Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Saffie)
    How do you guys keep yourselves busy? I'm so sick of watching TV.
    I'm moving back to uni on monday and I dont think I'll have a TV or the internet in my room. I don't wanna see people, argh..
    Enjoying a sport/exercise is a good one if you can be bothered. Computer games are pretty good as well, reading if you can hold your concentration enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Maybe see about some sleeping tablets?
    Can you get those from a GP or does it have to be through a psychiatrist? I know my insomnia is totally linked to depression and I haven't really slept in 4 days :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGhostofODonahue)
    Can you get those from a GP or does it have to be through a psychiatrist? I know my insomnia is totally linked to depression and I haven't really slept in 4 days :o:
    Either will be able to give you them

I hope you manage to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Either will be able to give you them

I hope you manage to sort it out.
    Oh, awesome

Thanks :o: I've hardly slept or eaten in almost a week, my mum's going nuts. Plus my second doctor left last week and the new one's ill. Soooo helpful

But, yeah, cheers :yy:

ReputationRep:
    :cry:
    I'm going to call my liason nurse tomorrow. I really don't want to, she's actually pretty **** but I need support. I'm terrified. I just can't do this anymore. I also need to call up my doctor. I can't fight the eating disorder AND the depression, they're feeding into each other. I feel like either way I'm going to die and I keep getting the 'you're going to end up back in hospital' talk from my sister and my dad and I don't want to worry them so I've been trying to eat more the past 2 days but it's too much and I'm so so tired. I can't concentrate on my school work, a few hours before it was because I was suicidal and now it's because I've eaten and I just feel so weak. I've realised I've only been out of hospital for a month and things are already going to ****.
    I have to pass my exams and survive this year and go to uni, I can't miss another year. I have to carry on but I can't function right now. :cry:

Sorry for the selfish rant. Please don't hate me. I feel like such a failure at everything. And now I sound self pitying. :mad: :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    Enjoying a sport/exercise is a good one if you can be bothered. Computer games are pretty good as well, reading if you can hold your concentration enough
    I''ve never really been into computer games tbh. Perhaps its something I should look into. I'm not sure what sort of games I'd really like.

I read sometimes but am running out of books and have lost enthusiasm recently. I'm thinking about going swimming and going to some yoga classes at uni but i'm pretty nervous. I dont really like going to new places and having to organise memberships and stuff. But I figure if I can make myself go see psychiatrists I must be able to do this stuff.

I did play a sport at uni but I have CBT at that time now which I doubt I can change.. but I suppose its worth a try. Eek. Life is scary.

Thanks sabertooth and idiot-finder for your suggestions too.

Diamonddust :hugs: You seem pretty lovely to me and you're more than welcome to rant here. You obviously feel really rough at the moment and I hope your nurse and doctor are helpful.
    Are you getting any therapy at the moment? You can get it privately quite quickly I think and some places have reduced rates for students.

I think you should take each day and week as they come, don't worry about messing the school year up, it's not that important. Loads of people go to uni when after a few years out of education. You being okay is the most important thing, and you really will get better, don't give up hope.

I''ve never really been into computer games tbh. Perhaps its something I should look into. I'm not sure what sort of games I'd really like.

I read sometimes but am running out of books and have lost enthusiasm recently. I'm thinking about going swimming and going to some yoga classes at uni but i'm pretty nervous. I dont really like going to new places and having to organise memberships and stuff. But I figure if I can make myself go see psychiatrists I must be able to do this stuff.

I did play a sport at uni but I have CBT at that time now which I doubt I can change.. but I suppose its worth a try. Eek. Life is scary.

Thanks sabertooth and idiot-finder for your suggestions too.

Diamonddust :hugs: You seem pretty lovely to me and you're more than welcome to rant here. You obviously feel really rough at the moment and I hope your nurse and doctor are helpful.
    Are you getting any therapy at the moment? You can get it privately quite quickly I think and some places have reduced rates for students.

I think you should take each day and week as they come, don't worry about messing the school year up, it's not that important. Loads of people go to uni when after a few years out of education. You being okay is the most important thing, and you really will get better, don't give up hope.
    I'm sure you can do it and the endorphins may make you feel better(Short term anyway) they do me anyway

diamonddust: I agree with Saffie here taking a few years out from education before university isn't the end of the world. I am just completing an Access to Higher Education course for 2011 entry and I'll be 21 by then and school friends would of been graduated by then. As I said it's not a biggie though as I'm in a much better place now and I was in an awful awful place then constantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    :cry:
    I'm going to call my liason nurse tomorrow. I really don't want to, she's actually pretty **** but I need support. I'm terrified. I just can't do this anymore. I also need to call up my doctor. I can't fight the eating disorder AND the depression, they're feeding into each other. I feel like either way I'm going to die and I keep getting the 'you're going to end up back in hospital' talk from my sister and my dad and I don't want to worry them so I've been trying to eat more the past 2 days but it's too much and I'm so so tired. I can't concentrate on my school work, a few hours before it was because I was suicidal and now it's because I've eaten and I just feel so weak. I've realised I've only been out of hospital for a month and things are already going to ****.
    I have to pass my exams and survive this year and go to uni, I can't miss another year. I have to carry on but I can't function right now. :cry:

Sorry for the selfish rant. Please don't hate me. I feel like such a failure at everything. And now I sound self pitying. :mad: :cry:
    :hugs: we don't hate you, and you're not being selfish, this thread is designed for ranting. Calling your nurse sounds like a good idea, but please be truthful with her, I can understand it's frightening what you're feeling but you need to be truthful with people for them to be able to help you best.

I also agree with saffie, don't worry about the exams, they're not the end of the world, plenty of people don't go to university immediately but take time out. Your health is far more important than exams.

ReputationRep:
    If you want any recommendations then hit me up and I'll try to help. One of the few things I know a fair bit about :p:

ReputationRep:
    I feel quite envious of you guys, I know you feel like crap just like I do, but at least you're doing stuff. I've been at home for two years now without a proper job, I'm 20, which feels a lot older than 18, I feel like I'm gonna be oooold by the time I get to uni - if I ever get there - and what am I gonna say when people ask me about these two years? Being virtually housebound and miserable is only glamourous if you're a raving genius like Van Gogh.

I knew it. Woke up in a panic. Now feel like I'm about to be sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    I feel quite envious of you guys, I know you feel like crap just like I do, but at least you're doing stuff. I've been at home for two years now without a proper job, I'm 20, which feels a lot older than 18, I feel like I'm gonna be oooold by the time I get to uni - if I ever get there - and what am I gonna say when people ask me about these two years? Being virtually housebound and miserable is only glamourous if you're a raving genius like Van Gogh.
    Tbh it sounds like you're doing the sensible thing, I went to uni when I probably shouldn't have, ****** up, dropped out, ****** about at home, then came back because I was so bored and now I hate every second of it. Afaics there's no point doing uni if you hate it and if it's just going to make you feel worse. I'll be 23 when I graduate, different people go to uni at different ages and tbh as long as you're not visibly older (like 45) no one is going to care how old you are, I don't even remember being asked, people just assume so I wouldn't worry there.

That probably sounds extremely patronizing, but it's really not meant to, I'm just trying to say that everyone does different things at different points and what other people are doing might not be the right thing for you personally to do. Take things at your own pace, you're 20, you're young you have years and years and years to go to uni and do whatever you want in life. I guess you could say that at least you've got time to really think about what you want to do at uni/in life rather than rushing to uni just because it's what everyone else is doing.

What are you up to btw? Dunno what you'd be capable of doing but have you thought about maybe trying to learn a language or an instrument or something else that will give you some sense of achievement and something to fill your time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I knew it. Woke up in a panic. Now feel like I'm about to be sick.
    What's up? :console:

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    What's up? :console:
    1st night at uni. New place, new people and away from those I love and whom comfort me and keep me sane.

Taken my tablet but its done **** all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    1st night at uni. New place, new people and away from those I love and whom comfort me and keep me sane.

:hugs:

Sounds kind of gay, I know....do you have a teddy? Maybe put up some photos from home, when you first get to uni everything feels strange so anything to help it feel more like home might help. If you can't sleep don't worry about it too much, have you unpacked? Try finding something to do to occupy yourself perhaps. Rearrage books, put dvds in alphabetical order...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)

Chin up mate

And i need to get those stupid tablets

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    :hugs:

Sounds kind of gay, I know....do you have a teddy? Maybe put up some photos from home, when you first get to uni everything feels strange so anything to help it feel more like home might help. If you can't sleep don't worry about it too much, have you unpacked? Try finding something to do to occupy yourself perhaps. Rearrage books, put dvds in alphabetical order...
    Yea I unpacked, don't really have pictures of home :sad: I need to grab some negatives when I go back home to get some pictures up. I have a teddy with me but didn't really help. I got back to sleep after a while though.
    (Original post by Sine)
    Chin up mate

And i need to get those stupid tablets
    I'll be ok soon once I've settled but might take a while :sad:

:hugs: Thanks. They do help a bit but I'm seeing no improvement now and I need to try and get better. I want to feel something again rather than being zombie like so I'll come off them soon

ReputationRep:
    New friends of mine are starting to cotton on to the fact that I'm not very well and could be suffering from depression etc. I've mentioned the fact that I've had to see a psychologist/counsellor or whatever be it for CBT or even visiting my GP. I don't know why, but I always feel so ashamed when someone finds out, as though I'm weak somehow, but the fact is they're there to help after all. I don't know why I can't tell more people or allow them to understand better, but I just worry that it comes across as attention-seeking and my family have mentioned that it's best to say I'm just fine for now. Or lie and say I had problems in the past but am 'absolutely fine' now when that's not true at all - I'm dealing with it every day... I'm even more worried because I'm off to uni in a few days and have to deal with even more people.

ReputationRep:
    I just need to get the balls.. Why am I such a ******* coward.

ReputationRep:
    Bleah. Tried to do some studying and couldn't understand a word. Gave up after five minutes.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.