I have it worse then most people as I understand it is relative. I guess I was just trying to fit in an outlet of my own problems somewhere amongst my question.

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    There's a vast amount of evidence that mental illness is all centered around the amount of chemicals in your brain... Depression is often linked to serotonin levels, or the lack of. Ofc there are other causes - emotional trauma and stress to name but a few - but in my experience that doesn't tend to lead to chronic depression. I can't diagnose you with depression :lolwut: or tell you that you don't have it, just that having a set of bad circumstances (btw if you want to get into a pissing contest about that, go ahead ) in your life right now doesn't make you automatically a) depressed or b) suicidal.

Pretty **** exclusive club to be part of, tbh.
    ofcourse I dont? i didnt mean to make it sound like I was in it for that, I was just reacting slightly negatively to what you were saying.

My opinion (thorugh own opinion) is that it is also sometimes cognitive. I dont mean this in the way most people describe "it all being in your head" and therefore easily treatable. I think that in such cases its down to our perspectives and how we percieve the world in a negative fashion. Ie someone who interprets peoples actions as malicious and offensive is going to be arguabley more anxious and depressed then someone who eitehr doesnt focus on the motives behind peoples actions or percieves them in a positive fashion.

I am not trying to make out I know as much or more then you I was just throwing that out there.

ReputationRep:
    Argh I have my first CBT session in a couple of months tomorrow and I haven't done my homework!! Which was to write down what I do everyday and write down thoughts and rework them. Meh.
    And I feel rubbish as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, positive thinking :moon: Yeah, it's balls for anything other than mild depression, if that TBH. Someone who's feeling a little down, sure, someone with clinical depression, however...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Ah, positive thinking :moon: Yeah, it's balls for anything other than mild depression, if that TBH. Someone who's feeling a little down, sure, someone with clinical depression, however...
    If all it required was positive thinking drugs companies would go bust over night, can't patent positive thinking :p:

ReputationRep:
    I used to have lots of positive thinking, until I ran into all the disappointments I've encountered over so many years. Now, I think, what's the point? :nothing: :moon:

ReputationRep:
    The panic attacks, lack of motivation and feeling low are back. There are 3 things that I can see causing this: 1) the meds aren't doing much any more 2) it's a stressful time for me right now or 3) the implant is making my depression worse.

Let it be 2 :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Sorry, I didnt mean that to sound so self superior. I meant to kind of ask about the severity that some one would consider killing themselves but I realise catergorising my own problems made it sound like I think I have it worse then most people as I understand it is relative. I guess I was just trying to fit in an outlet of my own problems somewhere amongst my question.

ofcourse I dont? i didnt mean to make it sound like I was in it for that, I was just reacting slightly negatively to what you were saying.

My opinion (thorugh own opinion) is that it is also sometimes cognitive. I dont mean this in the way most people describe "it all being in your head" and therefore easily treatable. I think that in such cases its down to our perspectives and how we percieve the world in a negative fashion. Ie someone who interprets peoples actions as malicious and offensive is going to be arguabley more anxious and depressed then someone who eitehr doesnt focus on the motives behind peoples actions or percieves them in a positive fashion.

I am not trying to make out I know as much or more then you I was just throwing that out there.
    Depression.. Bi-Polar... Schizophenia.. have all been linked to differences in certain chemicals within the brain.. I think studies have proved it pretty much conclusively now..

ReputationRep:
    The panic attacks, lack of motivation and feeling low are back. There are 3 things that I can see causing this: 1) the meds aren't doing much any more 2) it's a stressful time for me right now or 3) the implant is making my depression worse.

:hugs: Just try and get through this week if you can and see how you feel at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    :hugs: Just try and get through this week if you can and see how you feel at the end of it.
    Hmm. I'm worried it's the implant though. I don't want it out if it's not going to cause other problems but I really really really don't want to go back to how I used to be. :erm:

ReputationRep:

At least you've got uni to look forward to this term :console:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I'm worried it's the implant though. I don't want it out if it's not going to cause other problems but I really really really don't want to go back to how I used to be. :erm:
    How long have you been feeling like this? It could be either.. but if you can get to the end of the week after you have moved in and you are still feeling like this then it is more than likely the implant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    At least you've got uni to look forward to this term :console:
    If I end up how I was just a few weeks/months ago, there is no way I'll cope at uni. I'll end up dead/in hospital.

How long have you been feeling like this? It could be either.. but if you can get to the end of the week after you have moved in and you are still feeling like this then it is more than likely the implant.
    Since the weekend, roughly. I didn't feel like this at all before the implant was put in but that might be a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    Since the weekend, roughly. I didn't feel like this at all before the implant was put in but that might be a coincidence.
    Its either that or the fact that you are now one week away from uni.. its perfectly possible its either. Its up to you.. but moving to uni is stressfull for anyone.. depression or not.. Do you think you will be able to wait it out too see? If its too bad.. then go get it sorted out :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Its either that or the fact that you are now one week away from uni.. its perfectly possible its either. Its up to you.. but moving to uni is stressfull for anyone.. depression or not.. Do you think you will be able to wait it out too see? If its too bad.. then go get it sorted out :hugs:
    I'm still going to uni, I'm too stubborn to not go now. I just, I dunno. I'm in the 'if I didn't exist' stage which beats being a few stages worse than that. Oh well, can't always been 100%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.